• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.J.

Smash Master
When recovering you both use your second jump way to loosely. Nike, you lost your first life, first stock because of it. Rei-gun, you probably wouldn't have SD 2nd game, last stock.

Nike, when you're on the ledge, and you drop off, double jump back on w/ nair or fair, quit DIing into them. You KNOW they're going to shield. You're giving them a free grab. Fall back the ledge, you knocked their shield down some. Next time, use a SB or just jump directly from the ledge. Just don't DI into them.

Both: Your best shield pressure when they're on the platform above you is nair. After that is utilt.

There are a few times you both tried to punish a whiffed DS w/ an aerial. Usmash is your most damaging move. Use it when they're going for a low platform/the ground.

You both walk away a lot to reset neutral which is good. However you rarely use walking to approach.

*insert compliments here about stuff you both already know you're doing well*

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
nice ftilt usage by reigun.

Saw some nice nair usage by reigun earlier in the match (channelling the shayamode) but then he fizzled.

second match...
ps2 da best stage ever for marth.
Your edge play is atrocious reigun. You always get up into a grab from nike...

C.J.

Smash Master
I had to read that a few times in order to actually understand what you meant...

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Me (Marth) vs TO Joe (Fox)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCrVtPifYF4

Other than making my way back onstage, what am I doing wrong?
You had a good beginning you messed up the cg but quickly made up for the missed grab with a nair. Bad upB at 0:37 idk if you were trying to get a read or something but it got you punished with a downsmash be careful with upB only use it when you are certain your gonna hit or its safe to do so. Nice ftilt at 0:47. At 0:58 when you got that grab you should of kept pummeling and once he got out of it you could of done a dsmash this is not 100% but it works for me most of the time but if your opponent shields it I think its a free punish. At 1:08 you should of ftilt, fsmash, dsmash, upsmash, swordance or upb Oos any of this moves would of assured that stock. AT 1:15 bad upB again got you punished hard by shine followed by an fsmash again watch your upB's. At 1:20 that was a risky recovery he could of baired you and put you in a bad spot fortunately you didnt get punished and landed on the platform safely, what you should of done was wait until you were a little bit lower than upB or side b1 to upB you could of possibly gotten a free stage spike. At 1:23 you could of possibly punished his sideb with an upsmash and taken the stock. Nice read at 1:28,1:29 you should of edgeguarded he would of been dead.At 1:45 you could of drop down fair to upb for another possible stage spike or nice situation for a spike or possible edgeguard.1:50 you could of done side b1 than upb that way you could of made it back onto the ledge instead of losing the stock not really sure if it would of work 100% but it would of been better than just upB IMO. When fox is doing side b on the edge planking you, try doing dtilt it works really well. At 2:08 you should of edgeguarde his stock would of been done. Bad upB at 2:38 he could of gotten a free upsmash for some good damage fortunately for you he decided to shine you. Nice shieldbreak at 2:53. Horrible upB at 3:08 you should of side b1 or wait til you were lower that upB got you punished hard by his bair taking your second stock. Nice upB at 3:45. Bad upb at 3:49. Overall you have a nice Marth just work on your recovery recover low watchout for your upB's on stage and you should be good :)

arcane9211

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone! My friend and I likes to use Marth; Marth's his main and my second main. We would like to be critiqued based on our playstyle, tendencies, anything else that we need to work on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz4MSvHTnJU

Sorry for the ditto match, but thanks in advance!
You guys need a lot of work. You appear to be throwing out attacks with little regard for spacing, timing, or reacting to what your opponent was doing. I saw one of you shield until the other starting nairing your shield, at which point you unshielded and got hit =/

Slow down your play and think about what move would be best in each situation and spend a lot of time practicing your spacing.

Edit: You do a lot of unsafe moves, such as fsmashes and on-stage dairs, and you appear to go for a lot of spikes (when there are generally better options). You two also like to throw out a bunch of aerials when you're not even in range of hitting. You two didn't follow up very well from your throws. Instead, try running closer to them after throwing and watching how they react (air dodges, jumping, etc). I also saw some use of the down variation of the dancing blade, which is punishable.

I sound harsh but I can tell you guys are just inexperienced. Practice spacing, move selection, and proper punishment and you'll get way better quickly.

Cygnet

Smash Apprentice
Hi! I'm totally new to the whole...... Smash thing...... so I really fail. And I've...... already posted one video for critique a while back, am I allowed to post another one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gX23od_4Zk

Same people in the video as last time, although I don't think I learned...... anything from the last time I posted in here. :/

Sorry for the whole...... 2x critique thing. Is there something in particular that I should focus on and improve?

Also, how else can I learn and get better besides...... this thread? :/ I'm really clueless about how the whole thing works because I'm totally new, so what else can I do? Sorry if the answer is like..... in bold all over the place or something.... and like..... an easy way to improve is like the Holy Grail of Brawl.... but can anyone offer any advice?

Thank you! :)

PEACE7

Smash Champion
^ Try not to roll as much also watch out on how you use your upB's and work on your spacing maybe ill take a look at it again later and get into more detail.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Stop running into the ****. You got too aggressive in chasing him. Biggest thing you need to fix though are those ridiculous textures. Cape-less Marth is so ugly to look at.

Nike.

Smash Hero
I couldn't stand all the extra textures and hacks on that vid.

For someone who just started, your already grasping the fundementals of Marth.

You use fthrow -> DB alot. It requires perfect timing, otherwise it gets powershielded or shielded and then punished by ftilt. It worked against your opponent alot, though. When you get that fthrow that puts them off towards the ledge, try dtilt. Even if you were too late and they shielded it, you push them closer to the ledge. They can't punish it and it puts them in a terrible spot.

Other than that, your main approach seemed to be from the ground. His ftilt kinda beats this, but you got the reactions that you were looking for (spot dodge).

Good marth for a beginner :)

Nike.

Smash Hero

Cygnet

Smash Apprentice
So as a summary....

★ Roll less.
★ Spacing.
★ Up B..... when they're at higher percentages?
★ Don't chase him too aggressively...... (I'm not really sure how to do/fix this..... what should I do instead?)
★ Fthrow ~> Dtilt (especially to push people towards ledges)
★ Approach using the air.

Is there anything I missed or anything that I should emphasize over others?

And got rid of a bunch of textures, didn't know they were troublesome..... TT~TT;;

Thank you so much! :)

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
i'll critique later tonight.

*EDIT: i'll do it in the morning, tooo ****ing tired LOL

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Nike, every time I watch one of your videos, I get the feeling you're really just a crazy troll.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Nike:

Watching the first vid against Razer.

I could do the whole play by play critique but I don't think those really stick tbh.

Three major problems stuck out to me.

1.) Positioning/Landing. Right off the bat, you sh airdodge right in front of him. You're basically willingly putting yourself at his mercy. Snake has tons of options from that range, especially if you're just landing in front of him with an AD. You found yourself at point plank range very often and his just outclass yours at that distance. All throughout the match, whenever you are sent high up in the air, I find you just drifting back into his range with either an airdodge or a ff fair. You absolutely have to be able to mix up your landings, especially against a player like Razer. Don't be afraid to just drift safely to the ledge. Another good option is to just float away from him right outside his maximum attack range. If he tries to throw out an aerial, move in and fair. Otherwise, just land and work from neutral. Thats something I find very effective in all matchups, you'll see mike do it a lot.

2.) Overcommitment. For one, it seemed like you kept going for the hard read rather than taking more reliable safer option. This can be seen a few times when edgeguarding for example. You would go for the dtilt or dair which would result in a stock if they connected, when you could have covered much more options AND avoided putting yourself in a bad situation by waiting on stage and just reacting to whatever he did. I understand wanting to go for that big read to turn the game around, but basing your gameplay around these kind of moves is never good, and more often than not leads to receiving high damage in short amount of times.

3.) Impatience. It almost felt like you were racing against the clock the entire time. It seemed like you felt that you absolutely had to punish every movement he made. You have to pick your punishing opportunities better. If its not a guaranteed punish, you really need to pick your options wisely. One example is at 0:56 when you rush in for a DB with the mortar falling. This is a very common situation in the matchup, its a better idea to just wait out the mortar and play it out from there. I also see you getting kind of jittery when he is near you and you are both on the ground. You don't always have to be the first one to throw a hitbox out, let things develop. Try just walking away and baiting a whiff that you can punish with DB.

You did well vs razer though, you should be proud :)

I'm definitely gonna keep watching how your Marth progresses, yours is very unique.

GingaNinja

Smash Rookie
Everything Bagels elegantly wrote with a few similar but more specific additions.
Both matches you started out strong, staying toe to toe if not ahead. After a few missed attacks you began losing control over the match. Noticed you kept trying to force moves, attack predictably, recover to the stage carelessly. Like bargels said, your impatience showed especially after your first stock was taken. You began attacking into a snake who joyfully held a grenade either shielding or dodging. You became overwhelmed in Razors maze of explosions, losing track of normally obvious claymores/mines. You seemed to forget basic recoveries to the stage or ledge getting hit by surprise bair'd over and over. Too many empty shorthops getting instantly bair'd.
Too many mind, not enough oneness with the sword lol.
Play more like my cousin Leon, or my brother Mr.R. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mA8HtjQfic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M1AjGSBic0&feature=related

If you don't find what I said true or useful feel free to shove I mean ignore me. I don't even have any videos of my own online.
Leon is the best known marth in the world easily. This is all

clowsui

Smash Legend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CsCrVtn6Oo

putting it here just 'cause

not really looking for a critique LOL, just can't put it in video thread cause i scrub

my marth is hella bad, i can't believe i dash at people + jump so much. gets better games 2 and 3 but still LOL

my execution is really off though, tons of moments where i want to do RAR bair but i can't do it -__-

'Za

Smash Rookie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CsCrVtn6Oo

putting it here just 'cause

not really looking for a critique LOL, just can't put it in video thread cause i scrub

my marth is hella bad, i can't believe i dash at people + jump so much. gets better games 2 and 3 but still LOL

my execution is really off though, tons of moments where i want to do RAR bair but i can't do it -__-
Don't know if I'm really qualified to do this, but I'm bored and have insomnia so what can it hurt? I know you said you're not looking for a critique, but you did post it in a critique thread

-Too much jump attacking that just gets shielded cuz it's predictable like 0:12. If you're gonna do that, you should mix it up sometimes and pretend like you're going for the jump attack so they shield, but then go in for a grab
-Should have Shieldbreaker'd at 0:22
-You can dancing blade stall to outlast invincibility frames 0:49, you do it at 4:27 but that's it
-You used your second jump unnecessarily 1:32, maybe to wait out in case he would grab the ledge? But still I think a dancing blade stall is better in that situation in case you need the jump later for some reason
-2:25, probably an accident

-To much jumping, too much nair, felt like you were just throwing moves out randomly. It also seemed at times like you were trying to hit with a specific move (and it not being a kill move) and forcing them instead of adapting to the situation.
-Weirdly enough, I think you use smashes too infrequently. Peach wouldn't last to almost 200% if you smashed more I think. When you do smash you charge them, which shouldn't be done unless you WILL hit because you get punished for it which seems to happen most every time. Don't underestimate what a tippered uncharged fsmash can do. At the same time though, don't over do it with the smashes
-Maybe go for throws more. Seemed like there were a few opportunities to get a throw off and you didn't take it.
-As you said you dash in a lot which usually gets punished. Sometimes waiting, or even retreating, can yield very rewarding outcomes.

As far as I remember you only countered once and it hit, so good job on that. I'm not quite sure, since I'm not really familiar with the Peach match up, but it seems like this Peach likes to follow her turnips, so maybe if you can see he's trying to follow up a turnip throw with an attack maybe try countering the turnip? I don't know if you'd be in range to hit Peach with the counter, or even if turnips can be countered, but it might be something to try out once and may be useful for when you can tell she's gonna follow her turnip.

I think your play got better the farther into the match you got.

Overall just seems like you either recently picked up Marth or you haven't played him in quite some time.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Well its pretty easy to counter a peach fair on reaction. But uair and dair can be spaced so the counter hit misses. Bair edgeguard is a godsend if u tipper it. Good for killing. Get her in the air and keep her there. Worse airdodge in the game lol.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Illmatic got 13th at WHOBO3, beating ESAM the first round. He made over $200 total in money matches. I think many are considering him the best peach now.

He prides himself in having an aggressive and flashy style, but it's made marth his kryptonite since peach has to play campy with turnips. We MM'd twice (salty rematch lol).

WHOBO3 MM: Illmatic (Peach) vs Nike (Marth) 1.1
WHOBO3 MM: Illmatic (Peach) vs Nike (Marth) 1.2
WHOBO3 MM: Illmatic (Peach) vs Nike (Marth) 1.3
WHOBO3 MM: Illmatic (Peach) vs Nike (Marth) 2.1
WHOBO3 MM: Illmatic (Peach) vs Nike (Marth) 2.2

arcane9211

Smash Apprentice
I watched the falco match. First, you have to work on move selection. You just kept throwing out neutral-b's, forward smashes, down smashes, and on stage down airs regardless of whether or not it was safe or in range. Use those moves for safe punishes; don't use them for normal damage racking or hoping your opponent runs into them. All of those moves are going to get you punished if they miss, and they're all 1 and done moves- you can't really follow them up or move while doing them. Utilize your forward air, neutral air, upair for juggles, and both aerials and tilts for general spacing.

You want to keep falco in range of you. That also means falco wants to keep his distance via lasers and side b. To approach falco, use walking powershields until you're in range of your aerials or grab range, and watch how the falco reacts under pressure. Try to pick up on tendacies for when they side b and punish them for it.

edit: Learn how to pressure somebody. When they get in range of your sword, poke them with down tilt, retreating fairs, rising retreating neutrals, etc. Add in some pivot grabs. Don't spam counter.

Watch this, it'll help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBvImqui9yM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom