• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up discussion #22: Zero Suit Samus

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
A new day - a new match-up, this time Zero Suit Samus

She's mean. She has a good aerial game so you better stay on the ground, where Wolf is better. Zamus has some nasty whip attacks, which are hard to perdict if you fight her the first time...

The best thing to do is either stay outside of her whip range or very close - you have the advantage either way. Just don't stay somewhere in between. Outcamp her, when she's far away and pressure her with spaced aerials and tilt, when you're very close. Remember always to DI away your aerials, since her dsmash comboes you - something you want to avoid at any prize. This shouldn't be too hard, just don't do anything silly, when you're close.

Things to watch out for are her speed and her combo ability - she can rack up damage very fast. On the other side she's rather light so finish her asap - the sooner you have a stock lead the better...

Discuss

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
Ok wolf vs zamus my 2 mains.

Wolf players have to really look out for D-smashes from ZSS because theres this really cheap D-smash chain that can get you to like a ton of percent(if your really good at DI I think you can get out of it early depending on various things) so watch out for that.

Zamus has the better recovery imo. She has 3 jumps and if you time the up-b right you get a bunch of vertical distance. Good ZSS players wont end up gimped very easily.

Zamus has a good aerial game so thats a bonus for her but wolf generally has a better ground game. Fear not if she begins to air combo you the reflector can really help with this.

Wolf can easily force Zamus to approach with the pistol but she can space pretty good against wolf(by this I mean being out of range of wolfs attacks but in range to whack him with side-b but hes too close to use the blaster) but wolf can also space well against her too using B-airs and things.

Now wolf is heavier than zamus and has stronger moves so he excels in the killing area.

Now overall I feel that wolf has the advantage. He has a very good ranged attack and a lot of lagless attacks like B-air and 0lagged F-air. Zamus dies a lot easier than wolf which is a big factor in this matchup.

Well in conclusion I feel its 60/40 Wolf's favor as he has a lot of good stuff but if your not careful Zamus can easily get in big combos.

Edit: Ok I changed my mind I think its even 50/50.

Bouse

Smash Ace
Zero Suit Samus can Dsmash chain Wolf to upwards of 90%. Meaning... one Dsmash and it could be light's out for a Wolf.

50:50 or
45:55 Zero Suit adv.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Thatd smash is hard to hit with JFYI. Wolf needs to mess his spacin seriously to even add it as a factor...

teekay

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, dsmash chain isn't nearly as bad as stuff like Falco's chaingrab or Shiek's ftilt lock. It comes out much slower. It boosts Zamus's game against him to be sure but not by a whole lot.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Yeah, Zamus can duck under the laser, something otherwise only Snake and Sheik can do. The blaster is mainly to use when you're outside of her whip range

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Maybe I've just had bad luck, but I've never been able to duck under Wolf's laser if he's standing.

I'm with Sessho. Zamus has almost no approach options against Wolf, and not many reliable combo options. Wolf will have about as much trouble comboing, but he'll definitely have less trouble approaching and KOing. 60-40 seems reasonable.

At least that's my first impression having never played a wolf main, so take it at the value you will.

knightzy

Smash Journeyman
You people Over-rate wolfs laser too much,there I said it,but honestly it could only be used to keep zero suit samus away,but she can crouch under it or just move out of it's range.

*Puts Up Flame Sheild*

Zsamus has a great spacing game and has parts at the start of the match,keep this in mind, and most of her attacks are quite quick.
She is faster than wolf as well,has a much better recovery and has 3 spikes,that I find wolf is the easiest of the space animals to gimp so keep that in mind aswell.

Overall I would say maybe: 60-40,or 55-45.

-Knightzy.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Zamus is certainly not faster than Wolf

...just cause she runs faster doesn't mean she fights faster as well

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Zamus has quite a few combos going for her, but besides that, if you avoid dsmash, things shouldn't be too bad. I think, according to something I read on the ZSS boards a while ago, that wolf is the hardest of the spacies to get in the dsmash chain, so it can definitely be worked around. She has some REALLY fast attacks though (utilt) so watch out for those, and maybe shine if you think one is coming up. IMO her best attacks (save a few) don't involve disjointed hitboxes, and those that do are usually slow enough that you can dodge them with something besides shine.

Thecloudmon

Smash Cadet
Listen grab Wolf f- throw D-smash combo to 90% also Wolf is Easily pivit Grab So you can Chain grab him till 30- 45 % then D-smash combo i works

xX'Mitsurugi'Xx

Smash Ace
Hmmm, this is an even match up IMO, I beat chillindude's ZSS in a recent tourney, Zamus has that infinite (which cannot be DI'd out of if done properly) but, in overall combat and if the wolf spaces correctly, it shouldn't be to hard to make the combo %'s up. Zamus finishing moves are just to easy to punish, both can evenly gimp each other, so yeah, I'm gonna go with 50:50.

Snakeee

Smash Master
It would be Wolf's favor, but the d-smash chain I'd say pushes it to even. It's hard/risky to set up though. I honestly don't enjoy the match up though, and I'd rather stick to using Sheik against Wolf lol

Kikuichimonji

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one who thinks that some tourney-level videos for evidence would move the conversation up three levels of intelligence?

Snakeee

Smash Master
I don't think there ARE any ZSS vs. Wolf videos with an anywhere near decent ZSS player (correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt there's anything that will help view the match up)

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I don't think there are any such vids on a high level. I don't know about any WC or MW Zamus, that means Lucien, GERM and Omniswell perhaps haven't played one. Maybe Candy?

paulzers93

Smash Rookie
Hmm.. I kno this is completely biased but ZSS has the clear advantage over wolves. I do agree with those who say ZSS's aerial game is better than wolves and that wolves ground game is better than ZSS in general, but in that view is where ZSS truly does shine. The grab can be easily used to chain grab Wolf and also Wolf is an excellent victim for the D-Smash Chain as well as the D-Smash to Up B Chain as well. Overall, the best way to deal with wolf is...

FIRST: D-SMASH CHAIN TO 50-70%.
SECOND: D-SMASH x 2 to UP B UP TO A COMFORTABLE KILLING LEVEL
THIRD: THE KILL.

If well-executed this SHOULD work. :)

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I don't think there ARE any ZSS vs. Wolf videos with an anywhere near decent ZSS player (correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt there's anything that will help view the match up)
We should find a way to record next time we play. I lost 3-0 in friendlies, but they were still close games. I need to improve how I deal with the armor.

BlueSaber

Smash Rookie
Samus has good jumping techniques and can deal lightning fast blows with aer-D-A combo's

Top Bottom