• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up discussion #24: Luigi

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Ok, since we're approaching the low tier characters and thus gain less input, I've decided to do more match-up's in less time to finish our match-up's and re-discuss some others...

this time we're doing Luigi...

Luigis aerial game is ridicoulusly good, especially his nair, which has to be one of the most absurd moves in the game. You can outrange him but it's generally a better idea to stay on the ground. He has problems to approach Wolf, since blaster stops the tornado - his best approach. Luigis options are somewhat limited here, especially if you kep him at a safe distance. His KO power is amazing btw so be careful at high % and don't let his UpB hit you.
I don't know for sure but Luigi seems to have incredible problems to punish since he gets knocked away so easily, even if he shields. Make good use of this!

I give it a 60:40. Luigi doesn't have the tools to deal with Wolfs better range, his better fighteing speed and his superior ground game

Discuss

Daterian

Smash Cadet
Wolf is a frustrating match-up for us Luigi mains :(. As above, his blaster out-prioritises everything we have, so our only approach options are shielding/dodging/rolling or a short hopping aerial approach, both of which are somewhat predictable.

Also as above, luigi's ability shines in aerial comboing. If you arent paying attention he can easily rack up 50% damage while you are at low %. Once you hit 60% a KO punch is normally a killing move (a KO punch or shoryuken is when a Luigi uses his up-B while inside your character. Same mechanic to Jiggly's rest for those who don't know). All the spacies with their shines are a major nuisance, being able to break Luigi's combo game is very very frustrating.

Due to Luigi's traction he slides backwards normally when hit by an attack, so shield-grabbing can be difficult, and he is very susceptible to being shield-grabbed himself. Unless you are facing a Luigi with excellent spacing almost all of his attacks are short ranged to the point where as soon as they connect with your shield you can shield grab without fear. The only exception to this is the tornado, unless you have good timing it is likely you will get hit if you try to shield-grab through it.

Luigi has excellent recovery, as long as he has his second jump he can recover from almost anywhere. The tornado follows the momentum of the luigi, so if i jump and then use the tornado i will rise for about 2/3rd the height of the level. Some luigis can do this without needing to jump, but it requires machine gun like tapping of the b button. Given that wolfs dont do so well over the edge of the stage im not sure if this is a big deal or not ;).

Personally if i was facing a wolf (be aware i am not the most amazing Luigi player around, but id like to think im competent) i would be trying to get into range of wolf, probably short hopping more than rolling/dodging. Somehow i would attempt to get wolf to 60% or so (probably attempting to combo as much as possible despite wolfs ability to break it) and would then play very defensively, waiting for an opportunity to KO with either a KO punch or up-tilted forward smash. Whatever happened it would not be an easy match-up, and would depend on the openings left by Wolf.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Oh, I love fighting Wolf!

Luigi is deadly if he gets within Jab range; from this distance he has so many options for racking up damage or making a KO move. So spacing is vital for Wolf, while timing is vital for Luigi. Luigi mainers have gotten pretty good with Perfect Shielding and Spot-Dodging to compensate for his traction, but Luigi is still weak against flurry attacks.

Luigi best approaches with Short Hops. He can fit any two Aerials in a single SH, up to 3 (fAir, fAir, nAir), but he's still susceptible to Shield Grabbers. This is another problem that Luigi has against ALL opponents, so good Luigi mainers have learned to mix up spacing, SH FF Buffering, and Cyclone out of the first Aerial to compensate. But once Luigi has you in the air or off stage, it's a whole different world.

Wolf has little to counter Luigi's bAir WoP or bAirs in general.

Luigi takes the Air
Wolf takes the Ground
Wolf takes the Range
Luigi takes the KO options
Luigi takes the Recoveries
Wolf takes the Spamability
Wolf takes the Defensive

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I was leaning on 60:40 or slightly 55:45 with in wolf's favor.. But I haven't seen the full basics or full potential (meaning havent fought a good wolf player yet) of a wolf player yet =/. Anyways, basics :

Luigis :

Floaty, overall better air game, craptard ground game compared to wolf's, combos, slightly safer recovery.

Wolfs:

Superior ground game, better defensive options, ***** hard with range.

Alright. when I'm fighting wolf's, the first thing is approach. It outprioritizes EVERYTHING. It cuts through fireball approachs, stops tornado approachs, and if you SH blaster, you can actually stop our SH approachs. If wolf takes the offfensive, his options are going with SH blasters, a RAR Bair approach, and Nair approach I forget the rest (Feel free to add).

IIRC, Luigis Bair > Wolf's Bair (?) { cause i remember you guys discussing marios bair gets ***** by wolfs bair}

At most, luigi's problems is mostly wolf's ground game and specifcally, ftilt, fsmash, blaster. At times, wolf's shine can break some combos out of luigi's. The problem is that if you are going to follow up a combo after you've landed a shine, luigi's traction screws himself over and slides too far.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Wolfs bair is certainly not short ranged dude -_-
but maybe Lu's goes further...

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
lol, kay...

either way, Wolf is better of staying on the ground in this match

§witch

Smash Lord
Lmao, luigi has bad range on his KO moves, but a good luigi knows how to land them. Luigi will combo the hell out of wolf, but wolf will have a better time killing.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Wolf DOES have combos. They're just not very practical >.>

I hate fighting luigis, stay out of the air, shine when you're in trouble, and stay away from anything that leads to his kill moves (as in don't get jabbed). Take advantage of his weird physics, it's harder for him to shieldgrab your attacks. I think wolf might outrange luigi in the air, but either way it's likely not by much and not worth the risk.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
It's not like Wolf needs the blaster to camp or to space but just to force / destroy approaches

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
I say the best Wolf here should battle the best Luigi on the Luigi boards... to get a sense of pro vs. pro metagame matchups.

But yeah, I can say from experience that Luigi's bAir works great against Wolf.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I have to say Wolf has the advantage on this one. I played Vista's wolf once upon a time, and I tell you, if they know what they're doing you really are going to have issues with this matchup. Luigi's projectile is inferior to Wolf's, and Wolf has his shine. A good player won't let you get them in the air as easily, and Wolf is a tad heavy. Wolf's smashes have much better range than Luigi's, and with his projectile and all this, doesn't need to approach one bit. A powershield hungry wolf is going to tear you apart... It isn't impossible by any stretch, as Luigi can get some good combos off on Wolf, but I would have to say 60:40 Wolf's favor.

Top Bottom