• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur's Instant Tether *Video Included*

Itburns

Smash Journeyman
So I've been working on a new technique with Ivysaur for the last couple of weeks perfecting it and what not. I have searched the boards and have not heard it mention or atleast to the extent I am doing it too:

Ivysaurs Instant Tether:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVSmzY_VRrw

How to:
As explained in the video, you merely run off the stage and up+b, this causes Ivysaur to automatically tether the edge.
From here you have multiple options including:
- Regrab the edge (B~up+b)
- Nair, it puts you in a great position to nair spike
- Bair, Keeps them spaced then you can regrab the edge
- Dair, easy spike when laced right
- Fair/Nair/Bair/Uair back onto the stage.

This technique really puts pressure on the opponents recovery back to the stage. If you time your Regrabs the invicibility frames will protect yu from any ones recovery and it will force the opponent to change his stratergy.

*One imprtant thing to remember thugh is that you can only regrab the edge 3 times before you need to set back on the platform to reset it.*

Another thing I found out is that you can cancel the up+b by holding down or back.. this may seem obvious but this is beneficial for 2 reasons.
- When you instant tether off the stage you can cancel the up+b and follow up with a jump into bair. when doing this the hieght gained from the instant tether gets cancelled and can be followed up.
check the corneria part of the video at 1:18, you'll notice after I cancel the tether i am way high into the air.
- If there is a platform you can tether cancel onto the below platform by pushing back. This leaves you with no lag and boosts you either above or below dependng on where you hit the ground. you can follow this up with bulletseed/ftilts anything you want really.

Corneria is a perfect stage to showcase all these different variations.. you can tether cancel and instant tether all you want and the fin can give you an awesome ledge to tether on.
Advanced Instant Tethering on Corneria

Below fin:
- Autocanceled bair into an up+b will tether to the fin
- by shorthopping up+b at the thursters you can Instant Tether Platform Cancel
- when hanging form the thrusters a full jump onstage can tether onto the fin.

Instant tether follow ups:
falling nair
faling bulletseed
falling bair
falling etc...
Re-thether

Also props to zeta for the corneria stage pick... whoever said ivysaur wasnt technical needs to rewatch that video.

feedback?

oh as a bonus here are some old vids of me and IRL playing in random levels:
Delfino Plaza:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt2M99XK2gA
Luigis Mansion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGP2MhzZ9h8
Castle Seige:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQHOnXX-ElM
Not so random Battlefield:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND-6xvn0Jk0
not so random Smashville:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND-6xvn0Jk0

Onxy

Smash Lord
I've actually known this for months, and I named it the Vinewhip Catapault if you remember. IDK who discovered it first, but lol. It's useful as a gimp, but don't bother using this online - you'll die many times.

Miles.

Smash Champion
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Your super secret sexy tech.
Well I guess it was time to let the world know.
This is ****, try it before you knock it anyone, and its really fun.
Instant Tether Cancel is my favorite thing right now.

Miles.

Smash Champion
I've actually known this for months, and I named it the Vinewhip Catapault if you remember. IDK who discovered it first, but lol. It's useful as a gimp, but don't bother using this online - you'll die many times.
Online is trash Pants Ian doesnt play online.

And

You have to see how he applies it in match, this is the ****.

Edit*
Just finished the vids, sexy song Ian.
Now I just have to show you B Canceling with Ivy, just figured it out on accident.
Mwhaha.

Itburns

Smash Journeyman
always good to hear your feedback onyx

I think I read something about a catapault awhile back... but like i said I havent seen anything more indepth than this.

Instant tether sounds better IMO.

and your right, this is meant to be used in REAL LIFE not online.

Onxy

Smash Lord
I know, it works wonders. I'm just saying for online, and anyone who decides to read it xD

Instant tether sounds better - I'm not good with making names.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Now all we need is something for Charizard...
rock smash is all charizard needs fool

RAWK SMASHHHHHHH

"whoa, whoa, settle down charizard!!"

all thanks to

thank you rock smash guy

i will work on using instant tethering in my game. thanks pants, anything to help ivysaur helps me out a lot. :laugh:

Itburns

Smash Journeyman
hey no problem man, im just glad to show new ivysaur techs.. PT is slowly becoming better and better.

it took me 2 weeks to perfect the timing of the cancels and invincibilty frames from the ledge... i suggest practicing re-tethering until you can do it over and over without accidently doing an onstage attack.

frm there its just placing nairs and bairs well

Onxy

Smash Lord
If you do the Instant Tether, while you're in the air you can press down to release yourself. With that you can lower yourself a little and regrab it with the tether. You probably know this though.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
(face palm)

OK, Squirtle has the shell shift, Ivy has the vine catapult, so yes, Char does need somethin.
Squirtle's shell shift is merely a turn around.
Ivysaur's is going off and pressing up b.
I'll try it now.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Instant Tether sounds better.

Don't worry Charizard!!! I'll find something!!!

Itburns

Smash Journeyman
If you do the Instant Tether, while you're in the air you can press down to release yourself. With that you can lower yourself a little and regrab it with the tether. You probably know this though.
ill do you one better,

if you press down at his highest point you can actually jump again.. the amount of height you get off of this is insane... almost hits the celling with corneria
watch the video agian around 1:18.

I instant tether cancel into a double jump bair.

its alot faster than pivot double jumping by far.

Itburns

Smash Journeyman
Advanced Instant Tethering on Corneria

Below fin:
- Autocanceled bair into an up+b will tether to the fin
- by shorthopping up+b at the thursters you can Instant Tether Platform Cancel
- when hanging form the thrusters a full jump onstage can tether onto the fin.

Instant tether follow ups:
falling nair
faling bulletseed
falling bair
falling etc...
Re-thether

*added to 1st post*

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Behold, yet another useful PT advanced thingy that I can't get to work right. I got the how to do it, I just can't link it into something else! HELP! I CAN'T USE A SHELL SHIFT OR VINE CATAPULT PROPERLY!

Itburns

Smash Journeyman
uhh i dont know why youd really call it vine catapult.. hes not being launched... hes merely instantly tethering onto the stage.

thus instant tether.

my tips... you need to wait till the ledge frames wear off before you can do another move... once you have that timing down... set ups come natural

Miles.

Smash Champion
rock smash is all charizard needs fool

RAWK SMASHHHHHHH

"whoa, whoa, settle down charizard!!"

all thanks to

thank you rock smash guy

i will work on using instant tethering in my game. thanks pants, anything to help ivysaur helps me out a lot. :laugh:
I would put this in my sig if it would fit.

This post is madness pure spartan ****.

(face palm)

OK, Squirtle has the shell shift, Ivy has the vine catapult, so yes, Char does need somethin.
Squirtle's shell shift is merely a turn around.
Ivysaur's is going off and pressing up b.
I'll try it now.
Instant Tether sounds better.

Don't worry Charizard!!! I'll find something!!!
Zard does have AT's.

=)

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
both names are kind of dumb, catapult for obvious reasons and instant tether because tethering is always instant anyway.

name doesn't really matter. :s

Charizard92

Smash Champion
uhh i dont know why youd really call it vine catapult.. hes not being launched... hes merely instantly tethering onto the stage.

thus instant tether.

my tips... you need to wait till the ledge frames wear off before you can do another move... once you have that timing down... set ups come natural
The catapult thingy just sounds better.

Unfortunately, the main problem for me is that I can never get the Opponent into position. They are either too high or too far a way or even going to recover anyway because they are out of the way. How do I get the opponent into position?

Itburns

Smash Journeyman
Argueing about the name is pretty stupid... theres no need to add theatrics to it... instant tether is short and explains it.

set ups for it? backthrow is a good one especially at lower percentages
Its really dependant on where the opponent is coming from, its really convenient for opponents that like to sweet spot the ledge. If your finding the invincibility frames on the edge are wearing off just re-tether. that will kill time and reset your invincibility frames.

Miles.

Smash Champion
The catapult thingy just sounds better.

Unfortunately, the main problem for me is that I can never get the Opponent into position. They are either too high or too far a way or even going to recover anyway because they are out of the way. How do I get the opponent into position?
Its more of when the situation arises.
Its more useful against some characters more than others.

Toby.

Smash Master
The board has known about this since onxy posted about it all those years ago (/exaggeration). BUT no one has ever gone into such detail, nor have they used such pleasant formatting. So thanks, its an extremely useful manouvre which everyone will benefit from reading about.

Miles.

Smash Champion
I remember the old thread and I dont really recall anything practical being talked about, like I dont remember going "Oh I have to try that."

This is useful.
It might be because I play Itburns in real life and I see how win this is first hand.

No one does this in vids.
So its not that know.

Toby.

Smash Master
I remember the old thread and I dont really recall anything practical being talked about, like I dont remember going "Oh I have to try that."

This is useful.
It might be because I play Itburns in real life and I see how win this is first hand.

No one does this in vids.
So its not that know.
To be fair, since onxy mentioned it pretty much the only person posting up regular vids has been you. I'm sure plenty of people started implementing it into their game. I certainly did. As I said, though, ItBurns has gone into waaaay more detail than anyone previously has. I hadn't even considered the applications on corneria like he has.

It's definitely very useful.

Once again, good work.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
This is pretty interesting.

And doesn't zard have an infinite jump :D (i know...it's not amazing as bowsers).
PT is a pretty good character, someone I use as a secondary.

-:bowser:Bowser King

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
I was about to create a thread going into the possibilities of Ivy's gimp game, but this was definitely a big chunk of it. Also, let us not forget about Razor Leaf, which allows us to turn around if we ever needed to. Razor leaf to Fair possible?

Onxy

Smash Lord
What about using Razor Leaf to turn around, and use Bair xD

Itburns

Smash Journeyman
thanks for all the good feedback guys.

after implenting to this into actualy gameplay it makes ivysaurs ledge game very scary alot of it makes your opponent have to change the way they get back on the edge. however it does have its risk vs rewards as with any tech.

Risk:
- if you time it wrong they can grab the edge before you and leave you dead
- being out off the stage you are susceptable to all stage gimps
- if you dont get back on stage after the 3rd re-thether you will loose the ability to tether until your feet hit the stage

Reward
- Awesome gimp set ups
- instant edgehogging
- makes your opponent scared of trying to get back on stage from below.

in regards to razor leaf.. i really didnt think of using it but i culd its benefit after you *ITC(instant tether cancel) off the stage for that hieght boost

oh and on a final note... instant tether ***** anyone who has a tether... ESPECIALLY another Ivy, olimar or ZSS.

*ITC - run off, up+b thena t the highest point of the tether push down to cancel then double jump for more hieght

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Wow this is cool, im really more interested on the jump extra height you get for the ITC, that makes ivy's recovery better, and i find this tecniche usefull not only for gimping, also for fighting the best against characters with bad anti-edge game( falco's first on my mind right now)
Good find! :D

zeta

Smash Journeyman
i've been doing this stuff for a while. But good stuff with the video. I called the tether cancel on corneria the tarzan swing. lol. Anyways great work keep it up!!

mickeyk90

Smash Apprentice
idk if this was mentioned but

if you add jump really quickly
ivysaur's tether would be longer thus making him/her/it stand taller
but its harder to pull off

Fearmy

Smash Ace
Char'z glide, (yeah i put a 'z what ya gonna do?)

I forgot on what jump, but i think after the first aerial jump ( or second jump ) you hold down, and charizard will start lower! so you can glide cancel more often

not much but hey we can work with it.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
Char'z glide, (yeah i put a 'z what ya gonna do?)

I forgot on what jump, but i think after the first aerial jump ( or second jump ) you hold down, and charizard will start lower! so you can glide cancel more often

not much but hey we can work with it.
It's after either one. If you fast-fall while holding Y/X, Charizard will in fact begin gliding at a lower height.

"Fast-fall Glide", anyone?

Top Bottom