• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nair is the best move in Luigi's moveset

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Nair is just hella godly. I'm going to give out the info on this particular move and say why it's should be one of nominated top moves in luigi's movset. (At least that's what I think.) This move is like Luigi's staple of his move set and his best tool ever.

Properties & Data

So nair's is weird like karate jet li like feet attack and stays out for a long time. It stays out for 45 frames, 'strong' hitbox comes out 3-6 frames and 'weak' hitbox 7-31 frames. It's landlag is 14 frames. It's hit lag is 10 frames (strong hitbox) and (weak hitbox) is 7 frames. It's shield stun is 4 frames (strong hitbox) 2 frames (weak hitbox)

What do I mean by " strong " and " weak "? Well due to brawl's weird mechanics, Luigi's Nair on frames 3-6 has this hitbox that does signficiant knockback and is able to kill many of the cast, around 110%s+. After the 6th frame, the 7th-31st frames is are just a small knockback from the hitbox enabling luigi to follow up with combos.

So you as you see, the strong hitbox allows luigi for the kills and the weak hitbox allows followups for combo-ing. It's hitbox almost acts like GaW's Fair.

Priority

Nair's priority is next to godly/near broken. Nair allows you to break combos (possiblity of breaking Mk's tornado), you can use it to escape CGs like Falcos, it can cut through some projectiles like wind (Din's fire), or a rapid A combo (like fox's). Majority of the time you'll trade off hits when you use Nair which is why it's a combo breaker.

Out of shield Nair

If you look back remembering Nair's strong hitbox on 3rd-6th frames, if your holding up your shield, use a Nair. A OoS Nair is a nice tactic, to send them in the air, and even if they shield it, the strong hitbox will push them back enough for luigi not to get punished. If they don't shield it, at higher %s, they'll most likely die to it.

Combo starter/killer.

Stated above before, you know Nair's properties on priority which is why it is a combo killer (literally trades off hits and stops the person doing combos). But on 7th-31st frames of Nair, the weak hitbox, at lower %s it allows you to start combos. A classic Dair > Nair combo puts them in a around 20%+ and in the air. Since Luigi can fit 2 aerials in one SH, you literally put Nair as the 2nd aerial and set them in the air for domination.

Approaching

Nair is literally the approach of luigi's set. Dair > Nair is his classic general approach. Fair>Nair works at lower %s as well as upair>Nair. Fireball> Nair is nice way to controll your approach to ensure you'll land it. However this is kinda predictable/telegraphed.

Weaknesses

This is what I wanted to get into for a while now. Nair has a few drawbacks to itself.

1. Short Ranged - It doesn't have any great range on it. Anyone with disjointed hitboxs or high grab ranges espicallly like D3 can easily shield grab it which leads to the next one.

2. Shield grabbed often - This happens to many luigi players who complain about it. Said above, its short ranged overall. Solution? Don't be predictable and try hitting Nair BEHIND them so that they won't be able to shield grab you.

3. Predictable - This is what I hate most. Once the player realizes you'll go for a Nair, they'll just put the shield up and grab you. FF's Nairing and SH Nairs are the common ones that are predicted and shield grabbed. It's easily telegraphed so watch out.

Well I'm done here. You might be able to see why Nair is one of Luigi's best tools and "IMO" one of the top moves in his moveset. If anything, I advise any luigi player to read this so they can add Nair to their moveset. If theres any mistakes/feel free to add ideas, correct me and i'll give credit accordily.

Now discuss.

AND NO THIS IS NOT A DISCUSSION OF WHY IT ISN'T A TOP MOVE IN THE GAME OR WHAT NOT. PEOPLE FAIL TO SEE THE POINT IN THE DISCUSSION. NEXT TIME I'M CAREFULLY USING MY WORDS IN A DIFFERENTLY MANNER **** lol.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I didn't know, that Luigi could do anything Oos. I always thought he gets knocked away too easily for that...

-Mars-

Smash Hero
It's not the best move in the game(turtle, MK dsmash, shuttle loop), but it's probably in the top 5. This move can change the way a character usually plays, because in most cases you can't combo Luigi strictly because of his nair.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Everytime I play against someone in person and they're high in damage while I'm low, I tell them that I'm going to KO them with nAir. I start nAiring all the time, and they freak out. They don't want to hit me because they know I'll nAir out of it, usually KOing them in the process.

It's a beautiful mindgame. To be at 150+ and see Luigi nAiring toward you twice in one Short Hop.

Sexy.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I used this to kill waaay too much. I agree with everything hippie said, as this move is Luigi's best move, and definitely in the top 5 EVAR. Uppercut isn't far behind :D

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
You forgot that Nair autocancels into his jab combo or dsmash, and a lot of characters aren't fast enough to grab him from those.

I would probably put Luigi's Nair in the top 3 aerials, right behind GaW's key and turtle. It's pretty much good at everything.

I remember asking Lking "What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?"

And he's like, "What, you mean like two Luigi Nairs?"

CR4SH

Smash Lord
snakes ftilt

/thread
Do you EVER say anything intelligent?

Anyway, yes, nair=luigi =D. My favorite thing about nair? Revenge kills. I basically use nair to kill right after just about every time I die. I know it's coming, they know it's coming, but they can't stop it. It's beautiful.

My new favorite use for nair is as a followup for unexpected dair spikes. Since it's difficult to really capitalize on them, ff'd nair at least gives you the chance to follow up the nair. Which is often brutal.

When in doubt, nair. Not a bad luigi mantra.

As for the best move? 1)mach tornado 2) mach tornado 3)turtle.

/brinboy

Denzi

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure there's a thread all about how Dancing Blade is the best move in the game.
Now who to believe...

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
nair is the best freakin revenge killer ever. PERIOD

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Probably my favorite thing to do ever. In a tournament situation, when I just got stocked, I'll turn to the other guy and say.
"hey guess what?"
"what?"
"I'm about to kill you with a nair."
"Nu-uh"

More often than not they'll manage to avoid the first two. But its like taxes, and death. Death that is.

Folt

Smash Ace
I almost always nair the opponent after I die, and I have a tendency to overspam it, yet it's just so good you have to be insane (and psychotic... and you must lack the desire to win) to not use it. No number can describe the damage I've done with it, nor can no word describe how many times I've started a combo or a psuedo combo racking up (or evening) damage
taken, before I smash them out into the oblivion. It is an excellent revenge killer, and I've
used it to turn a battle around to my favour more than once. It can combo, it can kill, it can
break up your opponent's combos, it's a god.

MasterToshima

Smash Journeyman
Well, i've been playing Luigi since i got brawl and 2 bad I just discovered in last 2 motnhs how wonderful Nair is. Nair FTW!

I just love Nair KOs right out of edge!

TheMann

Smash Ace
Yea lately i've been using nair as a go to KO move instead of smashes or something just to surprise people.

I just jump up. Wait for the air dodge and BOOM nair off the top of the stage. Most people I play think that nair shouldn't KO and get frustrated lol.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Just don't force it to work though, if it doesn't seem the best option in a given situation, don't use it. Use your instinct, but remember the higher the %, the more you should be trying to put yourself in a position to land it.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I think thats the beautiful thing about nair though. In this game, its the only kill move I know of that you CAN force. And it's STILL effective.

I've been maining luigi since I was like 10 (IIRC when smash64 came out). And nair just keeps getting better, with the excetption of melee, where it was outshined by fair. Nair was still godly, but melee fair was just, well, bananas.

cutter

Smash Champion
Luigi has a good Nair, but unfortunately it's not a disjointed hitbox. It does not have "godly" priority because he extends his hurtbox when using the attack.

G&W has a much better Nair.

TheMann

Smash Ace
Also nothing feels better then when your being combo'd and you just mash A for a nair to come out and your opponent dies. It comes out so fast they don't know what it was. That always makes me laugh. Even in tournament play lol.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Also nothing feels better then when your being combo'd and you just mash A for a nair to come out and your opponent dies. It comes out so fast they don't know what it was. That always makes me laugh. Even in tournament play lol.
QFAwesome.

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
QFT.

Few things in brawl can compare to the satisfaction of breaking somebodies mid-air combo.

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
whtever you say to mk he will still own luigi :( sadly enough , swas sig is just hilarious i love it he resumes it all but nair ftw!

Agora

Smash Journeyman
Hm, been reading up on these boards recently and never saw this little tidbit mentioned yet:
I was experimenting earlier and found out the Nair can be used as a grounded footstool combo. Just footstool and immediately Nair, it looks amazing (like, kick to the face amazing) and I'm sure it could lead into some good setups at certain percentages.

Actually, remember what Gimpyfish (I believe) once found out months ago, where he used an Nair-to-uppercut? This could make the attempt at this much more potent.

(hope I bumped the right thread: it was in the ToS after all :p )

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Hm, been reading up on these boards recently and never saw this little tidbit mentioned yet:
I was experimenting earlier and found out the Nair can be used as a grounded footstool combo. Just footstool and immediately Nair, it looks amazing (like, kick to the face amazing) and I'm sure it could lead into some good setups at certain percentages.

Actually, remember what Gimpyfish (I believe) once found out months ago, where he used an Nair-to-uppercut? This could make the attempt at this much more potent.

(hope I bumped the right thread: it was in the ToS after all :p )
No it's alright to bump threads like these. I think SP tested this before. But luigi's footstool's jumps so high that they'll be able to escape by the time luigi's nair falls down :/

But I dont remember the footstooling part so yeah testing should help.

lol, i should the title to " Nair = Core of Luigi's Game"

Luigi player

Smash Master
Ah, yeah, the nair... it's probably my most used move with Luigi.

I never use dair, I always nair. This move is too good. I love it.

Top Bottom