• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chibo's Brawl Wavedashing Guide: Applications, Techniques, and Tutorial Updated 10-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
To start things off, I won't explain how to get this running on your system. Find a guide to get the homebrew channel running, install Ocarina, and use the code found on this thread.

------------------------------

This is referring to this video most of the time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjrmVCB1ncY

It's probably best that you watch the video along with this post, either read it before, after, or whenever. First thing about the video is, this is essentially my first time wavedashing in Brawl. I tried it with like 3 characters, then went to record. So most of the characters was my first time trying with them so I messed up a lot.

For those wondering, yes I have played Melee competitively for a while, and I still do.

The Wavedash Code:

You can find the final version of the wavedash code here.
It has been updated extensively so it won't crash when you airdodge with ROB, and more.

How To Wavedash:

It's done the same was as in Melee essentially, but imo it's much harder. The timing for a smooth wavedasher is a lot quicker than Melee, or else you'll end up triangle dashing which is sloppy and not that useful. Jump and immediately air dodge into the ground at an angle. You can use L R or Z to air dodge and wavedash, though for all characters with a Zair attack, you must use L or R.

Another aspect of Brawl wavedashing that makes it quite tough do over Melee's is that L and R dont function in Brawl until you press them all the way down in comparison to Melee. That's why it's tough to control the timing perfectly at times, and most of the time you'll see me shield between wavedashes a lot. I tend to use Z to wavedash as it's a direct button, without all the unused analog space of L or R. It also makes it very easy to grab out of a WD.

Universal Character WD Techniques:

Ledge Wavedashing: Exact same as it was in Melee, although even easier to pull off this time around. Ledgehop from the ledge and wavedash onto the stage. Now instead of being stuck on the ledge with multiple options that are all punishable (besides camping essentially), you can Ledge WD up to shield, attack, or grab. I do this a lot in the Marth portion of my video. The timing for ledge wavedashing varies between characters based on height and double jump speed.

Grab the ledge from WDing: In Melee, the quickest way to ledgehog was to WD backwards onto the ledge. In Brawl however, it works a little different. Normally you stop when you wavedash to the ledge, but you can easily hug the ledge right after that and it's quite seamless when you get the hang of it.

Picking up items via WDing: I use this heavily in the Diddy section of my video, and it speeds him up A LOT. A lot of people use dash attacks to pick up items. No need to anymore as you pick up an item as you wavedash across it.

Advantages of Brawl Wavedashing:

Speed: The game feels a lot faster now. You're constantly doing more inputs between attacks to keep your spacing good, and to move fluently.

Tech Skill: As I mentioned, I think WDing in Brawl is tougher than it is in Melee. It required tech skill in Melee, and even more in Brawl to make sure you get the perfect wavedashes without turning around or shielding with max length.

Campiness is Greatly Decreased: Many people hate the camp in Brawl, this solves a lot of it. Ledge WDing takes away a lot of ledge camping as there are now more viable, safe options of what to do from the ledge. Additionally, you can't spam air dodges now to avoid everything.

Downsides of Brawl Wavedashing:

Yoshi Gets Nerfed: As someone else said, Yoshi can no longer air dodge (he can but it stops all momentum) as he's double jumping up leaving him very vulnerable and easy to edgeguard. He doesn't have the same super armor in his double jump that he had in Melee to make up for this. Yoshi can't WD out of shield, which happens a lot if your shield pops up by accident. Upon trying it more myself though, it's not as bad as you think. It's more like recovering with Melee Yoshi.

You Can Kill Yourself: Of course this is just based on you messing up, but one of the common ways people killed themselves in Melee was by messing up a WD and airdodging off the stage to their death. Yup, it now happens in Brawl.

Character Specific WD Techniques and Notes:

Wario: For Wario I used a lot of grabbing out of wavedash to greatly improve his dthrow tech chase. I think it might even be chainable at low percents.

Sonic: Easier to space his strong attacks now which helps a lot. Overall though, I'm unsure about his WD cause it's much slower than his running. Air dodging can help with his upB to stop momentum.

Zamus: Out of those I tried, I found her WD to be one of the hardest to do.

ROB: Maybe it's a natural nack I have from maining ROB, but his WD felt great. The length was perfect for setting up surprise fsmashes, getting in better range for dsmash, and even linking fsmashes out of other attacks. Also good for poking. Just don't airdodge with him lol.

Diddy: Wow Diddy gets a lot better with WDing. You can pick up bananas with a WD instead of his roll attack to speed things up A LOT. Only downside is that you can't catch bananas in the air with your airdodge anymore. Well you can, but then you're stunned which sucks lol. If you're used to grabbing them with an attack already though, no worries.

MetaKnight: Not as broken as one would think, but WDing to a ftilt amongst other things is pretty nice.

Fox: Sorry everyone, Fox can't waveshine as you can see in the video. His shine starts to let go the moment you let off of down B unlike Melee so you can't really jump cancel it. Wavedashing into shine however is nice for a quick surprise hit.

Olimar: As someone else said, you can desync Olimar's usmash if you use it right after a wavedash.

Pit: Pit's wavedash is very nice, and you can see a lot of applications of it in the recent videos I posted. Space attacks easier, and you can even rarely make the forward throw tech chase an actual chain grab at certain percents.

Captain Falcon: He is instantly better with wavedashing. He has safer options on the ledge with ledge WDing in conjunction with his uair and upB. His WD is a good distance and very smooth and makes moving around a lot better giving you more control over your characters. This makes landing critical grabs a lot easier, and easier to get good aerials with the Melee air dodge system.

Videos:
-My first wavedashing video
-ChiboSempai vs Rogue Pit 01
-ChiboSempai vs Rogue Pit 02
-ChiboSempai vs Rogue Pit 03
-ChiboSempai vs Rogue Pit 04
-ChiboSempai vs Rogue Pit 05
-ChiboSempai vs Rogue Pit 06
-ChiboSempai vs Rogue Pit 07
-ChiboSempai vs Rogue Pit 08

noodles

Smash Champion
im using this code first thing tomorrow i wouldnt have found out if i wasnt subscribed to your yotube lol

Adapt

Smash Lord
lol I like how they had to create a helpless animation for ZSS.

Also, is there any way to fix ROB?

noodles

Smash Champion
there is a way to stop tripping >.>. what i really want to get rid of is the auto sweet spot

Napilopez

Smash Lord
This is a very nice guide and all, but I think we are going to need a section for brawl hacks. I really don't like seeing this in the tactical discussion boards because I feel like it hampers work on the "pure" brawl's still-in-the-early-stages metagame.

Oh, and there already is a code to stop dash induced tripping(not tripping from attacks, which imo is a good thing).

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
This is lame. No tripping was enough..but now there's wavedashing and this dude wants L cancelling. Hey better yet, let's find a way to add parrying so it could be like SF4. No, let's not even stop there. Let's try to find a system for us to allow roman cancel likes in Guilty gear so we could start doing some REAL COMBOS!

Woot Brawl for life!!!

Brawl is starting to look like the Frankenstein of tournament fighters lmao.

Honestly though, I know this is just for fun. If anyone starts a tournaments with this setup as standard they're stupid. If you want to wavedash and L cancel, play Melee and leave it at that. These things have no place in tournaments and should only be used for fun. The only code that makes sense in tournaments is the infinite replay and possibly no tripping. But hey it's all up to the tournament director I suppose...

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
there is a way to stop trippin , however if they stop tripping i as a luigi player cant jab>dtilt trip to shoryuken , so ill pass on that one. maybe l canceling is possible , with these things you never know how far you can get

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yea no trippings been around for a couple months, infact, its turn on in this vid lol

once enough brawl transformation codes are made i plan on running modified brawl side events at my melee tournies lol. but yea this is in no way a substitute for real brawl

Revven

FrankerZ
Blah blah blah, I repeat the same thing as everyone else does about this type of stuff blah blah blah...
Nobody is forcing you to use the code. I'm going to use for friendlies, I don't know about you, because WDing in Brawl is FANTASTIC (I <3 it). It has its cons but, shoot, I like it. If you don't, that's fine, but, you don't have to repeat everything everybody has already said before in the actual thread this was brought to light. People said that about No Tripping, there hasn't been a single gripe about it since the thread was made, the same will happen for WDing and the soon to come L-Canceling (if it does come that is, which is the inevitable, let's face it, it will come). People who enjoy this type of Brawl will play this way, it's just like playing to win in Melee or playing with items on in Melee.

Two separate communities, was there anything wrong then? No, why should there be now with hacking? Hacking has been here since Melee, it's nothing new, why is it being so shunned upon now? It's always been used for fun, and adding WD to Brawl IS fun, I swear. I can now have two Brawls to play that contain two different experiences, I like it, it's like two games in one.

Anyway... back on topic.

I was messing with Falcon's WD today and LOL he has a COOL potential "combo" plz try it people.

WD Jab (or normal jab) > D-throw > WD > Usmash > Knee. I did this on a standing CPU Snake, it seemed to hit right at the Usmash and right after that you HAVE to connect the knee. It'll depend on who the character is though, I only tried it on Snake, and it seemed to work pretty well. Otherwise, it can just be a set up: Jab (or WD jab) > D-throw > WD > Usmash > [insert next move here] perhaps a WD and then RARed Uair? I dunno, I only tried it with the sweetspotted knee. It CAN miss with a flubbed knee but, anyway, this combo got Snake up to 50%, pretty NICE if you ask me. :)

Pompi said:
there is a way to stop trippin , however if they stop tripping i as a luigi player cant jab>dtilt trip to shoryuken , so ill pass on that one. maybe l canceling is possible , with these things you never know how far you can get
No Tripping only affects DASH-induced tripping, gawd, why do people keep thinking it affects move-induced tripping? :S

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
Ummm...wrong. Random tripping is the only thing that's affected. Moves that cause characters to trip such as certain dtilts and Diddy's bananas still trip.

And ugh.. jab, dtilt to "shoryuken" doesn't work on people with IQ's over 10....:ohwell:

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
nice guide, Chibo.

i would just like to mention under the "you can kill yourself" section, its commonly referred to as 'Azen dashing' ;3

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
Nobody is forcing you to use the code. I'm going to use for friendlies, I don't know about you, because WDing in Brawl is FANTASTIC (I <3 it). It has its cons but, shoot, I like it. If you don't, that's fine, but, you don't have to repeat everything everybody has already said before in the actual thread this was brought to light. People said that about No Tripping, there hasn't been a single gripe about it since the thread was made, the same will happen for WDing and the soon to come L-Canceling (if it does come that is, which is the inevitable, let's face it, it will come). People who enjoy this type of Brawl will play this way, it's just like playing to win in Melee or playing with items on in Melee.

Two separate communities, was there anything wrong then? No, why should there be now with hacking? Hacking has been here since Melee, it's nothing new, why is it being so shunned upon now? It's always been used for fun, and adding WD to Brawl IS fun, I swear. I can now have two Brawls to play that contain two different experiences, I like it, it's like two games in one.

Anyway... back on topic.

I was messing with Falcon's WD today and LOL he has a COOL potential "combo" plz try it people.

WD Jab (or normal jab) > D-throw > WD > Usmash > Knee. I did this on a standing CPU Snake, it seemed to hit right at the Usmash and right after that you HAVE to connect the knee. It'll depend on who the character is though, I only tried it on Snake, and it seemed to work pretty well. Otherwise, it can just be a set up: Jab (or WD jab) > D-throw > WD > Usmash > [insert next move here] perhaps a WD and then RARed Uair? I dunno, I only tried it with the sweetspotted knee. It CAN miss with a flubbed knee but, anyway, this combo got Snake up to 50%, pretty NICE if you ask me. :)

No Tripping only affects DASH-induced tripping, gawd, why do people keep thinking it affects move-induced tripping? :S

I was directly referring to tournaments when I said this shouldn't be used. I could care less about how people use this in their friendlies. Honestly dude why would I care if you and your friends use items, put on floaty physics and play with wavedashing..?! Learn to read next time buddy. And for your information I wasn't repeating anything anyone else has said. It's impossible even, as this is the first day I've learned about this and I haven't seen any negative reactions to it yet. As far as I know I was the first one to say something negative towards it.

Oh, and next time you decide to make an "epic" post...at least read the post you're replying to properly before looking really really stupid...:ohwell:

FAIL

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
You know the "reverse aerial rush" technique you can use to run, jump and be facing the other direction in midair? Well, couldn't you do that with wavedashing? And then be in position for a bair or something else backwards?

Example - (character) is charging a forward smash, you are running at them. You do the said reverse wavedash, shield while still sliding (they are hitting the back of your sheild), then SH bair them out of shield.

Niko_K

Smash Master
So I thought about this...

You get hit at 140 by some gay strong move.
You SDI properly, then air dodge towards the stage?
Momentum Cancel?

AMC?!?! lmfaooo

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
So I thought about this...

You get hit at 140 by some gay strong move.
You SDI properly, then air dodge towards the stage?
Momentum Cancel?

AMC?!?! lmfaooo
Wow, I just got an even better idea. Get hit by an Ike forward smash, then DI down, as close to parallel to the stage and then air dodge downward into the stage and the do something to prevent yourself from going flying off the ledge at over 9000 MPH.

Oh, and I should probably point out that based on the friendly video, it would appear that it doesn't stop your momentum when you air dodge, but if you air dodge right it will make you go right a little bit for a split second unless you are flying faster than the air dodge carries you. In other words, it does not change your momentum at all, it only moves you in a given direction briefly.

Revven

FrankerZ
I was directly referring to tournaments when I said this shouldn't be used. I could care less about how people use this in their friendlies. Honestly dude why would I care if you and your friends use items, put on floaty physics and play with wavedashing..?! Learn to read next time buddy. And for your information I wasn't repeating anything anyone else has said. It's impossible even, as this is the first day I've learned about this and I haven't seen any negative reactions to it yet. As far as I know I was the first one to say something negative towards it.

Oh, and next time you decide to make an "epic" post...at least read the post you're replying to properly before looking really really stupid...:ohwell:

FAIL
Not really fail (well... I guess it was a FAILpost on my part @_@) because the whole tournament standard has been mentioned before in the other thread Chibo linked to in the first post and it was also brought up in No Tripping's case. Most people realize it won't be standard. I was saying it doesn't need to be repeated (because it has been said before, maybe not in this topic but, in other topics). It's a little irritating is all I was relaying to you. We don't need posts like that when this thread is discussing the potential of WDing and what can be done with it and etc. now that it exists.

Talk about tournament standard in the thread that's questioning it here.

kthx.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
So why is this in tactical discussion, again?

Hasn't the SBR already said that they don't want to make hacks a tourney standard?

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I wanna see a vid of this with Link lol. :D And on that note, does anyone know how to hack with a Mac? >_> Or is it the same as Windows? Halp! :O

M@v

Subarashii!
this is nice for kicks and giggles, but its never going to be used mainstream, like the no tripping hack. Also this got me thinking; What if A non hacked console played a wave dashing hacked console online? Would the game spontaneously combust and explode? :laugh:

Revven

FrankerZ
I wanna see a vid of this with Link lol. :D And on that note, does anyone know how to hack with a Mac? >_> Or is it the same as Windows? Halp! :O
You is gonnas need the following attachment to this post. Paste the code into text edit (without the name) and go to Format > Make Plain Text. Then take the txt2gct (a script attached to this post) open it and select the text file. Name it RSBE01.gct and save it to the folder in your SD Card called "codes".

Download the txt2gct here

Everything else as far as installing the HBC onto the Wii is the same.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Yoshi doesn't necessarily get nerfed. In fact, if Yoshi is played the way people have been playing him lately, he should get better. This is because the vector of your airdodge is added to the vector of Yoshi, Ness and Lucas' double jumps. Essentially, if you airdodge in the same direction as their jumps, you get more distance and invincibility.

Also, I've noticed that the best order to perform the input is tilt diagonally > buffer airdodge while jumping. If you do it right, you won't get any undesired effects of buffering. Personally, I've been using the Z button, although that won't be as useful for Zair users.

Edit: Also, lol at MK not being better with wavedashing. You're forgetting about WD > Dsmash, or better yet WD w/ buffered spotdodge > dsmash. Seriously. MK gets brokener no matter what you do.

Edit 2: Also, you should include in your notes that Olimar's chances of desyncing from his Pikmin increase a lot with this, but if it's properly applied, it increases the range of his forward and down smashes in the opposite direction of the dash, it also creates a weird effect with his usmash hitbox, and seems to extend his grab range.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
By the way, not sure if anybody noticed, but Squirtle can't wavedash. With the code it doesn't allow him to air dodge directionally.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
By the way, not sure if anybody noticed, but Squirtle can't wavedash. With the code it doesn't allow him to air dodge directionally.
Yes he can. Load him from the selection screen. Transformation characters are still a bit buggy. Apparently the guy is working on fixing that.

Asylum

Smash Journeyman
This could possibly give DDD infinite pivot chaingrabs and various characters infinite jab lock combo's.
No, DDD's wavedash isn't long enough. It's faster to just run after the d throw.

I tried this on wifi, with both people using the code. It works fairly well. The only problem so far is desyncs.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
I thought he said he fixed the code so that transformed people can still WD. Has the code just not been put up yet?

Dragonslayer9

Smash Cadet
So...If one player had this wavedashing technique and the other player had to play the normal way (without wavedashing) who would have the bigger advantage?

Tonb3rry

Smash Ace
I got some questions:
Can this code be used with PAL Brawl or Japanese Brawl?
And can I run these codes without having an USB Gecko (I have a modded Wii)?

If so; how?

Revven

FrankerZ
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom