• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A fox technique

Sukai

Smash Champion
I just discovered a technique while training with Fox.
I don't know how well known this is, but I'll go ahead and spit it out.
I don't know the proper terminology if someone already discovered it, so for the time being, I'll call it Reflector Cancel or RC for short.

Pretty much what it is is just using Fox's reflector to cancel his jump and turn it into a delayed short hop.
This can be used as an effective mind game, especially for your fluent short hopper.
In this case, you don't need to short hop at all, because the Reflector will cancel his jump in it's tracks. After you dupped you opponent, you can folow in traditionally with a d air and one of the following: d smash, u smash, d special.
Good for what I mentioned above, mind games.
Combine this with normal short hopping and you got yourself a confused opponent.
RC for the win.

PS, I already know that everyone knows that his Reflector cancels his aerial movement, I just discovered it being used this way.
Discuss.

K 2

Smash Lord
Your opponent can just fsmash you when you use reflector...At first, I thought you discovered a way to cancel the lag of the reflector, but oh well...As for mindgames, fastfall->shine, dashdance, and illusion cancel.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Pretty much what it is is just using Fox's reflector to cancel his jump and turn it into a delayed short hop.
The lag coming out of the reflector will get you hit in the face. Hard.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Eh, not really. I tested it, it's effective.
Chances are your opponent is gonna take defensive measures, and if things go wrong, you can double jump to safety, the lag isn't that big that you can't abort if things go wrong.
And only opponents with a F smash that arks over head (ie Ike, Marth) can hit you if you use this technique, but they will have to see it coming in advance.
You prevent this from being predictable by combinig this technique with normal short hops.
I'd be happy to show anyone what I mean, we can exchange FCs, PM me if you're considering it.

P.S. the dash dancing never worked on me as a mind game, it always seemed like incoherent fidgeting.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I find dash dancing very useful, feints like that can bait your opponent sometimes. It also makes you unpredictable, your opponent has no clue what your next move will be. If it wasn't for stupid tripping, I think more people would implement this into their game.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Shine takes at least 3 frames. Considering you can't release it immediately, that's 5-6 frames. If you want to turn it into a proper short hop, that's 7-8 frames.

I can do a whole lot in 7 frames.

P.S. the dash dancing never worked on me as a mind game, it always seemed like incoherent fidgeting.
If done correctly, it turns into a **** good spacer. Key words: IF DONE CORRECTLY.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
Shine takes at least 3 frames. Considering you can't release it immediately, that's 5-6 frames. If you want to turn it into a proper short hop, that's 7-8 frames.

If done correctly, it turns into a **** good spacer. Key words: IF DONE CORRECTLY.
DDing is ineffictive in brawl due to the chance of tripping

Sukai

Smash Champion
Nice analogy, 7 frames, out of 60 per second is **** fast.
There is only a handful of attacks that are executed in exactly or before 7 frames, and none of them, save for Meta Knight's d smash (which won't hit me anyway, because I'm airbourne) will KO me, nice trash talk though. And even so, you will still have to see it coming in advance. I won't always do it, I'll blend in normal short hops as well. To discern between that and my Shine cancel will take telepathy, or inhuman reflexes.

Then I have yet to face one who has done it correctly.
Obviously you're just too pro.
Sarcasm aside, I'm nowhere near pro, but the concept of mind game effects does not vary on the character, but on the player.
Its just hard to screw with me like that.
You Dash Dance.
I stand there, you do random move, I shield grab.
Your owned--unless you grab first, which makes the DDing moot, because a run and then grab would have been just as effective.
Its quite simple, DDing is not as effective on a defensive player as it is on an offensive one.
So when you start incoherently fidgeting, I stop and wait for your move, since I can't predict you, I'll just react to you, when you launch your attack.

:P

I'll say this again, if you want a demonstration, PM me and we can set up a match.

And for the record, moving is nor ineffective.
You only trip when you're in a running animation, a simple tilt gets around that.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
And even so, you will still have to see it coming in advance. I won't always do it, I'll blend in normal short hops as well. To discern between that and my Shine cancel will take telepathy, or inhuman reflexes.
while a random way to mess with a defensive player. in general doing shine like that has more risk that reward verses alot of characters. marths UpB also says hi.

Sarcasm aside, I'm nowhere near pro, but the concept of mind game effects does not vary on the character, but on the player.
Its just hard to screw with me like that.
So when you start incoherently fidgeting, I stop and wait for your move, since I can't predict you, I'll just react to you, when you launch your attack.
then is is affecting you to a certain extent, by putting you in a defensive position. also some moves can't be shiled grabbed, or if its a shorthop its possible to go behind your shield.

And for the record, moving is nor ineffective.
You only trip when you're in a running animation, a simple tilt gets around that.
hon you trip from running, turning around, walking, attacks, landing, pretty much anything.

K 2

Smash Lord
7 frames? MK can dsmash like 3 times in 7 frames. The chance of tripping is not that great...I used to play the whole match my foxtrotting and I only trip 2-3 times per match (that's initiating a dash every 2-3 seconds for about 5 minutes). Dashdancing here and there won't cause you to trip that much...

Sukai

Smash Champion
omg another debate, why do I get into so many!?
while a random way to mess with a defensive player. in general doing shine like that has more risk that reward verses alot of characters. marths UpB also says hi.
True, but again, the player will have to see it coming. What if I short hop, d air, u smash (which there is very little defense against), Marth's u smash will be too shy to even wave out the window. Of course I'm not gonna just run in gung-frikk'n ho and do it, thats too obvious and can/will be sanctioned. But mix it in a normal strategy, it will work, again, I've tested this, while I may not go against tourney-winning pros, I do face some **** good players, and it works.

then is is affecting you to a certain extent, by putting you in a defensive position. also some moves can't be shiled grabbed, or if its a shorthop its possible to go behind your shield.
Yes, it does "affect" me, in terms of cause and effect, action and reaction, but it leaves you little advantage over me in terms of confusing me to gain the upper hand.
I used the shield grab as an example of resoponding to your move, because I can't see it coming to predict it.
If you short hop behind me, I'll roll dodge away from you, or I'll u smash you, which ever I decide to do. Indeed some moves can't be shield grabbed, but I can just as well, counter in the lag of your attack, or take more defensive measures.

hon you trip from running, turning around, walking, attacks, landing, pretty much anything.
Baby, I only experienced and seen (including youtube videos) tripping as a result of running.
The only exception is Diddy's d special.

7 frames? MK can dsmash like 3 times in 7 frames.
I'd say twice.
But that wasn't the point, no matter how many times he does his d smash, It can't hit an airbourne opponent, which was what I was emphasizing when I mentioned him.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
True, but again, the player will have to see it coming. What if I short hop, d air, u smash (which there is very little defense against), Marth's u smash will be too shy to even wave out the window. Of course I'm not gonna just run in gung-frikk'n ho and do it, thats too obvious and can/will be sanctioned. But mix it in a normal strategy, it will work, again, I've tested this, while I may not go against tourney-winning pros, I do face some **** good players, and it works.
im assuming you aren't blind rushing in with it. also marths UpB(dolphin slash) comes out in 1 frame with 4 frames invincibility. it may work here and there. but when you do do it, if your opponent reacts offensively to it, your more open then they are. also who are these good players you speak of?

Yes, it does "affect" me, in terms of cause and effect, action and reaction, but it leaves you little advantage over me in terms of confusing me to gain the upper hand.
I used the shield grab as an example of resoponding to your move, because I can't see it coming to predict it.
what if im just spacing, and not trying to confuse you? DDing is not always to confuse.

If you short hop behind me, I'll roll dodge away from you, or I'll u smash you, which ever I decide to do. Indeed some moves can't be shield grabbed, but I can just as well, counter in the lag of your attack, or take more defensive measures.
i don't think Usmashing when someones behind you works that well. also rolling brings things back to a stalemate. and if i SH an aerial move more or less it will have no lag on landing, such as SH Lucas nair then following up with jab upon landing your back is turned so no shield grab, unless you roll away, but if that happens its PKfire lol. if i go over your shield and outside of your reach again only someone with long range or a projectile is at advantage

Baby, I only experienced and seen (including youtube videos) tripping as a result of running.
The only exception is Diddy's d special.
then you Sir have not expirienced/seen the wonderful world of tripping.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
This technique is not worth it even though it might have some situational uses, almost everyone realizes this, end of discussion. Very simple, now moving on...

Tenki

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure you only trip when you start runs.

btw, I use Foxtrot + DD in my game sometimes.

It's not something to be spammed, but more of a one-shot deal.

Like,

1) foxtrot forward
2) DD to 'pivot' and foxtrot backward (original spacing) [optional repeat to go forward again]
3) F-smash-cancelled foxtrot / whatever.

or

(in front of someone shielding)
1) foxtrot backwards
2) DD-"pivot" (makes you FT forwards) > dashgrab/F-smash/hyphen smash to punish their OoS movement.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
maybe its cause i trip consistently from almost anything other than walking. i land form the air start to move i trip, i turn around and trip, then there are the attacks that make you trip.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
You trip when you:

Start running
Turn while running
get hit with a trip inducing attack...including bananas
Fsmash with the control stick... I hate that one.
Side B with the control stick on the ground....

Never while walking or jumping.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Nice analogy, 7 frames, out of 60 per second is **** fast.
No, this is ****ing slow. It doesn't need to be a KO move; anyone could easily start a combo on you. You're thinking one-dimensionally, and it shows. I don't know what kind of testing you did, but you obviously didn't do enough of it.

There is only a handful of attacks that are executed in exactly or before 7 frames
Show me your frame data or stop making stupid claims.

Jabs hits before 7 frames. A ****load of Utilts hit before 7 frames. A ton of aerials execute before 7 frames. Hell, some smashes execute before 7 frames. Shuttle Loop and Dolphin Slash say hi, etc. etc. Not to mention that I'm being generous with the 7-8 frames.

Have you even considered any of this?

Even assuming that they don't "see" it until you shine, that's still a good 4-5 frames of punishment. Which is not, as you claim, "**** fast."

Data or out.

So in other words, you're going to get boned by anyone good, since you just lost control of the stage and severely reduced the options for your character.

Sukai

Smash Champion
im assuming you aren't blind rushing in with it. also marths UpB(dolphin slash) comes out in 1 frame with 4 frames invincibility. it may work here and there. but when you do do it, if your opponent reacts offensively to it, your more open then they are. also who are these good players you speak of?
If my opponent reacts offensively to it.
You put too much faith on the "opponent's" reaction time. There is no real distinction of whether not I'll do the attack. Which is why I mix it in.
And what would matter about the good players I've faced. Even if I told you about them, it's not like you would think it credible, unless you've faced tem yourself. I could give you their friend codes if you want.

what if im just spacing, and not trying to confuse you? DDing is not always to confuse.
You're not the only one to forget that the subject at hand on DDing was mindgames. I said that it won't work on me when used as a mindgame.
I know what DDing is good for, but as a mindgame it's quite ineffective, against me atleast.

i don't think Usmashing when someones behind you works that well.
I meant u smashing when they short hop to get behind me, not after they've already accomplished it...
also rolling brings things back to a stalemate.
A stalemate is better than a disadvantage of having my opponent behind me.
and if i SH an aerial move more or less it will have no lag on landing, such as SH Lucas nair then following up with jab upon landing your back is turned so no shield grab, unless you roll away, but if that happens its PKfire lol.
I can just shield your jab and shine you, not time to pk fire then. You see what I did, I displayed a senario, where I gain the upper hand like you just did.
Why stop there? Instead of shining, I can use the technique that everyone is dissing me over. I'll jump (not short hop) shine just a little above you, I'll probably do it again to take evasive manuevers or double jump, if you try to u smash, then I'll d air and shine again, repeat. Lucas can be easily shine comboed. "lol"
if i go over your shield and outside of your reach again only someone with long range or a projectile is at advantage

Uh... reflector?
it may work as a one time deal, but I'll get used to it and reflect it, plus the lag in roll dodging can be canceled with shielding again, I won't be as wide open for attack as you think I would be.

sigh...

This technique is not worth it even though it might have some situational uses, almost everyone realizes this, end of discussion. Very simple, now moving on...
+ 5 for origninality.
- 10 for lack of intelligent arguement.
- 5 for being condescnding.

maybe its cause i trip consistently from almost anything other than walking. i land form the air start to move i trip, i turn around and trip, then there are the attacks that make you trip.
I like how you changed your opinion simply because someone else said it.
I see where this is going.

No, this is ****ing slow. It doesn't need to be a KO move; anyone could easily start a combo on you. You're thinking one-dimensionally, and it shows. I don't know what kind of testing you did, but you obviously didn't do enough of it.
I tested it on good players, and they said it's effective, but see, they said this from experience, not conjecture and situational logic, which is what you all are doing.

Show me your frame data or stop making stupid claims.

Jabs hits before 7 frames. A ****load of Utilts hit before 7 frames. A ton of aerials execute before 7 frames. Hell, some smashes execute before 7 frames. Shuttle Loop and Dolphin Slash say hi, etc. etc. Not to mention that I'm being generous with the 7-8 frames.

Have you even considered any of this?

Even assuming that they don't "see" it until you shine, that's still a good 4-5 frames of punishment. Which is not, as you claim, "**** fast."

Data or out.
I'm a flash artist, and the speed measurement in flash is measured in frames.
I've done 60 per second many a time. And 7/60 is **** fast.
think about it this way.

It obvious that every 60 frames, a second has passed. So 7 out of the 60 is like (rough estimate) 0.35 seconds.
Tell you what, show me your data, or stop making stupid claims.
Keep in mind that Fox is a fast faller, so after the shine, he will descend quickly.
That gives me an advantage to attack.

So in other words, you're going to get boned by anyone good, since you just lost control of the stage and severely reduced the options for your character.
No, I respond to their attack. Waiting for an action is not losing control, and it doesn't narrow my options, it atcually expands them. I'm not gonna fly to their whim, by randomly trying to attack them while they DD.

I see where all of your view points are, but I don't quite get what you all see in me to combat me on this. Like JigglyZelda did not believe me about tripping, but someone else says it and all of a sudden its fact.
So I offer this again.

If anyone wishes to reply to any of this, reply to this next sentence.
I can show anyone who doubts this strategy. it is situational, but its still effective.
We can organized a match and I can show anyone, ANYONE who doubts this. or try it out for yourself.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
You're defensive about this, eh? oh wells

Not everybody here is being condescending...they just don't agree with you...as it is their right to post in here, too.

This tech only really helps if they're going to try to shield grab you...and don't react to new things. If they hold shield or spot dodge...or react to the shine and attack with a number of good moves, you are putting yourself in a LOT of risk.

We are all assuming that the player will be able to react to it... as most higher up tournament players can.

say they are holding shield as you start this... even if they don't guess it out...and only see the shine, characters like Marth, MK, another Fox, and Snake, with a few others...can attack you out of it straight up. Otherwise, they can just hold shield and get a guaranteed grab.

I mean, when I see a reflector, it makes me think I can attack it. It leaves you vulnerable for a small bit of time, where it isn't hard to hit it.

*shrug*, I just don't see this being applicable in higher tourney play.

sigh...if you really want to show me. I'll probably be on later tonight... wifi sucks, but whatever.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Tell you what, show me your data, or stop making stupid claims.
I just showed you all the frame data.

It obvious that every 60 frames, a second has passed. So 7 out of the 60 is like (rough estimate) 0.35 seconds.
For reference - Ike's Fsmash takes an entire second. 7 frames is not that fast, and I already listed a bunch of moves that beat it out. How are you going to stop those? I haven't even accounted for the time it takes for Fox to reach SH height, which easily tacks on another 3 frames or so. That leaves a window open for even more moves. It's just too punishable, where you'd be better off throwing out an aerial to cover your ***.

When a reflector comes out near the opponent without hitting, it's like signaling for a free attack. At a high enough level of play, people will see this and screw Fox up. Badly.

No, I respond to their attack. Waiting for an action is not losing control, and it doesn't narrow my options, it atcually expands them. I'm not gonna fly to their whim, by randomly trying to attack them while they DD.
At the same time, you're also granting your opponent a way to make sure you stay where he wants you stay, and free spacing. You're cornering yourself. How does it expand your options if your only choice is to wait for them to do something? You obviously don't rush in and attack them, but you don't sit by and wait either. You have to create your own openings, and if someone is DDing correctly and you're expecting to react, then you have severely reduced your options - they outspace you and get a oneup on positioning. You're stuck.

not conjecture and situational logic, which is what you all are doing.
You've obviously never taken a course in logic and reasoning. Your friends' experiences are subjective, and we're providing the most objective outlook on this, based on what moves characters have, how long this takes, and the exact frame data. What is "situational logic," anyway?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Knux I was being straight up honest when I said that basically this won't accomplish much. I said it might have some useful, yet situational, value. I know my post might have sounded condescending, but I can almost guarantee that most people would agree with me when I say this is something that is not too practical or useful to rely on much.

Sukai

Smash Champion
All of you make a fair argument.
Yeah, I'm defensive on this, because I know it works, maybe not everytime, but It works.
Plus, being backed into a corner by every person to reply will get anyone defensive.
Or submissive, but thats another story.
I'm quite frankly done debating here, I'll add anyone who won't mind me showing them, In which Fenrir is the only guy who volunteered.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I'll add anyone who won't mind me showing them, In which Fenrir is the only guy who volunteered.
And that brings me to the fact that I won't be online tonight... : / plans changed...and it is Friday night. sorry. I'll catch you next week. you have aim? pm me sometime

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
i didn't change my opinion on tripping, but maybe i am overexagerating. since i play online often and having 3 seconds of latency plus the wireless controller i have to put in movements kinda hard, which might mean im dashing everytime i land or turn around and trip.

Top Bottom