• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up discussion #28: Ness

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Time to do Ness...

He's a better fighter than Lucas. He fights more fluently and has less limitatons. His recovery screws him though...He's worse than Lucas...he is stronger in the air, especially his fair is a very good move....He also has better grabs so u have to be more careful when attacking.

I'm inclined to say it's 55:45 but I'd rather wait for what you guys say---

Discuss

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
55:45 Wolf is spot-on. Ness is strong in the air, but he's weaker on the ground, so you probably want to try and take him on there. Approaching Wolf shouldn't be too problematic, since his aerials tend to be his best approaching options in the first place, so he just has to get past blasters to get into a decent combat range with Wolf.

His recovery isn't all that good, but just remember that his PK Thunder is slightly faster than Lucas's, and if it hits you, it will hurt, so be mindful of what you're doing when you go for a gimp. Really, just watch out for his disjointed moves (though they're all not too powerful anyway) and remember that he's good in the air but not so good on the ground, and it should be a generally straightforward match.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I think I'm going to go with what both of you have to say. But I'd like to say that Ness' ground game isn't entirely useless.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
It's not useless, but... really, it's not all that great. Wolf shouldn't have that much trouble with it.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
55:45 for Wolf. Ness can give you problems with Fair, but Wolf dominates the ground and can outrange Ness in most situations, plus you can shine PK Fire.

Wolfandike

Smash Apprentice
here we go

Wolfs pros:Heavy, shine has good range and can punish like all of ness's ground moves,Ness's bad recovery is easy to gimp with bair.
cons:blasters don't work good on ness because of his size. Trying to sweet spot ness with >b is a task because of his size. wolf is fairly bigger then most charaters so it's easy for ness to sweet spot his bair.

Ness pros: Wolf is an easy charater to grab. rWolf is larger so it's easy to hit wolf with prejectiles. he can down B wolfs blaster.

cons:Wof can k.o ness at low precentages like 70 with dsmash, wolf has a couple options to gimp ness es recovery.

will I would say its like 60:40 wolfs favor

Darth JoBak

Smash Apprentice
I lean more towards the 60:40 but I would just as easily go with 55:45

ness wins if he manages an early spike is a match (too oblivious?)

ness's fair lasts several frames making it easy to interrupt with a reflector (like a pseudo counter)

wolf's ground game gives the edge imo

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
Ness has some really great Aerial options, His Fair is a disjoint and his Bair is fast and has really good knockback if sweetspotted.

I have a lot of trouble with his yoyo's, they seem to outprioritize all my moves (perhaps because they are dsjoints) and they have strong knockback this time.

I've been KOed (specially by Uffe) a lot of times when trying to edgeguard and getting hit by his recovery.
So be carefull when edgehogging or edgeguarding.

I'd say 55:45 Wolf.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Time to do Ness...

He's a better fighter than Lucas. He fights more fluently and has less limitatons. His recovery screws him though...He's worse than Lucas...he is stronger in the air, especially his fair is a very good move....He also has better grabs so u have to be more careful when attacking.

I'm inclined to say it's 55:45 but I'd rather wait for what you guys say---

Discuss
So, Wolf's recovery is worse than Ness...

Yeah, I agree 55-45 is fine.

Kookie

Smash Apprentice
The ground is usually where Wolf makes Ness suffer. Or at least in all the cases I've played.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Ness double jump covers most of Wolfs up B distance. But Im starting to like wolf's side B. ZAP.

Even then, if Ness DOES have a worse (or equal) recovery. Ness is not that far behind (or ahead) so we can equate recoveries OUT of this matchup.

Kookie

Smash Apprentice
You know, the beginning of Ness's jumps really throw me off sometimes. **** those twirly-flips.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
No. PKNintendo is right. Gimping / recovery shouldn't be part of the equation. Both are equally gimpable and neither Ness nor Wolf has KO issues to begin with

Top Bottom