• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Ranking of Spikes in Brawl (Update: 01-05-2009)

Adapt

Smash Lord
Ok, since I started this project I have seen 2-3 topics on whose spike is the strongest. The answer to that question is not an easy one due to the way knockback increases with damage in this game. This is not really a ranking of which spike is best because there is also the matter of ease of use, for example I happen to find that Falco's spike is by far the easiest to hit with. That is a subjective trait and differs from person to person so I choose to ignore it for this ranking system. Since I am Statistics Boy Wonder on the ZSS forums I chose to use knockback as my ranking system because it is easily quantifiable and I can draw some good general conclusions from it.

Every spike is ranked according to the percentage damage that is required before the move hits to produce a downward knockback of 4725 MPH on Mario. This number was chosen because it happens to be the knockback of Luigi's down taunt, regardless of damage percentage. This seemed fitting because I have yet to see someone survive Luigi's Spike.

Aerial Spikes

Knockback is a pretty simple formula when not accounting for characters other than Mario:
<Knockback> = <Initial Power> + <Growth Rate> * <Damage after Hit>

For information on how this changes with different characters, I will direct you to Mr. Silver's thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162546

Notes:
- I know there are a couple moves that people will claim are missing like Yoshi or Fox's dair, but I excluded these for a reason. They do not act like spikes, even though they do knock the opponent downwards.
- If a spike has multiple hitboxes the one marked with a (1) is the stronger version. Also, Olimar's Pikmin are of course separated: b=blue, y=yellow etc...

Spiking Ground Moves

There are also several grounded moves that have spiking properties as well. These are much harder to spike with, but they are still important to consider, so I ranked these as well:

Grounded Spikes

When you do a spike on a grounded foe they are popped upwards. The knockback that they travel upwards is actually less than the knockback of an aerial spike. 20% less to be more precise. This seems to be the trend with all the spikes I have tested with the exception of Ike's Up-B, and the many spikes that have a different hitbox on the ground than in the air. ZSS's Down-B is a good example of this, it is a horizontally killing move if it connects on the ground, but in the air it will spike.

Notes:
- These are only the spikes that have the same hitbox on the ground as in the air. I will update later with more info on the spikes that have different hitboxes.
- The spikes are ranked according to the damage at which they hit Mario at 6300 MPH. 6300 MPH is the approximate knockback that will star KO Mario. The actual kill percentage of each spike is dependent on DI, but it would not likely change the order of the spikes here very much if at all.
- Ike's Up-B does not follow the 20% rule. As you can see, the hitbox does the same knockback whether you hit mario on the ground or in the air.
- I'm still missing Luigi's dair from this list, I am terrible at getting the spike to connect.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks to cr4sh, ph00tbag, and FadedImage for getting some numbers I was missing.

-Adapt

Genos

Smash Apprentice
Wow, great job man! This is an awesome list. I was thinking about doing something like this when I saw your post in the "Which spike is the strongest?" topic, but I never got around to it. To be honest it made a lot more sense for you to do it. Props, man.

Also, I'm glad to see that Mario's fair is not the worst spike in the game. :D

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
This is amazing but other properties such as hit stun are different on each spike, Ness' spike has the most hit stun if I'm correct. This makes it send you down further before you can react.

But this is a good list, a very good one, nice work. Ganon's spike is amazing.

Genos

Smash Apprentice
Oh, one more thing. For the last two spikes (Kirby's Up-B and Charizard's Bair) there is 0 growth rate. Does this mean they have set knockback? If so that is some crazy stuff.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Very nice, it's very organized and easy to read. Great for people wondering what moves spike/meteor smash and all that additional data included.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I see that your missing Luigi's Dair spike and your having problems with it?

What do you need to know?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
based on the graphs and stuff, and since you said that youve never seen anyone survive luigis taunt spike. i infer the the number on the right of the graphs is the damage your foe will have to be at to ensure that they dont survive because thats the damage at which the knockback speed will be equal to the taunt.

medoinitrite?

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Woot @ Ness being Third.

I always knew he was one of the best, but no one else ever seemed to think so.

Pearl Floatzel

Smash Apprentice
Great work.

Thanks for testing all this. Nice to know Ganon is first and second, and that Ness is third. I need to spike more with Ness.

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
Can you put the non sweet spotted D-Air from Ike on there? Then I'd get a comparison. Other than that great. Ganon's growth rate is very surprising.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
How come you didn't list luigi's dair spike?

Edit: My bad. Note to self. read before posting.

I can get it to connect more often than you seem to be able to. If that helps. I might be able to assist.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Ness' spike is soo good. It can kill people at 0 % if their recovery isn't like ROBs/MKs/Kirbys... (and I still kill MKs with it... at higher percents though ^^)

I love it.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Can you put the non sweet spotted D-Air from Ike on there? Then I'd get a comparison. Other than that great. Ganon's growth rate is very surprising.
Ike's no-sweetspotted dair hit's upwards at a ~70 deg angle does it not? It isn't a spike so I didn't include it.

How come you didn't list luigi's dair spike?

Edit: My bad. Note to self. read before posting.

I can get it to connect more often than you seem to be able to. If that helps. I might be able to assist.
I see that your missing Luigi's Dair spike and your having problems with it?

What do you need to know?
When you finish a game, there is a stat called "Max Launch Speed"
Hit mario with the spiking dair (no other moves) at 0%, quit the game, and record the launch speed. Next set the handicap to 300% and again hit mario with the spiking dair and record the launch speed.

If you can get me these two speeds, and the damage of the spiking hit I can do everything else.

based on the graphs and stuff, and since you said that youve never seen anyone survive luigis taunt spike. i infer the the number on the right of the graphs is the damage your foe will have to be at to ensure that they dont survive because thats the damage at which the knockback speed will be equal to the taunt.

medoinitrite?
yep

Oh, one more thing. For the last two spikes (Kirby's Up-B and Charizard's Bair) there is 0 growth rate. Does this mean they have set knockback? If so that is some crazy stuff.
yep

This is amazing but other properties such as hit stun are different on each spike, Ness' spike has the most hit stun if I'm correct. This makes it send you down further before you can react.

But this is a good list, a very good one, nice work. Ganon's spike is amazing.
You can't really quanitfy hitstun but it is roughly correlated with knockback speed. There may be a few exceptions, but it shouldn't make too much difference.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
So you finally posted it. Good.

Everyone should take note how awesome the Flip Jump spike is.

testo024

Smash Cadet
Does Peach's Dair not count as a spike? The last hit from it launches the opponent upwards proportionately with the opponents percentage.

testo024

Smash Cadet
Originally Posted by testo024
Does Peach's Dair not count as a spike? The last hit from it launches the opponent upwards proportionately with the opponents percentage.

A spike knocks your opponent downward, not up.
Ah, sorry about that. I guess when I saw Peach's dtilt listed (which spikes upward), I thought the Dair counted too....but I guess the author just meant you can spike dtilt downwards from the edge... nevermind !:urg:

CR4SH

Smash Lord
OK, so I have a problem here. How do you get them in a position to spike them? I don't have any help, and it seems that hitting it while they're standing on a platform doesn't do any good.

Adapt

Smash Lord
I just use the two controllers together... you can make mario jump twice, then grab your controller, hop, then spike him when he falls. It doesn't have to be done over the edge for testing this stuff.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I just use the two controllers together... you can make mario jump twice, then grab your controller, hop, then spike him when he falls. It doesn't have to be done over the edge for testing this stuff.
Try to do this when you're alone. You look really stupid, and people around you will look at you funny for sure. I'm pretty sure my roommate thinks I'm insane.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
OK, I can do that.

(It's gonna be harder though, *grumble*grumble*)

Edit: all done

0%-1580
300%-10838

Took me a total of 5 tries. Just for reference.

Adapt

Smash Lord
OK, I can do that.

(It's gonna be harder though, *grumble*grumble*)

Edit: all done

0%-1580
300%-10838

Took me a total of 5 tries. Just for reference.
Thanks, but I also need the amount of damage the spiking hitbox does. Keep in mind Luigi is probably my 5th least used character, I don't even know where the dair spikes. I know it normally does 11% but spiking hitboxes are sometimes different.

The growth rate is (10838-1580)/300 which = 30.86

EDIT: got it, it still does 11% (took me 10 tries)

Initial Power: 1240.54
Growth Rate: 30.86
4725 MPH: 101.912%

That places it in 30th rank, behind Yoshi's Fair

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Ike's Neutral B move, Eruption, is technically a spike. It's not a well known fact, so that could be why you didn't include it.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Oh guys, spring platforms on custom stages are your friends when testing these.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
Finally, a chart to dispel the Ness spike > Ganon spike.
Ganon's spike is an auto-sweetspot, while I'm almost certain Ness's spike doesn't always spike.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Finally, a chart to dispel the Ness spike > Ganon spike.
Ganon's spike is an auto-sweetspot, while I'm almost certain Ness's spike doesn't always spike.
Ness has higher initial power and more miles per hour. Ganondorf only wins out on growth rate.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Thanks, but I also need the amount of damage the spiking hitbox does. Keep in mind Luigi is probably my 5th least used character, I don't even know where the dair spikes. I know it normally does 11% but spiking hitboxes are sometimes different.

The growth rate is (10838-1580)/300 which = 30.86

EDIT: got it, it still does 11% (took me 10 tries)

Initial Power: 1240.54
Growth Rate: 30.86
4725 MPH: 101.912%

That places it in 30th rank, behind Yoshi's Fair
HAHA! Eat that mario! Second banana my ***!

Also, I'm told that luigi's dtilt can spike. Though I've never tried it myself, and I don't see much practicality in it. Dtilt is for shoryuken.

K 2

Smash Lord
Very, Very Nice! Finally Reliable Quantitive Data that Accurately Measures Spiking Power. Good Job!

DraKmoN001

Smash Apprentice
If it's not too much trouble could you include the foot stool spike as well? <_<

Also I didn't know that ZSS's dB could spike. How does that work? Or would you prefer that I look up that information on the ZSS board?

In any case thanks for these statistics, now if only Ganon could easily toss someone off into a quick dair =P

Top Bottom