• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fast Falling After Aerials

Karmie

Smash Cadet
Hi, I just quit tap jump due to the benefits i've seen without having it and using X/Y and I have an important question:

Usually in brawl videos or when I watch my friends play, I see them constantly fast falling after they perform an aerial or an empty short hop, and they all use x/y.

I was wondering, what's the reason behind this? Isn't there lag when you fast fall to the ground?

Thank in advance~

kr3wman

Smash Master
It depends on the attack and the fact that lingering into the air is sometimes punishable for some characters against others.

It really depends on what you want to follow it up with and how you think your opponent will react to it.

For example, I might Fastfall Ike's Neutral air attack to follow it up with his Jab combo for more damage, or fastfall his Fair because it has a good amount of lag in the air after its animation finished, which will allow me to react faster to the opponent's movement if I miss or hit with it.

paulleh

Smash Apprentice
not really.. its just depends on what move you're using and the situation your in. some moves don't lag when you fast fall which can help you to string combo's together.

I think kr3wman answered most of your question though.

Browny

Smash Hater
utilt spam is so much easier. and nothing is more infuriating than playing someone like snake, going for a utilt kill only to accidentally sh uair, get punished horribly and miss an easy KO

Tenki

Smash Hero
What benefits do you get from turning tap jump off?
You can double stick DI without wasting jumps; for some characters, U-tilt easier, and for others, lets you use certain up-B moves without wasting double jumps (so if you get interrupted by your opponents, you'll still be able to make it back); you can DI upwards while going back to the stage without wasting double jump

J4pu

Smash Champion
What benefits do you get from turning tap jump off?
It sounded more like he meant he doesn't use tap jump as his primary source of jumping anymore, rather he uses X and Y

No it doesn't.

Not at all.

Anyway, does fastfalling add to an aerial's ending lag?
What I heard a while back was that a soft landing caused 2 frames of landing lag and a hard landing caused 4 frames
the speed difference necessary was never explained from what i remember, so I'm going off the assumption that a hard landing is encountered when you hit the ground at your FF speed, and anything slower is a soft landing.
the first part I heard elsewhere and don't remember if there was much/any proof behind it, and the 2nd part is merely assumptions I made on my own that seem like they could fit.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
You are still vulnerable when you fast fall and air dodge into the ground and shield. There are several frames when you land before your shield will actually come up, I love taking advantage of that.

But as to how it affects ending lag, it depends entirely on the aerial and at what stage you are at during the aerial. Some aerials have really long ending animations in the air as well, so the lag you get from landing could be less than if you were to let it finish in the air so its safer that way.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Tap jump = bad. Turn it off in your control scheme and you will be able to do a number of things which you just can't input or can't input easily with it on.

Keep in mind that you can fast fall WHILE doing most aireals. I do lots of Nair-Fastfall-land before Nair is over as Link. Probably too much, actually, but it IS pretty safe.

Also, fast falling causes the default landing animation to take longer. This applies to the animation from landing from an airdodge but NOT the special animations from landing during an aerial attack. It's not much longer, but it is noticeable.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Eh, what I meant was if you fastfall you get some lag, but if you air dodge while fast falling you get 0 lag.
It's not 0 lag, but it is less lag than a fast fall. If you try doing that on Lucas's up smash, or any other attack that has a continuous hitbox, you'll just get hit upon landing.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Tap jump = bad. Turn it off in your control scheme and you will be able to do a number of things which you just can't input or can't input easily with it on.

Keep in mind that you can fast fall WHILE doing most aireals. I do lots of Nair-Fastfall-land before Nair is over as Link. Probably too much, actually, but it IS pretty safe.

Also, fast falling causes the default landing animation to take longer. This applies to the animation from landing from an airdodge but NOT the special animations from landing during an aerial attack. It's not much longer, but it is noticeable.
The top part is false. if you're someone like Marth who's up b out of shield is imperative to your game, tap jump on is too good

Top Bottom