• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up discussion #31: Yoshi

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
We're getting near the end guys! This time we're doing Yoshi

Yoshi is....heavy. He's hard to finish so keep your dmsash fresh. Yoshi on the other hand has KO issues himself and Wolf is not easily KOed to begin with. This makes the entire match an uphill battle for Yoshi since has can't make use of his biggest strenght - his Release CG. All of Wolfs attributes match those of Yoshi - aerial mobility, half camp / halp offense game, or beat them - range, speed, priority. Wolf does indeed have the advantage here but you shouldn't underrate Yoshi, especially his grab game and his aerials. If you fight him in the air correctly, there's little he can do. Yoshi has some kind of a "dead spot" right in front of him. Spaced bairs are hard to beat for him so make good use of them! Other than that, there's not much alse to do than your standard tactics and moves...

60:40 Wolfs favour

Discuss

Mmac

Smash Lord
It's easily 6:4 Wolf's favour. The Blaster alone just drives me insane! I have to be really careful approaching him, but usually that effort is wasted when I get nailed by an Fsmash. It's very easy for Wolf to maintain a defencive position in this matchup. Bair and Jabs are also equally annoying.

However you also have to be careful against Yoshi. Pivots, While he doesn't have any reasonable options on release, Can still do a great job at stopping approaches if you go offencive. he can still Chase with Dthrow effectively,so it can possibly lead into worse things. He can still match well in the air, and can be very dangerous if you give him momentum. Egg's outrange the blaster, but that doesn't account to much. Short Hop Eggs however can be a great Anti-Spam setup.

I think what Stands out most is Yoshi's Edgeguarding. Dair alone can cause you problems as it can put you in an awkward position if you use your UpB. Also Dair completely protects Yoshi from SideB, and sometimes, it Cancels out the SideB also! Nair I think beats out SideB also. One last thing, if you get grabbed on the edge, you are simply dead, as he has a Spike on Release just like Falco and the others. Realistically, it shouldn't happen often, but is something you should look out for. If only we could Chaingrab Wolf :crying:

Simply put, this matchup is just plain annoying! >_<. But it is very winnable if Yoshi gains control of the match, or gets a rare grab on the ledge.

D

Deleted member

yoshi also cant punish fsmash out of shield like most characters. =(

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
well yoshi kinda has a cg, at lower % string 2 forward grabs and the slide should take u to the edge. if u can gimp well its should make it ezer but wolf ground games owns yoshi. if yoshi can get wolf off the edge u can u nair to gimp side b and dair to gimp up (i think)

Mmac

Smash Lord
well yoshi kinda has a cg, at lower % string 2 forward grabs and the slide should take u to the edge. if u can gimp well its should make it ezer but wolf ground games owns yoshi. if yoshi can get wolf off the edge u can u nair to gimp side b and dair to gimp up (i think)
Fthrow doesn't work on Wolf I believe.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
I WOULD say that it's 65:35 in Wolf's favor, but the chaingrab changes it to 6:4. Either way, the mammals beat the reptiles.

jehonaker

Smash Cadet
I agree... Wolf wins the match-up, 60:40.

Without the chaingrab, Yoshi really has only his backwards aerial and downwards aerials to use to approach or build damage safely. Reflector can block egg throw, easily, and the simple fact is that Wolf has more he can do than Yoshi. Wolf has no problems laser camping (though Egg Throw can nail Wolf during his firing animation), and he has a better approach.

As for killing...they both have problems, but Wolf narrowly does it better. Yoshi has more killers (upwards aerial, and potentially all three smashes), but Wolf has a better killer (downwards smash and maybe his upwards smash).

If Yoshi can get Wolf off the stage, it goes well for Yoshi (his edgeguarding game is excellent), and Wolf is almost certainly dead. But Yoshi's moves tend not to be condusive to this position, with possibly the exception of his grabs and his smashes.

Bottom line: Wolf beats Yoshi until Wolf gets off the stage. Yoshi can't get Wolf off the stage easily. So, Wolf beats Yoshi.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
um i thought wolf had very bad air mobility while yoshi has the fastest air speed in brawl. i find it that yoshi can juggle wolf kinda ez, all u need is mindgamez and options cause yoshi has some different jugglin options that some other yoshi's ignor

@jehonaker it depends what stage because i fint it alot easier to battle wol on battlefield then fd. because its small and yoshi jabs, eggs, dtilt can lead to his sliding grab to a forward throw and wolf is off the stage.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Yoshi's usmash has invincibility frames on his head, for some reason. He's not too powerful in the front (aerially, fair is fairly (pun seriously not intended) easy to see coming) and a lot of his attacks can be disrupted with shine. Footstool him, just for lulz.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Wow, I really can't comment on this one. I have never played a Yoshi in-person, I have absolutely no clue about the character's spacing compared to Wolf's moveset, killing options, nothing X_X

All I know is that his Bair *****, don't get hit by Fsmash, he has a chaingrab on MK, Down Air does a lot of damage, eggs are annoying and can be used to recover, and the neutral B off stage is an excellent gimp.

Hmmm... I should check this character out more....

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Yoshi sucks. 'Nuff said :p

By the way, how come some of Wolf's better match ups, like Olimar and Lucas, are only 60:40 in Wolf's favor? I just figured they'd be higher.
Don't worry about these match-up's. We're going to re-discuss some of them later, if we need to. The Marth match.up for example is generally considered neutral so changes are possible everytime. Once we're done with every characters, we'll come back later to older ones.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Doesn't chain grabbing Wolf require ridiculously strict timing? I heard Wolf is the first or second hardest character for him to chaingrab. Is there even a Yoshi in the country that can consistently do it in tournament?

Yoshi sucks. 'Nuff said :p

By the way, how come some of Wolf's better match ups, like Olimar and Lucas, are only 60:40 in Wolf's favor? I just figured they'd be higher.
You should add your thoughts to those respective matchup threads.

um i thought wolf had very bad air mobility while yoshi has the fastest air speed in brawl.
No, Wolf is the 4th fastest in the air, actually. He's also a fast faller. So, you're wrong about him having very bad air mobility.

alejo_

Smash Rookie
Without a doubt 60:40 for wolf. Once wolf takes the fight into the air he should have his way with yoshi.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
i personally think yoshi's air game > wolf's air game (edit i didnt mean like alot but alittle in my opinon)

im open to disscusion about this cause i dont know much about wolf air game

i did not no he has the 4th fastest thanx for tellin me, it just wolf doesnt seem to move at all after he is in a helpless state.

we should do some brawls because we all dont have a great understanding of both the chars fighthing

Kookie

Smash Apprentice
Wolf's air game is beastly compared to Yoshi's, imo. His Bair comes out so quickly, and its hitbox is amazing.

60:40, Wolf wins.

Top Bottom