• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up discussion #32: Sonic

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
K, time to do Sonic.

He's fast XD. But he does lack range, KO power and - on many moves - priority. Things Wolf can capitalize on: lack of KO power vs heavy weight = long live; Lack of range = bair spam galore. Wolf can pretty much play his preferred game here, without much trouble. Watch out, Sonic has some mean combos, you should avoid battles from too close range. If he gets close enough Shine counters should help - Shine does overall a good job vs Sonic if you're smart you can counter a lot of his moves.

Sonic has a good edgeguarding game but getting you off the stage shouldn't be easy for him. Also: Sonic is not a leightweight so you may want to keep your dsmash fresh.

I give it a 60:40 in Wolfs favour. Sonic can't do any particular harm vs Wolf or limit his options. Wolf lives longer, can outspace Sonic and hasn't too many tourbles with Sonics speed either...

Discuss

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Wolf definitely does not have a longer lifespan than Sonic.
Just compare the two recoveries. Add that to Sonic's gimp game.

As for getting Wolf off stage, Sonic's d-throw leads into tech chases. once you're at the ledge, a simple d-throw/b-throw should suffice.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
I'm not sure about the outspacing part Considering sonic's speed. I mean, I know you guys have a long ranged F-smash, a long ranged B-air, a blaster, and a reflector, but sonic is really good at spacing. His F-tilt has good range, decent priority, and can shield poke, good for spacing. The hitbox comes out on like, frame 6 or so I believe. He also has a decent grab range and his grab game is pretty good. I agree with the 60-40 though. :O

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
60:40 wolfs favor.

Wolf can just outspace sonic and he doesnt have that hard of a time with sonics speed. I dont really see how sonic has any kind of advantage over wolf or anything that could push this to even or in his favor.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Agreed with CITH.

Also, Blaster doesn't present a problem for Sonic whatsoever. Spinshot is fun.
Spacing against Sonic's pretty difficult, and his punishment game is particularly good. Throw out smashes willy nilly and you'll pay for it.
Wolf has a range advantage on the ground, but Sonic's better in the air IMO, ESPECIALLY offstage where Sonic will be trying to take the fight.
Yes he 'lacks range' but like everyone does next to Wolf lol xD Sonic's ftilt has good range, utilt and fsmash are disjoint, uair is MASSIVELY disjoint (I consistantly hit through all dairs in the game apart from Dededes :\)

Also, Gheb is sexy.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Offstage is sonic's favor, ground is wolf's favor, and the air is more or less neutral. Keep in mind though, wolf has the shine to get out of bad situations and he has better range overall. I'm leaning towards a small advantage for wolf though.

Also, Sonic for Steak tier.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Offstage is sonic's favor, ground is wolf's favor, and the air is more or less neutral. Keep in mind though, wolf has the shine to get out of bad situations and he has better range overall.
This seems pretty accurate, I've only played a handful of Wolves so I'll try my best for input. I also agree with both Cat and ROOOY in their posts.
Sonic's gimp game>>>Wolf's recovery
Everyone knows Wolf's recovery is bad, but Sonic is a gimp machine. His recovery allows him to go extremely far from the stage (for a short amount of time that is) and safeley return to the stage. Although Sonic can't really stay out long, he doesn't need to. A good Sonic will capatilize on his offstage ability and will get himself where he needs to be to get the job done (Sonic is a precision based character). This is enough to give him an edge in this battle.
QFT

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Correct.
Also bear in mind that Sonic has invincibilty frames up to full hop height with his spring if he's caught in any bad situations too.
This match has a lot to do with the Wolf not making mistakes.
As for the comment earlier about Sonic not being able to limit Wolf's gameplay, I'd have to disagree. Wolf works well with characters at mid-long range, using the blaster to damage the opponent while approaching. With several different safe approach methods, I see no reason as to why Sonic would take any damage from it at all.
It's at mid range that Wolf works the best, keeping the enemies on their toes incase they're attaked withone of Wolf's longer ranged ground moves. This is pretty effective against Sonic, because other than ftilt and stutterstepped fsmash Sonic doesn't really have any moves to match that range.
However, with Sonic's speed, he doesn't need to stay at this range for long. He closes the gap fast, and gets in his face where I feel Sonic at least matches Wolf. Whilst Sonic's attacks aren't the fastest, they will still mostly outspeed Wolf's. Also, due to Wolf's fast falling, it makes Sonic's dtilt follow up game more potent. For example, if Wolf was at 0% :

-Dtilt => dtilt => grab > one pummel => uthrow

Would be pretty hard to escape, as the dtilt sets up nicely to be comboed into. That's 27% right there, and you could follow Wolf into the air for extra damage.

I only think Wolf has a really small advantage really. I give this match a 55:45 in Wolf's favour. I've never lost to a Wolf myself, but I can understand where Wolf has this advantage.

Browny

Smash Hater
eh wolf is annoying. i can beat my brothers wolf maybe 1/3 of the time. i agree though that wolf wont be living longer on average than sonic, however still not enough to make it better than 40:60 or worse imo. Its just so difficult to get used to avoiding his ftilt lol. its not hard to shield it, but in the few frames after it hits you, remembering to spotdodge Oos instead of jabbing or something is really hard to remember

SonicX580

Smash Lord
To put it simple wolf is not as fast as fox or falco and you can dodge wolf's flash and then counter attack, plus do you close combat and mix it up with throws spin dashes ex. then put wolf out of the stage and mess up with his recovery until wolf is ko'd.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
I think Sonic has an advantage to Wolf because wolf is not as fast as fox or falco and for some weird reason wolf has one of lowest attack power in the game and compared to the other star fox fighters his power is low but I do admit wolf has some skill with his ablity to dair but all you got to do is dodge it then stick to wolf in close combat and if wolf use's wolf flash dodge it and take advantage of the opportunity personally I get wolf of the edge with one of my throws and then keep interupting is recovery until wolf has enough damage to ko him or he makes a mistake with his recovery move all doesn't recover to the stage plus Sonic has a better recovery than wolf and that's why I think Sonic has a advantage over wolf.
I am sorry but you fail.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
you could'Ve just made more than one sentence by using special "signs". You know like: . or ,

They are useful. They help you to make a sentence more understandable ;)

Top Bottom