• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G&W Discussion: Edgeguarding on and offstage

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Intro

Okay, quick introduction. I haven't been happy with the G&W forums as of late, so I wanted to stir up some conversation about our favorite 2D man. There are going to be a few more of these, but I wanted to start off with something useful to new users and old! Edgeguarding is one of G&W's greatest strengths, so I wanted to help people get ameliorated with his moves. Here are some quick descriptions of moves I thought of to be the most useful (Sans the Side B) to use to hurt your opponent recovering. I left out a few goodies, but you can obviously mention them for me. Nair gets honorable mention for doing 17%, Ftilt is a great Horizontal knocking back move, and Chef doesn't have to be used only onstage, FOR EXAMPLE. So discuss his moves and things you like to do with G&W.

Uair should probably not be used offstage. Period. <___________>

Here's what I got.

Onstage Edgeguarding

-Neutral B, Chef-

Probably G&W's most useful tool in edgeguarding a foe recovering from being knocked offstage, Chef is great at interrupting foe's jumps and straight forward recoveries, like Falco's Phantasm. Ideally, you want to use this at around the same distance you would want to be using Dtilt at the edge; Roughly a bowser length away, but as long as most of the projectiles are arching over the edge and you aren't *that* close to the edge, you should be good. Use this on opponents who are close enough to try and DI onto the stage or DI towards the ledge. Going for the stage or ledge will result in them eating a few foodstuffs, which then can be led into a Fair/Nair/Judgement/etc. You can also stop doing it a bit early as the food is arching to give yourself a bit more freedom.​

-Dtilt-

Dtilt is also a very good tool to edgeguard with. It may not be the beast it was in melee, but it's great atsending your foe back off the stage and hitting them as they hang on or come over the ledge. Due to it's 0 Frames of cool down, it makes it very easy to work into another move or action, and you can quickly Dsmash a foe who ends up rolling behind you. Like mentioned a bit above, the best place to use this is about a bowser's distance away.​

-Dash Attack-

The Dash Attack is fairly decent at dealing with foes on the ledge. With it's Freeze Frames, and enormous priority, it's a truly formidable move to use. You'll have to be smart about it's usage, though, since you have to commit yourself when you use it. Probably the best part of the Dash Attack is that it stage spikes opponents. Lylat, BF, FD, PS1, etc are all decent stages to use it on. You can stage spike a Metaknight in the middle of his Shuttle Loop as well.​

-Fsmash/Dsmash/Usmash-

Everyone and their mothers know how powerful G&W's smashes are, so it's only common sense to include them in your on stage edgeguarding game! All of them have Iasa frames, allowing you to switch actions if you predicted wrong. Dsmash is especially useful for opponents who roll over the ledge, and can otherwise, assuming it's sour spotted, send your opponent far off stage. Fsmash can hit many opponents as they attack over the ledge and is especially deadly that close to the blast zone. Usmash gets a mention because it's so **** strong :p

Offstage Edgeguarding

-Fair-

Fair. The Box. An invaluable tool in any G&W's arsenal. Not too useful on stage due to it's tremendous landing lag when short hopped, the Fair is quite good off stage where landing lag is a non-issue. The hurtbox sends foes far horizontally, and is very good at picking off foes near the blast zone. There is also another, lesser identified, use for the Fair; Using the Sex-Kick/Weak part of the attack to gimp. It's very good. I have a few replays where I do this to a Marth & Diddy which puts them too far away to recovery, where G&W comfortably comes back and grabs the edge.​

-Dair-

Another VERY useful tool for G&W. While it seems dangerous to use this offstage, it's actually a great way to beat vertical based recoveries. A2ZOMG brought this tactic to my attention, and I have been using it a deal more; Slow fall the key by pressing down on the analog stick/C-Stick and punish your foes trying to get back from below. It's great, it really is. Other than slowfalling, the key can also spike, if you can pull it off.​

-Bair-

Ahahaha, the Turtle seems to be good at EVERYTHING. It lingers through airdodges offstage, deals a great bit of damage, and sends your foe far horizontally at the end of it. It can even kill near the blastzone. Heh :p

-UpB, Fireman-

The parachute is ferocious of the edge, both it recovery and in hitting your opponent away. Allowing your opponent to grab the edge first to then stage spike them as you grab on is priceless. The parachute can also be used in a surprising manner near blastzones, by poppong them with it, and there killing them. You then use the parachute to glide back. Very few opponents suspect this.​

-Side B, Judgment-

I just HAD to include this, though it's by no means his best option, though it might have some merit being linked into from a Chef. You can use this on a foe after a predicted airdodge or one who can't airdodge + live at the same time, or maybe surprise a foe completely. Both 6's and 9's are great, but you obviously wont always get one of those two. The other hammers, minus 8 and 1 have decent gimping potential. Iunno, try your luck, but preferably not in a serious match!​

Now Discuss!

Neb

Smash Lord
><!
Your awesome.
I've started to use Slow Falled Dairs, and its an awesome gimp.
But anyway, I'll brain storm some ideas, and get back to you later.

For starters, uair can be used offstage as a trap.
If you have a character with a vertical recovery, you can cannon them upward, and take advantage of the helpless animation to either push them horizontally with upb for an SD, or set them up for powerful smashes as they DI back onto the stage. Uair's also good for chancing a Star KO, juggling, or refreshing your moveset.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Ahahaha, thanks a ton Neb! As I started this an hour or so ago and rushed it, I can't say I'm pleased with the raw information presented in this. Formatting this took a bit of my time and I rushed the rest. The Intro is probably the most rushed :p

I was hoping that others would come in and post their thoughts, that way I would be excused for my limited coverage.

I'm especially looking forward for A2ZOMG's post on slow falled Dair, if he does make one.

Neb

Smash Lord
lol, I like the images, so far so good, :).
Anywho, so if I'm reading this correctly, the threads for discussion about G&W in general, with a set topic? And if so, is it weekly, or just until said discussions die? Nice idea, though.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Just until the discussion dies!
Also nice trick, I havent done that in a while. Just most times using Uair seems counter-productive. :p
I'm off to bed now, I hope I get some nice replys in the morning!

RyN

Smash Apprentice
Uair is actually good for refreshing your moves that have suffered diminishing returns. 3 uairs in a row and a 1/3 has returned. Just make sure the puffs hit and you gain it.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
RyN, the discussion is Edgeguarding, not in general. Uair is amazing in general, but giving your opponent a boost when they are recovering is usually bad. Sheesh man. :(

RyN

Smash Apprentice
Bad? How can it possibly be bad? It completely messed up their timings and gives you plenty of time to set up for something else. It's also a safe bet just in case you aren't prepared for one of their aerials coming down. It stops fast falls in its tracks. It's a solid move, give it some credit.

You can also use it for edgeguarding, puff them into a stage spike.

Neb

Smash Lord
RyN, the discussion is Edgeguarding, not in general. Uair is amazing in general, but giving your opponent a boost when they are recovering is usually bad. Sheesh man. :(
I was just about to say the same thing, xD.

@Ryn
And you can't stage spike with uair, unless your using the actual hitbox at high percentages, which is still very unlikely.
Stage spiking with Upb is a much better/safer route.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
What are you talking about? YES, it is a solid move, but this is purely about edgeguarding. I clearly stated that it's usually bad when edgeguarding, because it is; G&W has better options by far. It stops fast fall in it's tracks? How is this relevant to a recovering opponent? Messing up their timing on what? It gives them an easier time on recovering, so it doesn't "mess" them up.In case you arent prepared for an aerial? Again, whats the relevancy?

Puffing into a stage spike isn't something that should ever happen more than once, ever.

I'm sorry, but please, I spent a deal of time on this thread so don't come in talking about stuff that doesn't relate to the topic. Neb's trick is actually a good suggestion on characters like Fox&Falco, so I appreciate his input. You're stuff, not so much.

>__>

cutter

Smash Champion
I definately agree; Fair's sex kick can be great to stop the momentum of a character... it can gimp if used correctly :)

Dtilt is also pretty ok at discouraging some ledge camping (notice I said SOME)

Neb

Smash Lord
Spamming greenhouse at the edge can screw with some characters like Luigi, Fox, Falco, Wolf, etc. Since their return options are out-priorized, or include their hurtbox.

RyN

Smash Apprentice
How does the Greenhouse do against the side B of the space animals? Never attempted it but I'm pretty sure it doesn't turn out well for Mr. Game and Watch.

Neb

Smash Lord
How does the Greenhouse do against the side B of the space animals? Never attempted it but I'm pretty sure it doesn't turn out well for Mr. Game and Watch.
It wins out. Its hard for them to get vertical again, then up and over G&W, but even if they succeed, its easy punishment.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Y'know what's really awesome about G&W's edgeguarding? He is able to cover so much area in so little time, that EVEN IF an opponent does make it back, HE CAN STILL PUNISH THEM. Usually with his Up-B as he returns to the stage, but a hit is better than nothing.

Oh yeah, and try to jump off the stage backwards before doing a D-air edgeguard so you can go for the stagespike.

Another unorthodox tactic I want to look into is using the Up-B or U-air to edgeguard on stages with few platforms (not vs characters like Snake or G&W so much though, and this probably won't work on MK, sorry). In a number of matches I had recently, I've accidentally Up-Bed and the wind effect launched my opponent's recovery way up, made them miss the ledge, and go into free fall, which of course meant I had an opportunity to punish with other attacks on stage. I'm not sure if it's practical honestly, but it sounds like it's worth a shot as a surprise if it can be done deliberately.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Uair is very useful for edgeguarding in certain situations. Only against certain characters though.

Some uses for Uair when edgeguarding:

Against falco if you ever see him charging up-B you can run off and jump back with an Uair. Falco will fly really high during his up-B and free fall which is a free anything for GW. You can keep uairing him or hit him with a smash. This is also possible on his phantasm, but harder and works on Fox as well.

Against Ness and Lucas you can run off and uair right when they up B and they usually won't be able to catch themselves and just fall to their doom. Also, if they already hit themselves you can still just uair them and they will fly high like falco allowing punishment.

Against MK if you are hanging on the ledge while they are recovering from below or horizontally you can drop straight down and uair. This can intercept thier up-B and send them super super high and if you are quick you can continue uairing them to make them go out of thier glide animation.

Saying that you should never use Uair off the stage will never let you discover how it's useful. Use all your moves in all situations, You learn new tactics by doing things that don't work. Then you apply everything you have learned and know will work in tournament to be consistant.

RyN

Smash Apprentice
Uair is very useful for edgeguarding in certain situations. Only against certain characters though.

Some uses for Uair when edgeguarding:

Against falco if you ever see him charging up-B you can run off and jump back with an Uair. Falco will fly really high during his up-B and free fall which is a free anything for GW. You can keep uairing him or hit him with a smash. This is also possible on his phantasm, but harder and works on Fox as well.

Against Ness and Lucas you can run off and uair right when they up B and they usually won't be able to catch themselves and just fall to their doom. Also, if they already hit themselves you can still just uair them and they will fly high like falco allowing punishment.

Against MK if you are hanging on the ledge while they are recovering from below or horizontally you can drop straight down and uair. This can intercept thier up-B and send them super super high and if you are quick you can continue uairing them to make them go out of thier glide animation.

Saying that you should never use Uair off the stage will never let you discover how it's useful. Use all your moves in all situations, You learn new tactics by doing things that don't work. Then you apply everything you have learned and know will work in tournament to be consistant.
Thank you for the support

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
How exactly does that work?
Well, you don't force them out of it, but if they wan't to stop going forward they are going to have to get out of their glide animation. If they go down you just uair them. It's really funny to watch lol.

LouBega

Smash Journeyman
one of my favorite things to do is bairing someone who's off the stage and then upb-ing them after they pop up. it works pretty well and kills them if they're close enough to the blast zone.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Why not just bucket them? As long as you time the bucket correctly, the lag shouldn't hurt your recovery at all. Of course the bucket is only useful against Ness and Lucas. I don't see any reason why not to, but that's just me. You could probably convince me otherwise, Hylian! I thought your other tips about uair were very thought-provoking.

My favourite on-stage edgeguarding move has to be the dtilt. When your opponent keeps trying to get back up, the dtilt hitbox just knocks them back out, until they finally decide they can be clever and roll behind you from the ledge. In this instance, just dsmash and punish your opponent for thinking they are smart. However I only use this as a safe edgeguarding option against characters like MK, since they are a threat in the air (not saying that we can't match his air game).

Off-stage the fair or slow-falled dair sends the opponent back out nicely. I like your idea of using judgement as an edgeguarding move Mr Esc. Sometimes when recovering and my opponent tries to edgeguard me I throw out a judgement and get a 9! It's really funny because my opponent thought he was just about to KO me, and suddenly I turn the tables around and completely demoralise him, even though it was a fluke (sorry about going off-topic).

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
There is nothing wrong with bucketing.

Just throwing out another option.

Edit:

Also, if they are really high it's hard to bucket them but you can still uair them.

The Reverend 814

Smash Apprentice
My personal fav. offstage edge guard is the almighty pan spike. Against people with poop recoveries there is nothing more debilitating than getting hit by the pan and knocked out of your recovery range while I sit on the ledge ringing for days.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Running off the stage with a fastfalled Fair can work well.

If your opponent is below the level of the stage but not right below you (he'd have to be a little ways away from the stage), then it can be a useful. I don't think it should be used all the time, more like here and there as for a surprise KO.

This is fairly situation, but I've found it useful against ROB when he recovers low.

K 2

Smash Lord
I think panspiking and bucketing ness's/lucus's recovery are my two favorite ways to edgeguard people.

Doesn't the lylat trio ahve invinciblity frames during their side be? Wouldn't that make them invulernable to judgement?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Good topic!

What stages do you guys think are the best for GaW's ledgeguarding game?

Characters with crappy recoveries could be taken there, for example. Rainbow Cruise comes to mind, this edgeguarding would go well with the difficult to traverse stage.

Also, what about edgeguarding in doubles? I feel like the aerial approach to it is stronger, as the other enemy won't come and inturrupt you.

Lastly, what characters are better to edgeguard onstage? What characters are better to go out against? What characters are entirely situation dependant.

Discuuus!

Neb

Smash Lord
|Stages Best for Camping (IMO)

Pokemon Stadium 1
This is a fine stage for G&W's ledge camp to really show-out because if he sets camp on the left wing of the stage, he gets automatic terrain benefits and natural coverage.

Fire Type
The fire turf unfolds two platforms, one being the actual charring house, and the other the remains of a tree. The left wing affords G&W a protective fort, the tree being an actual part of the stage cuts off forward and belly approaching, leaving only the above. This is where G&W can capitalize on his aerials, if he needs room, he can vertically space with uair, and if they land on the platform, nair is great as a poke. You want to completely defend the above, making it difficult for them to punish you. If they get too close, you can retreat to the ledge.

Or if they decide to squeeze between the tree branches and squeeze and attack from their, your aerials can poke them from the outside. Crouching also makes it nearly impossible for any hitbox to extend out to you. The tree will also be a barrier to projectiles.

Water Type
The centerpiece of this stage is the waterwheel, if foes want to approach, they have to avoid the pinwheel, which makes temporary room for you too counter. The wheel will also push idle foes forward toward the ledge you are hiding under, making it challenging for them to space.
If they advance from above, you have the wings of the waterwheel to attack from under.

Rock Type
With the rock region, you have two options- camp by the ledge, or on the stage.
The two area's are 1) the left wing and 2) At the base of the boulder, on the right side.

On the ledge, you have a small block of room for one character, good thing your camping alone. Foes are forced to approach from above where they will have to challenge your aerials, if they go anywhere else but down, you instantly set them up for edge-guarding. They'll be hard pressed trying to return with you waiting for them and defending that tiny spot.

At the cliffs base, below all the platforms, you have an infinite, maybe two- dtilt and jab. So if they gamble squeezing in the tent with you, they're asking for free damage. As usual, the top is blocked with your aerials, the exposed right side is perfect for dtilt. Upb if your pressured.

Grass Type
Nothing out of the ordinary. Typical ledge camp.

Best On?
Universal.

Green Greens
This map is descent for camping also, you have six ledges to choose from that you can swap between at any point in time, this makes running for your opponent difficult. You can actually make it under the middle section to either side with your double jump, Upb, and some good DI. The exploding blocks have been nerfed, so Upb'ing through them will leave you unscathed. Also, the wind from Wispy Woods can tug your foe into your ledge camp.

Best On?
Characters with bad aerials, and recoveries.

Jungle Japes
This stage works just like Green Greens, six ledges, etc. But the map introduces a current, and a crocodile that instant-spikes on contact, this can work good and bad for you, use your invincibility frames smartly and you'll have nothing to worry about. Traveling from left and right wings from below on this stage is only possible if you ride the river from the right side. Attack from below the thin platforms.

Best On?
Characters with vertical recoveries, and with bad aerials.

Distant Planet
There are two good edges, the left is mediocre for stinging through the main platform, and since its on a slope, you can really punish enemy mistakes. The rain will effect your stay there, that's why you can transition to the second ledge on the upper right. Sneaking hits from from the main platforms belly, etc. The only bad part is the fat *** bulborb that waddles over to the tip of the ledge for dinner and a movie. This temporarily prohibits verticle approaches, but it only last so long before the creature turns on you, CHOMP. When he opens his mouth, a third ledge is opened, camp on his lower lip for a trip through his slimy digestive system, :).

Best on?
Errr, >>.

|Other good stages that are pretty self explanatory.
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Yoshi's Island Melee (On the Pipe Ledge/Center)
  • Yoshi's Island Brawl
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Pirate Ship (Water Camping)

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Why do you say that Japes is best on characters with horizontal recoveries? The fact that the stage is so close to the water keeps characters with vertical recoveries from recovering low. It doesn't really limit a horizontal recovery, since those characters can't recover from too low anyways.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Why do you say that Japes is best on characters with horizontal recoveries? The fact that the stage is so close to the water keeps characters with vertical recoveries from recovering low. It doesn't really limit a horizontal recovery, since those characters can't recover from too low anyways.
Characters like Toon Link prefer to recover from beneath the stage, because that is safer. But on Jungle Japes that is impossible, so it's harder to recover. G&W might not have this problem because he can do an aerials from his up-b.

Top Bottom