• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Peach

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Solved before I made the thread :urg:

They're getting better at this.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Peach seems destined for mediocrity.

She's got a lot of nerfs.

Downsmash is no longer a major damage dealer, but it still performs the same "get out of my space" function...but without CCing there's not much point when she has better damage dealing options.

Glide tossing is nifty, but the fact that turnips disappear rather than bouncing off of shields is dumb. You can't do turnip traps off of shields anymore, which hurts her pressure game...not that you really want to pressure most character's shield in the first place.

Nair out of shield is still pretty good, but the new lag on parasol plus the inability to drag people down into up/down smashes makes it a dumb option.

Her double jump is so pointless, but now she can bomber like diddy's flip kick to get horizontal movement when recovering...which is kind of a moot point with her float; there's no wallbombing, but you can grab edges with it which is kind of nifty. You can't do cool launcher tricks off of brinstar/corneria, which makes me sad.

Fair is by far her best killing move, followed by up and forward smashes. Bair and nair can also be used as kill moves at higher percents, as well as up tilt...fthrow cannot. There's no more nair setups via dair, and the new nature of recoveries makesit hard to edgeguard with dair/dtilt.

Downtilt's usefulness as a spacer/counterattack has been totally destroyed due to the lack of hitstun/airdodge; you might be able to get in an fsmash if you're lucky. I think the range of it as well as her lean back has been decreased as well.

Kel

Smash Master
I love playing Peach. She has a lot of technical abilities that involve shield pressuring your opponent, which is rare in Brawl. Her main problem is killing. I like using her Fair for shield pressuring and spacing, so it's usually weak by the time I'm looking for a kill. Peach's best kill move is actually her Usmash tippered, but it's nearly impossible to connect with it.

Peach has Dthrow chain grabs on most of the cast at early percent and can typically combo to 40%+ out of an early grab or hit. Her low knock back is great for early percent combos, but the mid percents get annoying because you have to get your opponent to killing range (180% or so haha)

Peach has a couple movement tricks that aren't really helpful, but fun to see. You can float and cancel it really quick toward the ground to get a wavedashing type movement, but you don't go very far with it. Instead, I usually float and cancel a bair really close to the ground to get a wavedashing backward effect. It's often useful to do the Bair wavedash back thing and then to follow up with a dash attack (since it has a million hitboxes).

Oh! If you pull a beam sword remember to reset it by throwing it and catching it, or TAUNTING or else you'll get the nerfed version of its usage. Also, bombs explode over time when held now :(. LAAAAAAAME.

Dsmash can still suck people in for a lot of damage if they're hit from above, so use plats like smashville to lure your opponent in toward you and dsmash them.

Dash away + over B really quick is the best mindgame ever and works 95% of the time. WHO SAID IT DOESN'T?! <.< >.>

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I absolutely love Peach. If Peach were not like this in Brawl, I probably would not even be here. She makes the game fun with her playstyle.

First of all, Peach is an extremely varied character. In some matchups, like Falco, she will be mostly on the ground. In some matchups, like with Snake, she will be all in the air. Sometimes she is extremely defensive (King DDD) sometimes she is extremely aggressive (Diddy). There is no one way to play her, Peach players have extremely, radically different styles from one another.

I echo what Kel said that Peach has some shield pressure game, which makes her very special. For people that are not used to her down air, a move that cannot be DI'd very effectively, they will find that shielding much against her is not a very good idea. A lot of her moves string together pretty effectively if you understand their ranges and where they send people.

What most people don't understand about Peach is that her priority is even more ridiculous in the air than it was in Melee. A back air will trade hits with Marth's fair. It's so disjointed it often even breaks through tornado, something I've noticed of just recently and will be experimenting with. Her float is acutally even more of an advantage for spacing than it was before due to the absense of wavedashing and peoples inability to stop while running.

Peach doesn't suffer to any infinite or release grab combos. Nobody in the game has a single release grab combo on her. Falco can't chain grab her, DDD can but she's pretty tough to chain grab. She can actually side step or jab out if the DDD doesn't have frame perfect timing. Even if he does I believe you can jab and do damage while you get grabbed.

Peach has a heck of a hard time killing many characters, this is her biggest flaw. F-air is QUITE strong undecayed, but it is such a good move that not using it is extremely difficult and makes her much worse of a character. That things got range.Other moves that may kill at high percents (over 140, 150) are back air, neutral air, forward tilt and up air. However these require on some part bad DI, fully fresh and sweetspots to kill any earlier. Peach can rack up damage very well though. She cannot gimp anybody except the people everyone can gimp (Olimar, etc)

Peach is the beneficiary of a high degree of the novelty effect. Not many people use her at a high level, and not many will ever will, so people will never really understand the match up unless they play a good Peach on a consistent basis. It becomes much MUCH more difficult when they understand her. The surprise factor will continually help her place better than she actually is as a character, even more so than other characters because she is that different to fight again, just like Melee.

What most people don't seem to understand is just how strong her upsmash is. It's got a pretty strong sweetspot at the tip of her hands that will kill most people at 100% even if they DI, yes. But, if you manage a shoulder pad sweetspot, you can kill DI'ing players with a sweetspot that is even stronger than Fox's upsmash. It's just really hard to land, but it can be landed with mind games.

Peach bomber is best used sparingly and can lead into several follow ups, but its best used as a recovery option, and when used far from the stage really makes tracking her recovery tricky.

She is still very floaty and mid weight, the combination of these two does make it pretty easy for characters like game and watch to kill her REALLY early. Coupled with her deficiencies in killing, she is a solid/average character when you put it all together with her amazing capabilities of damage building.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
She's quite good in teams when you team with a character that has great killing moves , because she does rack up damage for them so fast. It's my honest opinion that Peach is one of the better teammates for Gdubs because she builds them up to a killable percent for him in just one combo. Her float also allows teammates to spam and abuse projectiles freely. Falco can laser, Sheik can needle, rob can throw the top, and she just floats above it while approaching, and makes the other team have quite a difficult time to approach.

But if her teammate can't kill, the other team is gonna live to 200% regularly. It's even harder to get those kills with her in teams. This makes it very hard to win.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I didn't play peach at all in melee and don't play her at all in Brawl either, so I'm a peach noob.

Incoming noob question:

How viable is it to use Fair liberally throughout the stock, then switch to camp mode for 30-45 seconds to throw turnips and refresh your fair, then switch back to it for kills? I suppose that would depend on the matchup to a huge degree, but is this even a possibility?

D

Deleted member

in a game riddled with horizontal projectile camping and shield camping, float dair is a godsend.

float dair alone probably makes her high tier. if you're not spamming this, I'm confused. it's incredibly hard to punish even if you know it's coming, creates its own combos, and restores power to your other spammable (fair) moves.

peach is also one of the few characters in brawl that doesn't get ***** for being offensive, as well as an amazing DDD counter, something half of the cast is in dire need of.

Peach is amazing in brawl.

edit: buffer things into fsmash. pray for the tennis racket. KOs on no DI (common) @ 80. Amazing surprise factor.

land in nair, it has less lag than a normal landing, with or without any other attacks.

people still try to shield side B as you slide through them, pretty solid recovery option if you dislike the edge.

all of her tilts are really good now. upair not so much.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Peach lost her float cancel so they gave her huge-like-Xbox autocancel windows, lol.

I think it's a fair trade.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
i like how at 0%, you can float double dair into an fair or nair or double jump anything, on virtually the entire cast of characters, instantly giving them like 45% to begin the stock. nice.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Peach's variety in shield pressure options is very scary. Starting from a dair, she can land into slaps to punish shieldgrab, grab to punish slow reaction/continued shielding, or dsmash to shieldpoke for a quick reset; or, continue floating into a nair to punish OOS attempts (except Dragon Punch attacks like Dolphin Slash, Shuttle Loop, Bowser Fortress), fair to HEAVILY WRECK THE SHIELD; float backward into an fsmash; float past for a crossup...

I'm still very disappointed in her second jump being so... tiny. The only use I've found for it is silly ledgestall/ledge-aerial options.

Float gives awesome positioning for edgeguard options, especially considering the power of her nair and bair. And fair, if you're into crownslapping someone from off-stage. Bair is nice, has good priority and nice power, but a weak late hit. Nair has a much better late hit than bair but has less range. Fair is obviously stupidly long ranged because Peach reaches forward for it, but it's also pretty slow and easy to see coming. You could use a lot of bairs and nairs and mix in some fairs to throw off air-dodge timing, though.

I wish fthrow was still a viable KO move.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Peach's double Dair setup on fresh spawns is nice for an immedaite 40+ damage, yes... until you come across someone who remembers that Smash DI exists in this game.

Dthrow chain works well against the chars it does work against, but you really do need to get that grab @ 0% for it to work and decay combo as intended. Peach's grab range is still pretty meh aside from the universally long pivot grabs.

Peach's lack of strong KO moves outside of the impractical Usmash is what really sets her back, since weight differences are so skewed in favor of heavies now. Peach will not KO a good DI'ing heavyweight in any reasonable timeframe before they can do the same to her 50% or more sooner, which makes Snake and DDD among her worst enemies, who also have something of a range advantage on her.

Currently I only use Peach against Olimar and maybe, Diddy Kong. Wario if I'm a strange mood and the stage played is conducive to grab release combos including Usmash.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Synopsis:

Lame, then scary, then mediocre.

Peach is a decent character that will be forever one-upped by the higher tiers. Most of her good stuff is only good if your opponent doesn't SDI properly or is just plain not used to what you do. This said, the number of Peach players is low; it is likely this will generally be in your favor as a Peach player. Peach plays vastly different than most other characters in the game, but appears to be similar; she often is as confusing as playing the Ice Climbers, though your opponent won't think of it that way.

Peach is an excellent pocket character for those that have fallen in love with her. She is a wild card of the utmost degree whose gameplay focuses on using the tried-and-true tactics of good spacing, feints, and shield pressure that can be a frustrating experience for an opponent that just wants to rush in blindly.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Even though they are a bit of a chore to watch, the set of Edrees vs Plank from Axis is a good illustration of Peach's spacing techniques, and I think anyone remotely interested in Peach should watch them. It seems like Peach's fsmash beats tornado if done correctly, and Edrees was pretty good at this.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Btw Ankoku, remember how I said the hint was too easy? I'm pretty sure the first post after I put the hint up guessed it correctly :D

Everything after this post is general discussion.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm disappointed by only two pages...

But overall, I enjoyed the discussion.

BentoBox

Smash Master
So D'oH, being the one with the less Peach experience (from what I could read) called her mediocre and that ended up in OS' synopsis when everybody else pretty much agreed that she could very well stand her own? =/ I would love to see someone SDI out of a Peach d-air combo that easily when she can follow you as she's floating...

Good discussion overall, but I don't feel the synopsis resumed it very well.

But I'm obviously biased so nvm me xD.

edit: Lol, for the longest time, mediocre, to me, had the same connotation as ****ty. Until today. My bad.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
So D'oH, being the one with the less Peach experience (from what I could read) called her mediocre and that ended up in OS' synopsis when everybody else pretty much agreed that she could very well stand her own? =/ I would love to see someone SDI out of a Peach d-air combo that easily when she can follow you as she's floating...

Good discussion overall, but I don't feel the synopsis resumed it very well.
Everyone knows Peach isn't a powerhouse. We do know she has very specific strengths though, and that's what we focused on.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Btw lol, the whole discussion didn't even take a day. Why wait a week to post em up? XD

edit:
Even though they are a bit of a chore to watch, the set of Edrees vs Plank from Axis is a good illustration of Peach's spacing techniques, and I think anyone remotely interested in Peach should watch them. It seems like Peach's fsmash beats tornado if done correctly, and Edrees was pretty good at this.
Where can these matches be found?

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Peach's double Dair setup on fresh spawns is nice for an immedaite 40+ damage, yes... until you come across someone who remembers that Smash DI exists in this game.
There is something to be said for DI-chasing however. You can Nair or Uair or Bair to hit them if they SDI out of the first Dair. Less damage than the massive starting combo from Dair Dair Uair FF Utilt, but still decent starting.

SleeplessInKyoto

Smash Apprentice
I never played Melee so i'm coming into Brawl fresh with no previous Peach experience.

If anything, i enjoy playing Peach because her playstyle is simply fun to play. If you just strip away the tier/matchup talking, underneath you'll find a character that is very unique.

The first thing i enjoyed was the float. Peach has the best horizontal recovery in the game, period. She is an absolute monster in the air and is an extremely annoying edgeguarder/edgehogger. Also the float leads into very fluent combos and it all comes across very smoothly. Float can also be used to play mindgames, tricking your opponent into thinking you're going to attack when you can simply land on the floor and approach from the ground.

The next thing was the turnips. Turnips are like items and can be thrown in any direction, which can lead to some very interesting mindgames. Glide tossing means you can get into a projectile spammer's face sooner rather than later, and turnips can gimp many recoveries. Also, lets not forget the beam sword or the bob-omb....

And lastly, the Toad. I understand that Toad was one of the most useless B moves in Melee but honestly in Brawl it is a lifesaver. Especially against Samus and Metaknight. I dont really understand why a lot of players dont incorporate Toad into their playing style all that much. Peach has the strongest counter in the game and the fact that it doesnt go to much use seems like a bit of a waste.

Overall though, Peach is an excellent player to play with and is a good challenge to get good with.

D

Deleted member

I think Peach is totally amazing. Not only is she one of like 6 characters out of 39 that can attack well (MK peach GAW diddy wario ZSS?) She's also the weirdest to fight. Like MK and GAW she's in the air the whole match canceling aerials to other aerials but her priority is extremely unpredictable.

This character is much better than everyone thinks.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Just to add that one of the best Brawl players in Paris mains Peach. He often places 1rst or 2nd in tournaments and his Peach is... well... very good.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Has Peach gotten nerfed or buffed?
That's irrelevant, you cannot compare two games with different physichs and engine. But if you go by what most people say, then she "got nerfed", some aspects of Melee are less reliable in the "Brawl world" (like gimpyfish said), but at the same time other aspects were buffed (or are more useful this time around).
I see nothing wrong with this Peach anyway, the only thing she REALLY needed was a strong KO move to move up a few spots in the tier list.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
There is something to be said for DI-chasing however. You can Nair or Uair or Bair to hit them if they SDI out of the first Dair. Less damage than the massive starting combo from Dair Dair Uair FF Utilt, but still decent starting.
If they SDI out of the attack, you don't have frame advantage.

Gea

Smash Master
This thread makes me smile. If only her fthrow was as strong as Ness' bthrow. She would be beyond amazing.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The word that immediately leaps to mind when fighting Peach is "whatisthisidonteven". Peach punishes you for playing against her like you would most characters, and it can be really hard to break your own "good habits". I don't encounter Peach players enough to add anything than hasn't already been said otherwise.

I need to play more Peach, she's really fun to fight against. "And now for something completely different..."

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
Might be more active if there was a more specific point to the thread than simply a weekly discussion about the character itself. I main with Peach, and I find her really fun to play with, unlike some characters that seem just so bland to me.

Top Bottom