• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Frame Data

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Well I searched all over the boards for some frame data and this was the closest thing I could find. I apologize if there is some elsewhere.

I really think we need to get some frame data, it is just so useful in knowing when you should be using which move in every situation. Things like knowing when Naryus has invinciblity frames and things like that are invaluable. Now I don't have any means of gathering frame data myself, but if anyone would be willing to compile the info(Villi that means you:)), i'll edit the first post and we can hopefully keep this around.

Just something basic that Ryoko put up a couple months ago that tells which frame each attack comes out on:

The frame data of Zelda's attacks don't vary considerably with her Melee frame data.

By experience, Dsmash, Usmash, Dtilt, Bair, Dash attack, and Nair all generate the fastest possible hitboxes. Dtilt DOES come out fast, and should not be mistaken for otherwise.

Nayru's doesn't hit until well after frame 10 of execution. You are completely invulnerable starting on frame 4(?), lasting until the frame before the attack portion comes out. The invulnerability and the attack don't overlap, as you've probably noticed when hit out of Nayru's while your target only takes 1 damage. While the invulnerability comes out fairly fast, the attack itself does not.

I did some quick tests on my capture device to see the first frame in which an attack will hit.

Dsmash: 4
Usmash: 6
Dtilt: 5
Fair: 8
Bair: 5
Jab: ...11
Ftilt: 12
Dash attack: 6
Fsmash: 16
Standing grab: 12
Dash grab: 11
Utilt: 10
Nair: 6
Uair: 14
Dair: 14
Nayru's: 13

To at least be able to count the first frame at which an attack hits, record video at 60 fps at 1.0x speed, then count the frames. Don't use slower speeds in Training or whatever... the game still animates at 60fps even in slow motion which will lead to inaccuracy.

In short, a lot of you are way off.

D

Deleted member

i always knew the dsmash was her fastest attack lol

good stuff to know btw

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
it's be nice if we had one of those big lists that also told active frames and cooldown :)

not that this isn't useful info!

Lord Yawgmoth

Smash Apprentice
it's be nice if we had one of those big lists that also told active frames and cooldown :)

not that this isn't useful info!
I agree.

also, it would be nice to know:
How many frames it takes for shield to go up (1? seems like more in brawl) does it change between characters?
How many frames it takes to shield drop with a Perfect Shield.
How many frames it takes to shield drop without a Perfect Shield.

Zelda's exact Air-dodge frame information.
Zelda's Side step.
Zelda's Dodge Roll.

anyways, Thanks in advance for any more information. :):bee::)!!!!

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Nayru's doesn't hit until well after frame 10 of execution. You are completely invulnerable starting on frame 4(?), lasting until the frame before the attack portion comes out. The invulnerability and the attack don't overlap, as you've probably noticed when hit out of Nayru's while your target only takes 1 damage. While the invulnerability comes out fairly fast, the attack itself does not.
I KNEW IT. I ****ING KNEW IT.

That explains a lot.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Yes, more info would be great but this is a decent start (I can't really complain since I'm not willing/able to help).

Zelda's jab and grab make me sad though (11 and 12 frames, ouch), but that's nothing new.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I know there is a lot more involved with frame data, like I said this is just something basic that I could find really quick.............i'll try and see if I can get the equipment to get the cooldown times and such.

edit: btw, in case any of you Zelda players haven't figured this out yet, you should almost always use bair over fair. Not only does it come out quicker, I believe it has more range and knockback.

RedSnowman

Smash Apprentice
edit: btw, in case any of you Zelda players haven't figured this out yet, you should almost always use bair over fair. Not only does it come out quicker, I believe it has more range and knockback.
What about sweet spotted?

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
The only innate advantage that fair provides is having more range. Bair has less range.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily neglect it. There's like a 5% difference in KO power between the two kicks. It's not a good idea to make situational aerials become even more situational by only using one. On paper, fair to damage and bair to KO works fine, but really, I take what I get, and that always works for me.

Alopex

Smash Ace
It does have more knockback.

I have no idea about range.

The frame data was news to me. It coming out quicker is a huge plus.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Fair, however, has more of a (no pun intended) "kick" to it. making it a slightly better KO move.

And if the foe is close, the closer hitbox might be nice.

I take whatever I can set up for and preferentialy use whatever has less decay.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I'm in a bit of a dilemma now. Usmash looks so appealing to use as a damage racker because of its speed, but it's also such a good killer. I could use it to rack up damage, but it will stale fast (the stronger the move, the more it will stale in terms of damage and knockback), so her usmash will be badly affected if she spams it.

I like to class her usmash and utilt as identical attacks, except one is multihit and slightly faster but the other is a single hit but slightly more powerful. But I really can't make up my mind about both attacks. I want to use one as a racker and the other as a killer (obviously throwing in a few extra moves as well =D). Has anyone got any ideas? Because they both have advantages and disadvantages (usmash is faster but has smash di, utilt is stronger but harder to land...)

I'm sounding all confused =( Just which is the better move to kill and which is the better move to rack up damage I guess is what I'm asking, because they're both good (and bad) depending on the situation. I just don't want to use BOTH early on and stale them severely.

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, maybe it's just my playstyle but I tend to save usmash for the KO's, to rack damage I play defensively, punish bad approaches with Nayru's and punish lag on the ground with spotdodge/roll --> dsmash. Sliding Usmashes can come out of nowhere in this style, the opponent won't expect it and when not stale it is almost as good a killer as utilt

P.S. Dtilt --> Utilt works sometimes at higher damages when Dtilt pops them up to the right height.

Fishcake56

Smash Cadet
Hmm..

Start as Zelda, use usmash liberally and when they get to 70+ damage, knock them off with dsmash, transform into Sheik, use Sheik's great dmash to punish and knock them off the the stage again, transform again for fresh usmash kill?

Granted, this scenario is a twist on the Sheik to Zelda kill mechanism, and if you are proficient enough at using Sheik you can probably just gimp/kill with her and skip the zelda usmash altogether, but I wonder if Zelda mains might find this useful for fresh usmash kills?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Hmm..

Start as Zelda, use usmash liberally and when they get to 70+ damage, knock them off with dsmash, transform into Sheik, use Sheik's great dmash to punish and knock them off the the stage again, transform again for fresh usmash kill?

Granted, this scenario is a twist on the Sheik to Zelda kill mechanism, and if you are proficient enough at using Sheik you can probably just gimp/kill with her and skip the zelda usmash altogether, but I wonder if Zelda mains might find this useful for fresh usmash kills?
This isn't really all that useful, unless your using Sheik for damage and Zelda for the kill..just edgeguard. Zelda actually has some decent options for gimps and she has good distance on her recovery....as long as you know what you can and can't do i'd rather just stay Zelda and edgeguard.

Usmash should be used for damage racking. It strings into itself at lower percentages, comes out faster, better priority, can be used out of a dash. Utilt on the other hand is very situational and usually needs to be set up.

Top Bottom