• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pensacola, FL Monthly #2: Meta Knight is Unbanned

Ruse

Fox
Introduction

I'm really glad with the turn out and overall result of the previous tournament, which has quickly prompted me to hold the second installation of what could, hopefully, last for quite some time. I apologize for the lack of a warning of the last tournament's date, but with a two week heads up I'm thinking that quite a few people who missed will be able to make it. My crew and I have decided to unban Meta Knight just to see how things run, and because there were a few players who really seemed turned off by the idea of banning a character. We'll see how it works out. Minor changes have been made to the rules (like Hanenbow being banned in doubles), but they're essentially the same.

Next Tournament

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=204058

Results

Singles:
1. HolyChef (Meta Knight/Ice Climbers) $78.00
2. Ruse (R.O.B./Mr. Game & Watch) $30.00
3. Dan (Marth/Falco) $12.00
4. God (Meta Knight)
5. Mankosuki (R.O.B.)
5. Eddie (Zelda/Marth)
7. DeCoN (Marth/Zelda)
7. Barlw (Pit)
9. MikeLove (Olimar)
9. Axel (Ness)
9. Camus (Pikachu)
9. Blue (Diddy Kong/King Dedede)

Doubles:
1. The Law Givers (Dan/God) $39.00
2. Trapped in the Closet (Ruse/DeCoN) $15.00
3. Smelly **** (HolyChef/Blue) $6.00
4. Blues Brothers (Bill/Vlad)

Changes

-All is Brawl link fixed - 11/04/08
-Added All is Brawl link - 10/29/08
-Links added - 10/??/08

Links

-All is Brawl Link (Fixed)
-Florida Thread
-PHB Championship Edition: A Melee and Brawl Tournament - 11/01/08

General Information

Date:
November 8th, 2008.

Time:
Friendlies and registration will start at 1:00pm.
Doubles will begin at 2:00pm.
Singles will commence whenever doubles end (no earlier than 3:30pm).

Games:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Doubles (if at least four teams enter).
Melee will NOT be held at this tournament, but it will be held at PCola #3.

Entry Fees:
Brawl Singles - $10.
Brawl Doubles - $15 per team.
Note: I will most definitely have change, but exact change would be appreciated. All of the profit goes back to the players!

Prizes:
Brawl Singles - 1st 65%; 2nd %25; 3rd 10% if attendance is <20.
Brawl Singles - 1st 60%; 2nd %20; 3rd 10%; 5th 5% if attendance is >20.
Brawl Doubles - 1st 65%; 2nd %25; 3rd 10%.

Pensacola, FL 32505
Note: This is my home, not a game store or other venue.

Parking:
There's a huge grass field across from my house.

Housing:
If you've driven a ridiculous amount of time (a few hours+), we could most likely give you a couch/bed/mattress/floor to sleep on. I'd say we can sleep five extra people comfortably, but more if necessary.

Cell Phone - (850) 982-2348
AIM - OSWEETEXTINCTION

Rules

Basic Rules:
-3 Stock.
-7 minute timer.
-Items are set to "off" and "none."
-All sets will be best out of three matches, except for the losers, winners, and grand finals, which will be best out of five.
-The tournament will be double elimination.
-All playable characters will be allowed.
-In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors.
-No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
-In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
-If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage. In the rare case that both stock and percentage are the same, a one round one stock overtime will be played. The characters and stage will remain the same as the previous match.
-If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
-You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings before a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
-Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
-Stalling* is banned.

*Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Additional Rules for Double's Play:
-Life Stealing is allowed
-Set team attack to "on."

Stage Information

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match.*
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure.**
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set.
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2.
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List.
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character.
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character.
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches.

*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match.
**Players take turns striking stages from the starter list until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counter picked later in the set.

Stage Lists

Starter:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Lylat Cruise
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Island

Counter:
-Brinstar (Melee)
-Castle Siege
-Corneria (Melee)
-Delfino Plaza
-Frigate Orpheon
-Halberd
-Jungle Japes (Melee)
-Luigi's Mansion
-Norfair
-Pictochat
-Pokémon Stadium 1 (Melee)
-Rainbow Cruise (Melee)

Banned:
-75m
-Big Blue
-Bridge of Eldin
-Distant Planet
-Flat Zone 2
-Green Greens (Melee)
-Green Hill Zone
-Hanenbow
-Hyrule Temple (Melee)
-Mario Bros.
-Mario Circuit
-Mushroomy Kingdom I
-Mushroomy Kingdom II
-New Pork City
-Onett (Melee)
-Pirate Ship
-Pokémon Stadium 2
-Pork Town Aero Dive
-Rumble Falls
-Shadow Moses
-Skyworld
-Spear Pillar
-The Summit
-Wario Ware
-Yoshi's Island (Melee)

MikeLove

Smash Rookie
so, the 8th eh? dude, we should totally do singles before doubles this time. think about bill, vlad, ty, and everyone else that had to go to work instead of play because of doubles being first.

Ruse

Fox
Singles last sooo much longer, and, generally, after people get eliminated from Singles, they leave.

Holy, if you could do me a favor and spread this around UWF I'd be very appreciative.

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
i wonder how the tourney will be now that mK is legal..Prob not too different..i only no 1 mK player so its nothin my samus cant handle :p

Ruse

Fox
i wonder how the tourney will be now that mK is legal..Prob not too different..i only no 1 mK player so its nothin my samus cant handle :p
One of the guys who only entered doubles plays MK, as well as one of Mike Love's friends.

Only time will tell, I suppose. Are you going to bring your crew again, John?

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
**shrugs** idk, if i have the money and if my friends want to do it again. im leaving for a swim meet in tally tuesday, we are gonna be brawlin on the bus the way there

Bummerz

Smash Apprentice
hey i moved to pensacola about 3 months ago, from hawaii i know there ain't gonna be a melee tourny but was wondering if you'd have some melee friendlies goin down. don't think id sign up for the brawl tourny cause i only played it like 5 times when i stopped by at game stop lolz. but yeah let me know cause ill stop by and smash a lil. im in the military so im planning to move out, when i find a place ill prolly throw some smash fest down. hopefully i can find someplace with free electricity i dunno how yall do it down here but we can thorw it down all night.

Bummerz

Smash Apprentice
so is there a melee tourney?
nvm whoever read this b4 i changed it.

i changed duty sections.

so if theres melee ill be there

Lizard

Smash Ace
Don't think we will be able to make this one Ruse, but rest assured, we will come out soon. gotta reciprocate the love right?

Ruse

Fox
Don't think we will be able to make this one Ruse, but rest assured, we will come out soon. gotta reciprocate the love right?
): Aw. I hope that some of you guys can make the December 6th one.

We need to have some crew battles!

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Fun tourney.

I'm going to have to change my control scheme again though. I keep getting knocked out of tourneys by side-b killing myself. :(

HolyChef

Smash Ace
Ice Climbers...

thats awesome that an Ice Climbers player placed first...

by going mostly metaknight.

edit. vids would be cool.

especially my set with dan, grand finals, and maybe even luigis mansion match with scott too. mk ditto + luigis mansion = dumb.

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
yes i'd love to see some vids of what i missed this weekend, hopefully i will be able to make it to the tourney on the 6th..money is running low for me right now though lol..

Ruse

Fox
thats awesome that an Ice Climbers player placed first...

by going mostly metaknight.

edit. vids would be cool.

especially my set with dan, grand finals, and maybe even luigis mansion match with scott too. mk ditto + luigis mansion = dumb.
Not as funny as half of the top four maining Meta Knight (what a surprise!).

Manko is bringing over his external HD to get all of the files tomorrow (Monday).

Here's a list of what I have:
Law Givers vs Smelly ****
Law Givers vs Trapped in the Closet
Ruse vs Blue
God vs HolyChef
Dan vs Love (only one match)
Dan vs DeCoN
Dan vs Mankosuki
Ruse vs Holy (Winners' Finals)
Dan vs Holy (Losers' Finals)
Ruse vs Holy (Grand Finals)
And some friendlies.

That's a whole lot of Dan vids.

HolyChef

Smash Ace
Not as funny as half of the top four maining Meta Knight (what a surprise!).
not to sound cocky or meatride myself but i was decent(compared to other pensacola players) before and am also decent without playing metaknight. my ice climbers beat dan who you think is pensacolas best. sorry dan lol. just had to point that out.

just saying that metaknights that place high were already good to begin with.

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
not to sound cocky or meatride myself but i was decent(compared to other pensacola players) before and am also decent without playing metaknight. my ice climbers beat dan who you think is pensacolas best. sorry dan lol. just had to point that out.

Lol i dont see anything wrong with sayin ur a good player since its true >_> doesnt sound cocky at all

Ruse

Fox

I was just giving you a hard time :p.

I know you can meatride with IC/G&W/anyone you decide to pick up.

Dan needs to pick up an IC counter (coughJiggscough), and I need to work on mine some ):... My Jiggs is really out of shape. Need to make that biatch run some laps.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
where were all these tourney-winning metaknights at the tourney we came to a few weeks ago? I couldn't find any :laugh:

Top Bottom