• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Infinite on Ness is no more! YES

PKNintendo

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy_1ttIB7A0

Ref said:
Okay Now normally you guys would just DI by holding away. Now I present to you Extra Inch DI.

What it does: It makes you move a bit further when breaking out of grabs.

Hold diagonally up and away on the joy stick, then whail on the C stick in the same direction, keep flicking the C stick.

Once that is done Ness will slide drastically further. Video will be up soon...

Ness will fall out of Marth's grab range. Marth can just dashing grab chain you, but that's not as effective.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
So basically this is just double stick DI?

Marth can still dash grab anyway.

It just means that he will get less percent off.

And he can still get finishing moves off if Ness is in kill percents.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
This sucks if this is true. And who likes my new signature??

Edit: Wait, if he can still dash grab you, then nothing has changed. It just takes a bit longer but the infinite isn't infinite but is pretty **** good anyway.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Wasn't this discovered months ago? I'm pretty sure the Lucas players found this almost immediately after the whole "zomg almost every character can grab infinite you."

I mean, it's nice that it's being brought up again, but seriously, I'm disapointed that people didn't know about this already.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
So basically this is just double stick DI?

Marth can still dash grab anyway.

It just means that he will get less percent off.

And he can still get finishing moves off if Ness is in kill percents.
Yes all that is true. I mentioned that in the original thread, this is a weirder than just double stick DI because you do it diagonally to slide further for some reason.

If you do a double stick DI away without going diagonal Marth can still grab you.

It wasn't discovered months ago because I'm pretty sure they just went Double stick away. The double stick Diagonal gives much more sliding distance.

If it was discovered exactly how I stated it, then the Lucas players should have had it some where or told it to the Ness boards.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Yes all that is true. I mentioned that in the original thread, this is a weirder than just double stick DI because you do it diagonally to slide further for some reason.

If you do a double stick DI away without going diagonal Marth can still grab you.

It wasn't discovered months ago because I'm pretty sure they just went Double stick away. The double stick Diagonal gives much more sliding distance.
Isn't it still a long chain-grab even if it isn't infinite??

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
well, time bring back ness into my top three mains again!!!!! Hopefully it applies for all characters, i got a bone to pick with a falco cg....

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman

Edit: Wait, if he can still dash grab you, then nothing has changed. It just takes a bit longer but the infinite isn't infinite but is pretty **** good anyway.
FYI, dash grab really isn't as effective....

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Well, I guess Marth vs Ness isn't 99/1, but more like 75/25 - 80/20 Marth.

PKNintendo

Smash Master

It's okay. But why do you even WANT Ness to get infinited?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Ness STILL has nothing on Marth for the most part. The infinite was just insult to injury.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Wasn't this discovered months ago? I'm pretty sure the Lucas players found this almost immediately after the whole "zomg almost every character can grab infinite you."

I mean, it's nice that it's being brought up again, but seriously, I'm disapointed that people didn't know about this already.
Not everybody visits the Lucas boards. And why are you disappointed? Does it bother you that much? :laugh:

illinialex24

Smash Hero
FYI, dash grab really isn't as effective....
Yeah but its still awesome.

It's okay. But why do you even WANT Ness to get infinited?
Brawl sucks enough as it is so I want to have one major advantage (my normal difficulties with Brawl are Jigglypuff vs. Game and Watch, which is so unfair its like any infinite grab).

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Isn't it still a long chain-grab even if it isn't infinite??
The point is Marth can't grab you twice without dash grabbing. The whole standing long chain grab is done.

Marth can still do this attacks out of a grab release. He must dash to re grab though. This makes is significantly shorter.

Ness has a slight aerial range advantage over Marth, and projectile advantage. Grounded there is not much Ness can do, except use his shield, dodges, grab, yo yo, and projectiles.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
The point is Marth can't grab you twice without dash grabbing. The whole standing long chain grab is done.

Marth can still do this attacks out of a grab release. He must dash to re grab though. This makes is significantly shorter.

Ness has a slight aerial range advantage over Marth, and projectile advantage. Grounded there is not much Ness can do, except use his shield, dodges, grab, yo yo, and projectiles.
yeah, but it just takes a set of grabs to rack up insane damage and so its still awesome.

This hardly changes anything.
Glad to hear that from you

ColinJF

Smash Ace
Dash grab chaingrabs do hardly any damage, not "insane damage".

My previous analysis of this match up (in which I said 70-30) was based on having to play cautiously to avoid being grabbed among other things making it worse for Ness. In light of this discovery the match up isn't any worse than 60 - 40 Marth wins.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
This hardly changes anything.
Umm...? I'm pretty sure if a character goes from being grabbed over and over, making it a long chain grab, to only being grabbed half as long, if grabbed at all, (I need to retest the dashing grab if it works) doesn't change anything?

Think about it...

Match up is now 60-40 if you ask me.

Okay I tested this and the dashing grab seems not to work if Ness spot dodges right after that.

Nor does walking slightly and grabbing.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
LOL

I'm not changing it from 75:25. Ness is still a bad character and Marth still has a guaranteed kill set up.

Ness just can't compete with Marth.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Umm...? I'm pretty sure if a character goes from being grabbed over and over, making it a long chain grab, to only being grabbed half as long, if grabbed at all, (I need to retest the dashing grab if it works) doesn't change anything?

Think about it...

Match up is now 60-40 if you ask me.
LOL. The matchup is nowhere even close. Its one of Marth's easiest matchups. He can still be grabbed for a while and Marth can kill Ness so easily.

LOL

I'm not changing it from 75:25. Ness is still a bad character and Marth still has a guaranteed kill set up.

Ness just can't compete with Marth.
Agreed.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
Ness isn't a bad character. In fact he is very good.

That being said it's your forum so put what you want for the match up numbers.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Ness isn't a bad character.
In 64. Jigglypuff mains can say all they want about Jigglypuff not sucking (I still believe she should be lower mid tier, and that she is fairly good against Metaknight), but when it comes down to it, unless if wavedashing is somehow invented for Jigglypuff and she gets a way to have her aerial priority doubled, she will never be tournament material. Ness is not tournament viable except as a counterpick.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
Jigglypuff is somewhat underrated... she is probably the best low tier character. (Ness is high mid tier.)

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Umm... read my post up there... Dashing grab does not work it seems.

Not changing it from 75-25 to atleast 65-35 is just illogical.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Read the ness match-up chart if you seriously think it's 60:40. We evaluated the match-up with and without the grab release.
This changes nothing as steel said.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Jigglypuff is somewhat underrated... she is probably the best low tier character. (Ness is high mid tier.)
Uhh, ness is high low tier right now and she is underrated for a reason. She has a higher learning curve without any rewards, so its not an easy character just to pick up but there are little rewards from learning her gameplay (except she is moderately good against Metaknight at top levels). She should be higher but she won't be.

These guys know more than you. I came in here with around the same number of posts as you saying Jiggs Marth was a 50-50 matchup. I've become smarter.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer

No, it's plenty logical. If Ness gets anything it will be 70:30. How much emphasis do you think we actually put on the grab release? Not much. Perhaps just those 10 points, 70:30 seems plenty reasonable.

And no, Ness is trash. So is everyone. Unless you're meta knight or snake.

illinialex24

Smash Hero

No, it's plenty logical. If Ness gets anything it will be 70:30. How much emphasis do you think we actually put on the grab release? Not much. Perhaps just those 10 points, 70:30 seems plenty reasonable.

And no, Ness is trash. So is everyone. Unless you're meta knight or snake.
Or Marth, R.O.B., Falco, or G&W. They still don't have great shots but at least they do have a chance to win a tourney.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
These guys know more than you. I came in here with around the same number of posts as you saying Jiggs Marth was a 50-50 matchup. I've become smarter.

Hahaha.

neon..?

Smash Journeyman
colin wth ness is garbage and it wont be 60-40. ness isn't high mid tier. he isn't even low mid tier. and jiggly is low low tier.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
No they're trash.

TRASH.

Just not as trashy as ness, that's all.
If Metaknight goes they won't be at all.

colin wth ness is garbage and it wont be 60-40. ness isn't high mid tier. he isn't even low mid tier. and jiggly is low low tier.
Lol, she's not that low. She just has the worst circumstances for use, so she sucks but not that much.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
If you want to discuss Metaknight thread:http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197057

It was 75:25, 75-10=65, 100-65=35 so it should be 65:35. Characters are not trash. Many players enter with their characters and place high. It is not a Necessity for you to use snake or MK.

It's illogical to keep a match up that high in disadvantage. Especially since one of the parts that people feared of the match up is completely gone.

Just because using your character you haven't place well or others who play your character haven't, and others have with other characters, doesn't mean the character is trash.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I lol'd

Anyway, when I say 10 point differential you take away 5 points from each side.

75 - 5 = 70
25 + 5 = 30

70:30.

Why do you keep saying it's illogical when you fail to bring up any points? You're just debating a ratio without giving me any proof besides the fact that "Marth can't get in chip damage anymore with his grab release." That wasn't too big of a deal in the first place, the thing you should be afraid of is the dsmash following the release.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
If you want to discuss Metaknight thread:http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197057

It was 75:25, 75-10=65, 100-65=35 so it should be 65:35. Characters are not trash. Many players enter with their characters and place high. It is not a Necessity for you to use snake or MK.

It's illogical to keep a match up that high in disadvantage. Especially since one of the parts that people feared of the match up is completely gone.

Just because using your character you haven't place well or others who play your character haven't, and others have with other characters, doesn't mean the character is trash.
Seriously, these people know more than you. Ness doesn't have the ability to beat Marth. How much clearer does that have to be made. The chain-grab still does insane damage and nothing has changed except it takes 1 more grab to do the exact same thing. Even without any chain-grabs, Ness can't do jack on Marth.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Look back and read the post all the post here Marth cannot dash grab Ness. Marth can still grab release to attacks though.

Ness has a slight aerial range advantage over Marth, and projectile advantage.

Grounded Ness can use his shield, dodges, grab, yo yo, and projectiles. Or just counter ground attack with aerials, just because your opponent is grounded doesn't mean you have to say grounded.

Another point is that one of the parts that Ness players fear in this match up is completely gone.

Right now this is like cutting 5,000 feet off a 30,000 feet tree and trying to climb it, but making it to the same exact height proportion wise.

Top Bottom