• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread Export: Week 5 - King Dedede

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
I don't think we've had enough Dedede discussion... so, while the next character is being discussed in the original thread, we can hopefully get some more info on D3 here, and maybe get a consensus on the matchup. In my matchup template...

Character: King Dedede
Difficulty rating: (Your rating of the match)
Overview: (What general strategies does this character employ against a Kirby? Does he camp? Go all out offensive?)
Pros+Cons: (What does this character have going for him? Weight? Speed? How about things we can take advantage of?)
Watch out for: (This character's favourite moves and when he'll use them)
How to win: (What Kirby needs to do to beat this character)
Spit out or Swallow?: (Do we want to copy his ability or keep the inhale for Kirbycides/under-stage spits?)
What NOT to do: (If you want to lose, go right ahead)

Stages: (Which to counterpick? Which to avoid?)
Synopsis: (Tl;Dr version)

...I need more info on the bolded sections. Hopefully this won't have to go the full week, and I might be able to get the Dedede section up in 2 or 3 days if this goes quickly.

If this works out very well, I might be using export threads for the rest of the discussions.

~Shao~

Smash Ace
Since nobody posted, I'll try to go a little more in-depth about Spit or Swallow. I'm not sure about this and I can't test because I don't have my Brawl with me, but I believe Dedede's has more range and does more damage, however, I think it has more ending lag than Kirby's. If this is true, Dedede's would be better when you use it to rack up damage and Kirby's would be better when you swallow and spit them under the stage. Other than this, it's irrelevant.

Tainted_Knives

Smash Cadet
Pros+Cons:

Pros
- Strongest character in the game
- Reliable projectile (Waddle dee throw)
- Huge Disjointed Hitboxes
- D throw can Chain Grab
- has the furthest reaching F-tilt in the game.

Cons
- has poor horizonatal air speed (worst in the game)
- Predictable up-special recovery
- Slow (obviously)
- Most attacks have a certain ending lag.
- Easy combo'd/Juggled.

Attacks NOT to use:

-Ground Hammer
- Stone
-D smash
-final cutter(close range)

or any other attack with long ending lag. Being that DDD is the strongest character in the game, you can't afford to give him a free shot when your a light weight.

How To Win
IMO, Kirby is a great character to use against DDD, mainly because he has all the right attributes to Capitalize on his weaknessess. Because of his Huge size and slow speed, DDD can fall easy prey to a veteran Kirby who knows how to use his combos. More Specifically, the f-throw combos.

The key to beating DDD with Kirby (IMO) is to stay as close to him as possible, exercising throws and tilts to rack up damage. DDD excels at mid-distance combat because it opens his options up to smashes, the waddle D spam, and his annoying F-tilt. But up close, he has few options that can Deal with Kirby's quick ground game.

it is also worth noting that DDD has a hard time chain-grabbing light weight characters. This, of course, includes Kirb. DDD is also one of the easiest characters to hit with your aerial hammer since he's so **** big. One of Kirby's biggest weaknesses is speed. While not particularly "slug-slow", fast characters do give him a hard time. No such problem with DDD. It also helps when DDD's strongest attacks can generally be seen coming (e.i. JetHammer, F-Smash).

Perhaps Kirby's biggest advantage over DDD is edge guarding. While Meteor Smashing him is usually a lost cause because of his absurd vertical recovery, DDD has terrible horizontal recovery and has to rely almost entirely on his 4 jumps when he's far off the stage. It also doesn't help that Kirby Trumps DDD with an extra jump;. Add this to DDD's size and you've got the perfect candidate for the wall of pain.

I think the worst thing you can do when facing DDD is to use laggy moves. This is when his usually predictable attacks become very dangerous. Stick to quick, safe blows like f-air, u-tilt, and d-tilt until you see a sure-fire opening to land a finishing Smash attack. Do not let him abuse the waddle D's. Clear them off the stage whenever DDD gives you time to do so. they might not pose a serious threat right off the bat, but they can become a nuisance if lefted unchecked.

Difficulty level

7.5/10

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
D3's b-air has a longer range as well as a better recovery time than kirby's back air. Also his u-tilt is deadly as hell, but fairly easy to dodge.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
When fighting DDD, the first objective is to set up easy grab combos. DDD's can be grabbed easily enough if you read them, and dont let them sidestep spam. Time the grab and rack up damage til you can knock the big oaf off the stage. As mentioned before, Kirby has a rather easy time going for the wall of pain.

Your main concern is the fact that DDD has huge range and strength. His aerials go farther than Kirby's, so dont play spacing games with him, it wont work. Just look for his openings when he misses and you'll do fine.

Also, pretty obvious to anyone who's used Kirby for more than a minute, DDD cant CG Kirby, which is freaking great.

I'd say it's 6:4 in Kirby's favor due to his advantages on DDD.

Pdiamond

Smash Apprentice
i know we dont need to discuss any further but for any DeDeDe that knows what he is doing will know how to stop a kirby. and no a kirby should NOT get close to DeDeDe(my main is DeDeDe but my secondary is kirby), DeDeDe can easily suck kirby up or grab him. eventually adding up as loads of damage then will quickly up tilt causing a KO.

Top Bottom