• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Killing More Efficiently

Count

Smash Champion
As Diddy players, we must learn to contend with his weaknesses (although some of us seem to think that Diddy has none ^_^). With those weaknesses of course comes diddy’s problem to put people away. While I may not be an expert on the subject, I feel that I have some good points to make.

As we near the percentages when we feel we are ready to land the KO, for many diddy players we tend to focus on only one move. Glidetoss to fsmash. As people become more accustomed to playing against Diddy, they begin to anticipate this. This leads to a multitude of problems:

-Opponents DIing out of the fsmash.

-Opponents doing all that they can to avoid the initial banana. Of course opponents are always trying to avoid this, but I feel that they tend to play more defensively as they get to dire percentages.

-Opponents predicting and punishing the glidetoss to fsmash.

-If our fsmash isn’t fresh (and often times it isn’t for one reason or another), then the opponent has a chance to recover.

We want to put our opponents away at the desired time. There is little worse in a match as diddy then losing simply because we let our opponents reach the high 100s or 200s before we are able to land a kill. As a Diddy main, racking up damage is almost never a problem.

So what are some alternate ways of getting the crucial KO at an efficient percentage?

-Glidetoss to dsmash. This mean seem like an obvious answer, but it seems to me that sometimes we get close minded and only think glidetoss to fsmash during a match. Of course that is our most reliable KO move, but it is predictable and gets weak. If our dsmash stays fresh, it is just as reliable. It also seems to come out quicker after a glide toss. Also, if our opponent is expecting to DI out of the fsmash (as they very well may be) then this will be an almost guaranteed hit.

-Glidetoss up, shorthop, fair..depending on how fresh your fair is. A lot of times our opponents gets so accustomed to the glidetoss-smash attack in kill situations that they may drop their shield after the nana is throw up. This is a good opportunity for some monkey feet in their face.

-Go for an occasional spike when our opponent is at a percentage where he or she may expect a smash attack from us to KO. Often times our opponents are on the lookout for a spike from us when they are at lower percentages, but as we go to edgeguard at higher percentages they may be expecting a bair or fair. It never hurts to go for a spike, and when our opponents are at higher percentage they are more susceptible to being spiked, in my opinion. Also, Ninjalink and GDX have some videos that are an excellent source to see how to follow up a dash attack to a spike.

-Glidetoss up, grab, up throw, uair. Advent’s realization of the upthrow being such an effective throw comes into play here. Often times after a grab our opponents are expecting to be thrown back or forward, because that is what the majority of us do after a grab. Uair can be a reliable kill move, especially when the opponent is towards the top of the screen, it is fresh, and unexpected. This tactic may not work a ton, but sometimes it can be easy to bait an airdodge then go for the uair.

-Grab release, stutter step, fsmash/dsmash. Sometimes we get so caught up in flyin around and throwing people right after a grab because it is so fun and addicting, that we forget that we can kill more efficiently if we sometimes take a moment to think. Many Diddy Kongs rely on their grab game a lot (I know that I do) and often times we throw our opponent directly after a grab. As you get to the ideal KO percentages, sometimes a grab release can throw an opponent off enough for us to get the desired, efficient KO.

I know that I am no Diddy expert and I would never claim to be, but I hope that this thread can be helpful. Too often we get caught up in Diddy’s combos and such that we forget that it is time to hone in on the KO. So just remember that although glidetoss to fsmash is diddy’s most reliable KO move, that it is predictable and that they are alternate ways of landing that KO when the opponent is at the proper KO percentage.

Thanks for reading and I guess this is my way to try to help a little because I know that the Diddy forum here on smashboards has been integral for the improvement of my game. I guess this is also my desperate attempt to make the mega sticky ^_^. <3

-count

IDK

Smash Lord
yeah thats not a bad guide. i was thinking of suggesting a guide like this to be made by the DBR but we're busy doing something else ATM. :)

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
wow this is good. It shows other alternatives to killing with diddy than just his fsmash.
I use his fsmash a lot and I should use other kill moves too =x

Player-1

Smash Legend
I don't even have a problem killing any more...now my main problem is diddy not being able to keep up with the lagless aerials > smash attacks by characters such as marth, Luigi, G&W, etc.

But yeah, excellent guide. Peanut gun isn't in there...we can't forget the peanut gimp.

Count

Smash Champion
I don't even have a problem killing any more...now my main problem is diddy not being able to keep up with the lagless aerials > smash attacks by characters such as marth, Luigi, G&W, etc.

But yeah, excellent guide. Peanut gun isn't in there...we can't forget the peanut gimp.
This is true. I guess I wasn't really thinking too much about edgeguarding and gimping, but yeah the peanut gun is SO much better than people make it out to be.

IDK

Smash Lord
yeah people say he has trouble killing but people forget he's the king of spikes.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I don't get the KO with the Fsmash anywhere near as often as I used to. I almost always use Dsmash.
And Dair. Dair is Godly.

Anyway I'll add this to the sticky <3

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Umm. Grab Release to fsmash is not gonna work. If it did everyone would be using it. Your opponent has way too much time to respond to it.

Everything else is good.

Count

Smash Champion
I don't deny that the peanut gun is amazing-I just did this more for alternate ways of killing when your opponent is at the desired killing percentage besides glide toss to fsmash. As far as I'm concerned peanuts are always great for killing =D.

Top Bottom