• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official G&W Stage Discussion #2: Final Destination - revisited!

K 2

Smash Lord
Under the insistance of PockyD and other, I have decided to revisited Final Destination. Why? Because PockyD wanted me to.

Here we go with Stage Discussion #2, Final Destination. Again, if there is any character that has a huge advantage or disadvantage against G&W on FD, please tell us so we can ban this stage against them or try to avoid it. Give your thoughts on G&W's general advantages and disadvantages of FD. Please give a rating from 1-10 with 1 being the worst stage for G&W and 10 being the best stage for G&W. Also, feel free to go back can contribute to the Battlefield stage discussion found here:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5671411&posted=1#post5671411

Discuss away!

K 2

Smash Lord
This stage is wide open, perfect for projectile campers. Unfortuantly, G&W doesn't have an effective projectile, which means he's forced to approach 80% of the time. However, G&W does have defences against most projectiles. G&W's bucket can protect him from energy based attacks, his tilts and aerials can cancel out other projectiles, and his crouch can avoid many projectiles .

G&W isn't particuarly fast, so he doesn't have the ability to cover the whole stage in 1 second. He doesn't have the speed advantage that allows him to hit and run. Approaching a projectile camper can be slow and tedious if you want to avoid taking damage.

Don't take a diddy here. He can do some crazy banana infinite thing and end with a spike. The flat stage is perfect for diddy, since there are no obstructions that get in his way with bananas.

This stage also has a bad lip on it, which means G&W can get stuck under it with his up b.

Overall, this is a bad stage for G&W, try to avoid it. Rating: 3/10.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The lip isn't a problem at all for Mr. Game & Watch. Just don't recover into it.

This stage isn't really bad for Mr. Game & Watch. No he can't spam, but who can spam him? The bucket means he can sit on the other end of the stage from Pit or a member of team Star Fox with impunity. I wouldn't like to be fighting Diddy or either of the Links here, but I don't see it being the most devastating thing ever or anything. Mr. Game & Watch is hardly slow, and he can get around various nonsense pretty well. This stage doesn't especially help him like so many other stages do, but it does fairly little to actually hurt him.

The plus side is that the wide openness makes the stage pretty good for juggling which is one of Mr. Game & Watch's strong points. The stage isn't so long that Mr. Game & Watch has real trouble crossing it either; it's really easy to do a variety of good aerial maneuvers here. The flat ground (as opposed to, say, Yoshi's Island Brawl) is also nice for ftilt, dtilt, and fsmash as those are a bit harder to hit with on uneven ground, especially when facing downhill.

I give this stage the same rating I gave Battlefield, 4/10. I would probably usually pick Battlefield over this, but the differences in quality overall are pretty small, and I'm never going to actually pick either stage since, even if it's not bad, there are just better stages for Mr. Game & Watch out there. It just means there's no reason to avoid Final Destination either... unless I just want to mess with opponents who really love it (I like to ban Final Destination to frustrate opponents who only play there when given the choice).

cutter

Smash Champion
I really don't like Final D personally; no platforms and it can be a bit irritating because I like more close quarter stages like Battlefield.

Nothing bad for GW; just a bit annoying for me since I play against a Snake player that plays nothing but this stage... so I just ban Final D in a set.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
bucket isn't too practical. it really shouldn't be used unless you're playing a zamus. post lag, catch or no catch, is just dangerous.

but yeah, not a great stage for g&w. 5/10

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
If you use the bucket intelligently, you won't be getting killed for absorbing things and probably won't eat any really big hits. It's worth taking an average hit to get a good charge in the bucket, and the mere threat of using the bucket prevents a lot of spam (Pit will never fire an arrow at you from the other side of Final Destination). Yeah, it's dangerous, but it's not even half as dangerous as a bucket full of good projectiles is for them. Do also remember that the absorption that fills the bucket is pretty much completely safe; it has either no lag or so little lag that it's insignificant. So getting a full bucket only means leaving yourself open twice, not three times.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
As stated above the bucket is worth the danger imo. Its mere existance garners respect from spam-dependant characters and cause them to play differently.

Personally im not prone to playing as GnW on FD. its big and it means crossing the distance between you and an opponent can be a pain cuz he's so slow. also, GnW's amazing areial game/ vertical combo potential is limited without the presence of platforms.

it doesnt offer any disadvantages but there are just better stages to play on.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
I don't think this is a good stage for G&W. It is to open of a stage for him. He can maybe approach with his fair, but an opponent could easily punish that. I HATE getting stuck under the lip of fd. It's not a frequent occurrence, but when it happens, it pisses me off. Same with Marth, but this isn't his discussion ;D. Yeah this stage is probably a 4/10 or a 5/10 for him.

ThankGodItsT???

Smash Rookie
i think this stage was made for G&W airs. With no platforms u can use his b-air, n-air and d-air fairly well. I agree with everyone else by not picking this stage against a snake or diddy.

jog

Smash Journeyman
i think this stage was made for G&W airs. With no platforms u can use his b-air, n-air and d-air fairly well. I agree with everyone else by not picking this stage against a snake or diddy.
why is the being brought up anyways?

but actually G&W can bair and nair just fine on Battlefield, nair is better on Battlefield by pressuring through the platforms than it would be on FD. sure he can't dair as good on Battlefield as he could on FD but you can get by. besides, he can move where he's going on his way down with dair...

Dekar173

Justice Man
Little thing to note, GnW's usmash (fresh uncharged) kills all of the cast (DI or not) at 91% MAXIMUM (meaning full DI as DDD doesn't survive) on this stage.

grab, dthrow, punish bad opponent who doesn't tech.

juggle with uair, predict the spotdodge when he's low, punish with super smash of doom.

But ya, usmash is too good.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
This stage can't be worse than 4/10.

Thanks to Bucket Braking.

That is all I will say. Play smart on this stage, and you will survive a long time.

K 2

Smash Lord
uhh...try not to bump old threads people. I plan to revisit this one later and reevalutated it with the discovery of bucket braking, but for now, the rating stands.

Faith

Smash Apprentice
If my opponent is a spam happy I'd gladly pick FD as a counterpick just to **** em over with the bucket. Also the chance to stage spike em with your UP-B makes this a decent map to fight on.
OFcourse you shouldn't pick this if you know your opponent is a diddy or (t)link player.

6/10 because of the provoking of projectile spam and the chance to stage spike em.

K 2

Smash Lord
Gah! stop bumping this thread! It's over! It's done!

If you want a thread to be revisited, post it in the original stage discussion index.

Stop bumping old threads unless you have something uber important to say.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i think what they said was important

what does anyone gain by waiting? if you're waiting for the "metagame to develop" or some garbage like that, then we'll never ever get anything done, because we'll always be waiting for the next big development. If people have new, updated information/advice, they should be free to post it whenever they want

K 2

Smash Lord
Fine....whatever. We can revisit this stage now. Just be sure to contribute to the Norfair discussion.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i think you have some misconception that people are incapable of posting in multiple threads about multiple stages at the same time, which obviously isn't true :)

K 2

Smash Lord
ugh. What is there left to talk about this stage, other than the potential for bucket braking?

The thing is, people seem incapable of posting in one stage discussion thread at a time.

Top Bottom