• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New AT: Stun Jacket

•Col•

Smash Champion
Oh cool, I guess... I THINK I understand it... xD

Too bad it's only really useful in teams... D: Ike needs more help in the 1 on 1 department right now...

•Col•

Smash Champion
It can be useful outside of teams, read, Pierce's post, the one after Vyse's if you want to see more applications.

Oh cool, I guess... I THINK I understand it... xD

Too bad it's only really useful in teams... D: Ike needs more help in the 1 on 1 department right now...
It's too hard to equip in 1 vs. 1 to be useful. Also.....

Yeah, but equipping it outside of teams on purpose is ALMOST impossible in most cases in a serious match.

EDIT: and WTF? O_o

Your post in the original thread:
This is pretty cool Pierce, I don't know how it is usable other than teams though other than better DI though, but nice find dude.
Lulz. Contradiction. D:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I can tell this will be very, very, useful later on.

Don't disregard too early, Ikes. I can already see the theories.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Man it would help if there was a video of this. I'm more of a visual learner, but I at least can see how this would be useful in teams with certain partners.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
I can tell this will be very, very, useful later on.

Don't disregard too early, Ikes. I can already see the theories.
And I can already see the limitations. For one thing, it requires a windbox. You're not going to find many of those outside of Tink's dair and Pit's wings.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
No it doesn't. Read it again.

It requires hurtboxes that are not part of the character sprite.

In all actuality, it just requires the counter to miss.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Windboxes are more common than you think. For example, I bet you didn't know Ness' downB has a Windbox. I was able to equip the jacket onto Ness when I properly executed this technique in midair. Furthermore, it doesn't require only Windboxes. MK's Tornado and Falco's deflector can activate it. D3 has a Windbox, and G&W's UpB works too. That's 4 of the 6 characters that the MBR considers to be S tier.

Missing isn't the only requirement though. If I counter D3's hammer, it won't equip the jacket. Missing is the hardest part though, otherwise, the jacket will get consumed by the hit of counter.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
No it doesn't. Read it again.

It requires hurtboxes that are not part of the character sprite.

In all actuality, it just requires the counter to miss.
And that's about the point where you get owned. Seriously dude, if the counter misses a move that hits it, it's basically lunch time for said receiver of Stun Jacket.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Windboxes are more common than you think. For example, I bet you didn't know Ness' downB has a Windbox. I was able to equip the jacket onto Ness when I properly executed this technique in midair. Furthermore, it doesn't require only Windboxes. MK's Tornado and Falco's deflector can activate it. D3 has a Windbox, and G&W's UpB works too. That's 4 of the 6 characters that the MBR considers to be S tier.
Again, it's nice and all, but you aren't going to be countering any of those moves very often. And let's talk about what's goint to happen once you get the SJ on them, shall we? Not very much. Their recoveries get better, and they might fall into another hit. That's about all. Not much reward for the risk, I say.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
OF COURSE IT'S SITUATIONAL!

You're thinking too limited.

This can actually gives Ike's counter a USE other than "Hmm... I think the opponent will do th--OH **** WRONG BRAALGH!"

Seriously, read this part.

When the Jacket is activated, the person who gets hit receives INCREASED HITSTUN and DELAYED (not decresed) KNOCKBACK. This is important, because it grants the victim more time to DI, which makes it appear like some attacks have decreased knockback.
In singles, the most useful thing I've found for this is that it gives not only regular hitstun but also SHIELD hitstun. This means that some moves will become safe on block if spaced well, such as Marth's ftilt, so long as your opponent is wearing the Stun Jacket.
Imagine if the jacket was on the opponent, and Ike grabbed the opponent, pummeled him, grabbed released, jabbed, then have enough time to get out a f-tilt.

Don't disregard new things because they can't be added onto current tactics. You have to be inventive and make up new scenarios.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
OF COURSE IT'S SITUATIONAL!

You're thinking too limited.

This can actually gives Ike's counter a USE other than "Hmm... I think the opponent will do th--OH **** WRONG BRAALGH!"

Seriously, read this part.

Imagine if the jacket was on the opponent, and Ike grabbed the opponent, pummeled him, grabbed released, jabbed, then have enough time to get out a f-tilt.

Don't disregard new things because they can't be added onto current tactics. You have to be inventive and make up new scenarios.
I'm being a Devil's advocate. You have to prove that it can be used well before it can be incorporated.

And as to your example, that wouldn't work. The pummel would activate it, resulting in said dude getting out before the ftilt hits.

Finally, while it may make moves safer on block, the thing is that IT ONLY HAPPENS ONCE PER TIME. You have to put yourself out there in order to make ONE move safer? My analysis says this isn't very useful at all. Kind of like Ganondorf's instant shockwave. It's usable, but you're much better off not using it.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Could you use the Stun Jacket if you counter an usmash while your above an opponent and the counter misses? Cuz that's what usually causes me to miss a counter.... xD

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Hm, I missed that pummel part.

It's still applicable to taller characters that don't have the option to jump-release however. (And it still works on squirtle's ******** air release).

Seriously, I'm disappointed that you all are disregarding this completely. This is why metagames don't get evolved and people complain about it.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Hm, I missed that pummel part.

It's still applicable to taller characters that don't have the option to jump-release however. (And it still works on squirtle's ******** air release).

Seriously, I'm disappointed that you all are disregarding this completely. This is why metagames don't get evolved and people complain about it.
I'm not disregarding it, I'm just saying that it's almost useless. Setting it up (assuming you even get a chance to) puts you in a bad position, there's no real way to take advantage of it that gives Ike an obvious advantage, and it helps the opponent recover. I'm seriously going to state that it's not of much use in 1v1s.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
You can't say it's useless without trying to find uses for it. Your statement does not hold any more water than mine does.

All I'm saying is TRY IT. If we don't find a good use for it, then fine, but don't say it's useless when we haven't even touched it yet.

Wyvern-x

Smash Apprentice
If this adds hitstun to grab releases you might be able to pull air release-> Sliding U-smash on MK.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
Definitely harder for Ike, but certainly still applicable. I just started doing doubles matches, so this could get interesting.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I think this is basically for countering those usmashes and missing them. I say this is just to come into play when we missed a counter. Not trying to get this. If we miss the counter, we try this out. that way we aren't going out of our way. But hey! It's Marth/Ike's first AT o_O...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
We have the Step-Draw O.o (Although I could be happy if we called it the Light-Draw, after YagamiLight first proposed it...I'm still unsure of who really did came up with it first though, Burrito KNEW how to do it with the standard GCC setup?!)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Again, it's nice and all, but you aren't going to be countering any of those moves very often. And let's talk about what's goint to happen once you get the SJ on them, shall we? Not very much. Their recoveries get better, and they might fall into another hit. That's about all. Not much reward for the risk, I say.
You can't say it's useless without trying to find uses for it. Your statement does not hold any more water than mine does.

All I'm saying is TRY IT. If we don't find a good use for it, then fine, but don't say it's useless when we haven't even touched it yet.
This. I found out mad stuff by ACCIDENT, such as the existence of it, and how it works with Windboxes, and that it works with other stuff besides Windboxes. These were all accidental discoveries, because I was TESTING it. Technically, this glitch has been known for ages. Marths ALWAYS knew that if you countered MK's tornado and missed, this funny glitch happened, but no one explored it. I didn't find out the best trick in the world, but I found something, that lead to something, that lead to something, and now we know a lot more than we did before, and we have a slightly deeper look into the mechanics of what we thought was a shallow game.

I agree that it's pretty useless in singles as of now, but don't just throw it away.

Also, since it needs hitboxes to activate, grab release won't activate the jacket, as grabs and most throws do not.

•Col•

Smash Champion
We have the Step-Draw O.o (Although I could be happy if we called it the Light-Draw, after YagamiLight first proposed it...I'm still unsure of who really did came up with it first though, Burrito KNEW how to do it with the standard GCC setup?!)
Uh....... What are you talking about? xD

Hoser

Smash Ace
Does countering projectiles work? Because if so, that would probably be the best way to obtain the stun jacket.

Top Bottom