• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Is The Format

Spife

Smash Master
Yes, it is done. I'm to lazy to make up a few nonsense paragraphs about how good it is and how fake people with fake names praise it. What I will tell you though is that I slaved over it for 40,000 days and about 42 nights. I'll never forget those brave men in bringing me them combos. Etc etc.

HypeHypeHype. I'd update the other thread but then I wouldn't get enough hype or posts for my efforts.

Anyhoo, I bring you Spife's first combo video:
Link Is The Format

And, if I may quote the Great Dazwa,
woooooooooo!

HylianBoy

Smash Apprentice
Spife = My Role Model

I also liked that it was a long combo vid. The longer the better for me that is.

Spife

Smash Master
Spife = My Role Model

I also liked that it was a long combo vid. The longer the better for me that is.
Wooo, I'm somebodies role model!
I'm actually happy with the length, I met my 2 songs goal (which was hard finding a second song to live up to the first). Even though about 1/5th of the length doesn't involve combos buuuuuuuuut I'm willing to over look that if everyone else is >.>

I learned a valuable lesson either way, get more footage then needed before starting to sequence clips *nods*

link6616

Smash Cadet
Very cool, although like you said, not all that many combos as such, but some pretty nice application of stuff...

Although I sad not to see your special techs, like bomb pillaring and your brilliant use of the Z air

Spife

Smash Master
Very cool, although like you said, not all that many combos as such, but some pretty nice application of stuff...

Although I sad not to see your special techs, like bomb pillaring and your brilliant use of the Z air
I'm sleep posting this...
Anyhoo, the reason the ratio of no combos to total time (1:09 to 7:34) is because the credit song is to good, the boss battle it makes me think of is to good, the characters it was played for was to good, and would have been used if it would have fit. Otherwise the credits would have been 20-30 seconds long and yeah.

those moves weren't included cause I don't like getting punished in games :bee:

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Whoa, cool, I'll check this out.

EDIT: Pretty kewl. I swear your Spin Attack goes higher than mine.

TheLake

Smash Master
didnt like it in the begining, thought it was kinda boring.

but it definately picked up about a quarter in, great job (;

Spife

Smash Master
@ EA3K: ^.^, at the up-b thing: I'd make some lame joke about the Mario/Doc's/Luigis tornado recovery but in saying that I would do it, I do it but not so directly. In this way, I save some dignity but still get out a lame joke.

@TheLake: Thanks! Up until when did you find it boring? Curious, and want to avoid such next time.

I'm saddened by the end of Kaneda on youtube, the quality is horrendous and is nothing like the original un-exported version still in iMovie. I treasure that version the most :bee:

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Nice job Spife! Nice editing and good combos! Someday, people will realize the power of Link and you will be the champion of the revolution when Link throws down the evil top tier suppressors Martha and Fox

HylianBoy

Smash Apprentice
Wooo, I'm somebodies role model!
I'm actually happy with the length, I met my 2 songs goal (which was hard finding a second song to live up to the first). Even though about 1/5th of the length doesn't involve combos buuuuuuuuut I'm willing to over look that if everyone else is >.>

I learned a valuable lesson either way, get more footage then needed before starting to sequence clips *nods*
Hopefully this mean this is the start of more vids. You will be making more, right?

Spife

Smash Master
Hopefully this mean this is the start of more vids. You will be making more, right?
I have two other combo videos I plan on making (one is using my would have been seccond song but it's application else where was needed).

The other one, and I'll share this info now, will be a community combo video, I plan on stringing together the battle music against Ganondorf and Ganon (for OOT) for a Link vs GDorf combo video. That final song is epiiiiiic (and again, would have been my second song but it was needed elsewhere).

Solo wise, eventually, no time soon otherwise I should have just put that effort into this combo video (I've already thought about this)

HylianBoy

Smash Apprentice
I have two other combo videos I plan on making (one is using my would have been seccond song but it's application else where was needed).

The other one, and I'll share this info now, will be a community combo video, I plan on stringing together the battle music against Ganondorf and Ganon (for OOT) for a Link vs GDorf combo video. That final song is epiiiiiic (and again, would have been my second song but it was needed elsewhere).

Solo wise, eventually, no time soon otherwise I should have just put that effort into this combo video (I've already thought about this)
Talk about something to be looking foward to.

When making a combo vid. Does it kinda, you know, take up too much time? From like finding music, collecting clip, adding clips, editing and what not.
Never made a vid, so i'm just asking.

Spife

Smash Master
Talk about something to be looking foward to.

When making a combo vid. Does it kinda, you know, take up too much time? From like finding music, collecting clip, adding clips, editing and what not.
Never made a vid, so i'm just asking.
This is my life story you guys!

Mm well I didn't have much help making mine (I lied, Scar told me to use good combos and good music and skler said no clips over 10 seconds unless it is continuous hits).

The hardest part about making a combo video is having the clips (imo). You can constantly be thinking about what to put in it in terms of music but editing and sequence and synching the clips to the music requires clips -__-

My advice, again, is to mass all your clips onto one file (I used iMovie so I was constantly dragging matches in, cutting out the combo and then deleting everything else). I had about 8 minutes worth of combos before I started. I was fiddling around though and had some idea as to what I wanted to go where, but then I decided to make a second copy and mass all the clips on the time line (so I could see how many minutes of combos I had).

Deciding music wasn't hard for me, from what I've seen, syncing it up isn't a necessity, but it's a plus. I had to sacrifice some syncing for syncing of another part. Pick a song that you like but isn't very repetitive. Repetition is why I didn't use a house track for my second song, house music is about the beat and dancing, not quick jabs and changes, even though Tavern is house, it's a good exception.

When it comes time to edit, time is proportional to how much you synchronize. A few times I didn't sync and just lay clips down and it took no time at all. Other times though, finding the .1 seconds needed for syncing was an atrocious ordeal. When clipping a combo I suggest you take to much and then cut down when you're trying to fit it.

Another thing I had in mind when making and this is some good advice is put enough time into this. I realized that if I make another combo video soon (another one of my Link), like within 1-6 months, I might as well have either A) waited for what ever combos I would be using for the second video and put them in the first or B) spent that time on making the first one better. There's no rule but don't post your video and then a month later post another one because you have more combos, just put more time into the first video.

ALSO: When making a second combo video, chances are (if you follow the above advice) you will be better because a lot of time has passed between making your last video. I feel like Skler should make another video because every time we play, he just combos me. He doesn't do anything else (like cuddle afterward). What I mean is that, although his combo video is ****, he could make a better one cause he's better. But why explain all of this? Because I feel like when you sit down to make another combo video, you shouldn't be using old combos from the era of the first one.
tl;dr - Incinerate all combos from the first combo video, whether you used them or not. Newer combos (you can see this in my video, first clip and a later clip on a falcon on FD compared to everything with the tag SPifE) will be better then older. I'll break this though, a few **** combos now are getting in I assure you.

A guideline I tried to stick to was to only include combos that didn't show me ****ing up (to bad, if the idea was there but I missed it I kept it), show combos that have an end (don't pop them up and then cut cause you messed up on the follow up, just don't include that combo or cut it sooner), and show combos of 50% damage. I tried to keep it to 0%-Kill% (anywhere from 50-100 really) or till death, assuming it was a combo.

One more, try not to have your opponents sucking to much. It's one thing if they miss a tech and you punished it, but if they consecuatively miss common things (teching, wavedashes and l-cancels) then they're not very good or playing poorly.
This gets into worth of the players you're comboing though and I told myself that it's a combo video, its' you ****** other people. You could show computers, if you're ****** them, but no one wants to see that.
All of that came out of having a combo in which I was 4 stocking my friend and only had 22%, can I include that in this combo video? Maybe, but I didn't want people putting 2 and 2 together and realizing that my friend was not that good, suicided a lot or was sandbagging so I could combo better (he was just bad, I assure you).
MOre story! So then I went on to think, "Well if he's not good enough, then who IS good enough? PC Chris? I don't play him, but I do play a bunch of good people from time to time but dont' combo them..." Anyhoo to cut this short and reiterate, it doesn't really matter who you're comboing as long as your audience can't pinpoint their skill some how.

Also, when you think you're done, don't post it, cause you might have missed something (I would change a few things if I could, but I'm to lazy to).

You asked a few question and you got a guide. I overwrite way to much -_-

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
tl;dr

Just kidding, I did read it. That's a lot more thought than I thought would go into a combo video.

Also, I must reiterate, I'm impressed by the combos coming out of a character who really doesn't combo that well.

Spife

Smash Master
tl;dr

Just kidding, I did read it. That's a lot more thought than I thought would go into a combo video.

Also, I must reiterate, I'm impressed by the combos coming out of a character who really doesn't combo that well.
I over thunk it I'm sure, anything worth doing is worth doing right though.

And <3, I don't know if that's directly related to my combo video or Link players in general but power to us. What I wouldn't give for a combo like dair to knee...

HylianBoy

Smash Apprentice
This is my life story you guys!

Mm well I didn't have much help making mine (I lied, Scar told me to use good combos and good music and skler said no clips over 10 seconds unless it is continuous hits).

The hardest part about making a combo video is having the clips (imo). You can constantly be thinking about what to put in it in terms of music but editing and sequence and synching the clips to the music requires clips -__-

My advice, again, is to mass all your clips onto one file (I used iMovie so I was constantly dragging matches in, cutting out the combo and then deleting everything else). I had about 8 minutes worth of combos before I started. I was fiddling around though and had some idea as to what I wanted to go where, but then I decided to make a second copy and mass all the clips on the time line (so I could see how many minutes of combos I had).

Deciding music wasn't hard for me, from what I've seen, syncing it up isn't a necessity, but it's a plus. I had to sacrifice some syncing for syncing of another part. Pick a song that you like but isn't very repetitive. Repetition is why I didn't use a house track for my second song, house music is about the beat and dancing, not quick jabs and changes, even though Tavern is house, it's a good exception.

When it comes time to edit, time is proportional to how much you synchronize. A few times I didn't sync and just lay clips down and it took no time at all. Other times though, finding the .1 seconds needed for syncing was an atrocious ordeal. When clipping a combo I suggest you take to much and then cut down when you're trying to fit it.

Another thing I had in mind when making and this is some good advice is put enough time into this. I realized that if I make another combo video soon (another one of my Link), like within 1-6 months, I might as well have either A) waited for what ever combos I would be using for the second video and put them in the first or B) spent that time on making the first one better. There's no rule but don't post your video and then a month later post another one because you have more combos, just put more time into the first video.

ALSO: When making a second combo video, chances are (if you follow the above advice) you will be better because a lot of time has passed between making your last video. I feel like Skler should make another video because every time we play, he just combos me. He doesn't do anything else (like cuddle afterward). What I mean is that, although his combo video is ****, he could make a better one cause he's better. But why explain all of this? Because I feel like when you sit down to make another combo video, you shouldn't be using old combos from the era of the first one.
tl;dr - Incinerate all combos from the first combo video, whether you used them or not. Newer combos (you can see this in my video, first clip and a later clip on a falcon on FD compared to everything with the tag SPifE) will be better then older. I'll break this though, a few **** combos now are getting in I assure you.

A guideline I tried to stick to was to only include combos that didn't show me ****ing up (to bad, if the idea was there but I missed it I kept it), show combos that have an end (don't pop them up and then cut cause you messed up on the follow up, just don't include that combo or cut it sooner), and show combos of 50% damage. I tried to keep it to 0%-Kill% (anywhere from 50-100 really) or till death, assuming it was a combo.

One more, try not to have your opponents sucking to much. It's one thing if they miss a tech and you punished it, but if they consecuatively miss common things (teching, wavedashes and l-cancels) then they're not very good or playing poorly.
This gets into worth of the players you're comboing though and I told myself that it's a combo video, its' you ****** other people. You could show computers, if you're ****** them, but no one wants to see that.
All of that came out of having a combo in which I was 4 stocking my friend and only had 22%, can I include that in this combo video? Maybe, but I didn't want people putting 2 and 2 together and realizing that my friend was not that good, suicided a lot or was sandbagging so I could combo better (he was just bad, I assure you).
MOre story! So then I went on to think, "Well if he's not good enough, then who IS good enough? PC Chris? I don't play him, but I do play a bunch of good people from time to time but dont' combo them..." Anyhoo to cut this short and reiterate, it doesn't really matter who you're comboing as long as your audience can't pinpoint their skill some how.

Also, when you think you're done, don't post it, cause you might have missed something (I would change a few things if I could, but I'm to lazy to).

You asked a few question and you got a guide. I overwrite way to much -_-
I do admit that was a lot to read (for me), yet it was indeed useful. I'm saving this guide for when I eventually make a combo video, or any Smash gameplay vid for that matter.
I found the "making sure the opponet is any good" the most interesting. Not making it look too easy is something to remeber.

Hehe, I got a lot from a little question. XD

Spife

Smash Master
I do admit that was a lot to read (for me), yet it was indeed useful. I'm saving this guide for when I eventually make a combo video, or any Smash gameplay vid for that matter.
I found the "making sure the opponet is any good" the most interesting. Not making it look too easy is something to remeber.

Hehe, I got a lot from a little question. XD
True dat. On the opponent thing, you could be comboing your dog for all we care, just try and make sure we don't know that you are >.>

and,
"Skler : you should try and keep non-combo vid stuff to a minimum" to true (but I love that song! T.T)

Bummerz

Smash Apprentice
i skimmed threw it the first time and thought about posting. but i watched it from 0-7:34 right after so i could make a more... i guess fair comment. and i came up with the same opinion i got from skimming it

it was cool i guess... I'm sorry i don't mean for this to come out in a negative way even though it might so i apologize in advance.

to me it had the same problem as almost every other "combo" video sense the days that DBR put some **** up and everyone decided to start making their own combos vids. that is its all just jumbled clips thrown together that dosen't rely show us anything. majority of the clips were 3-5 secs long and looks like you recorded a million hours of fottage and just took some clips you thought were cool and put them together. i think clips that show how you play and sour skills are better than just jumbled combs. like the "duel of fates" combo vid. it shows rallys not rely random ****. so for your nex vid i hope its just another bunch of random combos from hours of fottage. so yeah thats just my opinion. but it is a combo vid so i guess thats how its supposed to be.

i had something else to add but i forgot... o wells laterz

not bad though for your first combo vid. good luck with the next one.

btw: i dident rely see you use your speed skills like you did in your speed vid

Spife

Smash Master
i skimmed threw it the first time and thought about posting. but i watched it from 0-7:34 right after so i could make a more... i guess fair comment. and i came up with the same opinion i got from skimming it

it was cool i guess... I'm sorry i don't mean for this to come out in a negative way even though it might so i apologize in advance.

to me it had the same problem as almost every other "combo" video sense the days that DBR put some **** up and everyone decided to start making their own combos vids. that is its all just jumbled clips thrown together that dosen't rely show us anything. majority of the clips were 3-5 secs long and looks like you recorded a million hours of fottage and just took some clips you thought were cool and put them together. i think clips that show how you play and sour skills are better than just jumbled combs. like the "duel of fates" combo vid. it shows rallys not rely random ****. so for your nex vid i hope its just another bunch of random combos from hours of fottage. so yeah thats just my opinion. but it is a combo vid so i guess thats how its supposed to be.

i had something else to add but i forgot... o wells laterz

not bad though for your first combo vid. good luck with the next one.

btw: i dident rely see you use your speed skills like you did in your speed vid

Eh, it's a combo video, not a "Look at me playing well some times" video. I'd argue that what you're talking about is more of a highlight reel, which I did my best to avoid.

@ the speed comment: lulz I didn't really see any wavedash skills either -.- I think I wave dash 3 times. Link doesn't need to move fast when comboing and a slow conservative Link is much better then a fast or aggressive one (I'm speed till I die though). Plus my Link's gotten slower :(

Spife

Smash Master
hey i was apart of this.. i feel special.. watching myself on a video for the first time was weird though.. was kinda cool though
I remember my first time *looks off into space and sighs*...
If I haven't uploaded matches I will soon, I have a bunch to upload, some of which are between us.

Also, I say during the holidays, a friend of mine and myself come down to you and Jam and whom ever else and we play some smash, I already mentioned this to Jam and he thought it was a good idea. I'd be bringing my friend cause he's my excuse for Disgaea *nods*.

The Dragon

Smash Journeyman
I remember my first time *looks off into space and sighs*...
If I haven't uploaded matches I will soon, I have a bunch to upload, some of which are between us.

Also, I say during the holidays, a friend of mine and myself come down to you and Jam and whom ever else and we play some smash, I already mentioned this to Jam and he thought it was a good idea. I'd be bringing my friend cause he's my excuse for Disgaea *nods*.
i think this is the greatest thing i've heard all day, i approve sir

Spife

Smash Master
You know, I hope every time you guys post you rate my combo vid a 5 and watch it...and plan on telling crazy grandpa stories to your grand children about that one link player named Spife

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
I liked this combo video because they were all practical for the most part. You didn't show many situational, or ridiculous combo's where people didn't bother DI'ing or some nonsense.

But where are the projectile comboooooooos.
I didn't count very many. xD

Spife

Smash Master
I liked this combo video because they were all practical for the most part. You didn't show many situational, or ridiculous combo's where people didn't bother DI'ing or some nonsense.

But where are the projectile comboooooooos.
I didn't count very many. xD
I personally like flashy situational combos (as it makes combos more epic). On the other hand, Link practically has no universal combos (like ken combo or dair shine combos as falco, not that both of those will work all the time no matter what) let alone combos that will work on characters every time you land that first hit.

Reverse angle boomerangs -> SCRAAAAAAAAAAAAAH didn't do it for you? Roman says luck but I bet some one could focus their metagame around it >.> albeit that would be a waste of a metagame imo

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
I personally like flashy situational combos (as it makes combos more epic). On the other hand, Link practically has no universal combos (like ken combo or dair shine combos as falco, not that both of those will work all the time no matter what) let alone combos that will work on characters every time you land that first hit.

Reverse angle boomerangs -> SCRAAAAAAAAAAAAAH didn't do it for you? Roman says luck but I bet some one could focus their metagame around it >.> albeit that would be a waste of a metagame imo
Reverse angle rang -> SCRAAAAAAAAAH was a combo that I was abusing within weeks of having the game. I DO hit it consistently, so it doesn't cut it for me anymore. xD

More epic things, like rang -> bomb -> arrow -> <insert epic move that shouldn't have hit here>. Now THAT is the flashy stuff that I personally work on and like to see from other Links. We don't have the opportunity to be flashy often, and that one aspect of Link's game that I consider to be flashy.

Spife

Smash Master
Reverse angle rang -> SCRAAAAAAAAAH was a combo that I was abusing within weeks of having the game. I DO hit it consistently, so it doesn't cut it for me anymore. xD

More epic things, like rang -> bomb -> arrow -> <insert epic move that shouldn't have hit here>. Now THAT is the flashy stuff that I personally work on and like to see from other Links. We don't have the opportunity to be flashy often, and that one aspect of Link's game that I consider to be flashy.
I'm not very projectile heavy in my play. Although my metagame changed for the bestter recently so we'll see next combo vid (which might come out sooner then I suggested in that wall of text earlier. Going to play a lot of smash very soon)

Top Bottom