• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm...working on something. Video's included.

Irsic

Smash Ace
This...obviously so far does not work on everyone. I have not tested every character, but it does occur, it is not always escapable, but it is escapable, but it will catch your opponents off-guard and you will probably get a kill if you pull it off.

I've been working on a simple grab-release tech to dtilt, fsmash. So far opponents that it can work on - Zelda, Peach, Charizard.

Does not work on Ness or Rob. Rob doesn't trip, and Ness gets too far away. If the Ness player improperly DIes though it becomes a possibility.

Here's a couple videos of my netting it on Peach twice and Charizard once. This player isn't bad, but he isn't absolutely amazing.

vs. Peach on SV - Happens at 3:16. Yes I know I could have just killed her by throwing her. I didn't want to do that. >_>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUb3IPt6iZg

vs. Peach on Yoshi's Island - Happens at 4:04. It does an assload of damage too, I just noticed as I'm editing this in. I'm pretty sure she went from 84% to 136% as she died.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKotebqjBBQ

vs. PT (Didn't work on Squirtle) on FD - 1:08 on Charizard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIScC9VmJKw

Go ahead and debunk this or whatever, but feel free to tinker with it. I haven't ever seen another Lucas player use it, I've never heard it talked about, but I really recommend trying it.

...P.S. Don't try it if your opponent is below like 60%. @_@

Edit: Oh, my opponent also gave imput saying that with Peach and Charizard, he didn't even stand a chance.

This list is a confirmed component to who it can possibly work on. Characters added have been tested, and of course as always, DI may always have an effect on how this GR works out.

List is under development still, and changes are definitely still going to happen. This is still quite a rough draft of a list.

Great - Almost always trips in one or two dtilts
Good - Lands well in your range and generally trips
Medium - These characters land in range of your dtilt
Trouble - These characters don't always seem to land in your dtilt range, and even when they do they escape fast enough
Never - These characters land completely out of dtilt range

Marth
Snake
Charizard
Ivysaur
Mario
Peach
Pikachu
Samus
Bowser
Falco
Fox
Ganondorf
Jigglypuff
Kirby
Link
Mr. Game & Watch
Olimar
Shiek
Toon Link
Wario
Wolf
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus
Donkey Kong
Lucario
Meta Knight
Squirtle
Captain Falcon
Diddy Kong
Ice Climbers
Ike
King Dedede
Lucas
Luigi
Ness
Pit
R.O.B.
Sonic
Yoshi

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
This looks really interesting. I constantly do the dtilt into forward smash but its nice to know that it can start with a grab release. Especially since Lucas does lots of damage with his grab hits. Nice find. :)

Also I call the dtilt thing Tornado Lucas!

Marceux

Smash Journeyman
It'd be nice if you included the times in the links to the videos.

I liked what I saw and maybe, just maybe this may get good, considering his down-tilt comes out ridiculously quick.

Irsic

Smash Ace
3 Frames I believe. I'll go back and add the times for everyone, since it IS the focus of this topic.

Irsic

Smash Ace
Yeah but grab release doesn't put them right next to you, the hits come out quickly so the chances aren't that low. Like I said, it isn't foolproof.

Irsic

Smash Ace
By knowing the character. I can't really give more info than that, but it's up to your skill. You have to know the timing, you have to know the placement for where dtilt starts to trip, and react fast. It's not that difficult to land once you get them to trip. The real problem is in lying how many hits before they trip, are they in range of your trip, and does your trip come out faster than your opponent recovers from grab release lag.

DI makes a difference as well, but those are facts that I still know nothing about. This is still something I'm investigating myself.

Unfortunately this is incredibly difficult to practice on CPU's because they just powershield half of your dtilts.

We all know actual people won't get that.

Edit: Screwing around, it's really easy to consistently do on a level 9 Snake. I know, level 9cpulols. @_@

Marceux

Smash Journeyman
After seeing the second match against the peach, I'm leaning towards the, "this may only work against n00bs" side of the argument, I dun know. She moved further away, and it could be DI or the stage. She also had the opportunity to jump / shield / whatever. Down Tilt, although coming out on frame three, has practically no hit-stun, so unless you trip on first hit, I wouldn't put myself in that sit to keep doing it. Why not grab-release, one d-tilt, hit if trip, run if not.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
if you have seen my most recent videos, then you know that i like to use dtilt a lot.
dtilt can stop slow attacks, like in the first video where it stops peach's fsmash.
the think is that the opponent can shield between dtilts, so sometimes the fsmash won't always work, but you can always grab again or sh nair to eat his shield
i'll definitely try this the next time i play

Irsic

Smash Ace
After seeing the second match against the peach, I'm leaning towards the, "this may only work against n00bs" side of the argument, I dun know. She moved further away, and it could be DI or the stage. She also had the opportunity to jump / shield / whatever. Down Tilt, although coming out on frame three, has practically no hit-stun, so unless you trip on first hit, I wouldn't put myself in that sit to keep doing it. Why not grab-release, one d-tilt, hit if trip, run if not.
Yeah, it seems to be based on improper DI and reaction to the grab release. Unless immediately trying to flee you can lock them in, if you get a trip on the first hit, it's golden.

I did get it to work several times on a really good Zelda player.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
this thing is awesome :D
it was the very first time i tried it and it worked :D
it was vs Metaknight :D (a good one)
and i only needed one dtilt to trip him :D
then i test it vs a Ness and a Lucas, but didn't work D:
the problem is to grab D:
now, at low % i can dthrow+utitl, at mid % grab release+dtilt+fsmash and at high % dthrow :D

Gates

Banned via Warnings
This is really cool. You should put up a list of everyone you've tested on for reference.

Right now you only have 3 characters that are relatively unrelated in their properties (weight, fall speed, I guess overall size is a factor but then why isn't ROB affected) so it's hard to predict what characters this can generally work on.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Risky since it'll always depend on which way your opponent DIs the grab release or if they are able to shield between Dtilts. But I'd say it's most likely pretty dependable on players who haven't experienced it before. It'd be good to get a secure list of characters it does and doesn't work on and maybe test with DI in either direction too just to see how escapable it is.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
i don't know how was my friend DIing with MK, but i just needed only one dtilt to make him trip, then, i used a ftilt, missed the fsmash
there's a replay of that fight, i'll tell him to upload that fight before the others

Irsic

Smash Ace
I recommend not trying this at all on Ike unless you want to die.

It's risky but opponents will..most likely not be expecting it.

I'll try to create a list of characters that It works well on, characters it can work on, and characters to not try it ever on.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Did you check if this was percentage dependant? As in higher percent = greater chance for dtilt to trip?

Irsic

Smash Ace
Yeah I'm pretty sure this isn't damage dependent but I find it much easier executed at higher percentage, and is more likely to net you the kill rather than having your opponent catch on before it's too late. You don't want them to survive and then know what to expect. :[

I'm glad you've found some good uses for this apc, hah. I've taken a minor break from Brawl right now to get my bearings. The more and more I play like I have been the worse I get. @_@

Hopefully through further testing we can get a good list going here. Most characters will be orange until proven that you can more than consistently get your hits in.

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
I'm playing friendlies with my crew tonight so ill try and add a couple of these into my play style and come back with the characters it seemed to work on

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
wow, I want to give this a shot now! cool find.

EDIT:

Kind of works on ganon and samus.

I think this copy of brawl is messed up...
...Luigi shoots across the stage out of grab release >_>

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
Ahh ok :) I can never tell since my original copy of brawl began to warp and I had to burn a fresh copy because the physics got WAYY messed up on my old disc.
ya luigi goes flying after being released out of a grab...its why he cant be chain grabbed

Edit: I went into group mode and tested the grab release range on all the characters tosee which ones were placed in range of dtilt. Heres a list of characters that are put in range f dtilt (remember this is WITHOUT any sort of DI)

Snake
Link
Donkey kong
Peach
Bowser
Wario
Shiek
Ganondorf
Toon link
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Kirby
Olimar
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Charizard
Ivysaur
Lucario (has a very low chance of tripping)
Jigglypuff
Marth (the first dtilt out of grab seemed to have an extremly high chance to trip him)
Mr Game & Watch

Irsic

Smash Ace
Some good stuff. A lot of those people are going into the orange section until proven better than that, though Marth is going into cyan section if that statement holds water.

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
Some good stuff. A lot of those people are going into the orange section until proven better than that, though Marth is going into cyan section if that statement holds water.
I usually did the grab realease 3 times per character, but i noticed that marth got tripped all 3 times so I did several more tests and of the total 10 tests i did he tripped 9 times on the first dtilt

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
I usually did the grab realease 3 times per character, but i noticed that marth got tripped all 3 times so I did several more tests and of the total 10 tests i did he tripped 9 times on the first dtilt
HA HA!

HELL YES. Thanks man. I know the Marth matchup to a ridiculous extent, and this is just awesome.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
ya luigi goes flying after being released out of a grab...its why he cant be chain grabbed

Edit: I went into group mode and tested the grab release range on all the characters tosee which ones were placed in range of dtilt. Heres a list of characters that are put in range f dtilt (remember this is WITHOUT any sort of DI)

Snake
Link
Donkey kong
Peach
Bowser
Wario
Shiek
Ganondorf
Toon link
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Kirby
Olimar
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Charizard
Ivysaur
Lucario (has a very low chance of tripping)
Jigglypuff
Marth (the first dtilt out of grab seemed to have an extremly high chance to trip him)
Mr Game & Watch
nice list :)
but i don't see MK there
and that thing about Marth sound nice

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
nice list :)
but i don't see MK there
and that thing about Marth sound nice
well when i tried mk he landed JUST out of range. I could be wrong, but I was going off of what i saw =P

Edit: I just did another test on marth. out of another 10 tests he tripped 9 times

Irsic

Smash Ace
****ing awesome find. Marth is getting greened.

I had the same problem with Meta Knight. Moved him to the sienna section.

Top Bottom