• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
...I think. Hylian, you wanna clear this up? I'm pretty sure this is the one he said, but he didnt' respond to my IM ><

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I put up the hint that he told me to, but I have no idea what it means :D

Btw, Anther picked up Sonic as his second. He's pretty **** good. I think there are some videos of his Sonic floating around on the intertubes somewhere. Likely on Ankoku's Youtube channel.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Let me do the hint next week if that's the case. They won't figure it out fast at all. :)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Also, we gonna have to delete this thread if that's the case and make the Fox one. XD

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The answer is Sonic not fox.

Why is misty? Should lead them to the gamefaqs melee board. On there, I have a topic titled: "Why is Misty?" In that topic the post says: "Looking for an Invasion From Beyond?". This clues them to search for the board Invasion from Beyond which is a basically dead back room on gamefaqs XD. On that board I made a topic called:"Look what Misty Found"
That topic says: "While looking next to a Sandbag"

If you look at the character battles on gamefaqs bracket, in division 8 Sandbag is right next to Sonic.

:).

Kel

Smash Master
^He's actually rather slow overall. He just has a very fast running speed. But that doesn't really make too much of a difference in Brawl :(.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
^He's actually rather slow overall. He just has a very fast running speed. But that doesn't really make too much of a difference in Brawl :(.
I beg to differ. There's a good Sonic player here named Espy who will run across the stage and grab you if you airdodge close to the ground. 3000 does this amazing dash dance type thing. He runs back and forth across a level and cancels his run with shield. One of every 3-10 times he does it he flies out with an aerial or side B. It's whack

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
SamuraiPanda spelled my name wrong :(.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It's a red herring XD

Sonic is mostly limited by his low priority. MK's d-tilt in place > everything Sonic has. :(

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
The running speed actually does allow you to do quite a bit with those dash attacks.

Jeff plays a mean Sonic, but you ultimately just hit him through his attacks and avoid his kill moves and you can beat it most of the time.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Pro Tip from Prime: Avoid kill moves and you can beat people most of the time.
Sonic has like, one. F-smash. His u-air and bair can also work, but you either have to be set up beforehand or completely brain dead to get hit with them. This makes it difficult.

I enjoy using tilts against Sonic, because the moment he starts his dash animation there is nothing he can do against them.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Sonic really hasn't much going for him. His only reliable killing moves are forward smash (comes out surprisingly fast) and sometimes bair. You can often just plow through whatever he comes at you with and even if he does get a hit in it's no big deal. Fine by me, Sonic is Snake's mortal enemy.

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
I have played against some decent Sonics and I think they are actually better played walking than running. Using spacing, Sonic can use tilts and forward smash to slowly approach/control space. It's more boring than running all over the stage, but effective. Once you have your opponent playing a more slow, paced game, then you can abuse the quick running speed for dash attacks and grabs. He is, by no means, top tier. But he really does have some decent options for racking up damage and his F-Smash comes out fast enough that once he's got you at a high percent, he can work effectively for a kill. BAir also comes out quickly and picks up a lot of kills.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
lawl@Mathos

I was just giving a summary, but I guess that's not quite up to Back Room standards. Let's stick with Overswarm's "He only basically has a couple kill moves to work with." I don't even find uair to kill effectively.

It's more the shield pressure that gets you with the dash attacks and spins strategy. Doesn't work on every stage though.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
At this stage, people are going to figure out who the character is no matter how tough you make the hint, there aren't many characters left. I could blindly guess without looking at the hint and have a one in seven chance of getting it right.

I've played multiple sonic players (Hella, Lucky and Mr 3000) and find that this matchup takes extremeeeee patience. Sonic has a few things that are going for him but I feel they are easily outclassed with patience. Also, Sonic isn't too bad at gimping, I've been gimped by him on several occasions as he drops down and back airs or does that forward air after I've already used my jump. I think patience beats out all his approaches and kill set ups, though.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
One thing I have found when playing my lil bro's anything-but-Metaknight is that Sonic running off the stage and then doing a rising fair THROUGH you and not hitting you with the final hit can be REALLY irritating. Especially if you hit them with the spring afterwards. It rarely seems to gimp in this game, but they lose a lot of height and get put in a bad position.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I beat Anther's Sonic, after being down a stock, because OS was standing right there and said "dastrn: don't move and hit down tilt."

It worked. Sonic is garbage.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
The last time I played Squared's sonic, was a few months ago, I pretty handily 3 stocked it. But I also had a lot of practice from playing against Rockcrock.

I like when Sonic's try to use their neutral B to recover, all you have to do is dodge and it sends them at a downward angle.

Past that, Sonic is pretty bad. Doesn't his dash attack go over Diddy Bananas, without picking them up. I think Prime told me that once.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Everyone's dash attack picks them up >_>

Sonic is basically a novelty character.

That said, he DOES do well at punishing simple mistakes. A good Sonic player will mess you up good if you play sloppy.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Put in Smash Balls and Sonic is top tier.

But really, I always felt like Sonic is one of those characters that benefits more than the other characters by having items on. Let's face it - most people will want to play Sonic to get the Smashball and destroy everyone with Super Sonic.

Taking that away, he's pretty much "eh."

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Sonic definitely is a top tier character with items on. He gets the items, they work for him, and they solve his KO problem.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
i used to think sonic was just awful, really light with non-efficient kill moves.

but then i realized that his style of play is just different, if you can utilize his moves fully than you really just fly around all fast, never getting in harms way. a slew of spin attacks and upB always gets you out of the action and confuses your opponent, but if you are consistently giving damage while always escaping, youll eventually win with some kill moves.

i see nifty sonic tricks people do, like where he spins at you, stops right in your face and grabs. also, just "fake" spin attacks, where they start then immediately stop to throw you off

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Sonic definitely is a top tier character with items on. He gets the items, they work for him, and they solve his KO problem.
Sonic might be better with the items on but there's no way he's top-tier.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
sonic runs fast but isn't fast at the same time

he's alright i guess - only the best of the best sonic players will ever accomplish anything because of his extremely low priorities...

underrated by the better players i think

Overswarm

is laughing at you
What does Mr. 3000 and the like do with him that is different? From what I've seen, all the "good" Sonic players do is no different than the "bad" Sonic players... the good sonic players just do it better and call their opponent on more.

It seems Sonic's entire game is based around punishment.

D

Deleted member

I think the best way to fight sonic is to throw out attacks as quickly as possible and to pretend his attacks don't exist. It works alarmingly well.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Sonic pretty much goes up about 2-3 tiers when playing on FD. His spindash -> Up-B -> d-air (autocancel) into dash attack/grab/smash attack is amazing, but only works on FD.

I think Sonic is underrated, for sure, but he's not THAT underrated.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I really think Sonic has potential against characters that have a good deal of start-up lag on their attacks as well as ending lag. Sonic is fast enough to really abuse the short startup lag on most smashes... He can dash grab many characters from a surprising distance without worrying about smash attacks. Tilts and jabs are generally fast enough to knock Sonic out of the way, but when your opponent is attempting to KO they very much have to rely on aerials. The old Melee trick of waiting until they land to grab them could work well for Sonic, as if even if he is punished by a tilt or jab it is unlikely the opponent can follow up with a KO move.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
The thing about Sonic though is that he's the only character I've witnessed that doesn't seem to be able to take back control of the match once they are thrown off. That's really vague I know but I'm not sure how else to sum it up. If you get him on his heels and continue to apply pressure he has few options as far as getting back on the offensive. Which is saying a lot in Brawl.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Synopsis:

While Sonic counters Inui, past that he does little else that someone doesn't do better. Sonic is a very fun character to play and has many unique attributes that certainly change the matchup, but these do not overcome his blatant weaknesses. As fast as Sonic's dash may be, his aerial mobility is not up to par and as such his moves are often telegraphed far in advance. This makes it difficult to land aerials on an opponent for a KO, forcing you to use his f-smash as his main KO move. While Sonic is a lot of fun, he isn't that great; he will more than likely be a character that will bring about the occasional surprise in tournaments but will rarely reach the upper levels.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
some guy named Dark Sonic almost beat my MK at Fast1 both friendlies because I couldn't punish spin dash lol. This past weekend however, Inui fought Blue (supposedly best sonic in NJ, or Kai, but most say it's Blue *shrug*) Inui said he SDd 5 times in the set but still won. He used Snake. That's all I know.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
A better synopsis:

Blue streak speeds by
Sonic the Hedgehog
Too fast for the naked eye
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic, he can really move
Sonic, he's got an attitude
Sonic, he's the fastest thing alive

Look out when he storms through,
Sonic the Hedgehog
Don't doubt what he can do
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic, he can really move
Sonic, he's got an attitude
Sonic, he's the fastest thing alive
He's the fastest thing alive
He's the fastest thing alive

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Sorry, I've been a bit busy recently. Totally missed this.

Everything after this post is general discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom