• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ChiboSempai's Guide To Hacking Your Wii: The Really Easy Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
ChiboSempai's Guide To Hacking Your Wii: The Really Easy Version

FAQs

There's already guides on this, why are you making one?
The other guides I've seen are quite long and sometimes complicating, and I've still had a countless number of people ask me to help them install Ocarina along with various codes. I'm aiming to make it as simple as possible.

What will this guide help me achieve?
This will software mod your Wii with the homebrew channel and have Ocarina setup so you can play Brawl with various codes running.

What Do You Need?

-A Computer with an SD slot
-Wii
-Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
-Wii Remote
-Nunchuk
-Classic Controller or Sensor Bar
-SD Card (Any size)
-Super Smash Bros. Brawl (If you want to run the included codes)

This guide is currently compatible only with US Wii's and codes pre-loaded only for US copies of Brawl.

This hack is even compatible with Wii's that have updated to the latest firmware released on October 23rd!

Installing The Hack

1. (Skip this step if you have played Twilight Princess on your Wii before) Take your copy of Twilight Princess, put it in your Wii, load it up to the title screen, then quit out to the Wii menu.

2. (Only do this step if you have played Twilight Princess before on your Wii and want to backup the save file so you don't lose it) Copy your save file of Twilight Princess from your Wii onto your SD card. Copy the contents of your SD file to your computer. Save it somewhere you won't forget, such as in a folder called Twilight Princess Backup in My Documents or on your Desktop.

3. Erase/backup the contents of your SD card to your computer so there's nothing on it. Download this zip file and extract it to your SD card. The SD Card should now have 4 folders and 1 file in it.

3. Erase any current Twilight Princess save files that may currently be on the Wii. Put the SD card in your Wii, and copy the Twilight Hack save file found on it to the Wii.

4. Load up Twilight Princess, use the first save file, and talk to the person in front of you. A black screen with text will come up, and when it asks you to accept or decline, keep hitting the 1 button on the Wii remote when at a prompt until the installation is complete and you are brought back to the Wii menu. You no longer need the Twilight Princess disc.

Done! That's it!

Running Brawl Hacks With Ocarina

1. Have the Brawl disc and the SD card with the files downloaded to it from step 3 of "Installing The Hack" (the previous section in this guide) inserted in your Wii.

2. Run the Homebrew Channel found on the Wii meny.

3. Load the Ocarina application found in the Homebrew Channel. Press A to load Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
By default with the files I supplied for your SD card you will have:
-Melee Airdodging
-L Canceling
-No Tripping
-Unlimited Length Replays
-Unrestricted Pause Camera

How Do I Change The Codes I Use On Brawl?

1. Download this zip file and unzip it to a folder on your computer. Store it somewhere you won't lose it. The application in this folder is what can change your codes on the SD card.

2. In the folder, open up codemgr. Once in the program, go to File > Open TXT File. Open up rsbe.txt in the Ocarina Code Manager folder.

3. To add a new code, click on Add a code/comment/category near the bottom left corner and give it a name. Click on the code in the left window. Paste the lines of code in the code contents window on the right. Click on a different code in the left window, and choose Yes on the prompt that comes up. Go to File > Save as TXT File, and overwrite your original rsbe.txt

4. To apply new codes to the SD card, insert the SD card into your computer, open up codemgr, and load rsbe.txt. Check which codes you want to save to your SD card, and choose Export to GCT at the bottom. Select the drive letter of your SD card, save it, and close the program. Next time you load Brawl on the Wii through Ocarina, it should use the new codes.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
That's nice and all but... I keep getting some error about boot.elf (-1) not being found or something.

Yes, there are no GC memory cards plugged in.

Yes, I'm sure the boot.elf file is in the root. Heck, I used the same thing to install the Opera Browser (first time), but when I tried to do THIS later I just keep getting the error. =[

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Format your SD card (this will delete all data on it), then copy the files back on there and try installing the hack again.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
Huh. Just as I was about to upload a Rapidshare file for a "premade" SD card. I have been defeated! ):

It also appears someone from my school has stolen my SD card overnight. *looks suspiciously at Chibo* Hahaha just kidding. :p

Revven

FrankerZ
I just want to let you know Chibo (you should also probably add this to your post) that if the application Ocarina DOES NOT work on the new HBC it is recommended to switch to Gecko OS because there's already a .dol file made by Link (since Ocarina is and has been discontinued). You may want to add the download link to the Gecko OS 1.07b here.

In other words, Ocarina will not work in Beta 9 if it is a boot.elf, it must be converted to a boot.dol (and no, this does not mean changing the file name). That is why it may be easier to just use the already converted Gecko OS 1.07b .dol file instead of having to go through ANOTHER step by step problem on how to convert Ocarina to a boot.dol file (or even trying to do it yourself and providing a download link). Besides, Gecko OS 1.07 > Ocarina for many reasons.

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
Okay so I did all this, as well as download the Homebrew Browser, but when I try to do either of them I get the error message "This is not a vaid Wii application". I formatted the memory card but they still don't work. I'm pretty lost and I can't seem to find any decent guides, I also got Gecko which seems to sort of work but I have no idea how to add any brawl codes with it. I don't really care which version I get working (gecko, ocarina, etc) I just want something to work.

Revven

FrankerZ
Okay so I did all this, as well as download the Homebrew Browser, but when I try to do either of them I get the error message "This is not a vaid Wii application". I formatted the memory card but they still don't work. I'm pretty lost and I can't seem to find any decent guides, I also got Gecko which seems to sort of work but I have no idea how to add any brawl codes with it. I don't really care which version I get working (gecko, ocarina, etc) I just want something to work.
Look at the post above you, sir. Replace your boot.elf with the download I linked to (this is for Gecko OS 1.07b if you're having problems with that). Ocarina WILL NOT work if it is not a boot.dol.

Finally, sounds like you need the code manager which is right here.

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
Well right now I've removed everything fancy from the OP's download and just have my original folders and apps --> homebrew browser in my SD card. No ocarina or gecko, just the browser as a first step. How do I get around the "This is not a valid wii application" error?

I tried separately to replace the boot.elf in the homebrew browser folder and the boot.elf in the ocarina folder with the one you supplied, and gets past the error onto a big blank screen with "Gecko OS" on top and nothing to do. It seems to override the original program so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Edit: So do I just ignore both homebrew browser and ocarina and fiddle around with your gecko OS, getting it to do stuff with that code manager? I'd like to be able to use the built-in codes of the initial download if possible.

Revven

FrankerZ
Well right now I've removed everything fancy from the OP's download and just have my original folders and apps --> homebrew browser in my SD card. No ocarina or gecko, just the browser as a first step. How do I get around the "This is not a valid wii application" error?

I tried separately to replace the boot.elf in the homebrew browser folder and the boot.elf in the ocarina folder with the one you supplied, and gets past the error onto a big blank screen with "Gecko OS" on top and nothing to do. It seems to override the original program so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Edit: So do I just ignore both homebrew browser and ocarina and fiddle around with your gecko OS, getting it to do stuff with that code manager? I'd like to be able to use the built-in codes of the initial download if possible.
Put Gecko OS 1.07b's boot.dol (the whole folder) into your apps folder in your SD Card. Don't bother with the Homebrew Browser, you don't need it RIGHT now. The download he gave you should have a file called "RSBE01.gct" with the codes he said it has. Create a sub folder in your SD Card called "codes" and put the "RSBE01.gct" into there.

There! You can now use his premade codes. Now load up Gecko OS 1.07 in your Homebrew Channel and click "Launch Game" and BAM! The codes he gave you should work. If you want to make your own .gct (code list) for Brawl, I suggest checking out Makkun's Guide because it includes the steps to using the PC code manager application.

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
Okay, done and done.

I still get stuck on a blank Gecko OS thing... a black box surrounded by blue with "Gecko OS" over the top and a small green gecko symbol in the corner. I don't see any launch game button and all I can do is hold down the off button until the wii forces itself to shut down. I waited for several minutes but nothing's happening.

Sorry about all the trouble, I've never messed with this particular form of hacking/modding before, no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Edit: Took out the GameCube memory cards while on the Gecko OS screen and it fixed it. Heh, alright, sorry about that then.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Thanks a lot, but I have a question.

When I go to the Homebrew Channel, it loads and everything, but when I try to load the Ocarina application, it says

"Error: This is not a valid Wii application."

What is that supposed to mean?
EDIT: ^^do the above comments fix my problem?^^

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a lot, but I have a question.

When I go to the Homebrew Channel, it loads and everything, but when I try to load the Ocarina application, it says

"Error: This is not a valid Wii application."

What is that supposed to mean?
EDIT: ^^do the above comments fix my problem?^^
Yes same problem. Get the Gecko OS version the guy above me posted and replace Ocarina with it. Then unplug any gamecube memory cards. Apparently.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
Not to steal your thunder, Chibo, but I've made my own "Easy Hacking Guide" and put it in my existing tutorial. One reason is because I had been planning on doing this in the first place, but was busy and had my SD card stolen, and second, because it doesn't make sense to have two tutorial threads on one forum.

I don't take credit for making an "easy" tutorial, nor did I even reference your guide or use your files in my own guide.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Sorry everyone, I was not aware that the Ocarina application does not work with the new version of the HBC, I use the older version myself (no need to update since I didn't update my system).
I'll update it soon

-!-

Smash Lord
this is gonna come in handy i my next tourney for unlimited replays... is it updated???

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer
It fascinates me that people bump ancient threads to say nothing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom