• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Tourney in Kirksville, MO

Cook

Smash Master
We will be hosting (ir)regular Brawl tournaments in Kirksville, MO at 809 E. Pierce.

The latest tournament was Nov. 15. We accidentally erased the brackets, but the results were something like this:

Singles: 18 entrants

First: Arkivezero---Link
Second: 8-bit----------Kirby
Third: Fino-----------Olimar
Fourth: Jordan--------Game and Watch
Fifth: MuBa----------Snake
Fifth: Joker----------Snake

Doubles: 8 teams

First: Joker and Schism
Second: Arkive and 8-bit
Third: Cook and Nicole
Fourth Kit and Jordan

Videos will be up whenever Joker gets to them.

Thanks to everyone who came! The date for the next tournament is TBA.

General Info

We will have Brawl singles and doubles for sure, with a possibility for Melee if there is enough interest.

Kirksville is about 3 hours from St. Louis, only 1.5 hours from Columbia (anyone here go to Mizzou?), and (I think) about 3 from Kansas City. It's about 2.5 hours from Des Moines, and I think about 3.5 to 4 from Omaha. Anyway, it's within driving distance of a lot of places, and gas is cheap right now.

Tournament Cost:

10.00 for Singles
20.00 per Team
For Melee
10.00 for Singles
10.00 per Team

For Melee Only.
If not both(Because of the time), is going to be either Doubles or Singles depending which one Melee people want more.

Split:
The house is taking 5%, the rest will be split like so.
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%
Same for Melee

Rules:
-3 Stock

- 8 minute timer

-Items are set to "off" and "none"

-All sets will be best of 3 matches. The Finals (Losers/Winners/Grand) will be best of 5.

-In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

-No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

-In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

-If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

-Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

-If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

-You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

-Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

Rules for Double's:
-Life Stealing is allowed

-Team attack ON

-Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stage Striking: Players take turns striking stages from the starter list until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counterpicked later in the set.

Double-blind pick: This means that all participating players must tell a judge the character they will use for that game. Each player is required to use that character in the game.

Melee Rules:
Well you should know them already but is mostly the same exept 4 stocks for singles and doubles.

Neutral Stages:.................................................. ................................Melee Neutral Stages:
- Battlefield....................................... ..................................................-Battlefield
- Final Destination....................................... ..........................................-Final Destination
- Yoshi's Island............................................ .........................................-Yoshi's Story
- Pokemon Stadium 1................................................. .............................-Pokemon Stadium
- Battleship Halberd........................................... ....................................-Dream Land(N64)
- Smashville........................................ .................................................-Fountain Of Dreams(Banned For Doubles)
- Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks:.................................................. ...................................Melee Counterpicks:
-Luigi's Mansion........................................... ..........................................-Brinstar
-Delfino Plaza............................................. ..........................................-Corneria
-Pirate Ship.............................................. ...........................................-Great Bay(For Doubles Only)
-Norfair........................................... ..................................................-Green Greens
-Frigate Orpheon........................................... .......................................-Jungle Japes
-Skyworld.......................................... .................................................-Mute City(Banned For Doubles)
-Pokemon Stadium 2................................................. ..............................-Rainbow Cruise
-Port Town Aero Dive.............................................. ...............................-Kongo Jungle(N64)
-Castle Siege............................................. ...........................................-Mushroom Kingdom II(For Doubles Only)
-Distant Planet............................................ ...........................................-Poke Floats
-PictoChat
-Hanenbow(For Doubles Only)
-Jungle Japes
-Onett
-Corneria
-Rainbow Cruise
-Green Greens
-Brinstar
-Yoshi's Island (Pipes)

Banned:
-75m
-Big Blue
-Bridge of Eldin
-Flat Zone 2
-Green Hill Zone
-Hyrule Temple
-Mario Bros.
-Mario Circuit
-Mushroomy Kingdom I
-Mushroomy Kingdom II
-New Pork City
-Rumble Falls
-Shadow Moses
-Spear Pillar
-The Summit
-Wario Ware

Folks to call for directions/info: Andrew---(660)341-8535
Kit---(816)805-5175
Jordan---(816)863-9984

LouBega

Smash Journeyman
i talked to some people who know some things and we can't use a room in the sub or anything unless we reserve it as part of an organization. which we're not a part of. we could go to the cga to do this but i doubt they would organize something that has cash prizes. also, they're already doing a brawl tourny on the 22nd (no moneys though).

edit: kit beat me to it.

Cook

Smash Master
andrew i think we should probably plan this out a little further before we make topics about it.

i talked to some people who know some things and we can't use a room in the sub or anything unless we reserve it as part of an organization. which we're not a part of. we could go to the cga to do this but i doubt they would organize something that has cash prizes. also, they're already doing a brawl tourny on the 22nd (no moneys though).

edit: kit beat me to it.
I'm just trying to gauge interest. Anyway, we may just do it at Kit's place.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
If this is on the 15th, Wichita might be able to make it. Oklahoma is hosting a huge tri-state tournament on the 22nd.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
St. Louis could attend either weekend. I'll try to get an interested headcount.

Fino

Smash Master
Sooner rather than later would be good. Personally I'd like it to start as early as possible XD, but then again you're talking to the sucker who is used to waking up every morning at 5:30 to get to school... :-/

~Fino

Cook

Smash Master
If people are going to travel, then we probably can't start too early. I think that starting at one may be a good idea, but I encourage people to show up early for friendlies.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
It looks like Wichita won't be able to come and completely dominate this tournament.

Next time for sure :)

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
I might come, but I have the problem that it's a 3h drive from Iowa City (I go to the U of Iowa) to the tourney. I might be able to get some friends to drive, but it's iffy. So, anyone else from this area going?

dark-war-cloud

Smash Journeyman
I'll be there.
I don't reallly know what level of competetiveness there is going to be, because last time i went for melee, i got wrecked by a lot of people.
Brawl kinda evened out the playing field for me, I thinks.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
also, kit will have sex with you if you come????!!!!!!????!!!!!
I have so many apologies to make to people for the last two days.
But, I don't just proposition to anyone.

It is important everyone and anyone comes. There will be floor space for people to sleep across two houses.

Cook

Smash Master
I think we've got enough setups, but if one or two people want to bring setups, then that may be useful.

Cook

Smash Master
Also, whoever is coming should start RSVPing to make sure that we don't start without you if you're a little late, and so that we can get an idea of how many are coming/what preparations we need to make, etc.

LouBega

Smash Journeyman
I'll be there.
I don't reallly know what level of competetiveness there is going to be, because last time i went for melee, i got wrecked by a lot of people.
competitiveness? it will be huge. at least in doubles!

Cook

Smash Master
I'll be there.
Oh, I meant to respond to this post when it first came up, but I forgot to. Anyway, when did you come up here for a Melee tourney? Chances are some of the people you played are gone now. Still, I'd say there are about 3-5 of us who are pretty decent at Brawl, so it shouldn't be a walk in the park for you unless you're just really freakin' good, but if you're any good you should have a chance at doing alright. Like you said, Brawl kind of evens out the playing field for a lot of people, so you may have a better shot this time around. Bring friends, though!

Cook

Smash Master
do the 22nd and i will go.

that weekend or w/e
Sorry, but our school is having a tournament the 22nd, so we don't want to compete with that, and there is also a tournament in Des Moines that we'll probably be at that day. Hopefully you can come to our next one!

Top Bottom