• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Style of Playing Ike Guide. (Updated Nov. 4th, 2008)

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord

[Introduction]

Hello, my name is RoK, an acronym for my smash name "Realest of Killers". So, I'm Realest of Killers the Reaper, also known as RoK the Reaper. I have tried to write many guides for Roy, all of which were badly critiqued and FAILED pretty **** hard because of my attitude. I have attempted to make a guide here, for Smashboards. That, as well, was an EPIC Failure. So now, I'm going to constantly write and update this with how to play my way. If you don't like my way; You're free to either. A) Stop reading this Guide. B) Find a better Guide. C) Act like an idiot and flame me needlessly. Either way, I will continue to update my guide for the benefit of myself. [Should I quit for a period of time and come back] or for the benefit of others that like my way of fighting. So, here it is.

Additional Note: You'll find that my style is mostly aggressive and taking advantage of high pressure situations (Since I'm better when I have to be, versus when I don't need to be) and a lot of "theories" I have as to how I can control the situation with aggression. I know that this sometimes destroys me against waity/campy and highly defensive people, but as I change and get better aquainted, so will my style guide.

[Lesson#1: Basics]

Okay. I've found that there is an application for each move that is best used against everyone. Within the detailed character match-up, I'll do this more and more for my findings as to what works best on each character; and what doesn't seem to be as good from my own experiences. But, Let's go ahead and list throws, specials, smashes, aerials, and tilts.

Jab + Tilts

AAA Combo: Ike's fastest move, good for opening, spamming (when nothing else works) and for primarily attempting to begin some type of combo. Jab > Grab is mostly what I use this application for. Though, I find I can always switch it up.

F-Tilt: Alternative killer to the F-Smash, I find it to be faster and more useful since it can be angled depending on where you want to use it. Also, good move to spam for spacing, and I don't find it as easily punishable as an F-Smash would be.

D-Tilt: I hardly ever use this shiz. I mean, seriously. I use it when I tell myself, 'Y'know what, You need to use it" besides that, it's a mediocre spiker, and doesn't kill unless you can connect with the Hilt of the sword really, not even good in my opinion for building up damage. If Link/Ganon/Captain Falcon or somethin accidentally miss the edge, it's a spike; besides that, garbage.

U-Tilt: Love it with the "Viper" Combo, or whatever it is. And also good with the Jab>U-Tilt thing. I mostly use it when people are under me on platforms, or I'm trying to get a quick, high damage kill, otherwise I prefer the Up-Smash to this.

Aerials..So up high..

F-Air: To be honest, this is my most spammed move ever. I know some people use N-Air, but I prefer this. It has good range, I can do it retreating (Is it just me, or does it slide a little afterward?) and can be used twice in one (Off a platform, or from the stage to off-stage).

B-Air: This move can be used in so many situation in my opinion. Out of shield, when they are going to roll away from you on a platform, when you're running up and you Reverse Aerial Rush it, when you are edge-guarding. I can't stress enough the *** kickery of this move.

N-Air: I consider this to be my most used move when it comes to combo-starting and the very beginning of the match. N-Air to AAA, N-Air to grab, N-Air to U-tilt. But, I start noticing I use it less and less as the match progresses. I probably need to change that; I see a lot of other good Ikes, besides myself, continue to use this; even at high percents. It has very little lag; And if i can learn to use it from edge-Stage I'll have a perfect weapon fo destruction.

U-Air: Well, I use this a bit wierdly in some respects. Of course, I use it for it's obvious uses. Hitting someone when they're falling, or when they're on a platform and trying to roll from one side. Because you can get hit by this move because of how LONG it is (I hope you can understand me, it's like the blade moves around like a helicopter or osmething) I sometimes use it and fast-fall to hit big characters, or I'll jump away from them in a short hop, U-Air and hold back, so the back part can knock them up and I can B-Air or follow up afterwards. But all in all, I don't find myself using this alot.

D-Air: Spikerific. B-Throw to D-Air, F-Throw to D-Air, when they're trying to get up from the stage, you can spike; or just basic air interception. Also, if you can hit them at 0% to knock them down by not cause em' to fall, I can combo off of this. Also, if you full jump and do it; it has no lag and can be performed twice in one jump; even over ground. But only can hit tall chars if you use this method. >_>; I use this crap against Snake a LOT eats shield like you wouldn't believe.

Smashes, Don't you love em?<3

U-Smash: This thing can be "Hyphen Smashed". Which is, I guess, running and Smashing and sliding a bit when you do it. I learn that it gets the most slide when you run from a neutral position them immediately smash after the dash; rather than running and smashing; better for surprising that way. Also, if you can guess how someone will roll, or if you knock em' down near a ledge and they have no where to go; the range EATS THEIR ANUS. Also, I "Reverse Hyphen Smash" a lot, when I know someone will dodge, such as if they're thrying to recover from the edge. They mess around and actually get hit from the back of it.

D-Smash: Again, this is a move that I hardly use. (D-Tilt, now D-Smash, I must don't like "Down" moves very much =[ ). However, I really see it as more practical than the D-Tilt. The back part appears to be the strongest part, which means that you need to try to intentionally miss and hit with the back (can you anti-roll?). If you're in a high match game and you need to try and kill; more than likely I haven't used this move, so I whip it out at that time.

F-Smash: The ONE HIT COMBO. This is by far, one of the strongest, if Not the strongest Smash Attack in the Game. This thing kills at very low percents, and because of this a lot of people say Ike is cheap and try to use it as an argument as a testiment to ALL of his moves. A lot of people spam this in hopes of low-kills, and a lot of people I've seen have tried to use it as their whole strategy. This is my "Deal Breaker" move as I call it. When I'm in a tight, I break out this bad boy to try and even the score. Because I hardly ever F-Smash AT ALL in the game; It's usually strong, even when I'm in 100+ damage. When I'm dead and come back, they're low damage and one stock ahead of me, this is what I turn to. If they mess up with a high lag move and miss, Punish em'. This is what Ike is KNOWN for. However, don't abuse it. I've learned to move past this and the AAA jab combo.

Throw-Down

F-Throw: This thing is the primary throw. I find it better if I use this directly after grabbing. Such as N-Air, Jab, Grab > F-Throw. So I can follow up with another grab or maybe I can run past them and pivot grab; or something around to that extent. I find this also good when I need to throw them off stage, wait for em' to grab the edge; then edge-guard accordingly.

B-Throw: I find this move to be somewhat confusing in it's use. I mean, Yeah; I do it, but only to really gain ground (as in, keeping the middle of the stage to myself) or trying a desperation manuever (which is B-Throw to D-Air Spike). That's about the only time I even think to use this move, or maybe I can B-Throw to QuickDraw or something. I use this move, but have no reason WHY I would use this move.

D-Throw: You can play off of this so many ways. In the very beginning, D-Throw to Aether was the SHIZ. But now, it isn't. People immediately air dodge to avoid any pain; but you can take advantage of that. The D-Throw > Aether works at times, but you can also D-Throw to U-Air, D-Throw to U-Tilt, D-Throw to F-Air, etc. etc. I've learned that you gotta pay attention to patterns and the way they D.I. in order to follow up after this.

U-Throw: SUCKS. Seriously, well, unless you're like on battlefield or something and knock em' up to the platform and follow up with a U-Air, cause that pwns. Otherwise, this is basically to throw them off and try to get lucky. NO ONE uses this throw. So. I guess it's good for diversity?

Awww, you're so SPECIAL

Nuetral B (Eruption): I use this move for a variety of different reasons. #1 - This is when I'm high damage and falling from the air; I use the move so no one wants to get near me as I'm falling towards the edge to grab it; everyone knows it has super Armour so they would prefer you get back on the stage before you use this. #2 - Super armor frames! #3 - Edge-guarding (I realize that it can sometimes hit below and stage-spike them before they make it, or they will get up; hit you and then the attack goes through :D).

Quickdraw: Eh, I use this in a few ways. Primarily, it's for getting around the stage quicker so I can either U-Tilt or U-Smash. In all honesty, when someone is high damage; I spam this crap. It's funny cause people will begin to block, when they notice their shield is being eaten they will continually spot dodge. And I'll just sit there and sit there, and sit there and sit there. Really for eating up time. xD

Aether: Racks up damage, good edge-guarding. Super-Armour frames and Anti-Edge guarding. Bad for Edge-Hoggers and good for aerial people; I must say. This thing *****. It's like Final Cutter 3.0

Counter: I love this move. I happen to use it to A) Deflect Attacks B) Stop projectiles (Such as Aura Sphere and Samus' Charge shot). C) To halt myself from falling to the stage so fast. :D, So many uses For this bad boy.

[Lesson#2: Basics (Advanced)]

Well, once I understood the basic functions of every move, I decided that I should learn how to use the basic moves in ways that prohibited me to get more out of them. In that; I found basic uses that could be applied to all characters. The True Strength of these take places in character-to-character match-up. But for now, these are my basic advanced basic functions.

Jab + Tilts (Advanced)

Jab, AAA: The Jab combo is one of Ike's primary moves in my opinion. In this, you're able to AAA and out comes three hits; good stuff right? However, you can also do other things, like Crouch Cancel. Basically, you're going to hit AA, and then hold down so that Ike basically "Resets" himself. Within this, you're going to push AA again to have him do the first few, then again and again. It's possible to open up at 0% like this. A>AA>AAA. Giving you around a good 20%-30% damage as it opens up.

Also it's my favourite "Jab>Grab" combo. Basically, you jab once, or twice; then wait a second and grab them. I find it better with a singular jab but if the damage is low enough; you can also AA and then grab. You will not believe how much this ***** some characters, because it's really nothing they can do about. Everyone can really shield this or hit you before you get your grab in; but they're so used to Ike going "AAA" all the time with no variety, they don't care enough to try and hit you or spot dodge, and are instead trying to shield and set up their D.I., so they fall right into our grasps!

The other thing is Jab to other moves, such as F-Smash , U-Smash, U-Tilt and F-Tilt. Primarily these are to catch people off guard or eat up shield. I don't care as both of them are just as good (unless I'm trying to get a kill, then eating shield is a no-no). Jab to F-Smash will hardly ever connect, but eat sup mad shield; and if you hold the smash, then they will try to spot dodge/attack and you'll most likely hit them. For some reason, people don't t hink to roll when they're in this situation to avoid it all together, but that's good for us right? Jab to U-Smash is good for people that roll, always hold this for a second just incase of that; also good for eating up shield and pushing them away to gain a little space if you're on the edge. Jab to U-Tilt is good at low damage, or even when they're very high damage. Solid Killer, and solid early combo potential. One of my fav combos is, Jab>U-Tilt>Up+B. Eats their *****. Last but not least, Jab to F-Tilt. Jab to F-Tilt is a move I primarily try FIRST. Because this is not a shield eating move, it's more of a killer and edge-guard setter upper. Soo, if this fails they will expect something like this next time; so I use F-Smash and U-Smash in that situation; since it's hard to punish me since I push you away at close range.

F-Tilt: It's vital to learn how to control the angling of the F-Tilt. Whether it's up, or down. You can easily intercept someone when they are trying to get back on the stage; hit someone that's dropping down through a platform. Hell, if their shield is low enough and they're angling it upwards; you can either clip their feet and hit them anyway. Spacing is vital, and because this covers so much; it can be used to stay back and keep an opponent back. But angling is a big thing here and can drastically improve so much of your game.

DASH ATTACK!: Dash attack is wierd. It has more range than you think it does. The best thing to do with this is tech chase and knock someone off of the stage; and sometimes you do a wierd thing where you'll hit em behind you and they fly up in the air (WTF?). But, dash attack is good for keeping range; and forcing someone off the stage for an edge guard. You normally want to do this after a AAA combo, or a tilt that knocks them on the ground not too far away from you. Avoid doing this after an F-Throw because they're liable to block it and then shield grab you. Resulting in saying. "Why the hell did I do this?"

Aerials..So up high.. (Advanced)

F-Air: There's really nothing I consider advanced. It's learning the minimum amount of space needed for the tip of the sword to hit an opponent. You can hardly be punished by anyone accept metaknight and maybe DDD's grab or something. I find that this treating; Full-Jump Canceled (Yeah, I call it when you full jump and do this a Full Jump cancel) and hold back, you'll slide a bit and can immediately F-Smash back in the direction you're sliding, or the original way you F-Air'd. Also, full-jumping this makes it a lot easier for you to setup edge-guards, or hit someone through a platform with no lag.

Because F-Air is also a good killer, you're going to find that this is not true in my fighting style. F-Air is used so much that it's really null and good for combo'ing by the time you kill their first stock. Why you want to null F-Air is that they don't fly back as much, which sets up good combo-ability; but once you see it fading and want it to get stronger, swhich over to the N-Air for a little bit. Okay? :D (Also recommended is that his move be fast felled)

B-Air: By performing this move as soon as you leave the ground, it's able to be "Auto-Canceled" which is basically lagless. This move HURTS has good range and comes out very fast. The Key for this move in advanced play is that you're going to need to learn to RAR, Auto-Cancel and use it OOS (Out of Shield).

Back-Air is what can make Ike fast and a force to be reckoned with. The Keys to a fast Ike is AAA, Auto Canceled-B-air, and N-Air. You must learn to Auto-Cancel and use out of shield at all cost. Practice this, B-Air can be spammed to no end and will not lose it's touch. Also, if someone is trying to recover, you Can RAR (So you go off stage) jump and then F-Air them; they'll either A) Hit the bottom of the stage and get spiked B) Get knocked back on stage and you follow up, Or C) You can just forget the F-Air and go right for the edge hog; if they do a recovery move that makes them land on stage, edge hop back on stage, grab em' and throw em' off with the B-Air and go for the D-Air.

N-Air: Neutral Air, The combo starter. This move has virtually no lag and is recommended that you FAST FALL. This move. You can spam it like crazy and use it from any point in the air since you're going to have the same lag no matter where you do this anyway. A lot of good things come from nuetral air, even kills when you're higher percent. Also, a good thing you can do, or try; is to N-Air them so the BACK of the move hits them so you can immediately B-Air them afterwards. Or RAR N-Air (Kinda tricky for this to actually hit) and then B-Air them.

Learning this move, when to use it at the right time is vital to a good Ike's speed.

Smashes, Don't you love em?<3 (Advanced)

U-Smash: The main thing about this is the reversed Hyphen Smash. Basically, by doing the same thing as the reverse aerial rush; but instead of Jumping and Aerialing, you're going to Up-Smash. This destroys a lot of people who dodge and timing because you will still get hit by this.

Anotehr reason this is so good is that if you *** > U-Smash, you can push opponents back and away. This is very good if you're trying to gain space. Up Smash also covers a long range and it hits all around Ike; it's good for people attempting to roll, and evn those that are just now getting back on the stage. After throws, you can also U-Smash and hold it and most have no choice but to get hit by it.

Don't forget that you can push forward and Up on the C-Stick to slide and smash a good distance. It's ver nice when trying to sneak this move in on a falling opponent or to "Tech chase" those people that are rolling away on the ground after a hit has connected and you're looking to hit them the moment they lose their rolling invunerability.

F-Smash: As far as F-Smash, there isn't a lot you can do but learn a few walking and spacing techniques. Such as, if you jump up in one direction and immediately hold back, you'll slide a little bit upon hitting the ground. This isn't as apparent with Ike but it is with characters such as Link. Now, if you do this with Ike and immediately smash in the opposite direction, you'll slide a small bit and perform your smash; It's situational but it helps a lot when you're trying to out range someone.

Another thing about the F-Smash is it eats shield, and even if you don't charge it up; it can kill at a low percentage. If you got them at a low damage and trying to add more damage; eat their shield with this and then go on the offensive. People are more likely to attempt to spot dodge and fight back in a cornered situation if they're worried about regaining their shield so it won't be destroyed.

Another thing about F-Smash is taking control of people's bad habits. One of which is that usually, upon you dying and coming back, they (your enemies) will be dodging a lot so I found that it's easy to take advantage of this. They will stand near you for a second on their shield; then more than likely roll BEHIND you; hardly ever do they dodge in the direction you're facing. So if you F-Smash in the opposite direction upon coming back, normally it will hit them; and if damage is high enough, destroy them.

neon..?

Smash Journeyman
lol do you know how much RoK hate was in that thread all it was was flaming him.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I've hit falco out of his side B with dtilt (he was recovering) and out right killed him at 60% with the sour spot.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Good guide I must say. You seem to have a good grasp on Ike's metagame. (The whole Jab + F-Smash thing is kinda murky, but eh, whatever works...)

Clarification: Ike's F-Smash is the 2nd strongest f-smash move in the game. D3's F-Smash beats Ike's by 5%.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
I actually enjoyed the Up Throw... :<

Since the throw sends them up lower than the Down Throw, you can actually follow up with a F-Air, delayed Up Smash, or some sort of funny chaingrab due to horrid DI...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Looks good so far...and I just wanted to say in your other thread, I wasn't calling you a n00b, I just wanted to spark some interest in you to get you to fight me.

Although I don't know anything about your past, you seem promising for the moment.

XACE-K

Smash Master
U-throw sucks!? It's awesome. U-throw-> Read DI-> U-air = Awesomeness

It's certainly better than D-air to Up-B. >_>

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
Good guide I must say. You seem to have a good grasp on Ike's metagame. (The whole Jab + F-Smash thing is kinda murky, but eh, whatever works...)

Clarification: Ike's F-Smash is the 2nd strongest f-smash move in the game. D3's F-Smash beats Ike's by 5%.
Doesn't Snake's fsmash have more knockback or something like that?

I thought Ike's did more %, but Snake more knockback, and D3 tops them both in both categories

correct me if I'm wrong please

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Doesn't Snake's fsmash have more knockback or something like that?

I thought Ike's did more %, but Snake more knockback, and D3 tops them both in both categories

correct me if I'm wrong please
Ike kills the average middleweight (Mario) with F-Smash at the middle of FD at 60%.
Snake kills at 65%.
DDD kills at 55%.

icedragon-

Smash Rookie
Very nice guide. Ike's QD is good for recovering from the top left or right corners of the map. I liked how went in depth on your descriptions.

Keep up the good work!

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Very nice guide. Ike's QD is good for recovering from the top left or right corners of the map. I liked how went in depth on your descriptions.
No it's not.

I should really start a count in my sig of how many people come to these boards thinking QD can be a good recovery....

Top Bottom