• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar's chaingrab discussion

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Since dangr just made his thread about horizontal vs vertical comboing and it brought up some questions about oli's chaingrab, I figured I'd make this since we've never had a formal thread about it.
Oli's chaingrab works on only a few chars, but it can dish out a good 20-30% I believe on some like fox.

Olimar has a couple chaingrabs. These are from the top of my head. I'm sure there's more.

-dthrow>grab: I don't know the exact numbers, but I'd guess that you can dthrow>grab around 3-4 times on the spacies. Maybe 2-3 on some of the large characters such as DDD, and if your opponent isn't a spacey or a heavy, and they don't jump, you can dthrow>grab once before they realize that they need to jump out of it.

-dthrow>fsmash>grab: this also works on the spacies at low percents. It's best to use it when they DI towards you. You can fsmash and regrab them. It will never work on floaty characters like Samus.

-dthrow>fair>grab: works on the heavy characters pretty well. I don't think it's a true combo, but it's hard to get the timing down pat to avoid the second grab, unless you're used to it.

-dthrow>run underneath them>pivotgrab: It's flashy, and it's useful if your back is to the edge of the stage when you grab them. You just pivotgrab so you can combo them off the stage. It works well on the heavies and spacies.
Post any information on what characters can be chaingrabbed and how many times from 0%. I'll list the info on this first post.

Chain grab results against an enemy attempting to jump out (I also want to test against someone trying to Up-B later...)

Mario: 3 grabs
Luigi: 3 grabs
Peach: 1 grab
Bowser: 4 grabs
Donkey Kong: 3 grabs
Diddy Kong: 3 grabs
Yoshi: 3 grabs
Wario: 1 grab
Link: 3 grabs
Zelda: 1 grab
Sheik: 3 grabs
Ganon: 3 grabs
Toon Link: 1 grab
Samus: 1 grab
Zero Suit: 2 grabs
Pit: 2 grabs
Ice Climbers: 1 grab (Nana hits you after more than one)
ROB: 1 grab
Kirby: 1 grab
Meta Knight: 1 grab, although the window is tiny, it's easy to get up to 3 unless MK times perfectly
DeDeDe: 3 grabs
Olimar: 1 grab
Fox: 4 grabs
Falco: 3 grabs
Wolf: 3 grabs
Captain Falcon: 3 grabs
Pikachu: 3 grabs
Squirtle: 2 grabs
Ivysaur: 2 grabs
Charizard: 3 grabs
Lucario: 1 grab
Jigglypuff: 1 grab
Marth: 1 grab
Ike: 3 grabs
Ness: 2 grabs
Lucas: 3 grabs
Game and Watch: 2 grabs
Snake: 4 grabs (5? Someone who's better at it should test this)
Sonic: 3 grabs

Characters with fast Up-B's (Game and Watch, Sonic, etc), can get out 1 jump earlier, generally. I'll test everyone with Up-B later. Also, I'm no pro at the Oli chain grab, so if someone better finds any wrong results, please let me know :)
white's can usually get you an extra throw as they rise in percents, so i have noticed (being one of the first to use this ^^)
Also, purples usually screw it up due to lack of reach, or too much knockback.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Olimar has a couple chaingrabs. These are from the top of my head. I'm sure there's more.

-dthrow>grab: I don't know the exact numbers, but I'd guess that you can dthrow>grab around 3-4 times on the spacies. Maybe 2-3 on some of the large characters such as DDD, and if your opponent isn't a spacey or a heavy, and they don't jump, you can dthrow>grab once before they realize that they need to jump out of it.

-dthrow>fsmash>grab: this also works on the spacies at low percents. It's best to use it when they DI towards you. You can fsmash and regrab them. It will never work on floaty characters like Samus.

-dthrow>fair>grab: works on the heavy characters pretty well. I don't think it's a true combo, but it's hard to get the timing down pat to avoid the second grab, unless you're used to it.

-dthrow>run underneath them>pivotgrab: It's flashy, and it's useful if your back is to the edge of the stage when you grab them. You just pivotgrab so you can combo them off the stage. It works well on the heavies and spacies.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Sweet, that's good info to know. If anybody can get info on specific characters, which chaingrabs work on which chars, and percents, that would be awesome. I won't be able to do anything for a few days, if not longer, so I need help with this.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Chain grab results against an enemy attempting to jump out (I also want to test against someone trying to Up-B later...)

Mario: 3 grabs
Luigi: 3 grabs
Peach: 1 grab
Bowser: 4 grabs
Donkey Kong: 3 grabs
Diddy Kong: 3 grabs
Yoshi: 3 grabs
Wario: 1 grab
Link: 3 grabs
Zelda: 1 grab
Sheik: 3 grabs
Ganon: 3 grabs
Toon Link: 1 grab
Samus: 1 grab
Zero Suit: 2 grabs
Pit: 2 grabs
Ice Climbers: 1 grab (Nana hits you after more than one)
ROB: 1 grab
Kirby: 1 grab
Meta Knight: 1 grab, although the window is tiny, it's easy to get up to 3 unless MK times perfectly
DeDeDe: 3 grabs
Olimar: 1 grab
Fox: 4 grabs
Falco: 3 grabs
Wolf: 3 grabs
Captain Falcon: 3 grabs
Pikachu: 3 grabs
Squirtle: 2 grabs
Ivysaur: 2 grabs
Charizard: 3 grabs
Lucario: 1 grab
Jigglypuff: 1 grab
Marth: 1 grab
Ike: 3 grabs
Ness: 2 grabs
Lucas: 3 grabs
Game and Watch: 2 grabs
Snake: 4 grabs (5? Someone who's better at it should test this)
Sonic: 3 grabs

Characters with fast Up-B's (Game and Watch, Sonic, etc), can get out 1 jump earlier, generally. I'll test everyone with Up-B later. Also, I'm no pro at the Oli chain grab, so if someone better finds any wrong results, please let me know :)

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Anyone have any other ideas I should test? I'm doing it against Up-b's later, do we want to test other things about the CG?

Once thing I noticed while testing this was that a Dthrow with a yellow seemed to cause more knockback because of the electricity. It might be worth looking into whether some characters who were on the borderline for getting an extra grab could get one more by not using any yellows.

asob4

Smash Champion
white's can usually get you an extra throw as they rise in percents, so i have noticed (being one of the first to use this ^^)

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Gah, I wanted to test Up-B's today, but I left all my Wiimotes at someone else's house. If I can borrow one to get my Wii started up, I'll test those today.

Top Bottom