• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco Q&A

Pengie

Smash Lord
ok so after messing around with a bunch of characters i'm back to maining falco again (yay) but i'm still having trouble with some basic stuff.

i seriously can't do the ledgehop->double lasers (at the same height). in fact, the only way i can even get double lasers is if i grab the ledge, fall, and immediately jump laser laser, but the first laser is really high (fox would punish me badly). i've tried delaying the jump after falling off the ledge but then i can get only 1 laser (and after the laser i end up phantasm-ing towards the stage lol).
To get the lasers at the same height you have to jump and press B at the roughly the same time. If you can't get it normally then you could try moving your index finger to the jump button and leaving your thumb on B.

also for RSHL: let's say i am on FD and i am running to the right. when i try to RSHL, i SHL so the laser goes left (so far so good) but i stay in place and have no momentum (basically wherever i start the SHL i stop and i don't continue to drift to the right). but everytime i try and do the RSHL (with momentum) i phantasm. i have done it a couple of times by accident but i have no idea how. what am i doing wrong? (P.S. do you fast fall it?)
Try hitting down and away instead of just down when you're fast falling. This way you move away and fast fall at the same time. It should help you move away as you laser.

also i can waveshine without hitting anything practically perfectly, but i can only do it like 50% of the time with hitlag. like when i am comboing fox with the dair->shine->wavedash->dair etc. etc. , i end up just short hopping out of the shine rather than waveshining. am i hitting L too early?
If you jump out instead of wavedashing you just need to slow yourself down. Try going into training mode and practicing the timing until you get it down.

1 other thing. for shield pressure i usually do shffl dair->shine repeat, but i have seen shffl nair->shine repeat. which is more effective? at first i thought it was absolutely dair, but nair does do more damage (and less lag), and isn't shield stun related to damage?

THANKS.
Nair is a safer option because it has more range so you can do things like shine -> DI away Nair. If you're going to use Dair you should try to do the Dair as late as possible so that you hit with the strong part of it and it has more shield stun.

Hope this helps :)

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Okay so I made a thread. Let me know if I actually need to keep it open or have it closed and just contribute to one of the main threads.

Ben-Teezee

Smash Apprentice
ok so after messing around with a bunch of characters i'm back to maining falco again (yay) but i'm still having trouble with some basic stuff.

i seriously can't do the ledgehop->double lasers (at the same height). in fact, the only way i can even get double lasers is if i grab the ledge, fall, and immediately jump laser laser, but the first laser is really high (fox would punish me badly). i've tried delaying the jump after falling off the ledge but then i can get only 1 laser (and after the laser i end up phantasm-ing towards the stage lol).

also for RSHL: let's say i am on FD and i am running to the right. when i try to RSHL, i SHL so the laser goes left (so far so good) but i stay in place and have no momentum (basically wherever i start the SHL i stop and i don't continue to drift to the right). but everytime i try and do the RSHL (with momentum) i phantasm. i have done it a couple of times by accident but i have no idea how. what am i doing wrong? (P.S. do you fast fall it?)

also i can waveshine without hitting anything practically perfectly, but i can only do it like 50% of the time with hitlag. like when i am comboing fox with the dair->shine->wavedash->dair etc. etc. , i end up just short hopping out of the shine rather than waveshining. am i hitting L too early?

1 other thing. for shield pressure i usually do shffl dair->shine repeat, but i have seen shffl nair->shine repeat. which is more effective? at first i thought it was absolutely dair, but nair does do more damage (and less lag), and isn't shield stun related to damage?

THANKS.
ok first thing u need to understand since it doesnt seem like u do is as long as u are already lasering u can move the control stick all u want and u will not phantasm, so if u full jump laser than hold forward and keep lasering u will never phantasm as long as u didnt stop lasering. this is the secret to doing all the laser techniques.

i dont understand how if u drop u shoot one laser than phantasm? try pressing B fast dont delay ur lasers u should do, down to drop, when u reach the height u want to jump u press jump immediately follwed by B more than once, then once ur lasers have started u just hold forward to land on the stage.

rshl with fast falls is just about practice. you have to remember to flick the control stick and then let it return to neutral position b4 u laser. eventually ull get the timing so u hit B just as the stick is returning to neutral and from there u can keep moving cuz like i said b4 u can move while ur lasering, the trick is to timing the B press exactly as the stick hits neutral position.

as for the waveshining just put it on infinite time and go to FD vs fox and just hit him with shines over and over. like do shine> wavedash to chase> shine b4 he lands. just do this over and over till u get used to the hitlag, this one is actually a practice issue.

um mango puts it nicely when he says think of falcos feet as a broom, if u nair ur putting the broom horizontally and if u dair ur putting it vertically. most falco players will admit its a matter of preference although i will give u some advice about it.

a) nair can be CC'd while dair usually cant, the meta game is revolving heavily around CC'ing (watch recent matches of good spacies and or peaches and marths) so be careful u dont want to spam it.

b) nair combos really nicely at mid to high %, if u catch someone DI'ing into the stage u can easily nair them into f-smash/nair/ or dair off the stage depending on their percent. u should use it for its speed and spacing while shield pressuring, like retreating nair to make them miss the grab is really good.

c) dont forget that shield pressure comes down to mixing it up, nothing is guaranteed, and nothing is totally safe. different characters can punish different ways and its upto u to mix up ur pressure to where they dont know whats coming and feel helpless and start to make mistakes. if u just dair shine all the time on their shield theyre prob just gonna nair/up b oos or just roll and ur not really pressuring. u have to make them doubt their usual responses and punish them when they try to escape u.

Scooach

Smash Cadet
@ LAX

If you need any more advice about waveshining I went into training mode with three stationary cpu's and practiced waveshining each of them back to back until I could hit them each without letting them touch the ground.

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
@ LAX

If you need any more advice about waveshining I went into training mode with three stationary cpu's and practiced waveshining each of them back to back until I could hit them each without letting them touch the ground.
that sounds good too, thanks. what i did was plug in another controller and made it a bowser with 9 handicap (i'm at 1) and 0.5 damage ratio and just kept waveshining. can do it 90% of the time now :). still got work on that though.
I can also RSHL now but still need work as well, and i can do the ledgehop double lasers, but i need to switch hand positions because i can't click y->b-spam that fast :/. i think that's a major problem haha. well we'll see tomorrow if i improved in the y->b-spam without changing my hand position.
thanks again for the tips @ people.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
good **** PeePee, I've actually been working on an extensive matchup guide for the past few days (traveling to Chicago is boring :laugh:), we should chat over aim and put together a **** *** collaboration.
chicago? come play with me and my crew.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Yo Mogwai do you mind if we waited until winter break to work on the matchup collaboration? Finals johns. =p
hahaha, yea, that's fine, I've got my starting point for fox and falcon done and am working on Marf now. I'll just put in some work in the meantime and we can start talking **** over when you've got some more time on your hands. When is Winter Break for you?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I'll be done on the 12th. I can start talking in the evening that day and any time after that until probably the 23rd(when I will go to PA and have no internet lol).

I'll get back on the 27th or something and we can keep talking if we don't have it done until we have it done I bet.

Is that okay?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I'll be done on the 12th. I can start talking in the evening that day and any time after that until probably the 23rd(when I will go to PA and have no internet lol).

I'll get back on the 27th or something and we can keep talking if we don't have it done until we have it done I bet.

Is that okay?
works for me. but more importantly, where in PA? :p

I'll be in Philly area for the holidays, so yea, if you're anywhere nearby and free at all, I might go out of my way to get some dittoes in :)

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Uniontown......it's a little far from Philly I believe.

Also, I doubt my parents would support me going very far to smash while family is around, but if you can find some way to get to me/get within an hour of me we could work something out. =p

D20

Smash Lord
Which Uniontown? I think there are a few of them in Pennsylvania, one being just south of Pittsburgh.

Pennsylvania is deceptively large though.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
That's what I figured haha. =p

I'll probably have a harder time writing about Fox than Falcon, and I'll probably have a little less to say. I think I'll still have useful things to add though. =)

D20

Smash Lord
That area actually has a very lively Melee community (centered in Pittsburgh). There are about 10 of us that play on a regular basis, and we'll have one or two smash fests over the break. If you are interested, I could keep you updated on our plans.

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
i'm pumped for this uber compilation. really. NICE.

@Peepee
no internet for
23, 24, 25, 26, 27 = 5
5 days?!?!!
that's like having the electricity cut at my house for a whole night = hopeless :p

EDIT: i've mained Pikachu for a while and as a general rule, it's usually good to be under the opponent as Pika. For Falco, is "usually good to be above the opponent" a general rule to keep in mind?

EDIT2: i'm having loads fun with bbcode today :colorful:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
@D20: I can't get to Pittsburg I don't think, but I might be able to. It couldn't hurt to stay informed just in case. =)

@ LAX: Yeah something like that. I might get online really quick at my uncle's to say happy holidays or something but besides that I'm pretty much outta luck haha.
I DO get to play Melee with Twitch(my 13 year old **** training partner who punishes my bad habits really well) so I plan on abusing him. =p

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Dude Twitch got wayyyyy better just by.....doing nothing like he always does lol. I swear he cheats. =p

That's not true....he told me he watched 2 videos of Keepspeed and then got off.

Also he has the best Fox recovery vs me of any Fox I've ever played.

Anyway, enough hype of my bro, I'll just have to get him to come to something so he can prove himself/get recorded. It's so tough when he's far away and has no car though.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
hes mad cool

and freakin hilarious

lol yo wes/pp

how do i not lose to pichu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLqSWsv51us

lmao hes so good

also wes make this mogwai/pp thread i assume hes gonna be helping with advice and stuff
just space Pichu out. I don't like getting close enough to shine cause then he's close enough to hit with his tiny *** moves, so I just space nair at his shield and shoot him a lot until I can get a hit and then I **** him and his pathetically short tech rolls.

Top Bottom