• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Sprite Critique Topic

I cant help it if I think your funny when your mad
I am very surprised that nobody has thought of a thread to help let beginners and experts at making sprites show off their work for everyone to see and to admire as well as give suggestions to help make a sprite more attractive or just better overall.
This topic is for constructive criticism only and not to be hurtful in any way to anyone.

You must first critique another sprite to get a critique from anyone at all.

Only post sprites and recolors for people to critique.
This is strictly for pokemon sprites, not "chuck norris" or anything off-topic like that.

Thank you and have a good time!

M.K

Level 55
Thank you. THIS is what we need.
THIS.
I thank you for taking the initiative to create this thread instead of continuing to post in our shop.
Ok, about your sprite:

The arms look very Copy and Paste. Notice the subtle "earthy" pattern on the arms? You might want to continue that on the top part of the Voltorb....
It is good for a beginner, but it is also very very simple. True spriters REALLY branch out and fuse Pokemon that are VERY different, like Cherrim and Arceus, Sharpedo and Aggron, and Bulbasaur and Giratina.

A_man13

Smash Master
Thank you. THIS is what we need.
THIS.
I thank you for taking the initiative to create this thread instead of continuing to post in our shop.
Ok, about your sprite:

The arms look very Copy and Paste. Notice the subtle "earthy" pattern on the arms? You might want to continue that on the top part of the Voltorb....
It is good for a beginner, but it is also very very simple. True spriters REALLY branch out and fuse Pokemon that are VERY different, like Cherrim and Arceus, Sharpedo and Aggron, and Bulbasaur and Giratina.
Didn't you make that once?

And yes, this is exactly what we need. Art emporium for sigs and here for sprites.

M.K

Level 55
Didn't you make that once?

And yes, this is exactly what we need. Art emporium for sigs and here for sprites.
O_O Wow. I didn't even realize that I had done that exact sprite. I picked 2 out of 493 pokemon....WOW! :laugh:

Yes, this is EXACTLY what we needed.
Keeps the shop uncluttered and keeps the newbie spriters happy!!

A_man13

Smash Master
O_O Wow. I didn't even realize that I had done that exact sprite. I picked 2 out of 493 pokemon....WOW! :laugh:

Yes, this is EXACTLY what we needed.
Keeps the shop uncluttered and keeps the newbie spriters happy!!
I was gonna say that was a bit gloaty of you to choose those two pokes and ask to see your Bulbasaur and Giratina fusion.

For some reason, people tell me I am a pretty good spriter when I really don't do anything terribly special. But the same people also say I have confidence issues... :chuckle:

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Giant Sprite Dump comin up!

So consider these my beginner ones. I wanna start some hard stuff now. Really wanna pull off some obscure ones.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You could work a little on your shading but overall they are well put together sprites
please Critique before your receive Critique

Can i get something on this
It's a good start, but the puffy part around his neck looks kind of funny shaded, and it's missing some outline. Also, it's a little simple. But it's better to start out simple, so that's not really a complaint, just something you should be aware of.

Greemstreet they are really good, especially considering the fact your a beginner. In fact can i use Charizard+Rhydon as my avatar? (if so do you know how to lol)
If you want to use it as your Custom Avatar, go to User CP, Edit Avatar, and scroll down to the Custom Avatar option. You can either upload something from your computer or put in the link, so either link to the file or save it to your computer and upload it that way, and you should be set.
(Obviously I can't say whether or not you can use his sprite, I'm just telling you how to for future reference in general.)

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
You could work a little on your shading but overall they are well put together sprites
please Critique before your receive Critique

Can i get something on this
For a recolor it's fine. But I think Tauros would look better black with mad red eyes...like he has rabies.

Also zrky if u are on this thread at any point...

you know how u said laparupt backs was a bit dodge? well cud u b more specific for me and perhaps give tips on how i shud fix it?

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
I just want to say a couple things:
1. SIGS OFF!!!
and
2. Nothing's really official until approved by a mod, so this topic really isn't "Official" yet, but I hope it does real soon.

I don't have any real sprites on me right now so I can't post, but who knows? jusaying

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
I just want to say a couple things:
1. SIGS OFF!!!
and
2. Nothing's ever really official on the internet.

I don't have any real sprites on me right now so I can't post, but who knows? jusaying
Fixed. Official is just a buzz word on forums. The only words that actually mean 'official' are "SBR Approved" or something to that effect, and that certainly won't happen here lolz.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I think everyone is covered
can i get something on this

hauntorb
It's basically good, albeit a little simple (then again, I don't suppose there's much else you can do with Voltorb). It does look a little blurry though...you didn't save it as a .jpg, did you?
Also, the shading of Voltorb needs to be redone if you're going to put him in there like that -- his shading currently clashes with Haunter's.

A_man13

Smash Master
Interesting. The colors are weired, but they work well enough. Look so much better as .pngs.

Gengar with cloyster shell. As I tried to get much as the face as possible, I had to scratch...a lot.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Interesting. The colors are weired, but they work well enough. Look so much better as .pngs.

Gengar with cloyster shell. As I tried to get much as the face as possible, I had to scratch...a lot.
Not much to critique as it's done as good as it could be. Nice job :)!

-:bowser:Bowser King

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord

I already said this but...Aman i think you sprite better than you make signatures(and thats saying something.)

Artellow

My first pokesplice, I had to scratch the head feathers.

Overload

Smash Lord

Pretty cool man.

After seeing this thread I decided to try my hand at spriting. . . I got lazy and didn't really put much effort into it, and of course as a result it isn't good at all. I will not be spriting any more; too much work for me, so criticism on my monstrosity won't really matter, but here it is regardless:

A_man13

Smash Master
Pretty cool man.

After seeing this thread I decided to try my hand at spriting. . . I got lazy and didn't really put much effort into it, and of course as a result it isn't good at all. I will not be spriting any more; too much work for me, so criticism on my monstrosity won't really matter, but here it is regardless:

Thanks man.

Yours is great for a beginer. One thing, though. Make sure you save it as a PNG, so it's transperent.

Oh, and before you go on a wild assumption rampage, I made Zolga's avi...

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
It has some wierd lines that look...well wierd were the neck leaves and the arms come together, and theres a purple mark to the top right of the sprite. The little antennas or whatever you want to call them look pretty low quality too.

Heres a revamp of G/S Ho-oh:
I consider it my best revamp, so I'm not really gonna post anymore of those. I'd like to see what you guys think of it. (My avatar is a revamp too)

Heres a splice, I consider it one of my better ones. Larvatini:

Heres another pretty basic one: I had to scratch the ghost stuff around it. -.-

So yep, those are some examples on my work.

A_man13

Smash Master
It has some wierd lines that look...well wierd were the neck leaves and the arms come together, and theres a purple mark to the top right of the sprite. The little antennas or whatever you want to call them look pretty low quality too.

Heres a revamp of G/S Ho-oh:
I consider it my best revamp, so I'm not really gonna post anymore of those. I'd like to see what you guys think of it. (My avatar is a revamp too)
I'm really not a revamp person myself, so I could hardly give you a fair critique.

Heres a splice, I consider it one of my better ones. Larvatini:
I'd really like this more with some more lavitar in it, but its fine as is.

Heres another pretty basic one:

So yep, those are some examples on my work.
You'd really be better off incorperating more ghastly (I think) into the color scheme.

My $.10

A_man13

Smash Master
DUDE you totally skipped me!
leaves fixed
I believe Naked got you, but...

I'd really like to see a bit more drapion in the sprite. It still feels much like meganium. Maybe add the tail.

The arms don't really fit the flow of the rest of the sprite. They don't feel like they'd belong at theiir current angle. Try and get it to go better with the neck. I'd also sugest to try and erase the front legs just to make it feel more natural.

And make sure you save it as a png.

I find it odd how I do the most critiquing, yet I'm hardly even expirienced at it.

A_man13

Smash Master
You guys want to know a quick secret? In GIMP and PS, make sure you open whatever you use to fuse with as a transparant document. That way, even though the end is transparant, no white.

Top Bottom