• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB vs. Wolf

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I playing a guy on AiB and I had him in the first match. It was ROB (me) vs. Ike (other guy) and I wiped the floor with him. Then, the second match, he countered my ROB with a Wolf and I can't do diddly to him. What's some good strategies to beat Wolfs or should I just train up a secondary to beat one?

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
Don't fly into them after they bair, they'l just fsmash. Always hold down you're shield after they nair, it will be followed up with something. Jab/ftilt/fair cancel the lasers if they're a problem (or shield :p.) Don't know anything specifically ROB can do that will help. Except maybe for one that likes to use DACUS, you might want to give him a taste of his own medicine with Glide tossing away.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
On the ground, F-tilt. Angle it up and down accordingly, and you'll be in a lot better position to deal with his B-Air.

As was said earlier, he is WoP'd relatively easy.

His recovery is predictable. Either up, or at a 45 degree angle. Use your gyro and laser accordingly.

Glide tossing works- if he starts to reflect it, toss the gyro up and end it in a smash, grab, or tilt; if a grab- b-throw him into the falling gyro after you pummel him in the grab. shield the smashes and D-smash to counter any sort of smash-spam.

Don't get baited in by his b-airs.

Get him in the air, and attack from the front/underneath with F-airs and U-airs as needed.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
Oh yeah and another thing I <3 to do, is when they're recovering with their Side B. You can start a Dair right when they start a Side B above the area it should end, and it should hit them the millisecond they get there. too sexy :D

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Stop as in cancel like Ike's Side B gimp, or stop as in hit him and he's able to recover again?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Well, generally with the exception of very few characters, if you're hit, you're able to reuse your Up+B, or any other attack for that matter.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
Well, generally with the exception of very few characters, if you're hit, you're able to reuse your Up+B, or any other attack for that matter.

What I mean is, depending on wherever the Wolf was when he tried to recover the first time if you hit him with either Laser or Gyro he weon't be able to try and recover the 2nd time he tries.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Are you trying to say that with Wolf, if you hit him mid-recovery, he's won't be at a nice spot and since he can only go straight up or 45 degrees, he won't be able to recover?

Lv.99

Smash Journeyman
Well now, I main R.O.B. and second wolf.

Here I go:

-Approaching: Be warned of the laser spam. Chances are that the first move a Wolf will do after the match starts is fire off a few aerial lasers. These can be dodged relatively easily. Then, they will proceed to RAR b-air until both characters meet.
*Now, I don't know the priority of Wolf's b-air, but I do believe it beats out f-air. So, be cautious and try to time an early move like a tilt.
-In the Fray: Wolf has a galore of options. If Wolf is approaching you, he can attack with a lagless f-air, an RAR b-air, or an n-air. He will probably avoid the dash attack because of its weird timing. To take care of the f-air, just run away. It has high priority and will allow the WOlf to juggle you with u-air. If your fighting a b-air, projectiles are your best bet unless you want to time a b-air. N-air has really low priority and only sometimes staggers so just use an f-air.
-Offstage: If you are offstage with Wolf edgeguarding, you have nothing to worry about. Wolves are afraid og heights due to the fact that THEY CAN'T RECOVER!!! So the worst you will face is a d-air, which will probably miss. If the wolf is offstage, you probably already won the stock. Wolf's recovery is uber predictable and easy to gimp. To counteract Fire-Wolf, just edgehog.
-Wolf illusion: Okay then, for those of you who do not know, wolf has an AT called scarring. This is where we use side -b near a ledge but hold down so we avoid the sweetspot. This will cause us to appear onstage and has a high chance of hitting with the perfect hitbox. To counter act this, know that Wolf will primarily appear three wolves (odd measurement) away from the edge. Knowing that, justcahrge up a smash.

Stage game: To counteract a Wolf, choose Final Destination. We have a lower range of scarring there so our recoevery is REALLY predictable. However, NEVER CHOOSE YOSHI'S ISLAND. This is Wolf territory. There is a third type of scarring here which involves scarring just as Wolf jumps from the ledge. Wolf will slide along the stage and land right in the middle. If you are situated there, you will be hit by a perfect spike and recerive over 10% damage.

Tell me (or PM) if I should put in more.

TEECO

Smash Ace
I suck vs wolf too, ive leanred to spam against them. Lazor (bounce it off the ground so they cant reflect it back to hit you) and fair are my favorites for him.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
lol you mean besides shielding? Cancel it. jab, ftilt, fair...
I've played against good (laser-spamming) wolfs, and jab, ftilt, and fair do NOT cancel wolf's lasers. In fact, nothing of ROB's does. If you don't believe me, go try it out in training mode... the only thing that feasibly works is shielding. A grounded laser will collide with a top IF the top is already on the ground. This will send the gyro back a little bit, but if it's not grounded, the gyro goes flying.

My problem is that walking up, shielding, inching up, shielding, inching up, etc. leaves my shield pretty depleted before or by the time I get in attacking distance, even for an f-tilt. What's worse, is that at that range, I have to deal with one last laser to get in ftilt range, and the last shot goes just slow enough to let Wolf get in an fsmash afterwards, usually knocking me back.

I don't hold my shield up for a long time with the lasers; it's just that by the time I get into range, it's too small to defend with. If I approach in the air, a few of wolf's shots come my way, before a shield>shieldgrab or shield>smash comes up. I don't have nearly as much of a problem with approaching falco, but I can't seem to get through Wolf's barrage of projectiles.

Any tips?

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Yes it does...but it gets knocked back (if already spinning on the ground) or sent flying (if colliding in the air). That doesn't really do too much for me anyway, since a second blaster will follow the first. In order to even have a gyro out, grounded, BEFORE the blasters come, I've got to be a good distance away, right about where wolf's blaster's range is anyway, somewhere around half of FD. Wolf can send a second shot faster than I can pull up or send out a second gyro. If it's too close to wolf, he can reflect it and then use it or hold on to it

Even if it is grounded, and it gets slightly pushed back, that really doesn't help me in terms of approaching. I'm still not in a good spot at this point, and against good wolfs, I can only bait a few blasters to actually land a non-reflected, slightly-angled laser or two before they can pull up a reflector when they see it coming

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
your right, it does push it back, gyro can take 3 blasters (i think) but i usually SH, DI backwards, and shoot it forwards. it gives me some time to figure out what to do next. I sometimes use the charging animation to give me options if i need to shield, or roll behind, or shoot it off.

well if he reflects it, you can punish him if your close enough, dash attack -> uptilt works wonders on spacies

i play a wait and see kind of game. anyways, throw out some tilts, push wolf away, and react towards that. just be careful, wolfs attacks are pretty fast, you should try to get to know what wolf can do before doing anything agressive

oh and get creative, thats the only way to hit your opponent if they have fast reflectors. glidetoss up/down or away (while towards your opponent)

Top Bottom