• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official G&W Stage Discussion #6: Green Greens.

Neb

Smash Lord
Neb said:
Green Greens
This map is great for camping, you have a total of six ledges to choose from that are lightly interchangeable at any point in time, this makes if difficult for your foe to find space to breath. You can actually make it under the middle section to either side with your double jump, Upb, and some good DI. The exploding blocks have been nerfed, so Upb'ing through them will usually leave you unscathed, if your using your invincibility frames right. Also, the wind from Wispy Woods can shoulder your foe into your ledge camp.

Best On?
Characters with no projectiles, bad aerials, and recoveries.
And to add, the platforms are good for your aerial pressuring, and the apples
make for good freebie weapons to couple with your combos and ledge camp.

I'd really only choose this stage for camping, that's where it excels most in, if your picking it
for its platforms, there's always better maps for that.

|Specific CP Characters (IMO)
  • Wario
  • DK
  • Marth
  • Snake
  • MK (Maybe)

K 2

Smash Lord
I wouldn't take MK here. He can detonate the bombs if you get too close with SL. I was playing against a computer ROB as MK the other day. As he tried to jump over the blocks (2-3 bomb blocks plus non bomb blocks), I shuttle looped (has invincibility frames) the bomb block and ROB went flying...

The blastzones are really tight on this stage, so a good fsmash, dsmash or throw might kill them. I think this stage may help people with bad recoveries since it has tight blastzones.

Can you safely detonate the bombs with bair and dtilt?

Also, does dtilt lock work on this stage?

Let me take this opportunity to remind everyone to go to the Stage Discussion Index and post the stages you want to discuss. The more popular the stage, the sooner it will be discussed. I want this to be interactive and fun. As A.A. said, doing all the neutral stages are boring due to their straightforwardness. Please stick to tournament legal stages.

DonQuixote

Smash Apprentice
I personally do not like this stage. Mostly cuz the stupid tree blows. lol. Also as GW is there a safe way to detonate the bombs? otherwise i dont see this stage generally being a GW advantage.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
If you have good DI, and are fairly elusive, characters that rely on horizontal kills have a helluva time trying to kill you.

Your u-smash is going to be great here, if you can land it. If you camp below the platforms in the middle it is a huuuge ***** trying to get to you.

Because of the tight blastzones, parachute edgeguarding is too good. Go out like you are going to fair them, FF away and punish their reaction.

If you camp the ledges and manage to land a d-smash you can get really early kills too.

I like the level =D. I don't even have it on my wii >_>

K 2

Smash Lord
Parachute edgeguarding is when you use the puff of air from the parachute to push them away from the stage right? If so, I've never thought of that.

What's the ceiling on this stage?

Neb

Smash Lord
G&W wouldn't be blessed with the godly ability to set off the bombs with chef now would he?
He can.
Chef and Upb are your best bets for setting them off during ledge-work.
You can trigger them at a distance with all of your moves.

kldtjiog

Smash Rookie
incredible
*goes to green greens to spam more chef*

also i think after the blocks have cleared a down throw by the blocks would be a good move for block nerfing as they start to build back up.

K 2

Smash Lord
Up b has invincibilty frames at startup, so you could *suicide* into the blocks if your opponents got too close. I think you can do the dthrow -> dtilt lock on this stage with the blocks. Dtilt is also safe to detonate the bomb blocks.

What's your guy's strategy for this stage? Camp out in the middle? at the edges? Corner you opponent to one of the edges?

kldtjiog

Smash Rookie
camp on the sides, pummel away, and try and get a down smash in. blast zones are oh so tight and are great for a quick kill. but i don't play green greens too much. i've never liked the stage no matter who i'm using.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Apparently, this IS Amazing Ampharos' stage. I heard this from Colinjf, so I'm waiting to see his analysis :p

K 2

Smash Lord
Yeah, I think A.A. was the one who wanted me to discuss this stage. I don't play one this stage as much as I do with Corneria and R.C., and I don't have that much experience with the stage layout.

*waits for A.A. to write his summary*

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
This "security token" nonsense is the worst thing ever. Thanks smashboards for eating my long post on Green Greens! I have no desire at all to redo it right now; I'll edit this later with the real thing.

K 2

Smash Lord
This "security token" nonsense is the worst thing ever. Thanks smashboards for eating my long post on Green Greens! I have no desire at all to redo it right now; I'll edit this later with the real thing.
Take you time. If you want, you can add bits and pieces so we can discuss certain aspects of this stage.

This could be a possible counter pick for snake, due to his weak air game. You have to keep moving all the time though, since snake has an excellent camping game.

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
Green Green is cool because you can chef camp behind the huge blocks LOL. The low ceiling isn't too appealing for game and watch however.

jog

Smash Journeyman
This is listed as one of MK's worst stages.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187501

It also says Corneria is a bad stage for MK (but it is one of G&W's best stages).

I don't know the validity of this thread, but most of the information seems accurate.
green greens and corneria both bad for MK? and good for G&W?
*rubs hands together in evil way*

btw that link to the CP thread is really going to be helpful.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
With all of these posts, I'll just post this in a new post instead of editing an old one.

Green Greens is, in my opinion, the best stage for Mr. Game & Watch if you ignore the broken ones (such as Pirate Ship).

First of all, let's look at the size issue. Green Greens is very small, and it even has two very small platforms on the far sides. These two work well together. The small platforms mean that Mr. Game & Watch gets free smashes out of down throws, and the small blast zones mean his smashes lead to kills much earlier than on other stages.

The main feature that matters, however, is the dual set of blocks. These divide the course and force all approaches from one platform to another to either attack through the blocks (which is slow) or come from above. Mr. Game & Watch is very good at keeping the opponent at his mercy from above. Even better, if he is on the middle platform while the opponent is on the side, he can use Chef to replace the blocks with an even more unpassable wall of food (that will refresh stale moves for Mr. Game & Watch very quickly). This pressures the opponent off the far platforms to a position above Mr. Game & Watch where he can easily use his neutral aerial, up aerial, and up special to keep them locked down. Smart use of the up special can even hit them back to the far platform, resetting the position! Even better, the pass through platforms over the middle shield Mr. Game & Watch's position as he spams Chef. The opponent will have to go through those platforms to attack him from directly above, and the long, slow maneuver to the back just puts the opponent in a bad position relative to everyone's favorite turtle. Even if Mr. Game & Watch is on the sides, the opponent is still going to have to make a really risky approach that either destroys the blocks and probably leaves them super telegraphed and open for a turtle or jumps from above with all those dangers. The whole strategy to win on this stage is to just stay on a different platform from the opponent and camp. It's devastating.

Also, if the opponent tries to spam projectiles to stop your camping, those lovely blocks again give you tons of time to respond. Even better, the bucket is really hard to punish due to how much slower movement is around this stage; energy projectiles are even less of a worry than usual. The stage is especially bad for Link, Toon Link, King Dedede, Olimar, and Snake to spam as well so the biggest worries of non-energy spam are gone. Honestly, the most threatening spam here is probably out of a Mr. Game & Watch mirror; you know you're in a good situation when that's true.

The apples are nothing but helpful. Mr. Game & Watch is going to spend a lot of time on the middle platform camping it out so he tends to have an easy time grabbing the apples (frequently he can grab an apple and fishbowl to pressure fluidly). The attacking apples give him access to his glide toss which is one of the best in the game, and the healing apples heal a constant percentage which helps the light Mr. Game & Watch disproportionately.

Since opponents are always having to approach you over the blocks, the random falling bombs are more likely to hit them than you (you can go under the blocks easily with up special or wait to move over them until the wall is complete). Mr. Game & Watch's large, disjointed hitboxes are very good at detonating bombs safely; they really just serve to further limit the opponent's options on this stage while giving Mr. Game & Watch yet another tool in his camping game.

The wind is annoying, but it's really the only problem, pretty rare, and easy to stall out.

I suggest picking this stage as your main counterpick against Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Wario, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, R.O.B., Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Olimar, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Marth, Ike, and Snake for sure. I'm kinda divided internally over whether it's the best pick against Bowser, Link, and Toon Link even. It also warrants strong consideration against all of the other characters and is a stage that is good to go to in any unfamiliar matchup. I cannot give this stage a strong enough recommendation, and I would give it a 10/10 for Mr. Game & Watch. I counterpick this stage all the time, and it consistently increases my winning ability by a dramatic amount.

jog

Smash Journeyman
good **** A.A.
its sad that this post was eaten before.
lots of useful info. this makes me look at green greens in a whole new way.
i need to start CPing this stage.

K 2

Smash Lord
Wow...A.A., you never fail to impress me.

I never thought of Green Greens as a good CP stage, since I always used Corneria and RC, but your thorough analysis might change that. I might just quote you for the summary, since I don't have much personal experience with this stage and since you covered just about everything on this stage. =)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
One thing that A.A. didn't mention is how amazing G&W's ledge game here is. He can camo the ledge with nair and then up-b to the other side very easy. It's really hard to get GW off the edge without taking damage on green greens :). If they run off and AD past you then just drop and uair, then uair with your double jump and up-b back to the ledge. This will either set them up for a bair, or just keep them away.

Top Bottom