• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little something new I learned

Princz15

Smash Apprentice
Hey, guys. Don't want to get flamed or anything but i just thought I'd share my experience with you other Link mains, because i think it might improve your game as it has mine. I don't really want to get into too much detail but guys try taking Tap jump off. See if its better for you. It has been for me =] And For some reason i never fail at DAC anymore because of this. I could do it before but sometimes i would mess up.

Anyway try it tell me how it goes =]
No hurt in trying right?

EDIT: Yeah i guess your right sasook. Sorry guys =[

sasook

Smash Champion
Unless you want to learn advanced bombsliding, turning tap jump off would be a bad idea. It has no effect on the DAC by the way, so that's all in your head.

If you play without bombsliding, keep tap jump on. It lets you attack directly out of shield, and usmash/spin out of shield is amazing.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
It's not new, many others have suggested this. I will agree with you yet again sasook (see Allure thread), I took tap jump off and thought it was helping me, but once I switched back to improve my OOS options I didn't see any difference (Might switch back again for bomb sliding though).

_Saint_

Smash Apprentice
I turned my tap jump off for other reasons than so I can DAC better. It's unnecessary for DACing. I just turn it off because it messes up my game.

~Saint~

sasook

Smash Champion
*sigh* I'll say it again.

TAP JUMP DOES NOT AFFECT THE DAC. IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND.

It affects bombsliding because the tap jump is activated during the upwards portion, forcing Link to do a jump-canceled bomb throw down (hence it explodes at your feet quite often). But with the DAC, there's nothing being thrown. It's all in your head.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer

It affects bombsliding because the tap jump is activated during the upwards portion, forcing Link to do a jump-canceled bomb throw down (hence it explodes at your feet quite often). But with the DAC, there's nothing being thrown. It's all in your head.
Wow, I didn't know that. Good to know. I'll turn tap jump back on I suppose. Maybe after school. I think the cold is killing my key board ._. But yeah I'll check it out. My friends won't see it coming!

Ritch

Smash Journeyman
I play with tap jump off, only cuz i used jump up then up b instead of doing it on the ground lolz, maybe ill try it out idk

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
i have my tap jump off so i can craq walk better instead of jumping

PK-ow!

Smash Lord

THAT'S WHY I COULDN'T DO IT.

OMG, why couldn't someone tell me that. :(

Okay, so know I gotta choose again. . . Tap jump or awesome cool ATs. . .
For Link, probably ATs.

When has anyone every landed a Whirling Blade out of shield? You don't have any time to charge it, and **** is crap knockback without a charge. >:-(

sasook

Smash Champion
When has anyone every landed a Whirling Blade out of shield? You don't have any time to charge it, and **** is crap knockback without a charge. >:-(
When the opponent is recovering from the ledge and is at a decent percent, a spin attack out of shield works pretty well.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Meh I've gotten used to no tap jump but I like bombslides. I'm having a better time getting (and landing) the reverse bomb slide :D It's pretty nifty. I'll keep it off for now.

Ademar440

Smash Cadet
It's not new, many others have suggested this. I will agree with you yet again sasook (see Allure thread), I took tap jump off and thought it was helping me, but once I switched back to improve my OOS options I didn't see any difference (Might switch back again for bomb sliding though).
I don't know If I got right on this one but, you say you turned tap jump on to do attacks OOS, mmm I don't know if this is old but, you can do UpB and UpSmash OOS with tap jump off, even if sakurai says you couldn't, I use tap jump off, maped my special attacks to B and Y, that way while shielding I just hold Up on the stick and slide my thumb from X to A to do an UpSmash OOS and from X to Y to do a spin atack OOS, note that I wrote "slide my thumb" it is faster for me this way, this works even if you are not shielding just hold up and slide your thumb from X to A and you'll UpSmash every time without even moving the stick just holding it up and sliding your thumb, hope this helps someone, greetings.

sasook

Smash Champion
I don't know If I got right on this one but, you say you turned tap jump on to do attacks OOS, mmm I don't know if this is old but, you can do UpB and UpSmash OOS with tap jump off, even if sakurai says you couldn't, I use tap jump off, maped my special attacks to B and Y, that way while shielding I just hold Up on the stick and slide my thumb from X to A to do an UpSmash OOS and from X to Y to do a spin atack OOS, note that I wrote "slide my thumb" it is faster for me this way, this works even if you are not shielding just hold up and slide your thumb from X to A and you'll UpSmash every time without even moving the stick just holding it up and sliding your thumb, hope this helps someone, greetings.
That can be done even with the normal set-up. What you're talking about is called buffering, in which the starting frames of one attack begin around the ending frames of something else.

I never OOS attacks is impossible without tap jump, it's just harder and not as fast. With tap jump on, it's perfect frame. Without it, it's just buffering.

Ademar440

Smash Cadet
really?, the thing is that when I do that, I NEVER let go my shield and UpSmash and UpB seem just as fast as with tap jump on, and when the UpSmash ends my shield goes back up with no delay, and about my set up I know it is not necesary but I maped specials to Y to be able to do UpB faster

sasook

Smash Champion
so can you do B-up out of sheild with tap off? its very useful for link
Yes, that's what the buffer system is. Just drop the shield and ALMOST simultaneously press upB. Seriously, the gap is like 0.01 of a second. It all depends on just how fast you are. But it will NEVER be perfect frame, that's what people don't realize.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Yes, that's what the buffer system is. Just drop the shield and ALMOST simultaneously press upB. Seriously, the gap is like 0.01 of a second. It all depends on just how fast you are. But it will NEVER be perfect frame, that's what people don't realize.
The problem is, though, that Meta Knight's mach tornado doesn't allow that .01 second, and therefore tap jump is necessary. Other combo moves like ROB's Side Special (He spin's around violently) can be penetrated with that .01. What stinks is that a lot more people use MK than ROB... -___-

Ademar440

Smash Cadet
I quote myself

really?, the thing is that when I do that, I NEVER let go my shield and UpSmash and UpB seem just as fast as with tap jump on, and when the UpSmash ends my shield goes back up with no delay, and about my set up I know it is not necesary but I maped specials to Y to be able to do UpB faster
So

so can you do B-up out of sheild with tap off? its very useful for link
Read my previous posts on this topic, try it, I swear it works without tap jump on, and no, you won't need to drop your shield.

Just shield, hold up ( you can tilt or smash the stick up, it works anyway ), then slide your thumb from X ( jump ) to A and Link will do the UpSmash OOS I maped specials to Y so I could do UpB OOS to, and by the way you can charge both attacks too, you can do this without shielding.

Top Bottom