• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SBR Weekly character Discussion: Ike

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Ike is not manly, drop that argument OS. However, man is he fun to play when you're flat out better than someone, you will dominate them.

He's also fun in Brawl+.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It must feel nice to fsmash a Meta Knight with Ike.

Like, really nice.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Awww, I made a really funny hint and I went to post it... only to realize that Overswarm already made one :(

Meh, I'll just adjust the hint for next week instead :D

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Awww, I made a really funny hint and I went to post it... only to realize that Overswarm already made one :(

Meh, I'll just adjust the hint for next week instead :D
My hint is amazing.

Azen gets 10 million internets for the Miyamoto Musashi reference.

Ike is one of the most fun characters to play in the game, for me.... but unfortunately he doesn't really live up to the challenge at high level play. His most common damage dealer, literally, is roll to A-A-A combo in most games I play with Infern.

Ike, despite his easily gimped recovery, has a pretty good edgeguarding game. If you can guess what your opponent is doing, one dair or bair can finish them off.

In fact, if you can guess what your opponent is doing Ike can pretty much beast them. F-tilt or f-smash on the ground are awesome KO moves, Ike's u-air is amazing, Ike's dair is amazing, and his nair has no lag and thus can combo easily into his jab combo.

If Ike couldn't be gimped so easily he'd have a much better shot... but it is rare that Ike isn't gimped at least once in a set. You'd think this would make him better in teams, but he gets gimped just as bad (if not worse) there. Ike does fantastic on stages like Norfair, Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Delfino, and any other stage with unique ledges/boundries. Many of his matchups that are incredibly one-sided become much more in favor of Ike in these situations. It's amazing how poorly people generally play against Ike; their game almost always revolves solely around gimping him. When you take that out of the equation with these different stages, it becomes a very unique matchup that is difficult to adapt to.

Ike is a horrible, horrible main. You are almost guaranteed to lose on the neutral if your opponent is good and has a decent matchup against you because every time you leave the edge you are in significant danger... while they are not.

That said, Ike is one of the best counterpick characters in the game. People have great difficulty fighting competent Ike's when said Ike's are on their CP stages and play to their strengths, and NO ONE (even Ike mains) knows whether Ike is good or bad against characters other than MK on these counterpick stages.

If you want a "fun" character, pick up Ike. Play him for fun with your friends and then if need be, throw him out in tourney on a counterpick if your opponent picks norfair or if you feel the need to switch things up.

He's also got neat tricksies. Something I used to do when the game first came out but have yet to see since... I used to double jump and start charging eruption when my opponent grabbed the edge. If my opponent goes off the edge, I release to hit him. If he hits me, I am super armored and he gets hit. This obviously is a reaction-time gamble, but it's still hella fun. :D

Also, Ike has a ***** taunt.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I've mindgamed people by running at them and the taunting up. The animation look exactly like a fsmash, and they almost always shield while I just laugh my *** off.

Ike is SUPER fun. I play him online more then any other character. He would be soooo much better with a good recovery though. He is so easily gimped it's sad. It also feels like Ike has impossible match-ups against characters like Falco and DDD. On the other hand, sethlon has beaten my GW in tournament before on stages like Pirate Ship and Mario Circuit with Ike :).

Ike is also a lot better in teams then he is in singles. Especially if your partner is fast and can help you recover.

Ike dittos are the new Falcon ditto from melee. Amazingly fun and epic :).

One more thing...

Ike in Brawl+ is toooo toooo tooo good.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
whoa. That's cory using azen's avatar.

what's weird is I specifically remember grey text and a starman...

D

Deleted member

since I only play ike, I have a lot to add to this. Until then-

PIZZA

D

Deleted member

really, everyone should have azen's avatar.

this thread needs more charge fsmash.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
really, everyone should have azen's avatar.

this thread needs more charge fsmash.
speaking of charging an f-smash, most of Ike's f-smash lag is start-up lag. Charging an f-smash is a good way to reduce that lag... so if someone is coming towards you in the air or towards the ledge and you start charging your f-smash, it comes out surprisingly fast when you let go.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Lets combine forces to have a triple Ike team and do a triple fsmash team combo!

Someone get a video of three Ike's hitting a Metaknight back and forth with f-smashes until he dies and I'll add it to the bonus page for my hint XD

CORY

wut
BRoomer
wow, how do i start these things? i really should've copied his font color too >.>

also, it wasn't a musashi reference, sorry, os. listen to the sound he makes when he hits stuff, it's not an effing sword, it thwacks like and oar.

and charging f and usmash with ike (so i can contribute >.>) is mean, for the aforementioned reasons. totally his best strategy, followed closely by aaa spam.

speaking of aaa spam, i read somewhere that the first hit has superarmor? that true? just curious, silas (lolz at anyone who remembers him) plays ike and that jab usually just cuts through everything.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Ike is soooo good. I love playing as Ike. Even in offline battles, he can do fairly well against an unprepared opponent. He's pretty hopeless against the likes of Meta Knight. I know how to thrash Ike thanks to my firsthand experience with him, but he is so much better than I thought he would be first playing him.

AAA spam = rock on
SHFF N-air = rock on
back-air = rock on
sliding up-smash = rock on

He's pretty dang easy to camp. :(

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Ever done a weird combo by holding A and 1-2-1-2 jabbing someone across the level? I do it to Ganon sometimes if I jab him when he's in the air.

Actually, the 2's (the knee) never hits him, which is why it does the 1 (the fist) again.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Ever done a weird combo by holding A and 1-2-1-2 jabbing someone across the level? I do it to Ganon sometimes if I jab him when he's in the air.

Actually, the 2's (the knee) never hits him, which is why it does the 1 (the fist) again.
Yeah, some characters you can carry all the way across FD by just holding down A. At the end, just mash A one extra time in there to get that third hit in.

Drab Emordnilap

Palindrome Bard
BRoomer
I do that without juggling someone, by pressing A once, then repreately pressing and holding it for the knee, so it does a second punch, and then you press and hold for the knee, and repeat. It's fun to march across the stage with it.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Ike is better than people give him credit for - like his decent matchup against Marth, especially if they Marth isn't experienced with Ikes. IMO he does have his matchups. It's just that some matchups completely **** him. And he took away thousands of homes single handedly. That's gotta count for something.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yeah. Ike having so many terribly one-sided matchups makes him a pretty awful main. Still awesome as a secondary though!

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Yeah, I'm sure it's safe to say he is a solid counterpick but a terrible main.

Out of curiosity, whom do you think Ike counters the most/best?

D

Deleted member

ike has some pretty ****ty matches, although MK and DDD are the worst. Generally though, even bad characters can beat ike enough to annoy the player, like wolf or link.

yes, link. link is basically designed to beat ike while losing to the rest of the cast.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
ike is the best in teams because he fights for his friends

IT'S SO OBVIOUS.
Awww, what a good friend, that Ike...
ike has some pretty ****ty matches, although MK and DDD are the worst. Generally though, even bad characters can beat ike enough to annoy the player, like wolf or link.

yes, link. link is basically designed to beat ike while losing to the rest of the cast.
MK is understandable, but D3? I actually thought Ike held up decently against against D3. I guess I only play against mediocre D3 players. I have one friend who is a dedicated main, and he fears my Ike.

/wishes he had more time and money to attend real tournaments T_T

D

Deleted member

DDD and Link have this magical ability called "shieldgrab everything ike does easily", but the difference is that DDD can CG to the edge to grab release dtilt or bair wall of pain which is just gay to him.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Maybe Ike does OK on non-flat stages...? D3 is a huge target; I guess I just never experienced much difficulty in combo'ing and edge-guarding D3. :-/

D1

Banned via Administration
You'll get no sympathy from me.

NinjaLink's Ike made me realize Ike is actually a pretty decent character. Only reason he stopped using him as much as his other chars is because he gets gimped so rediculously easily. One nice thing I realized Silven's Ike started doing was when he's recovering, he'd reverse upB since my DDD would always try to run off stage and wall spike him w/ bairs. This usually stuffed my run off bair stage spike attempts after knocking him off stage or CGing him off stage. On BF, he'd sometimes go a lil past the edge and under BF and then reverse Up B to basically create a wall btwn him and his opponent so he can recovery safely.

D

Deleted member

yeah, that's a good strat. reverse up B to the edge is also a nasty edge guard, and functions to avoir Marth's counter or Pit's shield that would otherwise gimp him really bad.

Ike is definitely a good character, and his counters are relatively few for what they should be.

He's kind of like a slower, lighter, easier to gimp DK.

Ike's counter might as well not exist.

D

Deleted member

you forgot the other part called "hope my opponent doesn't realize that he can just walk away from me and I'm totally useless".

I don't think spamming beats ike that bad however, but normal camping most certainly does.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Ike's counter is actaully a pretty good KO move. If you're gonan get hit, you know it, and if you never have used it before you can prolly throw it out there at least once... and if your opponent is at high% it can do some damage.

Top Bottom