• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CGing marth... Shield-Cancel grab or regular dash grab, which is better?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Faster, I'm not sure.

Safer, SCG. Dashgrab could still work if you have frame-perfect timing. Of course, if anyone, I'm sure you would be able to pull it off.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
SCG M2K, there is less room for error, and you can get 1 more grab off of Marth before you reach the edge (From 1 side of FD to the other) So its more worth it in the end.

napZzz

Smash Hero
wow lol all these results were so random

so if dash grab is faster, why is SCG safer? sure doesn't seem safer to hit if it's slower, assuming that's true
because marth is probably gonna try to dolphin slash out of it, and if your shield grabbing you might not get hit by it? :S

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Nah, SCG is actually faster, as your grab range is a little more then with Dash Grab, and if your off, unlike Dash grab, SCG could shield his Dolphen Slash, and its not very punishable like Dash grab is.

I should get some Frame data, but in total frames before D3 grabs, I think SCG is about 3 or 4 lower then Dash grab.

CO18

Smash Hero
I dont know which one is faster or whatever.

I can dashing grab and shield cancel grab marth easily but I usually shield cancel grab because they usually try to escape by up+bing and since it is a little harder to time than most characters its safer in case you whiff it.

Also shield cancel grabbing is just better in general since you get more cgs per stage length but whatever floats your boat

leonin

Smash Cadet
???
I though that it was not possible to chaingrab marth,the timing for it must be VERY difficult.........

CO18

Smash Hero
???
I though that it was not possible to chaingrab marth,the timing for it must be VERY difficult.........
yeah its possible. Its harder than everyone except pit.

IMO pit using up+b to escape is much harder than marth.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
Shield canceled grabs are better cause that way, when marth tries to up-B out of your chain grab, you can F-smash his vulnerable lagged face. If you dash grab you might eat an up-B instead.

Oblivinati

Smash Rookie
Doesn't the SCG come out in less frames? You'd have to account for the time it takes for the shield input to be registered, but I'm pretty sure it's still faster.

And like they said, more grabs is more damage is earlier death.

J4pu

Smash Champion
the one that comes out quicker would be safer because when you shield grab there are frames between when your shield is up and when you actually grab, so the shield isn't really protecting you if you are trying to grab from it. just clearing that up since ppl seem to be saying the shield cancel grab is safer just because it has the word "shield" in it.

Joxer

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJej6kCgxVM
laird dont you facepalm me! i'll report you for rudeness! i merely suggested a counter for another tactic, it has nothing to do with not all about grabs, understand, comprehend, then understand!
hur hur, not funny buddy, we're talking about competitive brawl here, get out if you wanna do jokes
Who's being rude now?

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
M2k, i already figured this out.

Shield grab=you can see marth up b start, so bigger chance of it comming out if u mistime a tad

Dashgrab=smooth you dont see marth do a thing, more consistant, i think less total grabs, but safer.

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
???
nah, as long as I use the shield cancelled grabs then I dont have a problem with him... or any other character that can be chaingrabbed. When you dash grab I have a problem with the possibility of getting upb'd in the face.

I just played a marth yesterday and when I just normal dash grabbed he could always get the upb off, but when I used my shield grabs he never once could break the grab... just food for thought

Top Bottom