• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New/Old(?) DK "technique"

Luigi player

Smash Master
Well I'm sure most DKs should know about this, but maybe not all do so...

Just look at the video:
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=BHk6fuPYS9Q

Yeah well basically you use your upB at a platform to go down and then you're lagless/nearly lagless and could maybe surprise your opponent with an attack.

(You shouldn't do it if your opponent is right below you...)

Sorry if it's old or something =/ (but even if it is, does it have a name yet? If not we should probably think of something ^^)

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I'd thought about using something like this before, but I hadn't really gotten around to seeing what it does. Neat idea.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Thanks guys.

You can do this at nearly every stage.

The only ones where you can't do it anywhere are:
FD
Corneria
Bridge of Eldin

I think I tested all other stages and it is always possible somewhere on the stage. ^^

Delfino is a really nice one, because there are many possibilities where you can use it (I also found out about it there).

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
I've known about this, but it's generally better practice to just drop through and bair, I don't generally like to approach with ^B because it isn't disjointed.

Tujex

Smash Ace
But eventually your opponents going to begin to see through Bair's and be on the lookout for it. This is a nice surprise attack to throw into the mix of Bair's/SideB's we use to approach.

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
I guess it's good as a surprise, but if I saw someone doing it consistently, sliding Usmashes (especially from people like Sheik, Snake, etc with mean DACUSes) would destroy it. Good find tho, I should try using this in a match to see how it goes IRL

Luigi player

Smash Master
Yeah nothing is good if you do it all the time... but it can mix up your game every now and then or something.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
But eventually your opponents going to begin to see through Bair's and be on the lookout for it. This is a nice surprise attack to throw into the mix of Bair's/SideB's we use to approach.
thats what spacing is for, just make sure to use the full range of bair and they cant shield grab if you only do one then you can autocancel into tilts and once they are offstage no more approaching to worry about.

The only place I use this is on jungle japes and itLs totally beast.
I do use it on japes occasionally, and i want to say I remember doing it on Norfair?

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
This is nice. You can also use this to grab the ledge, although i dont think that would be the safest approach.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
i tried doing it today but i didnt time it right and ended up with the heavy lag landing animation, so dont mess it up if you're gonna try it!

Luigi player

Smash Master
i tried doing it today but i didnt time it right and ended up with the heavy lag landing animation, so dont mess it up if you're gonna try it!
Yeah if the ground below you on which you want to land is not too far down you should probably stay a bit on the platform during your upB.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
IM about to have 666 post! :evil:

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
You can do it on every stage, that has an edge. Just run off doing an UpB, then return back to the stage.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
he's just using the same technique but in a different direction. its the same principle, theres no new discovery. i know plenty of people who have done it =/

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
he's just using the same technique but in a different direction. its the same principle, theres no new discovery. i know plenty of people who have done it =/
and as you can see by this post, there are many more who haven't yet. It's not a good idea to discourage possible progress in someone's metagame for fear of "everyone probably knows this already, i don't wanna sound like a scrub". Sure, this one may not be game-changing, but it's not in the spirit of progress to sit there and discount anyone's discovery.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Yeah I thought it wouldn't be anything new to some people, but I have never seen someone doing it so I thought I'll just post it.

You can do it on every stage, that has an edge. Just run off doing an UpB, then return back to the stage.
Um yeah but that's not what my thread is about. It's about the laglass landing and that you can move down using your upB and such.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
and as you can see by this post, there are many more who haven't yet. It's not a good idea to discourage possible progress in someone's metagame for fear of "everyone probably knows this already, i don't wanna sound like a scrub". Sure, this one may not be game-changing, but it's not in the spirit of progress to sit there and discount anyone's discovery.
I'm just telling him how old it is. I'm not telling him he sucks for not knowing about it.

Top Bottom