• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NY STATE: Meetup tourney in the middle? Now Searching For Venue.

Sharky

Smash Master
As the title mentions, I'm starting to seriously look around for a venue for this thing. If there's anyone who's also familiar with Syracuse and has any suggestions, let me know!
-Sharky

OK so, first off, background info:

1. From what I can tell there are two tourney scenes in NY: NYC (duh lol) and WNY, which is kinda hidden away, as has been acknowledged before. The two never really get a chance to meet, because Buffalo to NYC is quite a trip. Same with Rochester.

2. I'm in Syracuse, and want to get more smash/start a smash community here in the 'Cuse. =P

3. If this happens, I can show this thread to whoever the Host is so they know there's interest.

Soooo...Here's the beef of the post:

Would anyone (from either side) be interested/supportive of a tourney in Syracuse (CNY) to perhaps let the two communities meet in one big tourney? I'm sure some of my friends in Rochester would love some more competition/a chance to play better players in a place that isn't extremely far away. I dunno much about the NYC smash scene, but hey, it's new competition. I'd be willing to look around for a place to host it here in Syracuse and get it going.

Advice on ruleset from both sides would be both accepted and appreciated. I, personally, would like to stay with SBR rules with some stages changed, but I like input. =)

Soo....comments? Discuss. =D

EDIT: Showing where Syracuse is:

ANTi_

Smash Hero
im apart of Long Island Smash/NYC Smash and i think this will be cool if this happened

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I'm down. People consider NYC the only New York when referring to NY, so it'd be nice to get some recognition.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I'd go, the real issue mostly is that the NYC smash community is fuggin hueg, even if you picked out the really good players that'd actually still be a large number of people, people who are accustomed to not needing much but public transportation to get anywhere.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Matt, if someone can put this together, you win.

If I get the resources and the time in spring, I will lend whatever I can to this effort, as I've wanted it to happen since 2005, LOL. It's really hard getting WNY out because they're fat and lazy and it's hard to get NYC out because buses don't go everywhere outside of their city.

As for the amount of players that attend, that's never the issue. As long as people come out, it doesn't matter how many **** show up, as long as people come out to make magic happen.

D1 and his crew; the Deadliest of Alliances; WNY's A-5-1 and the Buffalo kids...it's been my dream to see them and more meet en masse, but it's real tough. Trust me.

As I've said earlier, I can lend my aid no earlier than spring of 2009. I would volunteer to try to make it happen, but I don't want to disappoint anybody else or myself if I can't make it work. I will do as much as I can, however. Hopefully we can mix and mingle for the first time in a very long time.

Sintros

Smash Journeyman
well not attacking anyone, but it looks like we can do this in Syracuse. I dont know what happened to those monthlies in NYC, but I can support it. Thing is gonna be a heck of a drive and i dont mind car pooling a couple of smashers (for a fee). Will this be NY's new big tourny?

TheGeneral

Smash Journeyman
I go to school at RIT and I've discovered a smash bros club there. It's small but perhaps we could work with you guys to set up a venue on campus and or get some set-ups for whenever this happens.

I understand things are kind of still up in the air but this is pretty exciting. I'm always looking for new people to play against.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
>_> If this is during winter break or spring break I might come even if I'm from NJ... or will I get shunned?

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
If I can find a way to Syracuse then I'd go. There's a spot in NJ DIRECTLY next to Easton...literally. It's called Phillipsburg. From where I live it's probably a 20 minute walk...give or take. Ame don't drive at night, for the sake of his eyes and the other people on the road. I'd go if I could find a way. Also, Syracuse would be an awesome place to hold a tourney. I've been there several times.

Sharky

Smash Master
:yoshi: Matt, if someone can put this together, you win.

If I get the resources and the time in spring, I will lend whatever I can to this effort, as I've wanted it to happen since 2005, LOL. It's really hard getting WNY out because they're fat and lazy and it's hard to get NYC out because buses don't go everywhere outside of their city.

As for the amount of players that attend, that's never the issue. As long as people come out, it doesn't matter how many **** show up, as long as people come out to make magic happen.

D1 and his crew; the Deadliest of Alliances; WNY's A-5-1 and the Buffalo kids...it's been my dream to see them and more meet en masse, but it's real tough. Trust me.

As I've said earlier, I can lend my aid no earlier than spring of 2009. I would volunteer to try to make it happen, but I don't want to disappoint anybody else or myself if I can't make it work. I will do as much as I can, however. Hopefully we can mix and mingle for the first time in a very long time.
I was thinking it'd happen sometime around then, anyway. I figure I'd have to make it decently far in advance so enough people would come, and I want to make sure I have a really good venue, so I'm gonna be pretty particular in my search here.

So yeah...*crosses fingers* Post, people! =D

edit: Of course NJ could come if they wanted to. =P

edit 2: @ The General: lol, I actually went to RIT last year, and helped with getting SHFFL (is it still called that?) started. I've already linked Ian to this thread, I'm waiting for him to say something back to me. lol. I don't know how much I'd trust EGS in running this, though, to be honest. =/

Yo Mang

Smash Rookie
this would be nice for n00bs like me who don't have easy access to NYC and lack a good local scene. I go to uni in binghamton (south of Syracuse, on the PA border) and lack of scene = lack of experience, so an accessible upstate tourney would be super cool.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I go to school at RIT and I've discovered a smash bros club there. It's small but perhaps we could work with you guys to set up a venue on campus and or get some set-ups for whenever this happens.

I understand things are kind of still up in the air but this is pretty exciting. I'm always looking for new people to play against.
How come you never go to the tournaments at Arena then? You should go, they're a lot of fun.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Oswego would come to this, I have melee friends in Syracuse also (FreddyP and Dect)

definitly get in touch yoshinater. with gas this cheap we can go down or you can come up. oswego is down for this ****.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
oh, and i'm talking melee. or melee main event, or melee 60% of the event.

i don't go to brawl things, def won't travel for that.

TheGeneral

Smash Journeyman
How come you never go to the tournaments at Arena then? You should go, they're a lot of fun.
Didn't know they existed, that's why.
And melee or brawl because I'm not really interested in the latter.

And yeah, I wasn't suggesting that egs handle this. I just thought we might be able to borrow a room on campus. I mean the room smash club meets in is pretty nice, although the lunch room in the sau would be much better of course.

Sharky

Smash Master
Well, Mana, I'm afraid it's most likely going to me mostly Brawl, though I'd like to incude both. If there's enough interest, I'll definitely add Melee. It all depends on who comes, and what they want. You want Melee, get Melee people. =P

As I said in the OP, everything's up in the air at the moment. Everything depends on the reception I get here. I'd like to hear more from the NYC crowd, personally. =/

Sharky

Smash Master
Two pages, woot! =D

To everyone that has posted/will post: Let others know! This can only be a reality if we get enough people interested! *lol I sound like a broken record* XD

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Well, Mana, I'm afraid it's most likely going to me mostly Brawl, though I'd like to incude both. If there's enough interest, I'll definitely add Melee. It all depends on who comes, and what they want. You want Melee, get Melee people. =P

As I said in the OP, everything's up in the air at the moment. Everything depends on the reception I get here. I'd like to hear more from the NYC crowd, personally. =/
Every WNY tourny I go to that is supposed to Brawl has more melee friendlies than brawl tourny matches, same with NYC. that ****s alive, the few smashers i know in syracuse are melee. all oswego is melee, there is lots of melee just no tournys bc ppl are afraid. hold both main events side by side, have a big fee like oc3 or something like 30 bucks and ppl enter everything yknow then the money can be made like mad cash

y'all dont even know i keep it real

Kinlap

Smash Apprentice
I'm also in the Binghamton area during school semesters so I'm up for anything if it's during that time as well. I'm a pretty mediocre player though.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind going to an upstate Smash tourney. I'm looking to expand my sights beyond the city, anyway. Syracuse is quite far though... if we could negotiate a "middle ground" between the two, that'd be awesome for both sides of the NY smash spectrum.

Sharky

Smash Master
well Buffalo's over 3 hours away, so the middle would be 4 hours (approximately) An hour east of Syracuse is...not much. Syracuse is the best realistic choice, I think. Besides, I can actually organize something in the Cuse cause I'm here. =P

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Sryacuse is the middleground of NY. You only got like 5 important places anyways:

NYC
Buffalo
Rochester
Syracuse
Albany

of all of them gerographically Syracuse is the most in the middle, then Albany (but that's like 6 hours for buffalonians)

Sharky

Smash Master
Yeah, Syracuse is definitely best IMO, but if anyone else has a better idea, please do tell. And get more people to look at this! =D?

Sharky

Smash Master
get more people to say they're interested and it can be huge. =D

On another note, I need to start hearing from people when the best time would be for this. It won't be until next year, definitely, but what do you guys think?

Sharky

Smash Master
Hmmm....Summer seems kinda far off, but hey, you never know. It's definitely going to be on a weekend, though. lol

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
where is the loev, the love, the love. lets start planning. i say summer too to be honest, even though its far away. there can be mad hype, 2 day event, melee only. those always get good attendance, and if buffalo and nyc showed up and even syracuse ppl itd be huge, i could get albany and troy as well, all big cities of ny would unite and it'd be awesome. taht's never happened before and i think my **** juice leaks thinking about it.

Sharky

Smash Master
I've still got love for it, and I'm gonna keep bumping this until I get some support. >.>

There will be brawl, though. Melee too, but there will be Brawl. =P

TheGeneral

Smash Journeyman
So, Syracuse.... Anyone know of any good venues there? I've never been before, myself.

I already offered RIT up for grabs and when I finally go there, I'll see what's up at the Arena.

We need to just throw up some ideas at this point. Everyone and anyone interested needs to give input. So, Yoshinator, are you planning on being the tourney organizer or is there someone else you had in mind?

Top Bottom