• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu's moveset tier list

M15t3R E

Smash Master
These threads that rate the usefulness of a character's entire moveset have become popular in several other character boards, so I thought we could do one for Pikachu.

Quick Attack
Thunder

High
F-air
Thunderjolt
U-tilt
N-air
U-air
F-smash

Mid
D-throw
F-throw
D-tilt
U-smash
D-smash
F-tilt
B-air
D-air

Low
Skullbash
Jab
Dash attack
B-throw
U-throw

Note: This list is definitely up for discussion and/or changes.

SilverSpark

Smash Journeyman
well, I think that the B-air should be at least bottom-mid-tier

I sometimes use a RAR B-air as a surprise approach, and it usually works wonders

it's also good at trumping other moves because of its good priority, and it's pretty good for edgeguarding

I don't really know if it shield pokes, but it sometimes hits people while they're holding their shield.

Zylar

Smash Ace
I think you forgot the grab pummel.

I'd expected dair to be lowest on mid tier.
I mean, I never use up throw. I only use back throw against an MK for temporal spacing, if I even get a grab, and that;s it.

I also think the jab be higher than back and up throw. So other than that uber accurate.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
lol, grab pummel. That's a part of all 4 grabs. It would be difficult to place it in any tier.
Hmmm... you say dair should be lower mid tier and Spark says bair should be there as well. I'll see how I can change it up.
As for jab... yeah it is rare when I find it useful but then again I use u-throw like once a month... lol.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I say switch dtilt and fsmash. Fsmash deals tons of damage (21% sweet spot/17% sour spot), disjointed hit box, lingering hit box, good range, and good knockback. Also, add dash attack in there somewhere.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
yes add it very low. actually, make it bottom tier with skullbash. really top tier is EXACTLY what i would say. the only big thing i would say is def switch fsmash and dtilt. fsmash is a lot better then dtilt, though dtilt has its uses.

neji32

Smash Lord
I dont think Quick attack should be top tier, high tier yes but not top. Its really only needed at certain times, though its used almost all the time, thats not the appropriate time to use it most the time and it can be punished. But its extreamly good for recovering thats why i think its high tier not top. Would go into detail but im not really sure what im saying right now

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I think Usmash should be higher. fthrow and dthrow are good for chain grabbing but usmash can lead to thunder.

Vv2

Smash Apprentice
Jab better then skull bash
Nair better then Uair
Lag-less or fast fall Bair= high middle / top
Thunder = god tier no other move comes close :p

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I dont think Quick attack should be top tier, high tier yes but not top. Its really only needed at certain times, though its used almost all the time, thats not the appropriate time to use it most the time and it can be punished. But its extreamly good for recovering thats why i think its high tier not top. Would go into detail but im not really sure what im saying right now
This.

10pikas

M15t3R E

Smash Master
IMO, Quick attack is Pikachu's most versatile move:

God-like recovery, spacing, evading, mindgames, QAC combos, racking up some easy damage by QAC'ing through opponents, etc.

If QAC is not top tier, I don't know what is.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Quick Attack
Thunder

High
Thunderjolt
Skullbash
N-air
F-air
F-tilt
F-smash

Mid
D-smash
U-tilt
Jab
U-air
D-throw
F-throw
D-tilt
U-smash
D-air
B-air

Low
Dash attack
B-throw
U-throw
Fixed. Absolutely no way skull bash is bottom tier. It's horizontal range is an amazing aerial and gives pikachu a decent improvement in his aerial game. Rather then waste a jump avoiding aerial attacks, use skull bash and give yourself some distance. Or if your stuck on stage in the air, skull bash off stage and recover to the edge. Or if your hit backwards and want a rapid counter to stop a combo, skull bash into their face. That doesnt even cover its recovery aspect, which allows you to come from under the stage and stay far away from the stage so it becomes virtually impossible for opponents to follow up with an aerial for the kill. And its charge and release at any time ability gives you great leeway to disrupt your opponent, especially if you catch them in the air. So many things you can do with skull bash.

K 2

Smash Lord
You can tech out of D smash too easily :'(
Suprised its actually not lower on the list...
It's SDI, not teching, but yes, it is super easy to SDI out of it.

Oh, that's cool guys. Ignore my version of this thread because I'm unpopular. IT'S HALF-DEAD BECAUSE OF YOU

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197330
I helped with that thread...along with...3 other people...*more dots*

Your thread goes a lot more in depth, but it doesn't list them in a "tier list." Maybe we should combine these two threads?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Tagxy, how long have you been using Pikachu?
Skullbash is one of the most predictable moves in the game unless you use it for recovering or as a point blank countering mechanism (which only works for me situationally).
Additionally I feel much of your list has moves out of place such as d-tilt, u-tilt, d-throw, f-throw, d-smash, u-air, u-smash, and jab.

If you are unsure of why I feel the way I do then ask me specific questions about each move placing you disagree with and I'll be happy to help you understand my thinking.

Silver Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
Fixed. Absolutely no way skull bash is bottom tier. It's horizontal range is an amazing aerial and gives pikachu a huge improvement in his aerial game. Rather then waste a jump avoiding aerial attacks, use skull bash and give yourself some distance. Or if your stuck on stage in the air, skull bash off stage and recover to the edge. Or if your hit backwards and want a rapid counter to stop a combo, skull bash into their face. That doesnt even cover its recovery aspect, which allows you to come from under the stage and stay far away from the stage so it becomes virtually impossible for opponents to follow up with an aerial for the kill. And its charge and release at any time ability gives you great leeway to disrupt your opponent, especially if you catch them in the air. So many things you can do with skull bash.
Yeah, cuz you know Quick Attack can't do any of those things nearly as well as Skull Bash. Not to mention it's so much faster and it's course is flexible enough to not get punished. /sarcasm

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Fixed. Absolutely no way skull bash is bottom tier. It's horizontal range is an amazing aerial and gives pikachu a huge improvement in his aerial game. Rather then waste a jump avoiding aerial attacks, use skull bash and give yourself some distance. Or if your stuck on stage in the air, skull bash off stage and recover to the edge. Or if your hit backwards and want a rapid counter to stop a combo, skull bash into their face. That doesnt even cover its recovery aspect, which allows you to come from under the stage and stay far away from the stage so it becomes virtually impossible for opponents to follow up with an aerial for the kill. And its charge and release at any time ability gives you great leeway to disrupt your opponent, especially if you catch them in the air. So many things you can do with skull bash.
I don't find skull bash very helpful when I use Pikachu. It's too predictable and it has a lot of lag. Plus Pikachu has a lot more aerial options (in fact all of his aerials) that are better than skull bash.

Only time I find it useful is for stalling and recovering right before using QA.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
I don't find skull bash very helpful when I use Pikachu. It's too predictable and it has a lot of lag. Plus Pikachu has a lot more aerial options (in fact all of his aerials) that are better than skull bash.

Only time I find it useful is for stalling and recovering right before using QA.
It depends on how your situated in the air. I love using it against people who come off the edge to finish me off. As an aerial I use skull bash when they are horizontally away, one if an aerial would reach too slowly or I cant get enough distance to get there, or two of they are horizontal and slightly above me, Skull B slows me down and since I fly horizontally will usually connect with where the person will be. Skull bash also gives added aerial movement.

So I wasnt sure where to add this. But I've been testing something out recently and it works on a surprisingly large amount of people. First, from the edge, QA cancel onto and into the stage, but do not QAC. Instead smash attack back towards the edge. For some reason, people think QA has more lag then it does and will come dashing at you for a grab or attack. Instead theyll be greated with a forward smash. And people learn this lesson hard, often doing it several times. Its a good kill move.

K 2

Smash Lord
It depends on how your situated in the air. I love using it against people who come off the edge to finish me off. As an aerial I use skull bash when they are horizontally away, one if an aerial would reach too slowly or I cant get enough distance to get there, or two of they are horizontal and slightly above me, Skull B slows me down and since I fly horizontally will usually connect with where the person will be. Skull bash also gives added aerial movement.

So I wasnt sure where to add this. But I've been testing something out recently and it works on a surprisingly large amount of people. First, from the edge, QA cancel onto and into the stage, but do not QAC. Instead smash attack back towards the edge. For some reason, people think QA has more lag then it does and will come dashing at you for a grab or attack. Instead theyll be greated with a forward smash. And people learn this lesson hard, often doing it several times. Its a good kill move.
If you get sent flying, do a fair, then quickly jump to negate your momentum. I suppose SB would work, but besides for recovering, SB has very limited use.

That won't work...You're better off just QAC onto the stage and fight as you normally do.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
If you get sent flying, do a fair, then quickly jump to negate your momentum. I suppose SB would work, but besides for recovering, SB has very limited use.
People tend to think that because they dont use it. QAC had limited use for a little while too. Skull Bash is a rare type of aerial horizontal movement, it would be a shame to not exploit that. I think people tie it to its attack properties too much, but this would be a good skill even if skull bash had no attack properties. The fact that it turns pikachu into a missile only adds to its versatility. i.e. as an edge guard, jump, skull bash, jump, attack, skull bash back, QA.

That won't work...You're better off just QAC onto the stage and fight as you normally do.
It wont work if you dont try, its easy to see when itll work because theyll come dashing after your QA. It's quite hilarious :laugh: . I'll trade a smash for a QAC, it doesnt really hurt if you miss.

Van Jones

Smash Lord
Lol, you guys still have QA too high. Also, Skull Bash is only useful for recovery purposes. More often than not, you will get punished for trying to use SB for anything other than recovering.

MonkE67

Smash Cadet
I actually disagree with several of these.

I don't get why U-air and F-air are high tier. I don't find them to be that useful. I'd say F-air should be mid tier and U-air should be mid or low tier. Instead of doing a U-air, I'd much rather N-air. I think you're supposed to combo with U-air, but no matter how much I try, I can never combo with it.

I think U-smash should be lowish tier. I find it to be kinda useless. Dash U-smashing is pointless, because its amazingly easy to shield grab. At low percents, if you U-smash someone, the knockback is low, so your basically giving them a free aerial on you. It's only useful when they're at high percents, and even then, you might as well do a different attack with just as good, if not better results.

Also, imo, F-tilt deserves to be high tier. It's pretty fast with decent knockback, and it's a great way to keep an opponent at a distance.

K 2

Smash Lord
what...? ^^^

Uair is perfect for juggling and comboing, you can easily rack up 30-40% damage the the beginning of the match with a grab, utilt, and uair combo.

Fair is pika's best aerial. It has low landing lag, which allows it to be combo'd into other moves. It also does around 12% if you hit will the whole move.

usmash should stay in middle tier, along with ftilt...

Khanxay

Smash Cadet
I'm curious as to why the jab attack is so low. It's THE GTF AWAY move, can make the opponent trip, is the solution to someone who sidesteps too much, and a nice taunt.

K 2

Smash Lord
I think jab should be low middle tier. It's definitely one of pikachu's underused moves. It's quick and has nice priority for a jab. It's also really annoying to get stuck in jab furies so it might disrupt/annoy your opponent.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I placed jab above Dash Attack, but it's still in low tier because can't put it above skullbash imo.

Monk E, uair is amazing for juggling and fair is amazing for comboing. Dashing u-smashes can be a good follow-up after a f-throw. F-tilt has limited range and can be shieldgrabbed, so d-tilt is usually a better option.

Top Bottom