• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Grabables - #1 Wario/Meta knight

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi's Shield Grabable List

Ive notice alot of yoshis have some shield trouble because of yoshi's bad options, so im making a list of atacks which yoshi can shield grab to expand the few option yoshi has out of his shield

i need testers to help me im not sure when ill get my wii back.
Wario
Easy
-dash attack
-dsmash
-upsmash
-

Medium
-

Hard
-

Meta Knight
Easy
-

Medium
-

HARD
-Dsmash

Peach

Snake

Zero Suit Samus

Olimar

Lucas

Diddy Kong

Pokémon Trainer

King Dedede

Lucario

Ike

R.O.B.

Toon Link

Wolf

Pit

Sonic

Mario

Donkey Kong

Link

Samus

Yoshi

Marth

Mr. Game & Watch

Falco

Kirby

Fox

Pikachu

Luigi

Captain Falcon

Ness

Jigglypuff

Bowser

Zelda

Sheik

Ice Climbers

Ganondorf

Mmac

Smash Lord
At first, I also all like

Then when I thought of it, I was like

Then I took a nap

Then I had to go to Wal Mart to get more Wii Points

Now, I can actually see this being somewhat useful knowing what moves can be actually safe to Shield Grab against, and will actually have an effective counter on some moves, and will make our shield game somewhat more useful. I'll see what I can find

Edit: Testing by myself, I can already see a flaw that Yoshi's Shield Slides when hit, this makes the option pretty impractical and risky, However Powershields don't slide and can even punish MetaKnights Dsmash without problem! However, Powershielding with Yoshi is very hard due to the laggy nature of his shield, so you probably have to Dash Grab OOS to actually grab them if you slide.

Although it's still interesting to know that he can shield grab MetaKnights Dsmash. I'm going to focus on Dash Grab OOS because overall it just seems more universally useful than a straight Shield Grab

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Yoshi's shield grab just sucks its pretty much the most laggy shield grab in the game its not even worth using IMO

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I prefer to slide and Grab then well...ya.
Yoshi's grab is laggy, and the slide can mess up their spacing and due to the length of the tongue it could actually be beneficial to Slide >.> IMO >.>

Well first of all >.>
You can't Shield grab the Warlock Punch unless you Power shield =P.
I believe you can SG Pikachu's F-smash.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
ok so ill be testing this today, i find that it can be use as a surprising tactic cause u never see a yoshi shield grab, also u can grab in the middle of the slide u just gotta press it right after u get hit, ill test later today well start with on person at a time so it can be eazier for me to find

so start with wario

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
interesting idea, yeah i don't usually go for a sheild grab and it would be nice to know when its safe

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Yeah, people seem to be grounded a lot around here... *looks at Chaco*

Anyways, even though I haven't tested it (since I'm unable to), I can safely say that you can't shield-grab any of Wario's attacks except for his d-smash and MAYBE his f-smash.

Airborne

Smash Lord
i can get right on it tomorrow and tuesday night if you want me too. i'll also see if anything varies under certain circumstances.... also, NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER shield Dk's nair to headbutt combo.... both hits grant instant shield break 100% of the time... o.O

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
seems like u'd need 2 ppl to test...i'd try to make the opponent spot dodge or do quick A attack between hitting yoshi and the sheild grab attempt just for comparison

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
well i can brawl today so ill be testing wario and meta knight if anyone wanna help me just give me a message snd i know clearly the yoshi's shield grab sucks but i just wanted to test this cause iv gotten some wierd shield grabs when i tested this

Big Red

Smash Journeyman
I bet Yoshi could drop his shield and do a dash grab before he could shield grab. Yoshi's shield really sucks, don't use it unless you are powershielding.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
ok people ive main brawl yoshi just as long as you guys i should knwo it sucks still it would be useful to know anyway...

im starting up da thread again soi will also make a part with dash grab out of shield for u ppl >.>

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
This looks useful.

You can shield grab Marth's dancing blade, though it's really only practical after the fourth hit, which you won't see too often if you've shielded the other hits. Still, worth knowing.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I like using the Shield Grab on other "get up" attacks. More often than not people with press A after they get hit to the ground. It's great.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
I wish I could help, I just don't think i would be able to find someone who'd be willing to spend their time on this.

The only shield grabable attacks that i can think of from the top of my head are mk's forward and downsmash. Those are really important. mk players tend to be a bit mindless. When they see you shielding, they usually go in pressure yoshi's shield mode. Sometimes it's really hard to get away from rolls and dodges. But if you can get a shieldgrab in, not only would you get away safely....you would get a free cg to upsmash.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
I wish I could help, I just don't think i would be able to find someone who'd be willing to spend their time on this.

The only shield grabable attacks that i can think of from the top of my head are mk's forward and downsmash. Those are really important. mk players tend to be a bit mindless. When they see you shielding, they usually go in pressure yoshi's shield mode. Sometimes it's really hard to get away from rolls and dodges. But if you can get a shieldgrab in, not only would you get away safely....you would get a free cg to upsmash.
I tested this out, and while shield grabbing MK's dsmash works fine, you have to perfect shield his fsmash to shield grab it. Otherwise you'll get pushed too far back.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Wario's upsmash. For his fsmash, you need to perfect shield in order to shield grab it; if you just shield it normally, it pushes you too far back.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
please up its difficulty easy, medium or hard so i can correctly place it.
also i wont add perfect shielding cause its not gonna happen often enough that ur reaction is to shield grab

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
please up its difficulty easy, medium or hard so i can correctly place it.
also i wont add perfect shielding cause its not gonna happen often enough that ur reaction is to shield grab
Dsmash is easy. I guess upsmash would also be easy (a little hard to tell when testing by yourself, which is also why I only tested the smashes). While I see what you mean about the frequency of Yoshi perfect shielding, I still think, for the sake of completeness, you should add perfect shielding. We are going for a complete list of shield grabable moves.

Edit: The Warios have a stickied frame data thread where they give frame advantages. Yoshi grabs on frame 17. Wario spotdodges on frame 2. The following moves have enough lag so that Yoshi has enough time to grab before Wario can dodge (number of frames Yoshi has to grab in parentheses). This list does NOT account for spacing (especially significant for the aerials) or the pushback these moves on Yoshi's shield (except dash attack, upsmash, and dsmash, which can be grabbed, and fsmash, which requires a perfect shield). It would be great if someone could test that (I won't have access to a Wii for a couple days).

• 2nd jab (4)
  • dash attack (28)
  • dtilt (11)
  • ftilt (3)
  • utilt (7)
  • dsmash (51)
  • fsmash (14)
  • upsmash (8)
  • fair (auto-canceled, 6)
  • bair (auto-canceled, 9)
  • uair (auto-canceled, 9)

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Jab and utilt can be grabbed. Ftilt and dtilt depend on the spacing. With ftilt, you really need to be in his face when you shield his ftilt, otherwise you won't be able to grab. With dtilt, you should be able to shield grab him unless he hits you with the tip of his finger. I haven't tested pushback on the aerials, since it's hard using 2 controllers at the same time (not that Wario should be getting himself in position to let you shield grab his aerials anyway).

I guess I'd call ftilt hard, dtilt and jab medium, and utilt easy. I'd also suggest posting the relevant frame data, if available (how frames Yoshi has available to shield grab, which for Wario, is listed in my previous post), and any relevant spacing notes, in addition to ranking the moves according to "easy", "medium", and "hard."

Top Bottom