• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

U-Smash Invincy frames

aeghrur

Smash Champion
We should find out when these are... like, seriously.
If you test at 1/4th speed with 2 sonics, one doing homing attack, one doing U-smash, and the distance apart should be the diamond from FD. The one doing homing attack will eventually not lock on. I'm serious, done this 3 times today. :O I can't record, nor is it consistent, but I know there's invincy frames there. I think Tenki does too. Point is, we should find out when U-smash has invincy frames. I know it's near the apex of the jump. =/ Who knows, it could be helpful. :O

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I can tell you that it's not when Sonic is initiating the attack, because I've had other Sonic players lock on to my USmash when the hitbox is out (but it doesn't even matter, HA gets overriden by the USmash, this move has some crazy-a** priority.)

But that's all I can say, I don't have any recording devices, let alone one that can capture frame-by-frame.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Eh, the time frame of the invincy frames ain't exactly huge, but it's there. You have to let the other sonic start with the homing attack first, go U-smash and just keep trying, lol. That's for me anyhow. T_T

Boxob

Smash Champion
It's not need to know exactly when it's invincible.

Just get a general idea of when, and use it when you know it will work.

:093:

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I've been banging on about this for months.

We need to know this, just so it puts my mind at rest.

And it's nice to see someone's finally found a use for Homing Attack.

Browny

Smash Hater
wtf get out of under your rocks people

I already proved this weeks ago. Its not invincible, its just very disjointed since sonics hurtbox is shrunk way below what you would think. there is not a single melee, ground based attack in the game that can hit him so it makes it dead set impossible to test however lasers will still hit him every time.

Even the likes of ike fsmash and snake utilt can not hit sonic out of it because they hit in an arc... ill draw a pic in paint lol
---
actually no stuff that

You can see quite clearly its not invincible when spaced properly, it will clank with snake utilt. however if you try to get any closer, snake will get hit and sonic takes no damage since snakes hitbox isnt a giant rectangle, its more like a semi-circle. there was no range i found vs ikes fsmash where sonic could get hurt, it didnt even clank before ike started getting hit

its the combination of the tiny hurtbox and relatively large disjoint on the usmash which makes it seem invincible since no ground attack will ever beat it (unless of course they get in range, then attack while hes spinning) vs aerials however its not so clear. but lasers still also hit thereofre not invincible :/

Boxob

Smash Champion
wtf get out of under your rocks people

I already proved this weeks ago. Its not invincible, its just very disjointed since sonics hurtbox is shrunk way below what you would think. there is not a single melee, ground based attack in the game that can hit him so it makes it dead set impossible to test however lasers will still hit him every time.

Even the likes of ike fsmash and snake utilt can not hit sonic out of it because they hit in an arc... ill draw a pic in paint lol
actually no stuff that
We get it, really.

If you cannot be hit out of an attack, it is invincible.

l2smart.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I think what Boxob said was kind of mean... but still technically correct...

If you can't get hit out of it, you are invincible...?

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Lol browny means its not invincible by traditional terms. he did say lasers will still hit you outof it didnt he? And seeing as you cana void teh zap zap with invincy frames but not this, its not invincible. Just uber duper prioritarian prioritification.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Well, seeing as IASA frames aren't referred to as IASAF, I left it as UDPP.
At least I'VE never seen them referred to as IASAF...

aeghrur

Smash Champion
That's because no one ever says my IASA frames can beat out your Upsmash. lol.
:p My UDPPF>Ike's Fsmash.
So much shorter because we didn't say frames. :) See, how Frames into F helps? :D

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
It doesnt have invincibility frames, it just has higher priority with the first player controller port. I already did research on this months ago, and came to that conclusion, or it simply hops over the attack if the attack is low.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
>.< Priority doesn't explain the not locking on homing attack. Explain that to me... Please. T_T

NFS (sonic)

Smash Cadet
thnx though, but u-smash doesnt hav invincibility,
it jus has high priority for majority of the move
homing attack sucks, except for recovery

aeghrur

Smash Champion
thnx though, but u-smash doesnt hav invincibility,
it jus has high priority for majority of the move
homing attack sucks, except for recovery
THAT'S WHAT THE WHOLE THREAD HAS SAID!!!
Yet no one says why Homing attack misses. Not even locks on misses. >_>
DJ's idea might explain it I guess...
And ROOOOOY!, what do you mean? O_O
Anyhow, do people know the frames for these UDPPFs?

Tenki

Smash Hero
THAT'S WHAT THE WHOLE THREAD HAS SAID!!!
Yet no one says why Homing attack misses. Not even locks on misses. >_>
see, I'm with you there. Normally, I'd also settle for "this move is probably just disjoint".

But I've seen the HA not locking on to a Sonic performing U-smash waay too many times to completely write off invincibility frames.

Is it the U-smash, or is it some kind of property for HA? Are there any other moves that surround the opponent's hitbox (that DON'T have invincibility) that somehow discourages HA from locking in?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Is it possible that Hyphening the U-Smash might've sent one Sonic too far away to make another Sonic's HA not lock on to it or something?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
sonics up smash has a really big hitbox and a really small hurt box
lasers can still hit sonics upsmash.
lasers have transcedent priority
MKs sword has transcendent priority
MK can beat sonics up smash
MK even more>>> sonic

medoinitrite?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Invincibility frames. I've been able to shoot Fox's laser through the centre of Sonic's blue spinny ball of his up-smash. It's somewhere in the first few frames of when he's a spinning blue hitbox. I can get a vid up tomorrow, if ppl want.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
The timing may be ambiguous right now, but this does deserve looking into. I've blown thouogh Kirby's Drill Kick with an Up Smash before, it was golden steak. I think it may be the part in between the charging animation and the ball, when he is rising, before he goes into ball form.

and ifzy, you need to put that vid, up. even if tenki himself said not too. And Chuck Norris.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Is it possible that Hyphening the U-Smash might've sent one Sonic too far away to make another Sonic's HA not lock on to it or something?
No, I did not hyphen. I simply stood a diamond apart, used HA from one sonic, used Usmash from the other, and watched as HA did neither lock in nor hit.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Homing Attack never locks onto or hits anything.

You may be noticing a theme to my recent posts....

I'm interested in that video anyway Infzy.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
Invinicibility frames wouldnt make HA miss anyway. only dodging frames.

My guess is that... sonic's original location is put into dodge frames during usmahes execution, and then a new smaller hurt box is created for him in his usmash location.

So this would basicly be like... imagine if: .. marth got dodge frames on his fsmash, you would still be able to hit his extended hurtbox from the swing, but do you think HA would lock onto that extended hurt box?

anyway... thats just a thoery that could make sense.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Sonic's upsmash is way too good.

In a friendly recently, I upsmashed through Kirby's downB.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah...that was...odd.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I don't think he has Invincible frames... I think it's simply that he leans back and avoids the attack. Espy, you don't have video footage of the kirby dair do you?

That would make the most logical sense. Otherwise Sonic is just that awesome and he has like a frame or two of superarmor... but I didn't take damage so yeah....

Also, game and watch most certainly did not land on the platform

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6bIamYpm1I#

MAKE SURE YOU WATCH IN HIGH QUALITY NEWCOMERS

Tenki

Smash Hero
I think what it does is 'shoot' a disjointed attackbox upwards before he jumps up there with his hurtbox.

But the real issue is whether he has invincibility/dodge frames somewhere in that point, because there have been issues of going through things like Ike F-smash or a nearby Homing Attack not locking on to Sonic during U-smash.

Top Bottom