• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Show Me Ya Moves! An In-depth Look at Everything Falcon (V 2.2 // last update 2/1)

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you

This guide is for people new to Falcon, and people that have been playing him for a while. It shows every technique and combo discovered so far, videos, links to other guides, Match-up tips, Falcon necessities, an in depth look at all of his attacks, attack strings, approaching, prediction and mindgames and methods of preserving yourself. Everything in this guide will e thouruoghly explained, and if you have ANY questions, use the stickied q&a thread or PM me and I'll help in every way I can. By doing this guide I am in no way saying I'm the best Falcon, because I'm far from it. I do however, think i know a lot about how Falcon is meant to be played, and effecitve methods of beating opponents. Hopefully a lot of users will contribute to this and we can make it bigger and better.

How credit works: If you give me information on something I have missed out and I copy + paste it into the guide you get credit AT THAT PART AND AT THE END. If you tell me about something and I write it in in my own words, you get credit only AT THE END. All info is greatly appreciated.

Contents
Intro
Dictionary of terms
Techniques
Mock Wave-land
Jab Cancelling
Ledge Hopping
Wall Jumping
Edge Grab From Stage
Ledge Cancelled Falcon kick
Falcon Punch and Dive Reversal
Pivot Wave grab (PWG)
Sliding Jabs
LC shielded F-smash
Wall jump auto land
Lingering Knee
True Combos
D-air > Knee (and variations)
SH Knee > jab
Wario grab release CG and followups
Ness Grab Release > Falcon Dive
N-air and U-air Auto Cancelling
Falcon kick GFSC
The Nudge combo
The "Yes" Combo
The Gentleman
Falcon necessities
Simple Effective Damage building
Effective KO'ing
Attack strings and follow-ups
Prediction, reading opponents and mindgames
Falcon's attack properties
How to survive and keep stocks (coming soon)
Approaching (coming soon)
Character matchups and CP's (coming soon)

Intro
Everyone knows that falcon is currently the worst character in the game, jokes are made, fun is had. But, the character rankings list (based soley on tournament results) tells a different story. Falcon is 5th lowest in the game in tournaments. This is hope, but hope is nothing without work. So we, as Falcon mains need to get out and advance him as much as possible. Take him to tourneys, test new approaches, match-ups, combos, AT's ANYTHING! We need to maintain these results, and to do so we have to keep up with the evergrowing advancement in this game. This guide is made to teach you all things Falcon, and I will try this guide will include EVERY new major and not so major Falcon discovery. This is to educate you about everything Falcon can do so that you have the best possible chance of advancing him. So get reading.

Falcon is a bad character, there is no denying that. If you don't like that I suggest you don't play Falcon. He has few very effective approaches, and it has thus been said by all pros that he is a punishing character, which means that he has to lure opponents into traps, trick opponents into a less favourable situation and learn to read and predict opponents. Most of his kill moves are laggy and hard to connect, but he has two great ones. The knee, F-air, can kill as low as 60% and is moderately easy to land when you get used to it. This should be your prime kill move, and you should try to set up to it as much as possible. B-air, has a big range, is a good spacer, Ac's and is quick. It, however, is much less powerful than the knee, killing at about 100%. He has little trouble getting the opponents percents up, I find.

I think a big part of Falcon's metagame is strings and edge guarding. Strings are combinations of attack linked together in a way which is hard to escape, and because of Falcon's speed these can be just that. These strings often involve jab cancelled grabs, D-throws, U-airs N-airs and B-airs, and then ending in a Knee for the kill. Edge guarding is hitting your opponent away when they are trying to recover so that they either get more damage or die. It is great for both. Ultimately I think Falcon is a character doomed to stay low, but I think with work form our Falcon mains we could move him up a few spots.

Dictionary of Terms
DACUS:
Dash Attack Cancelled Up Smash. This is a technique in which a character cancels their Dash attack into and U-smash which will cause it to slide far. It is also known as Snakedashing, for snakes, which slides crazily far. Unfortunately, Falcon's slides a very short distance, shorter than his running U-smash. It can also be cancelled into a grab, which is called boost cancelling, and an item toss, DACIT.

Dash Dancing:
An advanced technique previously believed to be removed from Brawl since Melee, but soon discovered to be able to be done by every character, even though tripping ruins it. It is simply the act of running back and forward on the spot continuously. It was used for mindgames in Melee, as the opponent wouldn't know which way you were going. It is near useless now. Falcon has the best one in the game.

DI:
Inputting a direction on the control stick after being launched away. This will cause your trajectory to curve, and could be the difference between life and death.

Disjointed hitbox:
A hitbox which isn't part of the character using it. That means that if you hit it they will not receive any damage or knock back. A good example is Marth's sword, and actually, all swords.

Fall special:
After using certain specials (or "B" moves) you will be put into a state in which you cannot attack or do anything but move slightly or Fast fall. Falcon gets put into this state by RB and Falcon Dive, but if Falcon Dive connects he doesn't.

Fast Falling:
Holding down when falling to quicken your falling speed. Good for avoiding punishment and for combos.

Footstool:
Jumping off of your opponent's head, either in midair, on the ground, on the ledge, wherever! You can perform a maximum of 4 before landing. The opponent will be in a helpless state after being footstooled, and you can use this on the ground for a GFSC (grounded foot stool combo) with FK. It can also be used for edge guarding.

Foxtrot:
An advanced technique performed by dashing quickly, stopping, starting again, and repeating that. Although it may seem useless, it is quicker than running for some characters.

Hitstun:
the time during which a character cannot move after being hit by an attack This is what makes combos combos, and there is a lack of it in Brawl, the main argument for why Brawl is rubbish and everyone should play Melee.

Hyphen Samsh:
A dashing U-smash. The U-smash continues with the momentum of the dash and slides. It is good for Falcon and is a great punisher.

IASA frames:
Interruptable as soon as frames. It means thee are frames in an attack which you can use attacks in, even when still in the lag. I believe most aerials landing lag have them, and also its how DACUS works.

Lag:
The time in which a character can do nothing at the beginning or end of an attack. This is cancelled if you are hit by something with knock back. One example of an attack with large starting lag is FP.

Powershield:
Shielding at the exact time a move would have connected. This has no shield stun, doesn't take any time off your shield, and creates a distinct metallic sound. You can reflect projectiles, but they do not damage enemies or give any knockback.

Short Hop:
Tapping the jump button to initiate a tiny jump, half the size of a usual jump.

Spamming:
Using one attack or tactic a lot during a fight. This is "cheap" and "unfair" according to some players, but you can do whatever the hell you want if your Falcon. They really can't give you any grief about it unless they are also a Falcon, and if they do you can unleash merry hell on their ***'.

Sweetspotting - Attacks:
Hitting the opponent with a certain hitbox on an attack, generally the more powerful superior one. Falcon's F-air, the knee has a sweetspot in which the opponent gets electrified and receive huge knock back.

Sweetspotting - The Legde:
Going close enough to the edge that you will grab it. Thats all.

WoP (wall of Pain):
Repeating a fast aerial or fast aerials on an opponent and creating a "wall" of attacks that it is hard to pass. Falcon can wall fairly well with B-air and U-air, but not for long periods of time because it gets predictable. Typically, the attacks won't be shield grabbable. A good example of an effective wall is Marth's F-air.

Acronyms Meanings:
AC - Auto Cancelled
FF - Fast Fall/Falled
SH - Short Hop
FH - Full Hop
RB - Raptor Boost (Falcon's Side-B/Over-B)
FK - Falcon Kick (Falcon's Down-B)
FP - Falcon Punch (Falcon's Nuetral-B)
LC - Ledge cancelled
SS - Sweetspotted
FD - Final Destination
BF - Battle Field
SA - Super Armour
AD - Air Dodge
SD - Self Destruct/Spot Dodge

Techniques

Mock Wave-land (dicovered by BananaTrooper (confirmation?))
Simply Raptor Boost (side-B, over-B) into an angled platform. you will slide across the ground, and while doing that you can perform various attacks. This is a lot like a wavedash, although it can be done only on angled platforms (even the tiniest angles!) and has the initial startup lag of the RB. It can slide much farther though.The most effective attacks are by far jab or grab, although jab cancelled grab is better than just grab (jab cancelling explained later). This is becuase some attacks will cancel the momentum created by the RB. grab, jab, all Falcon's tilts, shield and SD will not cancel momentum, unfortunately, all other attacks will.This can be done on a lot of stages in a lot of places, and I will get a full list up when I have time. note that the earlier the Raptor Boost hits the platform, the further the slide, unless you hit it immidiately after doing the RB, in which case you slide almost nothing. Note that this is predictable and punishable if used often, so be careful using it. It seems to work best for getting up of the ledge on stages like Yoshi's Island (Brawl) and Lylat Cruise, both as a defensive option and an approach.

MWL can be done on a lot of stages, in a lot of areas, I'm going to list all of them and the areas, regardless of whether or not they are banned.
Here you go:

Delfino Plaza:
-Various shapes of the main travelling platform.
-The island with a link to the underground, the sides are slanted.
-The main square, the stairs at both sides.
-The roof of the houses just off the square, the 4 slanted roofs in the middle.
-The fountain area, the stairs.
-The Shine Tower, the curve at the center.
-The island with the green pipe, the sides are slants.

Luigi's Mansion:
-On the bottom level, at either sides there are tiny stairs.

Mario Circuit:
-The tracks that aren't the floating platform.

Rumble Falls:
-Various slanted platforms, curved platforms and wooden stairs.
-When you come to an inconsistency in the waterfall, at the grey stone platform, below the stairs.

The Pirate Ship:
-On both sides of the ship.
-When the hurricane comes, anywhere, because it tilts the entire stage.
-On the brick island, the rightmost area.

Frigate Orpheon:
-The second phase, the middle there are two outwards slopes on the main platform.

Yoshi's Island:
-At both sides, beside the ledges.
-On the tilting platform.
-On the tiny curves from the middle outwards.

Halberd:
-The two sides near the ledges on the travelling platform.

Lylat Cruise:
-Everywhere, the stage tilts.

Pokemon Stadium 2:
-The conveyor Belts in the electric phase, each has two angles at each side.
-The wind phase, both sides near the ledges have very slight angles.
-The ground phase, the hill of mud and the lower platform on the mine.
-The ice phase, both platforms.

Spear Pillar:
-When that Pokemon tilts the stage, everywhere.

Port Town Aero Dive:
-the phase when you are on top of that big ship thing.

Castle Siege:
-The big angle in the middle of the first phase, on top of the castle.
-The second phase, the main hallway bit, the two banners in both top corners.
-The third phase, the fiery bit, the platform tilts, everywhere.

Distant Planet:
-The slope on the left.
-The monster thing.

New Pork city:
-Various platforms.
-The ship in the middle.

The Summit:
-Everywhere, the stage slides at an angle.

Skyworld:
-The bottom left corner, beside the ledge.

Pictochat:
-LOADS OF PLACES.
-The two angles beside the ledges.

Hanenbow:
-Any leaves, they tilt when hit.

Green Hill Zone:
-The big curve in the middle >.>

temple:
-Loads of places.

Yoshi's island(melee):
-The pipes.
-The mountain.

Onett:
-The roofs of both houses.
-The tiny roof above the door on the yellow house.
-The electricity pole above the blue house.

Corneria:
-The back of the ship, on the rocket booster.
-The vertical wing.
-The nose.
-The middle, leading to the nose.

Rainbow cruise
-The main ship, leading to the nose.
-Various platforms and tilting platforms throughout the stage.

Big Blue:
-Everywhere, the stage tilts.

Brinstar:
-Either platform, once the connector slimy thing has been broken.
-The main platform, its very inconsistent.

Pokemon Stadium:
-The windmill phase, The rotors of the windmill and the wooden bridge which the windmill stands on.
-The grass phase, the two hills in the middle.
-The fiery scene, the tree and the ground beside the burning house.
-The rock scene, the two slanted platforms, and the top of the mountain.

Videos: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9KvzuCp_qG0 (basic look)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wrA0CloSu10 (Attacking with it)

Further reading: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=194614 - Ayaz18's in-depth look.

Jab cancelling
The idea of this is to be able to do any of the three phases of your jab before the multi-jab section, then immidiately be able to go into another attack to make a combo. The most common use of this is jab jab > grab. This requires no other button input other than those for the attacks mentioned. This method works for all attacks that don't use the A button (or whatever button you use to do the simple attacks). You can cancel from the 1st jab, the 2nd or the 3rd. The first is not recommended; if you get the first in always go for the second. The third takes good, precise timing so as not to go into the multi-jab, which obviously cannot be cancelled. I would recommend learning to cancel the third, but as long as you learn to cancel the second you will be fine. It becomes more tricky when you come to using an "A" move after a phase of the jab. After doing any phase of the jab, there is a period of time in which, if you press the button that you used to jab (even when its combined with another button) you will go onto the next phase of the jab. But there is a way to cancel this lag, so you can jab cancel into a jab then grab, or whatever. This is useful for getting easy percents in, and doing The Gentleman Combo(see the combo section). To play Falcon at a high level you must be able to do this, because jab cancelled grab is one of the base foundations of Falcon's game. There's not a lot much more to say about this, its very simple and easy to do once you get used to it.

Videos: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hR2nmZMMaR8

Ledge hopping
Very simple, but good for catching out opponents unsuspecting and mixing up your ledge game to remain unpredictable. Simply, when hanging on a ledge, tap away from the ledge then IMMIDIATELY tap the jump button to jump back up. DI in towards the stage and do any aerial you want while doing this. The knee is great for unsuspecting opponents, although VERY shield grabable, punishable and you should want to save the knee for a kill so it is undiminished. I find U-air the best choice because it combos well, Isn't very punishable and is quick, along with its great range. You can do anything you want though, even a Falcon punch if your opponent is stupidly doing something very punishable. Mixing this up with straight out ledge attack, ledge stalls and rolling/jumping onto the stage will make it much harder (and riskier) for opponents to succesfully edgegaurd you. This is something Falcon mains need to learn, although it is very easy.

Ledge hops can also be done to edge gaurd and to kill. For opponents using an Up-B attack (with a small hitbox above them) below you while you are on the ledge, push down then jump > D-air to get an easy kill, then us Up-B to recover. This works well against Wario and TL, if you want to try it out. Also ledge hopped B-airs are good for edge gaurding.

Videos: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=snePU4qEaus

Wall jumping
You will probably know how to do this, but I'll explain it and its uses anyway. Basically, jump towards a wall, then when you are about to hit it, tap away from it. You will jump away from it, and be able to attack the opponent. This is great for edgegaurding, especially on Final Destination (fall from the ledge then wall jump) using the knee to keep them away. U-air also, if you plan on keeping knee for the kill and this edge guard is just for damage building. You can also do this to RB into the stage, as an alternate method of returning to the stage. This can be done in almost every stage, so listing them is pointless. You can do it even off the ledge on FD, but its hard to miss the sweetspot. Be aware that you travel far more distance on stages without lips (IE, not FD), practice it a few times on stages like BF and Smashville, just so you get the spacing right.

Videos: Very simple concept, so you shouldn't really need any, but here: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BlLT1zqDEsA (not Falcon, but you should get the idea)

Edgegrab from stage
There are actually two practical ones; the half circle method or the Raptor Boost method. I never really payed attention the the half circle one, because I found the Raptor Boost way is far easier. This is necessary for edge guarding, because when you grab a ledge, an opponent can't, and also, you get a period of invincibility, which means they can't hit you off it. There is also one very rare difficult one, which requires very precise spacing using a LC Falcon kick.

The Raptor Boost method:
Simply run off the stage, then immediately FF and Raptor Boost towards the stage. This is almost a necessity for Falcon, as edge guarding is important to his game. You should not hear any sound, and should only see a quick flash of red at his fist, then him on the ledge. Then you know you have done it correctly. You can also do it without the flash of red, although this is very hard. Be sure to practice it, as there is nothing more ridiculous than running off the edge then FK'ing to your doom.

Videos: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NcqqkXMk6RM

The half circle method:
If you dash towards the edge and at the last moment do a half circle turn with your analog stick you should grab the edge from the stage. The timing for it depends on the character. It's easiest with Luigi.
Thanks very much to Roderick for the quote.

The LC FK method:
The spacing must be very precise. Just Falcon kick from the correct distance towards the ledge, and you will ledge cancel the FK and fall onto the ledge. This may not have any apparent uses, but it does for mindgames. For instance, consider a Ganondorf recovering. He could recover medium height so that he lands on the stage, but to a Falcon in the middle of the stage that leaves him punishable, so, as most Ganondorfs do, he decides to recover low and try to sweetspot the ledge to remain safe. Then, just before he does his up-B, when he is to far away to recover onto the stage, you FK and grab the ledge. Epic.

Ledge cancelled Falcon kick
Falcon kicking so that the end of the Falcon kick reaches the edge at the precise point and cancels the ending lag. Falcon must not roll off the edge, but must fall, so he is immediately in control. This can be done into any aerial, a jump, and B-move, an AD, and to grab the ledge. If you go for an aerial, the best option is to go for a knee. The knee has the farthest reaching hit box in front of it, apart from N-air, which you would only get the first kick in with anyway (because you can only get both in at the apex of a jump). At low percents it connects, good for damage building and an OK edgegaurd, and at higher percents you get the flubbed knee > u-air fantastic edgegaurd combo. Using your second jump after it would be strictly for edge guarding if an opponent is recovering high, although it can be used for mindgames. Really there is no reason to AD or do a special, as there are better options.

Videos: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq8s5P_u40

Falcon Punch and Dive reversal
Basically turning the attack around immidiately after doing it. Useful for if you make a mistake or the opponent DI unexpectedly. Simply, after you have pressed either of the attacks, slam the contorl stick in the other direction. If you are having trouble with it, I reccomend trying to do it with Falcon Punch (because its easier) in traning on 1/4 speed. Note that Falcon Dive will have NO physical differences if it is reversed, although Reverse Falcon punch takes slightly longer, does one more % damage and has slightly more knockback.

Videos: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PQXKDzgq6kw

Pivot Wave grab (PWG)
Run at an opponent. When you are going through them, slam the other direction on the control stick and the grab button. If your controller setup is awkward, you can tap shield plus A to do it. The result is you will slide away from your opponent, doing a grab. The advantages are:

-It is a standing grab animation, less ending lag.
-You slide away, leaving you unpunishable.
-Its slower, which means it can go through spot dodges very easily.
-It has a bigger range than dash grab.
-It means you can do B-throw in the direction f-throw would have gone for a dashing grab. B-throw has more knockback, so its better for edgegaurding.
-It looks awsomely proffesional.

Videos:http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XELJ03eGElg (as fox)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XELJ03eGElg (as every character)

Stutter step
The stutter step can be done with lots of chars, and is a way for you to extend the reach of a f-smash. Very simply, just tap the oppositedirection from where you want to hit the F-smash, then smash in the the other direction. So, if you are B and you want to hit A, like this:
B A
you tap away from A, then immidiately smash towards them.

Videos: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=g9PRNsTxYqo (not falcon but you can probably get it)

Sliding Jabs
Yep. Sliding jabs. Basically run, pivot, dash (a small amount) and the hold the jab button. If you don't time the jab button correctly you will dash attack. This is useful for mixing it up and for mindgames, and there are more things you can do with it explained in this video. I only fint the basic run>pivot>dash>jab?grab useful, but you can do whatever you want with it.

Videos: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dYvUZHyY_LQ

Auto land from wall jump (discovered by ArtieBoy)
Simply wall jumping on FD on Pokemon Stadium 1 then missing the sweetspot of the ledge and landing on the stage. This is useful for mixing up your edge game a bit and can lead to jabs or grabs. Original thread here:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=210545

Videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucinx48lFJc

Lingering knee
Lingering Knee: sweetspot it against any wall in Luigi's mansion, Skyworld, Shadow moses Island (anyplace with damaging walls) or an item. Be sure to do this in anticipation that your opponent will move into it. Your knee will pause breifly on the obstacle/item and can sweetspot anyone that touches it for that full second pause.
This property is displayed in the beggining of my video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3p9VwOAcek if you are confused
Thanks to SmashBrother2008 for the quote. Basically it just prolongs the length of the Sweetspotted hitbox of the knee.

True Combos

D-air > Knee (and other D-air combos)
At around 55% this combo starts to work. SH D-air on a grounded opponent will send them upwards in the air, with lots of hitstsun. You'll usually pull it off at around 60%-70%, which is the perfect percent for an easy knee kill, which would seem the best choice. It is situational. Maybe you think you might not kill them, and wanna save it for the kill, so in that case I think the best choice would be u-air, but you can do most aerials. This is great to whip our randomly for an easy kill, and Falcon has a bit trouble killing. If you miss with the D-air or they shield, I recommend not repeating it again straight after. It will become predictable and thus less effective.

Vids:http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h4FLCROAmtA

SH Knee > Jab combo
At 0-10% on tall characters, a running SH knee to a a jab pretty much. You can also do it to grab, or jab cancelled grab (the better choice for damage building). Although its not a great idea to appraoch with SH Knee, this could be a heavy punishment for slow attacks or even a broken shield. Again, if you miss or they shield it, I recommend not trying again straight away, it will become predictable and will get you punished. here is the whole thread on which has some percents:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=201786

It averages at about 37% though, which is great for Falcon.

Vids:http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VPyvRRR8cdc

Wario grab release combos
Grab wario, do not pummel him once and wait for him to break free. he will jump out, and won't be able to do anything for AAAGGGGEEEEEEESSS. So its your chance to get some free hits in.

ToKneeOrNotToKnee Discovered a CG from 15% - 50%, which can end in a knee. Here is the thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=208868

It works by Jump release > lagless D-air > jab cancel > repeat until over 50%, then jump release > Knee. This cannot be teched by Wario between 15% and 50%, he is hit into a state in which he cannot do anything, giving you time to jab cancel > repeat.

Here is every option which doesn't have another plain better option:
Grab release > Knee (for killing)
> Knee > regrab > whatever (at very low percents, don't know too much about this)(discovered by ToKneeOrNotToKnee)
> U-air
> D-air (awsome gimp)
> Falcon Dive (Up-B)

of course, there are far more options, but I won't list them, because those ^ are the best.

Ness grab release > UpB
Basically, grab Ness and continuously pummel him. He should be released to the ground if you do it properly, and then you just UpB and pull into the direction of Ness the second you press it. (you must do this because they might do EIDI)

N-air and U-air AC combos
N-air and U-air have a great property some other aerials have (B-air on Falcon also has this). When you land on the ground doing N-air, it will stop immidiately and cancel ALL the after lag. No crazy button input or anything, it cancels itself. This is called Auto Cancelling (AC'ing), and a lot of aerials do this. Basically, hit a grounded opponent with the first hit of N-air, then when it cancels on the ground begin a jab combo (or a grab, although again a jab cancelled grab would be more effective). Very simple. This combo works at any percentage damage, which is great. I like to approach with this, as it leads to a lot of good strings and just seems to work well :) The N-air also cancels into Up-B for a true combo, although you can do anything out of it really.

This works with B-air also, but only at low percents because it has bigger far better knockback than the first hit of N-air or U-air. You may have todo a dash grab for it to be a combo at around 8%-17%.

Vids: none

Falcon kick GFSC on every character
Simpy jump at the head of a grounded opponent then immidiately Falcon kick. The opponents are temporarily in lag form the footstool, and so you have time to exploit that. For some reason it does 25% on bowser, so this is greatly useful for damage bullding against him. Not much use against others as of yet.

Vids:http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BMaOAvT8AR8

The Nudge combo
A combo based on jab locks. You have to set up for this combo, and only three useful ways have been found. You must, when the opponent gets knocked over, fly at them with a flub'd knee, then when you land a F-tilt. After that the opponent must get directly up. This is your chance to do whatever. A slightly charged F-smash, SH FF AC N-air > jab (cancel > grab). Remember that you can only do one F-tilt, otherwise its escapable. Also remember that the flub'd knee must finish all lag before you land.

The set-ups:
D-throw - Not that likely to work on good opponents, but nevertheless a possibility.

SH U-air through a platform - At low percents this will cause the opponent to fall through, tumbling and land on the ground. Effective but circumstantial set-up.

Dash-A - Easy :)

Here's the thread on it:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211777

Videos: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8ve-4k25LhQ

The "Yes" combo
An awesomely simple combo. Running flub'd knee (trip) > Up-B, 23% max. You can do the flub'd knee to a jab, or a greb, but again, a jab cancelled grab is the better option. This is a great surprise approach out of a dash dance, and is a fairly even approach, since the knee has low range, but Falcon's speed and momentum make up for that a bit. This also works into U-tilt, D-tilt and F-tilt as a combo, although they al do less damage than the Up-B.

Videos: None so far.

The gentleman
Possibly one of Falcon's best combos. If you don't know what a jab cancel is, go and read the section on it in the techniques part, because you need to know for this. Falcon's jab has 4 stages, the 1st hit, a simple punch, the 2nd, another simple punch, the 3rd, the gentleman, and the 4th, the multi-jab. The third hit was called the gentleman by the Melee Falcon Community I believe, and has continued into the next game. Why it is called that, I don't know, but it is. This combo is hard to learn but pays off, and can add a lot of percent to an opponent. Simply, its a jab cancel after the gentleman hit, then repeat. If you do this twice its a double gentleman, three a triple gentleman etc. I would only recommend doing it 3 times though, if you can do it, just so they are in range for a grab follow-up. everu time you do a gentleman it does 11%, which is fantastic, although since you repeat it there is some damage depreciation. This is it up to 4 times:

Gentleman: 11%
Double Gentleman: 21%
Triple Gentleman: 31%

This is AMAZING. Imagine this every time you jab, then it leads to a grab for follow-ups. You see why I said this is possibly his best combo. This is hard to do though, and requires very precise timing, so be careful when doing it in a real game.
Falcon necessities

Simple Effective Damage building
There is no set way to go about getting damage in, but there are a few seemingly insignificant things you can do to help, and attacks that should be used a lot. Here they are:

Pummeling: Pummeling is AMAZING. It may seem not that great, only doing 2% when unstaled, but you need to remeber it refreshes other moves. So this is great for getting those small percents, and refreshing your kill moves at high percents because you can pummel lots. Pummel whenever you can. If your mixing up grabs as much as usual attacks in your game(which you should be doing), if you pummel correctly you can add on about 40% over the whole match. Thats more than a Falcon Punch. Thats more than a GANON PUNCH. The disadvantage is it gives opponents time to think, and thus time to DI. Its your choice. Maybe don't pummel at low percents and get strings of attacks from the grabs then pummel at high percents because you probably can't string attack then.

Jab Cancelling: If you don't know what this is, its in the techniques section. This, combined with pummeling can easily add a good 12% to your grabs. My favourite method is(although I'm not very good at jab cencelling) to do the first two hits of the jab, cancel, do it again then grab. 10% right there. When people start to grasp what I'm doing then I start to go for just the first two hits, cancel then grab. Still, 5% damage is good. If your playing someone particularly unskilled, you can go for 3 jabs, cancel, 3 jabs cancel repeat then go for the full jab. lots and lots of damage.

Jab Spamming: Spam the jab. Simple. This works very well when you are right at the edge of the stage, and the opponent is trying to recover. Just hold jab. If the opponent has a very poor method of recovery, and you can take advantage of it, do. Its not cheap. Your Falcon, nothing is cheap.

B-air WoP:(wall of pain). create a wall with B-airs and their great range, and keep them spaced on the platform with F-tilt. This shouldn't be used as an outright wall, but rather when your throwing an opponent around think of it as a moving wall, following them along the stage with B-airs and F-airs.

U-air pressure: Very useful for angering opponents :laugh: . If an opponent is on a platform above you, simply SH U-air them. Continue doing it and knocking them around until they hold shield. Then, BAM! you hit them with a Falcon Dive and get an awsome 17% in. I find this to be a very effective way of easy damage building with little risk to yourself.

Falcon Dive:In some circumstances, this is a better option than a grab. It has a FAR longer range, because of the slide at the beggining and because of its huge vertical range. It is likely to do more damage at small percents, can be done Oos just like a grab and also has SA frames. Don't underestimate it because of how punishable it is.

U-air: Whenever you can. Good damage, range, ok priority and is very quick. This is THE move. its great for approaches, it AC'es, it can combo and it can juggle well. Use it as your basic aerial, and along with jab this can get the %'s up quick.

Effective KO'ing
This is the goal of the game. Ko your opponent before he can KO you. Falcon doesn't have too much trouble killing, although its not his strong point either, so here are some basic ways in which you can Ko (hopefully) early.

Edgegaurding
Edgegaurding. The idea of preventing the opponent from grabbing the edge or returning to the stage without endangering yourself. there are a lot of ways to go about this, and I'm just gonna go straight out and list all the ones I think are particularly effective:

Wall Jumping: great combined with a knee. If you miss the sweetspot you can go straight for a flubbed knee to u-air combo (which btw isn't a true combo, but if they ad they fall and get further away from the ledge). Might be harder on levels that aren't Final Destination.

Flub'd knee > rising U-air:
This is amazing. For opponents recovering low and who are a fair distance away from the stage, just run off, fall on them with a knee then immediately jump and U-air. They will fall to their doom and you can Falcon Dive back. This is coloured because its so important.

falling U-air: For opponents recovering low who are near to the edge, just run off and fall on them with an U-air. Never really going to kill them unless they are at high percents, but useful anyway.

Ledge Stalling: Hanging on the ledge then jumping off and regrabbing, or ledge hopping an U-air and not landing on the stage. This is to mix up your game more and make you unpredictable when returning to the stage from a ledge. DO NOT USE THIS TO STALL UNTIL THE TIMER RUNS OUT! That is banned at most tournaments and is a pretty cheap, [broken]Meta Knight[/broken] way to play.

B-air Intercepting: Using the Bair to intercept moves with little priority (pikas QA, SF crew's illusions and UpBs, Luigi's side B etc). Easy to do when your hanging on a ledge, because if you jump off your back should be facing them.

B-air Stage spiking: Using the b-air to hit an opponent into an angled part of the ledge to spike them. Works very well on opponents on the ledge, and on stages such as FD and Smashville.

Ledge regrabbing: Just falling down from holding a ledge then regrabbing the leadge so that you get invincibility frames to stop opponents hitting you then grabbing the edge.

video: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h3pb2XyqUn4

Falcon Dive (up-B) stagespike: Pretty much the same as the B-air stagespike, but has longer range and is done with Falcon Dive.
At certain angles, the Dive will stage spike opponents hanging on the Ledge. Great way to counter people trying to ledge-stall/guard you. (Caution : Your friends may curse at you for doing this to them. XD)
Thanks to LinIsKorean for this quote

Mindgame > Knee: Maybe not the most reliable combos but good ones certainly. Mindgame > knee is best done by running at an opponent, jumping, falling slightly while (presumably) they have they're shield open, then midair jumping and fasfalling to knee. This catches out a lot of people who are unaware of it.

B-air: This is actually great killing move, just get them off the stage and try to interrupt their recovery with this, or jump at the, wait for them to AD, then punish them with b-air.

U-tilt: Honestly, you may be sceptical, and this may sound ridiculous, but try it. Just, when your fairly close to an opponent whip it out 2-3 times in a row. They either fall into it, get outranged by it or try to punish it. This is amazingly effective I find.

Attack Strings and Follow-ups
I think this is possibly the most important thing if you are going to main a high-level Falcon. After watching some or Rebaz Talei's vids, I'm sure you will be too. Its just stringing together attacks in a way hard to escape, either to build damage or to kill. You know you've mastered it when your able to improvise at any time and naturally create quick effective strings. Remember these ARE escapable. This is how it will be set out:

Attack >
Best attack > (percent)
2nd Best attack (percent)
3rd Best attack (percent)
etc

the percents work like this:
Any = Any percent
Very low = 0% - 10%
Low = 0% - 35%
Medium = 36% - 60%
High = 61% +

Combo strings shown under an attack are not the complete string, otherwise I would be here for AAAGGGGGEEEESSSS. For instance:

D-throw >
Running SH U-air > jab(low/medium)

That Isn't the end of the string. If you look under jab you will see:

Jab >
Jab cancel > grab (Any)

Then you choose the throw you want from the grab, lets say you choose F-throw:

F-throw >
Run SH Knee(Low/Medium)

So think of it like one of those "choose your own adventure books". After you've chosen a path, you go to the next page, and then find a path from there and so on until you've finished your adventure with a knee in the face. Remember, I will not accept suggestions that are stupid. They "might" work is not an excuse for something like F-throw > Falcon Punch. Only ones that are effective and have a chance. Nothing that relies on prediction will go here either, for instance, If the opponent AD's your D-throw, do an AC N-air. That will go in the prediction, reading your opponent and mindgames section.

The Basic strings
These are the bread and butter of Falcon. These are the strings that lead to one and other in one big circle. These are for strings which don't have only one option which doesn't lead to anything else, (ie U-throw) but link into one and other for bigger ones. Note that I will NOT list stupid ideas that are unlikely to work

S=Sweetspotted knee
T=Trip
AC = Auto cancelled

Jab >
Jab cancel > Grab (Any)
Jab cancel > Jab (Any)
Jab cancel > Up-B (Any)

D-throw >
Running SH U-air > Jab (Low/Medium)
Running SH N-air > Jab (Very Low)
Running SH N-air > Running SH U-air > Jab (Low/Medium)
Running SH Knee (Any)
Running SH N-air > Running SH N-air > repeat (Low)

U-air >
Fastfall U-air (Low)
Jump U-air (High)
Jab (Very Low)
Most aerials (Any)

F-throw
Running SH Knee (Medium)
Running SH N-air (Low/Medium
Running SH N-air > jab (low)

N-air >
AC > Jab (Any)
AC > Up-B (Any)
AC > SH N-air (Any)

Knee > S=Sweetspotted knee T=Trip
S > Jab (on tall characters) (Very Low)
T > Jab (Low)
Jab (Low/Medium/High)

The other strings
These are strings that you shouldn't use too often, but are good for mixing it up and staying unpredictable. Again, I'm only going to accept suggestions if they are not ridiculous, and are actually likely to work.

Raptor Boost >
Up-B (low)
Jump(2) > U-air (Low/Medium)

U-throw >
Up-B (low)
Jump(2) > U-air (Low/Medium)

B-throw >
B-air > Jab
Knee
AC SH ff N-air > jab/Up-B

Dash-A >
Jump U-air (High)
U-tilt (Medium/High)
Jump Knee (High)

D-tilt >
Dash grab (Medium/High)
Dash A (Medium/High)

B-air >
B-air (WoP) (High)
Buffered jab (Very low)

Prediction, reading opponents and mindgames
Falcon, or so I've heard - is all about punishing, and "living off others mistakes". I disagree with this, but punishing is certainly a big part of Falcon's game. This is what this section is about, learning the way your opponent plays, thinking ahead then punishing them for playing predictably. You can punish a number of things. You can punish:

1) Shielding too much
2) SD'ing too much
3) Slow attacks
4) Ad'ing
5) DI
6) getting up
7) Jumping
8) Rolling
9) Taunts
10) Ganondorf

As you can see, you can punish virtually everything. Even [Broken]Meta Knight[/Broken]. Prediction comes in for things that are hard to punish spur-of-the-moment, but if you have time to think ahead you can begin getting ready for that punishment early. Reading your opponents is the same thing. But mindgames are different. Mindgames are deliberately setting your opponent up or tricking them into and unfavourable situation. This requires brains and originality, as well as being observant. Here I am going to list effective mindgames that are likely to work in a few situations. Suggestions here are especially appreciated. This is how it will be set out:

If the opponent does this > you do this

If you don't get it just look at some of them and you will. I will then explain how they work (if its necessary) at the end of that attacks section.

Everything on D-throw
D-throw is an important attack. It can be followed up no-matter what the opponent does. Almost. Here is the guide. This will work up until about 60%, but that's good, considering this attack is for damage building. This only works if they don't DI, so if you don't pummel or they have almost perfect reactions (unlikely).

D-Throw >
Nothing > U-air or N-air > Jab.
AD > Running SH FF AC N-air > Jab.
Aerial (or attack that doesn't change momentum) > Falcon Kick
Jump > Running FH U-air

This is with DI towards you

D-throw >
Nothing > U-air or N-air > Jab.
AD > Wait, SH FF AC N-air > Jab.
Aerial > Walk a little away, dash grab/ Falcon Kick

Falcon's Attack Properties
This section will cover the most important part of Falcon, his attacks. I will include everything of possible use for every single attack, and will try to get a video for each giving you an idea of their range. This section is going to take a lot of work, since it doesn't just have basic things, like damage, knockback, frame data, cooldown lag etc, it will include all properties of an attack, every single special feature unique to this attack. It will also include a mini guide explaining when it is best used, what are its uses etc. So here you go:

Jab:
Jab is Falcon's basic attack. this is a fantastic move, due to its high-ish priority, the fact that it can be cancelled into grab to build combos, or even with itself do the deadly gentleman combo. This attack should be used often when close to your opponent, and is pretty much your attack out of everything. MWL, jab. AC Combos, Jab. In landing lag, Jab. This is a great attack, and it should be spammed. It is Falcon's fastest attack by quite a bit, so its great for combo breaking. The jab has 4 phases, the single punch, the second punch, the gentleman and the multi-punch. There is a problem though, with the multi-punch. It works in like, a series, so if you tap it once it doesn't just do one multi punch, it deas quite a lot. It is easily shield grabbed, DI-able, and punishable. I would reccomend rarely using this, but rather using the first two/three to cancel into jabs. This will, typically, maximize your chance of killing or damage building, or both. Here are the individual guide to the sections:

The first jab:
Damage: 3%
Knockback: None
Frame: 3
After lag: Very little
Range: Poor (video soon)
Properties: After performing this jab, there is a period of time in which if you press the jab button again, even if combined with other attacks, it will move onto the next phase. This period of time can be cancelled by crouching.
Info: Not much to say about this, as it isn't really an individual attack. There will probably never be a situation in which the best option will have been to cancel this grab, as cancelling after the second jab means you are closer to the opponent, it has better range anyway, and you get more damage.

The second jab:
Damage: 2%
Knockback: None
Frame: N/A
Range: fair
Properties: After performing this jab, there is a period of time in which if you press the jab button again, even if combined with other attacks, it will move onto the next phase. This period of time can be cancelled by crouching.
Info: This is the best jab to cancel if you aren't able to safely perform a gentleman. It will move you slightly forward and give you a better chance of hitting your opponent with whatever attack you plan to cancel into *coughgrabcough*.

The Gentleman:
Damage: 6%
Knockback: Very little
Range: moderate
Properties: After performing this jab, there is a period of time in which if you press the jab button again, even if combined with other attacks, it will move onto the Multi-jab phase. This period of time can be cancelled by crouching. Falcon will move slightly forward also.
Info: This is the best phase of the jab, IMO. Falcon will move quite a bit forward to do this, so it puts you in range to repeat the (the gentleman combo) and get in lots of damage before a grab or whetever. Combined with the other two phases before it, this will do 11% damage, and can be cancelled into itself again, which can then be cancelled into something. Imagine that, an extra 21% every time you wanted to grab. This is the recommended phase to cancel, but this takes a lot of skill and practice, because there is little gap between this and the multi-jab, which you don't want.

The multi-hit:
Damage: 2% (per punch)
Knockback: Set, none.
Range: moderate
Properties: After performing this jab, there is a period of time in which if you press the jab button again, even if combined with other attacks, it will Continue this phase for another period of time. Note that you cannot stop it, it will stop itself, so be careful.
Info: This is not recommended. At all. This is easily DI'ed out of and punished, and jab cancelling the 2nd or 3rd would probably lead to more damage overall. Maybe you find this effective, but against top level players, it won't be.

F-Tilt:
Damage: 10% (11% when directed upwards)
Knockback: poor~moderate
Frame: 9
After lag: Low
Range: good
Properties: Can be aimed up and down with the control stick. Does 11% undiminished when tilted fully upwards, but as far as I can see there is no difference but trajectory direction when tilted downwards. It can also trip opponents, heres the data:

Usual : 26% - 31%
Upwards angled: 22% - 27%

Info: This is a useful move. Its your quickest spacing move on the ground, so use it well. Its knockback is moderate, but make no mistake, this is not a killing move. it can be used for when edge guarding from the stage, just to knock them back off to continue edge guarding. Although aiming it up gives more damage, it also means you can miss small opponents, so its best not to get into the habit. U-tilt can't be shield grabbed by Dedede, which is great for this matchup, so be aware its safe and spam spam spam. There isn't too much to say about this attack, its a simple attack, good for spacing and should be one of your basic bread and butter attacks.

D-Tilt:
Damage: 10%
Knockback: poor
Frame: 11
After lag: very Low
Range: great
Properties:
Info: Reaches the furthest of all Falcon's quick ground attacks. This should be you're main spacing tool, and like F-tilt, can't be shield grabbed by Dedede. This has quite a big hitbox below it and can hit characters hanging off the ledge. This can combo quite well into attacks like jab and F-smash, and some people say it can chain into itself quite well. The F-smash seems to work best because if they AD, it will get cancelled when they hit the ground and the F-smash will connect. This has a hitbox all over the back of Falcon's body, and can punish rolls quite well, although D-smash is better. Also good for punishing SD's.

U-Tilt:
Damage: 13%
Knockback: Good
Frame: 17
After lag: Low
Range: good
Properties: Moves Falcon slightly forward, and the heel goes through platforms.
Info: this is a great surprise kill move. It does good damage, good range, but is slow, and thus shouldn't be used for spacing over D-tilt and F-tilt. Can be a good punisher for getting opponents off the stage, and a good mindgame because of the fact that it moves forward, so opponents may misjudge their spacing.

F-air (The Knee):
Hitboxes:
Flub'd knee - The green area.
knee - The blue area.
SS Knee - The red area.
Damage:
Flub'd knee - 3% (The front of the knee and shin, and not sweetspotted)
knee - 6% (The back of falcon's leg, and not sweetspotted)
SS Knee - 19%
Knockback:
Flub'd knee - Very poor
knee - Very poor
SS Knee - Incredible
Frame:
After lag: moderate
Range: average
Properties: Can sweetspot with a much more powerful version that electrifies opponents. This isn't a usual sweetspot, because its not where you hit an opponent with it that matters, its when you hit. It sweetspots only in the first few frames. The flub'd knee can trip until 38%. When you SS knee anything that takes damage (IE, all items, opponents, stage parts (like the balloon in Smashville or the platforms in Skyworld) the screen freezes for a moment. It was discovered that the hitbox also remains. This has been called the "lingering knee". The landing lag (if you don't finish the attack before hitting the ground) has IASA frames littered through out.
Info: This is a GREAT move. It combo's tall opponents at low percents with the SS, the Flub'd knee trips for combos, it does good damage, and its probably your most powerful kill move. It can kill as low as 60% because of its great horizontal trajectory. The biggest problem is the fact that it has low range, and is predictable. There are many ways of landing a knee, and some of them are:
Running of the stage and FF'ing a knee.
Through a platform.
D-tilt > knee.
D-air > Knee (true combo).
mindgame > knee.

B-air:
Hitboxes:
Weak
Medium
strong
Damage:
Weak - 7%
Medium - 14%
Strong - 14%
Knockback:
weak - Low
Medium - Low
Strong - great
Frame: 10
After lag: little
Range: Good
Properties: Auto cancels.
Info: This is a great move. It can do almost everything, combo, kill, space and approach. It can combo into dash grabs and jabs at low percents, although I wouldn't really recommend it, U-air seems the better option. Its quick and powerful at the strong hitbox, and is a great stagespike, also good for intercepting recoveries due to high-ish priority. Approaching with SH RAR'd B-airs is probably one of Falcon's best because of the quickness, knockback and auto cancelling, so use it well. The stong hitbox at percents around 40 is great for techchases because of it very horizontal trajectory, and again the fact that it Auto cancels.

Smashes coming soon.

More suggestions please.

Credit!!!
ToKneeOrNotToKnee - added info on ledge hopping.
LinIsKorean - Falcon Dive stagespike quote.
Blaze924 - suggestion on sliding jabs.
Z1gma - The idea of flubb'd knee > U-tilt.
SmashBrother2008 - Quote and video on the lingering knee.
Rebaz Talei - His videos helped me a lot in the attack strings section.
Noodlehead - For the pictures with the knee in my banner.
Roderick - Half-circle ledge grab method and some minor info on edge guarding.

Any info/corrections/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
FC>LC>Knee/Uair/Nair immediatly (when hitting the opponent with the ending part of the kick sending them horizontally away from you) a real combo..?

wanna test this with me face, to make sure ?

Smash Apprentice
SH Nair first kick to jab.
I dunno if SH Uair to jab is true combo tho.
Flubbed knee to Uair, good gimp.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
techs don't matter that much to me..........the only real AT I use for Falcon specifically is the MW. If your can be strong fundamentally then your a good Falcon.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
One last thing I'd like to point out.......... Acing all aerials are not necessarily beneficial, If you go to training and AC nair then try to Nair while FFing the FF Nair will be clearly much faster due to the very short long landing lag, allowing for faster successive Nairs than an ACed Nair. This also applies to Uair and Bair.

Face124

Smash Ace
One last thing I'd like to point out.......... Acing all aerials are not necessarily beneficial, If you go to training and AC nair then try to Nair while FFing the FF Nair will be clearly much faster due to the very short long landing lag, allowing for faster successive Nairs than an ACed Nair. This also applies to Uair and Bair.
Do you mean that a fastfalled N-air that ends before landing is faster than a Ac'ed N-air, or do you mean ff'ing a n-air and ac'ing it is faster?

Mit

Smash Ace
When opponents are recovering to the ledge from a low point, run off, fastfall flub knee them, immediately followed by your second jump and an Uair (possible to do other moves like the knee). A common trick that definitely needs to be included, as it is a very easy gimp, and is very effective on a lot of characters without great recoveries.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
I mean that FF Nair and all the aerials I listed can be done faster if Fastfalled because their landing lag is VERY minimal (close to zero lag in my opinion). When you AC an aerial you can't FF, leaving you to wait in the floaty air for a long time.

If your still not understanding just go to training try a Nair ACed and then A Nair FF 10 times in a row as fast as you can, you'll see the difference.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Maybe I can contribute : )

KO move
SH AC Knee (sourspotted) -> Utilt

I dunno if it's new.. I just do it : )

Face124

Smash Ace
@ Mit: I have already included a bit on the flubbed knee to u-air in the walljumping part of the edgegaurd.... section. I probably should give it its own bit, because its quite awsome.

@ Ayaz: I understand now, and I will include a bit on it, but the ac'ed one is better for comboing

ungulateman

Smash Journeyman
You forgot to say "demonstrate to me your techniques!"

:cookie:s to people who get the reference.

Blaze924

Smash Apprentice
why don't you put the pivot slide technique (sliding jabs), sorry idk the actual name

LinIsKorean

Smash Journeyman
You may want to mention the Falcon Dive (Up+B) as a Stage Spike / Recovery technique. At certain angles, the Dive will stage spike opponents hanging on the Ledge. Great way to counter people trying to ledge-stall/guard you. (Caution : Your friends may curse at you for doing this to them. XD)

Face124

Smash Ace
@Stafy - Sorry I didn't see your post, That would be very much appreciated and you would recieve full credit in the guide.

@Ayaz - That is useful to know, but I'm not really sure where I should include it.

@Z1gma - I will have a look at this, it does look quite promising. I'll get abck to you, and if its a true combo it will go in the combo section and you will get all credit for discovering it etc

@Blaze924 - Yes I was looking at a video of that on youtube, I think I will include it, but I'm going to practice it more so I have a better understanding before I write about it.

@Fox219 - Thanks xD

Please people, I need some confirmation on whether or not the Mock Wave-land was discovered but Bananatrooper first. And also if someone could supply information on that difficult method of grabbing the ledge form the stage I would be very grateful.

Thanks again everyone.

LinIsKorean

Smash Journeyman
lol is my post irrelevant then? =(

Edit : Nevermind, didn't see that you added it already. btw, my name is LinIsKorean, not LinkIsKorean. XD If you could fix that that would be cool. ^_^;;

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
You should add a "Move Properties" section. Or whatever, this is just some stuff to consider.

New

Don't forget chain throwing. I know it's escapable but against a confused opponent or somebody who doesn't know what is going on it works! Either Dthrow or Fthrow they are both so fast that you keep it going for at least a throw or two. Dthrow is also a great setup for the knee since all you have to do afterward is SH Fair. Just be careful when you perform this as it is not garenteed to work.

Properties

Lingering Knee: sweetspot it against any wall in Luigi's mansion, Skyworld, Shadow moses Island (anyplace with damaging walls) or an item. Be sure to do this in anticipation that your opponent will move into it. Your knee will pause breifly on the obstacle/item and can sweetspot anyone that touches it for that full second pause.
This property is displayed in the beggining of my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3p9VwOAcek if you are confused.

Drop through Knee: It may be nothing special or new but if you do this to anyone, you're amazing. It's also in the video. ^^^

Dtilt "juggle": I believe this move can be use as a light juggle. It's completely escapable in varying situations but I have managed to even keep light characters (specifically pikachu) in it for at least two hits. That's enough damage to make it worthwhile! Helpful or not, I use in in my game whenever possible.:lick:

LinIsKorean

Smash Journeyman
Ah, I think the lingering knee, as you put it, also works on Snakes cypher. If you sweetspot the silver-diskish thing, the knee will last for a bit and proceed to hit Snake in the face. I need to test this more, but I think it works.

Face124

Smash Ace
You should add a "Move Properties" section. Or whatever, this is just some stuff to consider.

New

Don't forget chain throwing. I know it's escapable but against a confused opponent or somebody who doesn't know what is going on it works! Either Dthrow or Fthrow they are both so fast that you keep it going for at least a throw or two. Dthrow is also a great setup for the knee since all you have to do afterward is SH Fair. Just be careful when you perform this as it is not garenteed to work.

Properties

This property is displayed in the beggining of my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3p9VwOAcek if you are confused.

Drop through Knee: It may be nothing special or new but if you do this to anyone, you're amazing. It's also in the video. ^^^

Dtilt "juggle": I believe this move can be use as a light juggle. It's completely escapable in varying situations but I have managed to even keep light characters (specifically pikachu) in it for at least two hits. That's enough damage to make it worthwhile! Helpful or not, I use in in my game whenever possible.:lick:

To the chain throwing part, well. Presumably good opponents in 0 lag situations will be able to see follow ups coming and simply spotdodge the second throw, although I find it can work quite well with the f-throw using the PWG, because it can still be in the hitbox (or grab box) at the end of the slide, theoretically meaning it can go through spotdodges. I don't expect this to work at high level play though, so I'm sceptical to include it.

Thankyou for the lingering knee info, I will be including that.

No offence, but the drop through knee thing just seems like a usual action. Like running SH knee or something.

I don't know about the juggling with D-tilt, I have actually tried it before in some Falcon dittos and, well usually the opponent predicts a follow up and AD's.

I'm not sure about that moves properties thing though, I don't want to be stealing the guide's ideas too much:laugh:

It would take a lot of help from you guys and I'm not sure I'm the one that should be doing it. I'll defenatly think about it though, and if I get support I will.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Lingering Knee is deffinetly important then...

And I will test the Dtilt "juggle" even more. It only seems to work at very low % and hits only 2-3 times but if it's a decent damage starter then why not include it? Oh well...

Your welcome for the input, Face.

Face124

Smash Ace
Lingering Knee is deffinetly important then...

And I will test the Dtilt "juggle" even more. It only seems to work at very low % and hits only 2-3 times but if it's a decent damage starter then why not include it? Oh well...

Your welcome for the input, Face.
Your right, that was stupid to ignore. I will include this in the simple attack strings section.

And thank you :)

Face124

Smash Ace
Ok, decided to bump this because I've added a lot of new info, new sections, made some new videos and fixed a lot of errors. Please help me get this stickied and contribute. Everything is appreciated, and you get credit for everything that is accepted the added/changed. Even typos.

smashking420

Smash Cadet
Ok First He Is Not A Bad Character!!!! You Just Sid That He Was Bad. You Have What What You Belive. And There You Sid At The Start Of This Guide That He Was Bad!!! And I Am Not Accepting That!!!! I Won't!!!! That Does Not Appliy To Me!!! Because Of The Word!!!!!!

Roager

Smash Ace
ok, smashking420, you fail. Falcon IS bad. His priority, damage, and hitstun are all worse than most of the cast, and he has the longest (read: most punishable) trip animation. His killers, Knee, bair, Dsmash, and Fsmash, are all laggy. That said, he has his saving graces.

These include his high-priority jab, which comboes into grabs, the flub knee>uair gimp, and a very spammable uair. There are others, but I dont want to list them.

Anyways, about that little blurb you have of smashbrother2008, there's more to it than that. You can use just about anything, like the ballons at smashville, the wario bike, even link's gale boomerang. Also, the trick also works with Falcon Punch, since it has long hitlag also. Plus, beyond that, you can also use this on invincible people. So, at the end of the respawn invincibility, you can land a Falcon Punch, that lags into their vulnerable time. Its pretty good damage, and its pretty cool to land a falcon punch on an invulnerable opponent. So, uh, yeah. I'm done now.

Face124

Smash Ace
Ok First He Is Not A Bad Character!!!! You Just Sid That He Was Bad. You Have What What You Belive. And There You Sid At The Start Of This Guide That He Was Bad!!! And I Am Not Accepting That!!!! I Won't!!!! That Does Not Appliy To Me!!! Because Of The Word!!!!!!
Ok, you think what you want. Falcon may be the most awesome and epic, but compared to other characters he isn't good. Look at the tier list, made by the best smashers around. Look at the character rankings list, based on tournament results. See a pattern? But anyway, maybe you disagree with what me and the majority of smashers think, that doesn't mean you can attempt to post in full caps,saying that he isn't the worst with absolutely no legitimate backup.

ok, smashking420, you fail. Falcon IS bad. His priority, damage, and hitstun are all worse than most of the cast, and he has the longest (read: most punishable) trip animation. His killers, Knee, bair, Dsmash, and Fsmash, are all laggy. That said, he has his saving graces.

These include his high-priority jab, which comboes into grabs, the flub knee>uair gimp, and a very spammable uair. There are others, but I dont want to list them.

Anyways, about that little blurb you have of smashbrother2008, there's more to it than that. You can use just about anything, like the ballons at smashville, the wario bike, even link's gale boomerang. Also, the trick also works with Falcon Punch, since it has long hitlag also. Plus, beyond that, you can also use this on invincible people. So, at the end of the respawn invincibility, you can land a Falcon Punch, that lags into their vulnerable time. Its pretty good damage, and its pretty cool to land a falcon punch on an invulnerable opponent. So, uh, yeah. I'm done now.
Are you sure it works with Falcon punch? I thought it was because if the knee hits any items/people/stage parts that can be damages it freezes for a moment, and the hit box remains. I'll do some testing on this later, and I will add the stuff about how the knee can linger in other things aswell. Also, Falcon has U-tilt for killing, which isn't too laggy, and B-air which doesn't have any lag either end (pretty much).

YOu and knee should compile your guides into one.

Or i could make a thread that leads to more and then have it stickied.
Me and ToKnee both agreed about the sticky idea, so go ahead and do that. I'll contribute with loads of useful threads hard to find.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Great thread face.

But I don't think we should combine our threads.
you (face), me and Noodle should all have our own. As Noodle said, we all focus on different things, so having them all stickied wouldn't be a waste of stickies.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
I never post on the Falcon Boards anymore, but I'll just say I enjoy the knee pictures and lingering knee... Cheers, Face124

Face124

Smash Ace
Great thread face.

But I don't think we should combine our threads.
you (face), me and Noodle should all have our own. As Noodle said, we all focus on different things, so having them all stickied wouldn't be a waste of stickies.
Defeniately, I agree completely.

I never post on the Falcon Boards anymore, but I'll just say I enjoy the knee pictures and lingering knee... Cheers, Face124
Your welcome :D I'll be changing the banner a lot fior the better, so keep watching.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
Ahhh! Now that reminds me, the best part about the Falcon boards is that people reply straight away. They even use the quote button on each post they make so it's not confusing! Hooray! Your the man Face124 I'll be watching.

Top Bottom