• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[M/BAA2] Melee/Brawl 2 Jan 11th Ann Arbor, MI

SCOTU

Smash Hero
M/BAA 2 (Melee/Brawl Ann Arbor)
SBR Certified

AiB Tourney Link: http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=4036

We need Melee/Brawl Discs

ENTRY

Prizes:

Non-Venue entry fee's go into the "pot", which is awarded:
1st 60%
2nd 30%
3rd 10%

$5 Venue Fee (an optional additional $5 will afford you a full day pass on any digi-ops systems while you're there) (Venue Fee waived if you bring a TV/ system+game that gets used)
$10 Brawl Singles
$10 Melee Singles

TIME SCHEDULE

12:00 NOON Registration for Brawl Singles Begins
12:30 Brawl Singles Begins

-- After Brawl there will be a 1 hour break for lunch

4:00 (or after the lunch break) Melee Singles Registration begins
4:30 Melee Singles Begins

Tentative Attendees
SCOTU
Ankoku
Levitas
Bowyer
Kagu(Ikkitrix)
-Anti(?)
-Matt(?)
-Shaeden
Juggleguy
OmegaXF
Pachi
SamuraiPanda
The Mann
Quaz
RaynEX
Anther (i'm sure he is)
lain (i'm sure he is too)
Junglefever
Biggy (who you all bringing?)
Kail
luladin
-Rat (?)
Kirk
-2 more people
HoChiMinh Trail
-Trevor(?)
-Dope(?)
Drephen (?)
Watty(?)
dingdong
Jesus Daddy Smash
-PM-
Primex7
Solon
Omniswell
Vayseth
Ori
-2 Friends
Rofa
TofuToph
-Terf
NarutoShocker
4% APR
Cactuarz
Needle Of Juntah
Acro + ppl
Soap
MexicanBJ
Botulismnator (?)
Kerpoplesteesh (?)
Juepockler (?)

VENUE
Name: Digital Ops
Address: 525 E Liberty Street
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
MAP

Parking:
There's a parking structure by Borders that should be free. On Sundays most if not all street parking is free, so that's available too.

RULES: BRAWL

General rules:

* 3 Stock (2 Stock for Pools)
* 8 minute timer (6 min for pools)
* Items are set to "off" and "none"
* All sets (except winners, losers, and grand finals) will be best of 3s, the 3 finals games are best of 5
* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
* Metaknight's Infinite Cape is banned.
* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stage Lists

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1

Counter
Brinstar
Corneria
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Green Greens

Banned

All other stages, including Customs

RULES: MELEE

General Rules

* Items are set to off
* The stock is set to 4
* The time limit is set to 8 minutes
* All sets are best of 3 matches, except for winners, losers, and grand finals, which are best of 5s
* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
* No player may choose the stage they last won on
* Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played
* Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match
* The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned
* Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
* Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD)

Set Format (in order of procedure)
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for the entirety of the set
3. The first stage will be played at random from the Random Stage List **
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for this match
**Opponents may instead agree upon a random stage

Random Stage List
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Dream Land: Green Greens
DK Island: Jungle Japes
F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
Lylat System: Corneria
Planet Zebes: Brinstar

Banned Stage List
DK Island: Kongo Jungle
Eagleland: Onett
Eagleland: Fourside
F-Zero Grand Prix: Big Blue
Hyrule Temple
Infinite Glacier: Icicle Mountain
Lylat System: Venom
Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle
Mushroom Kingdom I
Mushroom Kingdom II
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Island
Past Stages: Yoshi's Island
Superflat World: Flat Zone
Termina: Great Bay

Additional Rules

* Port slob picks: On a player's counterpick, that player may opt to redo the port selection process with that player or team picking their port first.
* Resolving Ties: Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock, and then percents. If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock overttime. Bowser's suicide klaw is exempt from this rule.
* Wiimotes and Classic Controller users should know to take the batteries out of their controllers after finishing a set; not only will this save battery life, but it prevents accidental intereference and delay for tournament matches.
* The Mages DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is two minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After six minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Sign me up, I'll try to make it but this is 2 days after my finals so I dunno how busy I'll be.

GHZ, Norfair, and Luigis are pretty dumb stages though =/. YI (Pipes) is borderline, and all of those stages are fine in doubles, just in singles Luigi provides some characters (including MK) with infinites, Norfair is ledge-camp central, and the other 2 just have walk-off ledges which is kinda sketchy... then again they are sloped (not so much GHZ) so it isn't so bad.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Uggh. I'd love to make it to this.... but I have 2 finals the next day. Then a final the day after that. And more after that, too.

:(

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I have two exams on the following Tuesday, too. Which are for classes I can manage without heavy study, as opposed to the two exams following Vayseth's tourney. : \

December and April are likely the hardest months to get good attendance for tournaments due to all these exams.

Win tournament title, though. Haha

Dopey

Smash Lord
im down for this ; )

whats the deal, no teamsies? =(

who wants to gimme a ride? =)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Teams were cut in the interest of being able to end earlier, and a severe lower attendance than singles at every event, sorry.

On a side note, It's been like, forever dude, idk if i even played you at rofas

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Despite not being able to go to this (stupid finals =/) I really do hope this is successful. And being featured on AiB is definitely a great way to pull more people in.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Because running Brawl doubles, Brawl singles, and then Melee singles would take way too much time, and there's really not enough attendance for a halfway decent doubles event in the first place.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
No doubles = vastly smoother running of singles + earlier ending time

and yes, this is the day after Vayseth's, since he changed his date.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Just an update, Vayseth's tourney moved back to the 13th, so this is the only MI tourney this weekend, so you all should come!

SCOTU

Smash Hero
This tourney is gonna be pretty good from what i hear. There'll be one of the best MI melee Attendances since one of the late UMBs, with people such as Dope, Shaeden, me, anther, lain, the local AA guys, The waterford guys, maybe Joel? You west MI ppl should come.
The brawl side's looking pretty respectable too, with the obvious Anther, lain, the mann, the AA guys, one of the waterford guys, haven't heard from joel, vayseth, rofa, Hot_AmrS etc, but you guys should definitely make it.

It's too exciting that it's tomorrow!

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Hm... how long you guys think Brawl singles is gonna last? I have finals the next day, so I really shouldn't go, but I might because I'm an idiot like that.

Top Bottom