• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikmin-cide Vid added

Fino

Smash Master
Well, I was talking to Zori, and I was under the impression that this was known but I guess not. So without further ado, Pikmin-cide!
It's not really the easiest thing to do, but then again... people have to be dumb to fall into a suicide move to begin with. We all know that olimar doesn't have grab armor, but why is this? When olimar grabs his pikmin move independent of him, therefore he can get knocked out of grabbing. I also happened to notice that the pikmin remain independent while they are grabbed and about to be thrown - this was found out in a teams battle when I did a u-throw and an fsmash at the same time (being jabed right after inputing the throw command).
So, all this in mind, the pikmin have nothing to do with olimar when they're grabbing someone. This got me thinking into ways to use this, and I stumbled upon a couple. The first being rainbow cruise. Yes, I still will say RC is a good olimar stage... the ability to pikmin-cide only makes it better. Basically, if you grab someone, olimar being on safe ground, while the grabbed opponent is on a falling block, the bad guy will fall while the pikmin is still grabbing him. In laymens terms (top right side of RC)

~~~~Y-X
000000--------

Where Y is the opponent being grabbed, X being olimar, and 0 being a falling block. When you get this, the game thinks that the person is just standing there, and since the pikmin are independent of olimar... they will keep holding them as they fall to their death.

Problem with pikmin-cide: you can break out of a grab easily.
Solution: you should be able to hold them long enough for them to start falling, mindgames come in here with what to do to them. Personally... if I know they will get out, I like to throw them under the stage knowing that most characters won't be able to get back. Even if they don't die they will be scared ****-less and question why they CP'd this stage XD.

Pikmin-cide 2: So this got me thinking... why stop at falling blocks? There are rising platforms as well. DelFINO (^_^) for instance... not really the easiest thing to do, but very sneaky. Learning where the platform comes up is key to pulling it off. Pretty much the same thing, except instead of falling blocks you have rising platform.... apply where needed :chuckle:

The same problem occurs here, but it's not as big of an issue. The platform on delfino rises fast enough to pikmin-cide easily. If you're doubting yourself, I myself will uthrow. Uthrow puts them in a long animation that they can't get out of, longer since the stage is moving. Best part: As NC-Echo puts it, the uthrow is pretty much a pikmin body-slam... in other words... the pikmin will body-slam them into death XD.

Well, I hope this helps a few people out :)

~Fino
EDIT
Here's the vid ^_^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY61c9-IdBA
look at 3:45

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Yea, the now dubbed pikmincide is too good on rc. Another nice thing that happens, which isn't a pikmin-cide (I've posted this before) is when you grab someone on pictochat or something and the wind starts up. You move, they stay still, so like....grab>get pushed back> b-throw>u-smash? cute stuff. This is all very situational unfortunately, but it's sweet when it works.

RichBrown

Smash Master
I saw this in a combo video a while back. It's very, very situational, but good to know nonetheless.

On pokemon stadium 2, if you do a pivot grab during the ice section, the pikmin will grab, but olimar will slide WAY past your opponent, setting up a backthrow-upsmash combo. I wish there was some sorta really jacked up way we could figure out how to get somebody in a grab and then somehow make olimar completely independent from the grab... although that's about as equivalent as saying "i wish olimar had a better recovery" ^_^

Fino

Smash Master
Okay, so today I was playing amazing ampharos, beast G&W, and I decided to CP rainbow cruise... and I did it. Vid will be up saturday when he comes over for my tournament. <3 his wii for infinite replay. Flawless too. Can't wait to show a real game play example

~Fino

XienZo

Smash Lord
Yeah, I messed with this too some time ago and you can still throw, so instead of waiting for the blcok to fall, use b-throw or f-throw to stage spike(if you're on rainbow cruise, I think you need to throw to the right). Also, you can use u-throw to stall right before they die since the pikmin takes time to jump up, and if you time it right, the block will be past the blast zone when the pikmin comes down, allowing you to do this at lower percentages.

Edit: They also "desync" distance-wise on conveyor belts.

Edit2: in doubles, can Olimar grab someone and then have Mario fludd the pikmin away?

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
I can kind of see where you're coming from. After all, Olimar sucks when he has to deal with ledges, so why not just take out the ledges and make your opponent deal with it too? On the other hand, most of the sections are so small and far apart that it makes it really hard for him to do his "perfect camp", and he is forced to mix it up, where he isn't as effective.

I don't know, really. If it works for you, go for it.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
This is really cool, anxiously waiting on a vid.

I'm also still waiting for you guys to discover the pikmin desync. Pikmin throw, to upsmash from across FD... :psycho:

GET TO WORK!

Dyyne

Smash Ace
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I'll ever win that argument out though. Too many olimar hate the stage without trying it :urg:

~Fino
Exactly, that's why I stopped bothering on the stage discussion thread. Heres my original post with some stuff cut out if anybody is interested...

You're bringing up too many hypothetical situations, that also have many hypothetical answers to the problems that you aren't mentioning. For example, you're saying that enemies, like mk, will be forcing you down while platforms are disappearing. Firstly, this situation is a small portion of the level. Secondly, if you are on a platform or a carpet, you cant be hit through it. He can't just be forcing you down, unless he had done something beforehand, and even if he has, the platforms don't disappear until they reach the bottom of the viewable level, so there should be plenty of places to get on to recover.

You also said the scrolling and the platforms make >b obsolete, but you didn't back it up. If anything, that makes it better. You said that in the end, you're fighting the stage more than your opponent. Firstly, I disagree with that, because jumping to a platform is hardly much effort to fight the stage. Secondly, that applies to all characters. While someone like mk might not have to worry about it, it would still be there. Therefore, tossing pikmin would be all the more effective because they would be dealing with the stage, the pikmin, and you. Also, platforms don't destroy pikmin like they might on battlefield. The platforms aren't positioned where they would block pikmin toss constantly.

If you are up a stock, you don't need to be aggressive for fear of falling behind because falling behind is really not a huge issue. You can jump and pikmin toss at the same time, for example. Furthermore, once again, that is one small portion of the level. The ship and the sidescrolling part are full of walls and curvy floors to tech on, so you're relatively safe.
I'd also like to add that on the right side of the stage, if you are being forced down/away, up air has absurd priority, so that furthermore lessens the chance of being gimped. With the addition of what you posted on this thread, Fino, I can't understand how this could possibly considered bad, if not good, for oli.

Fino

Smash Master
Scrolling platforms HUGELY help olimar's "perfect camp". If a character tried to attack you from below is the only real weak spot, but you can shield, SH dair, or pivot grab which will work in the 'stage-pulling' fashion and grab them from below. Also, the platforms instead of a stage means two things, flying pikmin get deadly; by that I mean pikmin toss literally goes everywhere and fsmashes fall off the platform and can extend vertically across the entire stage. the second is canceling your tether lag. when you tether and land on a platform you cancel you lag. I believe shrink talked about this awhile back. This stage has it everyeone. I gtg for turkey festivities... I'll be back on this later ;)

~Fino

asob4

Smash Champion
pendulum = a free stock for your opponent
no bueno.

i've literally gotten fthrow'd off and died at like 60%

Dyyne

Smash Ace
^^ The pendulum I feel is the only place that is disadvantageous to olimar, but it lasts a whole 10 seconds maybe? You can play smart and just run away from that and not even try to attack. But all your efforts into not getting gimped. You can chill on the falling blocks above the pendulum, platforms spawn to your right shortly after the you actually need to stand on the pendulum. A useful method I've found is to utilize the carpets. If you bring those with you, it's just another place you can use to prevent gimps. Doing all this can make gimps happen very rarely.
The pros about this stage far out weigh that single (occasionally significant) disadvantage.

In other news..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMwO9PX4_7c bahahahahahhaa

RichBrown

Smash Master
LOL I was watching that when it happened, that was sooooo funny.

I dunno, maybe I'll give RC another chance. I'll let some people CP it on me in the early rounds at quiznos this sunday. The boat part of the stage is actually pretty good for Olimar, and the part before the pendulum isn't too crappy. Yeah the pedulum sucks, but after that is the massive walkoff part of the stage, which olimar can bait people into and get some grab-bthrow kills. and, of course, it would be GODLY to get that pikmincide somehow :D

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
A useful method I've found is to utilize the carpets. If you bring those with you, it's just another place you can use to prevent gimps.
Wait. WHAT?

*goes of to tour RC again*

Edit: Wow, I've never noticed this. =___=

Fino

Smash Master
Vids are going through you-tube right now. I'm going to bed. will post here tomorrow, but you can look up pikmincide and it'll come up ^_^

Also potential new AT I discovered yesterday.... wave plucking? I knew it was possible with peach, cause it's down special... but neutral special wave pluck? I did it, vids will be up tomorrow morning

~Fino

EDIT: Vid up earlier than I thought, check OP

Top Bottom