• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The official Pivot Walking (and PW Crouching) thread.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Pivot-walking is a new, interesting technique that I've found, and might prove very useful in the future.

And please, don't come here saying "This is known already etc. etc.", unless the thing you're thinking about is executed the same way this is. This is not really completely new, it's just a new way to pivot a lot quickly.

(This might also be known as: Doop Walking, Waffling)

I recommend changing one of the shoulder buttons to attack for this to work best (I use Z)

Pivot Walking (PW)

If you hold A (or any other attack button, if any) , walk and push the c-stick in a 45 degree back-up direction (requires C-stick set to smash), your character will spin 360 degrees, while still maintaining his forward velocity, and if you do this in the right pace your character will be continously spinning.

You can do the same attacks out of this as you can a normal walk. If you press the c-stick too much up, you will start a dash, if you press the c-stick too much back, you will start charging a fsmash in that direction.

This has proved to be a very useful technique, and we're still researching it's usefulness, but it seems to have quite a few uses though.

Here's some vids Havokk made:

Link Pivot Boost:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwwdhol9NX8

IC Desynch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWk4lm2Sne4

PW with all characters part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sacIYsrRvq0

PW with all characters part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dAJY2XSdks

Pivot Walk Crouching (PWC)

If you Pivot Walk, but instead of pressing the c-stick up and back, you press it forward and down, you will crouch for a moment. This can be done manually too, but when mixing this up with the Pivot Walk, you can do a wierd flurry of movements and attacks and totally confuse your opponent. Something wierd about the PWC is that I sometimes when I do it after only spinning 180 degrees (meaning that you crouch in the middle of the PW), i manage to instantly do a pivoted ftilt (so that you fase the original direction again). This might be useful for G&W, first ducking under falcos laser, then countering with an ftilt.

In fact, the PWC might be a good approach against Falco laser spammers with Snake, Jiggly, G&W and Kirby (and others who can crouch under his laser). KIRBY CONFIRMED.

ATTN: I would appreciate if people helped me find new uses for this, I can't possibly find it all by myself :) The more people helping, the more uses we can uncover! The PWC really needs more looking in to, as I can sense great potential from it.

Uses:

General uses:

Easier to pivot Utilt/dtilt, might be good for mindgames, and performing confusing Dash attacks and grabs. You also move a little or a lot faster than normal walking.

Character specific uses:

(Thanks to Havokk for the info)

** = Character has a good Pivot Walk
-- = Character has a bad Pivot Walk
*- = Character with a neutral Pivot Walk

Mario *-
Luigi *- (slides far)
Peach --
Bowser --
DK ** (moves faster during cargo throw)
Diddy **
Yoshi *-
Wario --
Link ** (Can pivot boost with it)
Zelda --
Sheik **
Ganon --
Toon Link **
Samus*-
Zamus**
Pit**
Ice Climbers** (Can Desynch with it)
ROB*-
Kirby--
Meta Knight*-
King DeDeDe--
Olimar*-
Fox**
Falco**
Wolf**
Captain Falcon--
Pikachu*-
Squirtle*-
Ivysaur**
Charizard--
Lucario--
Jigglypuff--
Marth**
Ike*-
Ness*-
Lucas*-
Mr. Game and Watch*-
Snake--
Sonic** (moves a lot faster than walking normally)

Special thanks
Me (For giving this more attention)
WoodyWiggins (For finding it out before me)
Havokk ( for helping me getting the word out, record the videos and finding many uses for it)
NAKEDeDeDe (for the gif animation)
Pikamaxi (For being my inspiration)
Smasher89 (For researching more on the IC desynching department, and putting this up on the IC page)

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Don't CPUs do this? Or am I not understanding this right...because I do this a lot, and I just move the control stick like I'm doing a high forward tilt (diagonal) and move it back and for forth, resulting in the charcter turning around smoothly and it looks pretty cool too, since you can move across the stage while doing it.

I think that's how you desynch with Ice Climbers and it's a important part of Link's game. I could not be understanding this though.

EDIT: Like this? Only you attack out of it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smF3iwIX1os

SuSa

Banned via Administration
You just found an easier way to Pivot Boost with Link. You win a cookie.

So far all I find a use for this is a very simple Pivot Boost.

I mean, this is a godlike way to Pivot Boost with Link, I can do it like x5 easier, and x10 faster.

@gheb

Go test it, I already tried it and it works.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Vids or it didn't happen
Try it yourself, it is very easy ;) I donät have a capture card, but maybe my friend could help me get a vid in a couple of days if you really want one XD

Don't CPUs do this? Or am I not understanding this right...because I do this a lot, and I just move the control stick like I'm doing a high forward tilt (diagonal) and move it back and for forth, resulting in the charcter turning around smoothly and it looks pretty cool too, since you can move across the stage while doing it.

I think that's how you desynch with Ice Climbers and it's a important part of Link's game. I could not be understanding this though.
if you mean just doing this using only the controlstick, then it's almost the same thing, but it's easier to this if you don't want to loose any speed.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Yeah this works, it's cool. With extremely fast fingers this would be a faster way to RAR.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
You just found an easier way to Pivot Boost with Link. You win a cookie.

So far all I find a use for this is a very simple Pivot Boost.

I mean, this is a godlike way to Pivot Boost with Link, I can do it like x5 easier, and x10 faster.

@gheb

Go test it, I already tried it and it works.
Really? I just hope i didn't just help Link getting past Ganondorf in the tier list, coz that would feel kinda stupid >.< But anything to develop the game, right XD

ndayday

BRoomer
Oh, so it's an easier way to desynch and pivot boost with Link? Well, that's cool. Would this be helping the Ice Climber's game as well? (I think you could desynch out like this?)

SuSa

Oh, so it's an easier way to desynch and pivot boost with Link? Well, that's cool.
He said it might desynch the IC, I'm currently testing everything I can think of for how it could.

@dooplis

But seriously now, you just had be incorporate item-holding smashes and pivot boosting more with Link thanks to this, I'm sure some of us have stumbled upon it but did not bother to look into the controls or uses xD so kudos to you.

SuSa

OMFG IT DESYNCHS THE ICE CLIMBERS. (PERFECTLY IF DONE RIGHT)

sorry for caps, but this is a godsend for me. This is to easy to desynch with that I could do it offline in the first 5 seconds of the Brawl.... :chuckle:

Doopliss_Swe - You are my Hero.

Vid coming soon of that as well.

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol haven't tried it yet, but judging from the responses, it's real?

and that Sonic moves faster doing this than walking normally.
yesssssssssssssssss

more tilts.
moar faster.

moar "LOLWTFISSONICDOING!!!?!?!?!"

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Seriously? That's awesome! I actually discovered somethings that matters to the metagame XD I've found a lot of other stuff that's totally useless :p

lol haven't tried it yet, but judging from the responses, it's real?

yesssssssssssssssss

more tilts.
moar faster.

moar "LOLWTFISSONICDOING!!!?!?!?!"
Only slightly though, but still :p

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Lol, looks like this has plenty of use. I better try to find anything with this for my mains.

But right now I'm crammed with college HW. :urg:

Napilopez

Smash Lord
:O!

Now for the first time ever, I feel sad I use the wiichuck control scheme.

T-T

Oh god.

Easier desynchs for the ICs? Dun Dun DUUUNN!!!

Yayy sonic quick tilt thingamajiggg!

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
IF this isn't already known (my friend is checking it out right now), then we should come up with a name for it. Any ideas?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Vid is up for Link's Pivot Boost:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwwdhol9NX8

Vid for IC Desynch coming soon
lolol it's exactly what I thought it was, but 'easier' to do.

IF this isn't already known (my friend is checking it out right now), then we should come up with a name for it. Any ideas?
Well, it kind of was mentioned before, but your button inputs / how to perform it is much easier to do than the 'original' one that was posted months ago.

And as a tribute to this thread, I quote from the 'original' thread:
Oh god. Do you know how stupid the metagame will look if this is useful? We'll be spinning around like a bunch of ******* all day.

I love it.
:laugh:

It was originally called crazy walking or something like that, but I don't think the name really matters XD

SuSa

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
I'll do that.

I also think that Luigis sliding dsmash might slide a LITTLE more by doing this, but I can't really tell.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Windmill with Added Forward Fast Sliding
W A F F S
WAFFLES

I think is a most appropriate name for this. Before thinking of anything derogatory to say, think shuffle XD

SuSa

Well from the vid this looks alot more useful than pivot boosting..... so it's faster or what?
Faster, easier to do quickly, you can smash/tilt out of it easily, and its pure sex.

Now @ at OP

Want to help me make a list of people who this is useful for? (I'm guessing anyone who already has a decent pivot boost, but maybe it wasn't fast enough?)

Sonic - Link - IC (Desynchs, not the boost)

ndayday

BRoomer
Call it Doopliss Walking, or DW. Dooplis sounds ridiculous, and so is this discovery. =D

EDIT: Plus, the finder needs recognizion for his discover! (Which means he should decide on the name, no?)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Faster, easier to do quickly, you can smash/tilt out of it easily, and its pure sex.
Exactly.

I said screw college homework and currently looking at Mario and Ike. Not seeing much right now but it's definitely helpful for Link and IC. Guess it helps Sonic a lot too since he's all about mindgames.

EDIT: Wait. This makes Mario's Stutter-step F-Smash so much more useful than it was before (and it was pretty **** awesome before that). You can easily do a reverse pivot into a stutter-stepped F-Smash...

Why does this feel like wavedashing?

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Windmill with Added Forward Fast Sliding
W A F F S
WAFFLES

I think is a most appropriate name for this. Before thinking of anything derogatory to say, think shuffle XD
Well, waffling has a nice ring to it, let's se what the others think.

I'll make a list in the OP, and edit the help list innto there also.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Call it Doopliss Walking, or DW. Dooplis sounds ridiculous, and so is this discovery. =D

EDIT: Plus, the finder needs recognizion for his discover! (Which means he should decide on the name, no?)
Well, yeah, but I'll listen to what the general public thinks first.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Wow, you're really into this, well, me and my friend are thanking you, he would have to do all the work otherwise XD

Top Bottom