• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Instant Ground Throw and Single Naner Lock (0 death combo with naner lock in PROVEN!)

ADHD

Smash Hero
Wooh, this is going to take a TON of explaining to do so I will explain what these AT's do before you continue reading. To perform these, you need ALOT of technical skill and do not bother trying these until you are at the point of almost mastering diddy kong, other wise they will not benefit you or will be too difficult for you to use in real combat. I don't care if you bother to give me credit or don't I'm going to give you the facts and notice I did not say new.

Instant Ground Throw: As the title explains, it's an offensive way to have a naner be thrown straight from the ground in either horizontal direction. Set L to attack, and go over a banana on the ground and SH airdodge with R and then quickly press a direction and L. What should happen is you will just perform a rising SH throw (smashed or tilted can be controlled by control stick pressure). You can use it as a surprise attack backwards, or as a straight-forward offensive throw straight from the ground. It's a good lagless way to throw a banana behind you or in front of you but does require spacing if you want it to hit.

Single naner locking and wall single naner locking infinite: First off I will say this is very useful but before I go into it I'm going to explain a d-air property. Before the hitbox arrives, the dair will autocancel on the ground but even if it does autocancel it is perfectly capable of catching a banana or picking it up on the ground. So, now for the sweet stuff. You cannot naner lock with two bananas on platformed stages as they get stuck on the platforms and it distracts the flow, you can only get at most three naner throws before your opponent can escape. This single naner lock enables you to get more damage than double naner locking and it allows you to naner lock on platformed stages at ease without it ever getting stuck on a platform. How to do it? Read carefully or you won't understand: SH over your opponent and throw the naner a half of a second after the SH is initiated, and then tap the c-stick DOWN twice with proper timing. What happens is by delaying the throw slightly you can throw the banana down twice and then catch it with an autocanceled dair while fast-falling. Shnazzy. You have to practice this alot before you can get to the point where it's inescapable. To know it's not escapable, set the computer in training mode to walk and if he cannot roll away you have done it correctly. It is an infinite on some characters alone because you can trip them in both directions over and over again but there comes a point that you realize you're not a robot and it's too hard to perfectly space for you to not screw up. However, the regular same-direction single naner lock is perfectly able to be done consistently after alot of practice on your own. A set-up for the single lock can be when you have two nanerz out. Throw a naner and then pick up the other and quickly single naner lock (yes it is a combo) and you get more hits this way since you can space it better. You can end the single naner lock with an f-air when your opponent is at the end of the stage. It is possible to end it with anything really if your opponent is not one who slides far... such as mashing the c-stick even after you pick it up so you throw it under your opponent then insert any attack. Luigi cannot be single naner locked, sadly.

Single naner lock wall infinite: Unlike the double naner lock wall infinite, this is much easier to occur. It's the same as single naner locking but just against a wall and you don't have to move over their head after they trip. Easy. Just get the spacing down for the wall infinite you can't let your opponent roll the opposite direction because of where they hit them.

Thanks to player-1 we have a demonstrational video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd84oApOEoc

Here's luigiplayer's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GzdTccsYc8&feature=related

Some other interesting things that came out of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJFmh69JVu8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uGpiOoUsWg

Death combo at ANY percent with the single naner lock: One of the bonuses of this AT is that you can get a free spike, on any member of the cast through the single naner lock. If their trip animation goes offstage with correct spacing, you get a free spike. There's a ton of weirdness in this, however I have found some kind of a rule... The taller, heavier characters (for example, snake, dedede, and ganon) are the easiest to perform this on. As long as ANY of their trip animation goes offstage, it's a spike. It requires basically no prepared spacing, just as long as their trip goes off the edge of the stage. The rest of the cast is a wild card, their is no rule for them, it's basically the same spacing for all of the others except pikachu and metaknight. Now, for pikachu and metaknight the spacing has to be just right, their trip animation has to "tip" the edge of the stage in order for it to spike--otherwise it just won't work. The very last distance of their trip must slide off the edge of the stage for them to be combo'd into a spike. It's just these two that are the hardest to get this death combo on, and it makes no sense.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Very interesting, single naner locking has not been discovered so it is new and you were the first to discover this and props to you, IDK about the first one though.

Are you sure you can't do the ground toss with c stick? Maybe you just have to get to it faster or something?

Oh and do you z drop the banana on single naner lock? Or are you throwing it down when you dair?

ADHD

Smash Hero
Very interesting, single naner locking has not been discovered so it is new and you were the first to discover this and props to you, IDK about the first one though.

Are you sure you can't do the ground toss with c stick? Maybe you just have to get to it faster or something?

Oh and do you z drop the banana on single naner lock? Or are you throwing it down when you dair?
You smash throw with the c-stick on your opponent's head, and recatch with an auto-canceled dair by fast falling with the control stick. In simpler terms, just smash the c-stick and fast fall after you recatch the naner XD It's difficult to do, it definitely takes alot of practice to get it consistently but i'm gonna use it on platform stages. The issue IMO is finding a way to get the naner lock started. My setup was having two bananas out, glide tossing one and starting the single naner lock through that first trip. I wonder if there is a way to mindgame someone or another setup that would be easier to get it started. Well, if you're a freak and can somehow claw your way around it, then by all means do the ground instant throw thing. I couldn't get it with the c-stick so I had to use L. It's so much easier to set up the wall infinite with a single naner, so this definitely is viable on wall stages like ps1 or rainbow cruise.

IDK

Smash Lord
good discoveries, but honestly you can tell me this. did you get the inspiration from the technique i posted in the DBR for the instant naner throw? and the single naner lock, you're just saying instead of z catching it like the one i proposed, you dair and fast fall, correct? gj

ADHD

Smash Hero
good discoveries, but honestly you can tell me this. did you get the inspiration from the technique i posted in the DBR for the instant naner throw? and the single naner lock, you're just saying instead of z catching it like the one i proposed, you dair and fast fall, correct? gj
yes, z catch doesn't work for me idk why... i didn't look up the instant throw i just used common sense and added buttons together whether it was old or not no diddy player i have ever seen on vids or live has ever used this.

Player-1

Smash Legend

Chromepirate isn't a member of the DBR. I never saw a post of that either but I trust you.

I think I did it the ground throw thing without L or c stick and it's pretty simple if I'm doing it right. SH, R to airdodge the banana catch and press A immediately to cancel the airdodge and throw it. I'm doing an instant throw off the ground basically if thats what it's suppose to be, I can record a video of it.

So the single naner lock...When you hit your opponent with the banana, the banana bounces up. Do you catch the banana while it is coming up?

ADHD

Smash Hero
Chromepirate isn't a member of the DBR. I never saw a post of that either but I trust you.

I think I did it the ground throw thing without L or c stick and it's pretty simple if I'm doing it right. SH, R to airdodge the banana catch and press A immediately to cancel the airdodge and throw it. I'm doing an instant throw off the ground basically if thats what it's suppose to be, I can record a video of it.

So the single naner lock...When you hit your opponent with the banana, the banana bounces up. Do you catch the banana while it is coming up?
yes, it's ok player one I got a vid of the naner lock and instant throw it's just so **** hard to do the naner lock on wifi, but I got like two-three chains in a row so w/e you'll see what it's like sort of. The instant throw i can do perfectly on wifi, if you can perfect the naner lock record it offline because I cannot do that. I can do it offline just not on wifi which sucks I can't show the follow-ups.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Who cares about credit. I wanna get home and test this ****.

EDIT:

THREE THOUSAND POSTS WHEEEEEEEEEEE

MR. 3000 OLOLOL

Player-1

Smash Legend
yes, it's ok player one I got a vid of the naner lock and instant throw it's just so **** hard to do the naner lock on wifi, but I got like two-three chains in a row so w/e you'll see what it's like sort of. The instant throw i can do perfectly on wifi, if you can perfect the naner lock record it offline because I cannot do that. I can do it offline just not on wifi which sucks I can't show the follow-ups.
Ok, so you DO catch the naner while it's bouncing UP from the opponents head after you throw it down, correct? And after you catch it, you fast fall and repeat correct?

Also you don't need to set your controls for L to attack, I was doing the exact same thing with just the A button

Trela

Smash Lord
The Single Naner Lock is AWSOME. Diddy is too goodz!

I'm actually trying to become one of the most Technical Diddys. I've got lots of work to do!

=Trela=

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
It looks escapable, but hey what do I know? You couldve just sent a replay of you doing it on another person (2nd GC controller or something) and give it to someone who can record.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Ok I finally got the single naner lock down. It's harder to do on taller characters so far because the timing is a lot harder to land the dair fastfall catch. I have it recorded and I'm about to post this.

Also while working with this I THINK this can turn into an infinite by going forward with naner lock and then backward and then keep doing it, but you have to DI a lot further and sooner.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Ok...for some reason my video is taking....like hours to upload....I'm going to try it again and hopefully it'll be up in the morning

Player-1

Smash Legend
See if you can go to that Waba lock in thursday night. Smash and H3 weee
Great-grandpa is 86 years old and having heart problems and we're having a family get together for turkey day in nickels south GA with no wifi and 1 computer that uses slow *** AOL and DSL Johns

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Okay I've had a chance to play around with these two techs.

First of all, instant ground throw. I've found that I'm able to do this with the Z button and the C-stick. It's cool stuff. It gives us the advantage of Z-grabbing items from platforms from the ground.

Now this single naner lock may be the closest thing we've had to a true single naner lock so far. We're going to need to rigorously test it. Your description of it is spot on. The property of the Dair being auto cancelled on its earliest frames are what make this almost possible.

However, this is probably not a true infnite since your opponent can roll away. This might make it more of a 'Tech Chase' than an infinite.

Testing must continue!

Player-1

Smash Legend
Okay I've had a chance to play around with these two techs.

First of all, instant ground throw. I've found that I'm able to do this with the Z button and the C-stick. It's cool stuff. It gives us the advantage of Z-grabbing items from platforms from the ground.

Now this single naner lock may be the closest thing we've had to a true single naner lock so far. We're going to need to rigorously test it. Your description of it is spot on. The property of the Dair being auto cancelled on its earliest frames are what make this almost possible.

However, this is probably not a true infnite since your opponent can roll away. This might make it more of a 'Tech Chase' than an infinite.

Testing must continue!
Wall infinite is a true infinite, I think the single naner lock is a true lock though.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Ahhhh, I see. So it's harder to do on taller characters.
Which is why it's easier to do on MK.

I was trying it on D3 and wasn't having much luck at all.

It might not be very practical, but who knows? We might as well investigate it.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Single naner lock is looking really sweet!

The other one I figured out 2 days ago by myself, although only to throw it in front of me. And I just use L(shield)+A to throw it.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Wtf, this really works well against MK. If you can do this really good this might give Diddy the advantage against MK now :o

ADHD

Smash Hero
No it's definitely inescapable that vid of me on wifi was just me sucking at it on wifi :D offline its too fast for your opponent to escape. You have to practice it up for at least a half hour before you can make it inescapable because the fast fall has to be right on. It's weird that you say that player-1 I started on peach and I though peach was easier to do than metaknight, thanks for the vid. the only thing I can see the single naner lock being able to happen is from a trip of another banana. You made it harder than it's out to be in the video :D but it's definitely much easier to get the wall infinite from this than having the two nanerz being set up and all. i'll have to try this on all characters.

Follow ups: instead of a dair catching the naner fast fall a sweet spotted fair. Or.... just throw the banana on the ground without the fast fall'd dair and then they'll trip again and you can do anything to them. As for the instant ground throw, setting it to L just made it so much easier for me I don't have any trouble doing it.

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
I'm having one hell of a time getting the Instant Ground Throw to work, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of the single banana lock. It's one of the flashiest looking ATs we've got, and while it's pretty difficult to do consistently, I can definitely see it being a major weapon for Diddy.

Nice discoveries! =)

Luigi player

Smash Master
I'm having one hell of a time getting the Instant Ground Throw to work, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of the single banana lock. It's one of the flashiest looking ATs we've got, and while it's pretty difficult to do consistently, I can definitely see it being a major weapon for Diddy.

Nice discoveries! =)
It's not that hard.
Try to throw a banana while landing.

When you touch it with your feet but didn't land already press L or R and A. You'll throw the banana while landing.

It's the same when you jump. You just have to be in reach.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Okay.

I've been hosting a Smash-fest for the last 18 or so hours, and I've been playing around with this technique for the last two. I naturally C-stick all of my aerial attacks, so the actual technique was pretty simple for me to nail down in a matter of minutes.

From what I've observed, it is - contrary to popular belief - not inescapable. I tested it on a few different characters of varying sizes and weight classes, and although the size issue might be something that's easy to adjust to, there's no conceivable way you would be able to account for all the different tripping animation lengths as well as the distance of the tripping itself. I had one of my crew-mates randomly hold directions to roll in after I tripped him up, and he was able to escape almost every time. Most lesser players' tendencies will be to roll immediately after being tripped, and they will do just that on the first available frame. Your opponents have to quite literally be ******** in order for this to work.

The single banana lock against a wall, conversely, is amazing.

Other than that, I can't really buy into this being really effective at all. You're going to have to show me a video of an actual application in a real match.

Player-1

Smash Legend
No it's definitely inescapable that vid of me on wifi was just me sucking at it on wifi :D offline its too fast for your opponent to escape. You have to practice it up for at least a half hour before you can make it inescapable because the fast fall has to be right on. It's weird that you say that player-1 I started on peach and I though peach was easier to do than metaknight, thanks for the vid. the only thing I can see the single naner lock being able to happen is from a trip of another banana. You made it harder than it's out to be in the video :D but it's definitely much easier to get the wall infinite from this than having the two nanerz being set up and all. i'll have to try this on all characters.

Follow ups: instead of a dair catching the naner fast fall a sweet spotted fair. Or.... just throw the banana on the ground without the fast fall'd dair and then they'll trip again and you can do anything to them. As for the instant ground throw, setting it to L just made it so much easier for me I don't have any trouble doing it.
I didn't think I made it that hard on the video...Anyway you say that you must fast fall as soon as you hear diddy catch the banana. By this you are saying you hit the c stock down twice, one for the catch and one for the fast fall, correct? Because in my video and what I've been doing is catching with the c stick AND fastfalling with one c stick down.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Just so everyone knows:
I <3 you guys.

Seriously, our character specific board is the ****.

Also, the nana grab from the plat is mad useful, even if there is no true single nana infinite.

Top Bottom