• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
...Honestly I liked this more than Blitzkrieg's infamous Giygas from MYM3. Don't quote me on that authorship, though.
The quotes in each section made it. :bee:

Why all the Kirby hate?
It's not a very good series and is getting an unusual amount of attention considering?

Is three anybody here good in recolors? ( For Pokey )
Just open up the image of Pokey in your image editor of choice (Paint.NET, The GIMP, or even Photoshop Express are all free, easy choices), then find the settings tab and alter the Hue to your preference.

All there is to it.

Because posting enormous pictures that are really unfunny and not relevant is TOTALLY COOL...right...?

...Right...?
Right! :bee:

I'm back... ?

I'm sure somebody noticed I was gone.. for a whole month... right?

Well anyway, once I've got my bearings, I'll try to play catch up with this thread. And then I can make good on all those commitments I remember making.

But it's great to see everyone else is still hard at work
If by "catch up with this thread", you mean you intend to read all the movesets people have posted...I'd advise against it.

I was only away for two/three weeks, and I'm still working on it...

ANYWAY

To everyone who posted a moveset in the past 10 or 15 pages: good stuff. I can't say there were any I didn't particularly like, though Kiyoya's apparently missing a picture (though judging by a later comment on him, there was one there sometime...).

Also MarthTrinity is awesome for using pictures from that garbage Assante movie instead of some random illustrations.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Geeze...I haven't gotten much done for 02, does anyone want to help me out with some guidelines for him?

phatcat203

Smash Apprentice
Mendez, you talking about Hibari? He has a picture. Or am I missing something?
Oh, and Kirby is a good series in my opinion, but you're right, it's gone a little too far... Kawasaki was good, but now we've got random blobs. Mind, I usually like random blobby stuff, but it's just not right. I'm just glad it hasn't gone this way with Mario or something...we'll be seeing Kylie Koopa soon no doubt.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
As we are talking about Kirby, I've never played the series before.

I've played Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, Ice Climbers and I just got Star Fox Command on Thursday (which I've only played for like 20 minutes).

That is my history with Nintendo :laugh:.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
@Galaxy Man: Whoo, I was planning on making this guy eventually, but a K.Rool version should suffice... *five minutes later* Oh God what is this I can't tell what the heck is going on with these moves what the hell does "speed negative" mean oh God oh God...

@Pyre: Ah, now this guy I can follow ^_^... *five minutes later* Whoa that was cool I love the pet mechanic and how he has no grabs and he seems like a lot of fun to play as.:bee:

Yeah, I'm a very hyper Hyper_Ridley right now.

Salvo Fenris

Smash Apprentice
I've played Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, Ice Climbers and I just got Star Fox Command on Thursday (which I've only played for like 20 minutes).

That is my history with Nintendo :laugh:.
Get StarFox 64. If you don't have an N64, buy one. Or see if it's on the Wii Shop Channel. Or find a friend who has it. I don't care how you do it, you must play that game. I personally think it should be a requirement for gamers old enough to appreciate it (and not complain about how old it is/crappy graphics, etc.)

In other news, Jenna is creeping along at a snails pace- I have animations, Standard Attacks, and tilts done, and I'm about halfway through Aerials... I might have a big sit-down session next weekend, since I've only kind of been working on it. Me and my silly social life...

phatcat203

Smash Apprentice
fliyinfilipino: Yeah, but all of them, save for a few, are just generic enemies that appear on one or two levels so you can get a power to get through that level...I mean, there are a bunch of games like that, but not every single enemy should get in. In fact, Kylie deserves a spot more than most of the Kirby characters on here, because she played an important role in a game, what with the saving and the investigating and such. But, until there's new stuff for either side, I'm done with that. I'm don't want to repeat the same arguments.

I do, however, like that people can take generic enemies and make them into workable characters, but put that talent to a better use. And Chilly is not one I'm complaining about, he played a role in Superstar Ultra, so he's good. You did a good job on him, too.

By the way, has Kakashi been done yet? It seems like he'd make pretty interesting character.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
@Galaxy Man: Whoo, I was planning on making this guy eventually, but a K.Rool version should suffice... *five minutes later* Oh God what is this I can't tell what the heck is going on with these moves what the hell does "speed negative" mean oh God oh God...

@Pyre: Ah, now this guy I can follow ^_^... *five minutes later* Whoa that was cool I love the pet mechanic and how he has no grabs and he seems like a lot of fun to play as.:bee:

Yeah, I'm a very hyper Hyper_Ridley right now.
HR... have you been dipping into the adrenochrome again?

Guess I'll wait until you mellow out before pestering you for moar commentz. :bee:

Galaxy Man was great, but it seems like it'd take a while to adjust back and forth from his playstyle to anyone else.
That's exactly my goal with all of my movesets. I'm no fan of fighting games where you can master every character by mastering one, and they all win the same way.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
fliyinfilipino: Yeah, but all of them, save for a few, are just generic enemies that appear on one or two levels so you can get a power to get through that level...I mean, there are a bunch of games like that, but not every single enemy should get in. In fact, Kylie deserves a spot more than most of the Kirby characters on here, because she played an important role in a game, what with the saving and the investigating and such. But, until there's new stuff for either side, I'm done with that. I'm don't want to repeat the same arguments.

I do, however, like that people can take generic enemies and make them into workable characters, but put that talent to a better use. And Chilly is not one I'm complaining about, he played a role in Superstar Ultra, so he's good. You did a good job on him, too.

By the way, has Kakashi been done yet? It seems like he'd make pretty interesting character.
I think the Kirby series just lends itself well to Smash Bros. (naturally!) and the characters, minor as they may be, are likeable (depending on who you are).

Thanks, by the way. :)

Kakashi of Naruto fame? Not in the current contest, maybe in previous ones, but I'm not sure...he would be very interesting!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Mendez, you talking about Hibari? He has a picture. Or am I missing something?
When I went past it, I didn't see a picture. On the next page, someone (Kholdstare, maybe) had quoted the picture, which showed up in the quote...

...So maybe the link died somehow or something. I'll check it out again, though.

EDIT -- Yeah, I'm just ********. Nevermind, it's up now.

You mean Kakashi Hatake, from Naruto?

No, I don't think so. Personally since you've already done a Hitman Reborn character, I think you should stick to the less-mainstream Jump series...but hey, nothing wrong with Naruto. And again, even if a character's already been done, so long as you don't blatantly copy it it's fine to make your own version.

That's exactly my goal with all of my movesets. I'm no fan of fighting games where you can master every character by mastering one, and they all win the same way.
Isn't that kind of going against the grain here? One of the defininf characteristics of Smash Bros. is how universal the game is--every character controls the same way, has the same inputs, and wins the same way: hit your foe with quick, low-damage attacks until you've built up wnough % to deliver a slower, stonger attack to send them off the stage.

Sure, most of us here play on a much higher level than that...but to 90% of the people that play these games, that's how things work.

I'm toying with a moveset right now, and one of the things I thought of doing was having one of the character's specials make them draw/sheath a weapon, and they'd have different standard moves based on whether they were wielding the weapon or not. But then I thought about how it'd feel to play as a character like that...and I don't think it'd be much fun. Maybe for a little while, or even in 1 vs. 1 matches...but in a full-on 4-player brawl, the nuances of a mechanic like that'd get lost in the shuffle quite quickly.

Honestly I didn't read Galaxy Man yet so I have no idea if this applies to the guy or not, so just think of this as a general catch-all instead of a personal criticism: sometimes less is more, especially in Smash Bros..

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
And again, even if a character's already been done, so long as you don't blatantly copy it it's fine to make your own version.
As I said earlier, N. Brio and Koala Kong is coming along well. It'll be the shortest set up to now, and the stage will be in Twinsanity's free roaming world.
:p

I'm toying with a moveset right now, and one of the things I thought of doing was having one of the character's specials make them draw/sheath a weapon, and they'd have different standard moves based on whether they were wielding the weapon or not. But then I thought about how it'd feel to play as a character like that...and I don't think it'd be much fun. Maybe for a little while, or even in 1 vs. 1 matches...but in a full-on 4-player brawl, the nuances of a mechanic like that'd get lost in the shuffle quite quickly.
Similar to the fighting style of Mortal Kombat Deception, were you press a button and the character gets a weapon out, or like Gen from Street Fighter Alpha and his two styles?

I'd enjoy a character like that, and I think a fast paced game would suit that mechanic perfectly.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Similar to the fighting style of Mortal Kombat Deception, were you press a button and the character gets a weapon out, or like Gen from Street Fighter Alpha and his two styles?

I'd enjoy a character like that, and I think a fast paced game would suit that mechanic perfectly.
Actually, a similar mechanic is used in a lot of the movesets in this contest.

phatcat203

Smash Apprentice
Mendez, what do you mean by non-mainstream? The only ones that come to my mind are Beet The Vandal Buster, which I was never really that into, and Rurouni Kenshin, which I do know a bit about...wait, I could do him...hah! You'll never guess who this'll be! I'll start on him now, it'll be a surprise.

And another thing, the sheathing mechanic would be kind of interesting, but I admit it would get annoying after a while. Maybe if you can incorporate it in a different way, it would work out nicely.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master

...Y-yeah, like that. Why do I remember that game?

The issue is that then you'd have to memorize two of all your attacks, excluding Specials. It's already incredibly hard to get the most out of a character that only has one of each, as this site is testament to.

Like I said, it'd be fine in a 1 vs. 1, like Nightmare's multiple stances in Soul Calibur II, for example. But in Smash Bros., when there are so many factors in play at one time...I think it'd be more of a hassle than anything.

Actually, a similar mechanic is used in a lot of the movesets in this contest.
>.>
<.<

...Yeah, I know. Just don't tell the guys that made those movesets I bad mouthed the thing, see? Nobody has to know. It shall be our little secret. Secretly.

Mendez, what do you mean by non-mainstream? The only ones that come to my mind are Beet The Vandal Buster, which I was never really that into, and Rurouni Kenshin, which I do know a bit about...wait, I could do him...hah! You'll never guess who this'll be! I'll start on him now, it'll be a surprise.
By non-mainstream I basically mean anything that the majority of this thread won't recognize. Or in otherwords, anything not serialized on American television.

...Which is, off the top of my head:

> Buso Renkin
> Ninku
> Eyeshield 21
> Muhyo to Ryoji
> Kinnikuman
> Black Cat
> D.Gray-man
> Luckyman
> Dr. Slump
> Sakigake
> KochiKame
> Hokuto no Ken
> Neuro
> Saint Seiya
> Hunter x Hunter
> JoJo's Bizzare Adveture

...and of course Reborn. There are probably others, but I don't read every Jump comic, y'know. Just most of them.

Rurouni Kenshin's a good pick though. Whoever it is you're thinking of...I look forward to. :)

For the record, Darkurai made that, not me.
Yeah yeah, I wasn't really sure about that. Way to cover my bases though, right?

phatcat203

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... I'll probably do something with one of those, but what I've got in mind isn't mentioned there, but it's not mainstream. It had an American show, I used to watch it, but it was canceled in 2002, after a little less than a year of air time...Geez, I've given a lot away. But any way, I'll start on it now.

Salvo Fenris

Smash Apprentice
But... what if said character replaces his weapon-based attacks with Force Powers? <_<
[/plansforRevan]

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Hmm... I'll probably do something with one of those, but what I've got in mind isn't mentioned there, but it's not mainstream. It had an American show, I used to watch it, but it was canceled in 2002, after a little less than a year of air time...Geez, I've given a lot away. But any way, I'll start on it now.
...uh, Shaman King?

But... what if said character replaces his weapon-based attacks with Force Powers? <_<
[/plansforRevan]
Same concept, different terms. Whether it's wielding/not wielding a weapon or fighting with a weapon/fighting with psychic powers...I still think the concept doesn't fit the craziness of Smash Bros..

Salvo Fenris

Smash Apprentice
Well, each to his own. I'm still gonna give it a shot, if I ever finish this moveset. >.<

But, honestly, since it pretty much changes the moveset, isn't it somewhat like transforming?

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
Holy crap... I haven't been on in a looong time. Not my fault, though. Blame it on my idiotic aunt, because of her, we where going to move, so we canceled the Internet subscription, then we didn't move, got it turned on yesterday, and I've been trying to email a report to my physics teacher since then...which he apparently hasn't gotten. Anyway, I wasn't lying about Hibari! Here he is!

HE'LL BITE YOU TO DEATH! HIBARI KYOYA JOINS THE CLASH!

AHhh....the Reborn manga. I think i only read the first volume of it, but it seemed interesting to me. The reason i couldn't read the rest is because i'm too poor for it >.>

Anyway, that moveset looks really cool at a glance. I like it and all, but i don't really like how you made it dark red text. Other than that, i like it, and it makes me want to read the rest of the manga for it lol.

...uh, Shaman King?
...is coming soon to a MYM 5 near you :bee: [/random]

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
But, honestly, since it pretty much changes the moveset, isn't it somewhat like transforming?
It only changes a part of the moveset, not everything about it. Plus, when a transformable Brawl character shifts forms...it's usually something you've gotta' prepare for and commit to. Whereas what I'm thinking of is something more along the lines of "tap B, character pulls out weapon, done."

Very quick, very on-the-fly...something you'd be able to do almost instantly.

If I wanted to get really in-depth with this, I could point out that even if the transforming move is a long one...it'd still LOOK like the same character, which is visually confusing since (unless you had some giant, super-obvious giveaway, like a glowing red aura) unless the camera's zoomed in close (something that rarely happens in Smash Bros.) it'd be really tough to tell which mode you're in without doing an attack to test it out.

It's easy to know if you're going to use Nayru's Love or Needle Storm when you press B...since each move has it's own character to go with it. But in my case, the only way you could visually tell is by looking to see if the thing was holding a small cutting instrument in it's hand.

Salvo Fenris

Smash Apprentice
Well, I don't feel like arguing about it; like I said, each to his own. And I thought about that, actually- the still looking like the same character bit. In my case (still just a plan for an unstarted moveset), his stances at least would be notably different, and he'd flash s certain color when entering s different one.

Still gonna give him a shot, and I'll see how it turns out. I'll agree to disagree and leave it at that; I completely understand where you're coming from.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Isn't that kind of going against the grain here? One of the defininf characteristics of Smash Bros. is how universal the game is--every character controls the same way, has the same inputs, and wins the same way: hit your foe with quick, low-damage attacks until you've built up wnough % to deliver a slower, stonger attack to send them off the stage.

Sure, most of us here play on a much higher level than that...but to 90% of the people that play these games, that's how things work.

Honestly I didn't read Galaxy Man yet so I have no idea if this applies to the guy or not, so just think of this as a general catch-all instead of a personal criticism: sometimes less is more, especially in Smash Bros..
Ah, but this isn't Smash Bros we're talking about here. It's MYM. And yeah, everyone controls the same. That's my problem - theoretically, anyway. Why should Link and Snake play so similarily? Shouldn't their characters have a greater gap between them?

Anyway, if offered a wide enough range of playstyles and control schemes or what-have-you, even casual players should be able to find something they can figure out and have fun with. Or maybe they wouldn't, and the game would flop except among people like... well, Smashboards.

The way I see it, I have more fun imagining off-the-wall characters than variants on the same basic plot (don't get me wrong, some of my favourite movesets have no overriding mechanics and simple playstyles). Whether they would work out in a practical game is another issue entirely, and really not my prerogative.

That's my take on moveset making, I guess.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
...Honestly I liked this more than Blitzkrieg's infamous Giygas from MYM3. Don't quote me on that authorship, though.
The quotes in each section made it. :bee:
:bee: Thanks! Giygas is probably my favorite boss in a Nintendo game, ever. That dude gave me nightmares. It was Darkurai that made the first, I think.

It's not a very good series and is getting an unusual amount of attention considering?
BLASPHEMY!

> JoJo's Bizzare Adveture
Come on, who HASN'T heard of that awesome game?

ORAORAORAORAORA

Ah, but this isn't Smash Bros we're talking about here. It's MYM. And yeah, everyone controls the same. That's my problem - theoretically, anyway. Why should Link and Snake play so similarily? Shouldn't their characters have a greater gap between them?

Anyway, if offered a wide enough range of playstyles and control schemes or what-have-you, even casual players should be able to find something they can figure out and have fun with. Or maybe they wouldn't, and the game would flop except among people like... well, Smashboards.

The way I see it, I have more fun imagining off-the-wall characters than variants on the same basic plot (don't get me wrong, some of my favourite movesets have no overriding mechanics and simple playstyles). Whether they would work out in a practical game is another issue entirely, and really not my prerogative.

I concur. This man knows what he's talking about.

aeolous

Smash Apprentice
>.>
<.<
That mechanic is almost exactly what I'm doing right now...

Anyways, as long as the two different styles look different enough to tell them apart with a different stance or something, I think it would be pretty plausible. Especially compared to some of the mechanics in this competition (no offense intended, they're usually pretty cool, if a little, shall we say, unlikely to be actually implemented.) It would be much more difficult to learn to use effectively, as stated, but the rewards would also be greater once it was mastered, so it's a fairly even trade-off.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
At what point did we somehow transcend Smash itself? I thought the point of this competition was to be able to design Smash movesets, but not worry about constrictions such as a realistic possibility of the character being in Smash or programming/developing time? If we are no longer even playing the same game, who says I won't come along and design a moveset for Snake in Mortal Kombat vs. Nintendo Universe?

SirKibble

Smash Champion
[UNSPOILER'D]It's not a very good series and is getting an unusual amount of attention considering?[/UNSPOILER'D]
Opinions opinions...

Oh, and Kirby is a good series in my opinion, but you're right, it's gone a little too far... Kawasaki was good, but now we've got random blobs. Mind, I usually like random blobby stuff, but it's just not right. I'm just glad it hasn't gone this way with Mario or something...we'll be seeing Kylie Koopa soon no doubt.
What random blobs might those be? The only random blob in the Kirby games is Gooey, and he doesn't have a moveset. :p

Out of about 189 movesets so far in the contest, around 14 are from the Kirby franchise. That's about...

*does calculation*

...seven percent!
Excellent! :bee:

Anyway, about this whole MYM vs. Smash thing... I think it's important that we remember that we're making Smash characters, but also that we're not confined to the patterns we see in Smash. Pushing the boundaries is great, but breaking them, not so much. There's a fine line between making a character creative and reasonable, and making them so original that their moveset would be impossible to fit in with the existing roster.

Smady

Smash Master
On what Mendez is saying about transformations, it's not going to just be what they're holding, but how they're holding it. I think that would be perogative of the MYMer in this case, as you really can't expect someone to see a difference if it really is so miniscule... make it obvious! People are going to notice a sword in their character's hands, but not if it's in the background, is the same colour as the background before that and is the size of a toothpick. Players are more intelligent than some give them credit for, and they would easily notice that their character is now... wut... holstering a blade and cutting people with it. Oh lawd, how did I do dat?!

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob

I have to agree with you there K.Rool, especially about characters playing differently, and that off the wall characters are more fun.

In more important news, Hitmontop is a john and a myth....
At the same time.....

goldwyvern

Smash Ace

I 100% agree with this. if you have a high-jumping italian plumber who shoots fireballs and swings capes, how and why would he be similarly played as an anthromorphic bird from brooklyn who has high-tech weaponry and a lazer?

a mechanic, no matter how far fetched or complicated, if backed up with effort from developers, can become a reality. a 3-in-1 character was made, a bike can be placed on the stage, and olimar gets access to pikmin. if kawasaki says "let there be soup," then soup will appear!

phatcat203

Smash Apprentice
SirKibble: That Scarfy thing. There's a pic of it on page 613. It's an orange blob.

Oh, I agree with KingK.Rool so far. However, if you're going to some up with a completely new mechanic, you have to be dedicated. Nothing worse than a half-baked mechanic.

EDIT: I'm not a cannibal!

Baloo

Smash Ace
So, there are a marzillion new pages since the day before yesterday. Awfully convenient that the one day I can't access a computer everyone has this odd urge to post movesets.

Now, would someone please tell me any movesets posted yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom