• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New technique: Edge Grabbing

Melee1

Smash Journeyman
My brothers and I were messing around on tuesday when we accidently discovered something new in brawl. This technique is done by simply grabbing your opponent when they're holding the edge. We've tested it out with several characters, roughly half of the cast can be yanked from the edge. Most of the characters can grab other characters off of the edge but we were unable to do it with peach, zero suit samus and toon link, and it was very difficult to do with link, captain falcon, gannondorf and samus. Lucas on the other hand has a simple trick and is the easiest character with a tether grab that can pull it off. Characters who are low to the ground like ness and jigglypuff also have an easy time doing it. This technique is extremely useful with olimar. His ability to grab by using pikmin that slide across the ground allows him to grab some characters that others can't. Here is how it's done.

It can be done two different ways.
1. Simply dash toward the edge that your opponent is on and grab just before you fall.

2. Stand still, leaning off of the edge and grab.

I know that the invinciblilty frames when the person who you're trying to grab gets when they grab the edge can lead to a problem when trying to perform this, but it can easily be accomplished by using mindgames. This is just another trick that most players can use when edguarding opponents.

Here is the video we made with several examples of this new technique being used.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoUiioSSUo0

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
so now wario mains can be grab released from the edge too...
next we're gonna find some way to air grab.

anyways, this really is amazing and this seems really useful.
lol all the very usefull techs are all grabs.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Why would wario stay on the ledge for that long without replenishing his inv.frames? D:

Spacing a f-smash(if it reaches under the ledge) seems like a better option, and its much less punishable.

Of course, I'm hating because Peach can't pull it off :'[

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
oh crap. if they dont get it back then any charecter with a chaingrab simply has to chain grab them to the other side of the stage for the kill.
theyd just fall to oblivion...

wow.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I could have sworn the Olimar boards beat you to this.....by like... months

(We've been grabbing people off the ledge for a while..)

Olimar Mains testing:

Character has to hang a bit above the ledge (like MK/Char etc.) in order to be grabbed off of the edge.

EDIT:
oh hi there Meno. :)

Editing of the Edit:

Long time no talk xD how's your Peach?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
The Olimar's have know this for awhile. Just FYI.

EDIT: D*** YOU HAVOKK! I WAS DAMPENING THEIR DISCOVERY

EDITEDIT: Hi Havokk ;)

EDITEDITEDIT: She is coming along fantastically. I actually have a tournament coming up this weekend, I think I'll do decently. I still haz you on my friendlist, let's play sometime.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Yea this is oldd news to oli boards. I guess we never really told any other boards haha. It's actually pretty rare that you get it, since people don't chill on the edge for too long, but it's nice when you can get it.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Hm, I wonder if this works with Marth.

This would actually be a good reason to check out every characters Jump Break to look for vulnerabilities.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
As much as I would like to say, "This is an awesome find! Nice job!"...

...Good luck finding someone who would be an idiot and just hang onto the ledge like that -_-

XienZo

Smash Lord
Yeah, Olimar likes yanking people off.

But if we told everyone else we'd lose the element of surprise so it remained a secret known only to the Olimar boards.

Until today.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Good to keep in mind. A friend of mine likes to chill on the edge for long periods of times, and I play IC's.
I'm surprised I didn't discover this a long time ago, though. I always dash grab at the edge when he's hanging there. Oh well, good stuff regardless.

Daimonster

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't work against some characters. I.E wario does not hang off the ledge high enough for him to be edgegrabbed.

Quit posting assumptions in this thread without testing it first (shaslam)!

There is a list of characters that cannot be grabbed off the ledge and some can grab others etc etc. Test for yourself and see what your character can do.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Doesn't work against some characters. I.E wario does not hang off the ledge high enough for him to be edgegrabbed.

Quit posting assumptions in this thread without testing it first (shaslam)!

There is a list of characters that cannot be grabbed off the ledge and some can grab others etc etc. Test for yourself and see what your character can do.
It depends on the grabber too, Olimar's pikmin will pluck off about nearly everyone.

Minwu

Smash Journeyman
I had an ear to ear grin when you showed Yoshi air release > fair spiking MK.

Also yeah I could imagine G&W being helped from this too

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
this is old, the dk boards had a thread about it in may

EDIT: here's the post, actually posted end of march

Sorry if this is old news, but a search yielded nothing and it wasn't in the DK 101 thing.

So, if a character protrudes a bit over the edge when they're hanging on it (such as mario, toon link, olimar, or DK himself, to name a few) DK can simply stand around 1-3 nudges of the control stick away from the ledge (facing it, obviously) and perform a standing grab. Voila, he now has his enemy in his clutches. Excellent set-up for cargo-to-stagepike.

Edit: You can also do this with dash-grab. Just run and grab when you're at the same spot described above for the standing grab.

Edit: Tested with every character, here's the ones I've been able to do it with

*=for some reason, I've only been able to do the dash-grab version on this character

Mario
DK
Kirby
Pikachu
G&W*
Luigi
Meta Knight
Falco...?(Have only been able to do it once, with the dash-grab)
Pokemon Trainer (all three Pokemon)
Yoshi
Ice Climbers
Dedede...?(Same situation as Falco)
Ness
Bowser*
Wario*
Toon Link
Olimar
Jigglypuff
Lucas

So...over half the cast. Not bad.

Daimonster

Smash Journeyman
My friend and I discovered this a while ago with G&W. If you grab them off the edge and dthrow them it's a really strong spike.
Doesn't work if you smash DI away from the ledge. Learn to use REAL testing dummies please!

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
not really practical against smart people, since you gotta wait till they run out of invincibility frames, and most characters have better options when that happens

Melee1

Smash Journeyman
Apparently 90 percent of the community had no idea.. Im not trying to steal anyones credit. I want to help everyone on there game and this thread will help further along AT. (It will pressure people off the edge more)People in melee were able to super wave dash with samus off of one frame!! Im sure competitive smashers will easily incorporate it into their games...I figured that people have done it at least once but here it is again in the open just in case you missed it.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
^ Not really, people who ledgestall don't really literally hang on to the edge for most of the time, they just constantly retreat to it. It's an extremely small period of time to do the grab if that's the case, and easily avoided by simply dropping from the ledge.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I'll add this to the AT's and General Discoveries sticky.

Y'know, people can say all day that 'This is already known' but as long as there are people out there that probably don't know about it, then it's good that it's bought out into the open. It's good because then other people will see it, and possibly bring to light extended applications of it, or find something new.

I think I'm going to choose a day over the Aussie Summer and read through all the stickies of all the character boards. There's bound to be stuff like this that seems character specific, but in actuality can be applied to multiple characters.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Doesn't work if you smash DI away from the ledge. Learn to use REAL testing dummies please!
You cannot smash DI throws.

Learn to use REAL smash physics ^_^!!! Hehehe.

Seriously though if you just hold in you won't be spiked by GW's dthrow >_>. And you can't SDI throws.

Daimonster

Smash Journeyman
You cannot smash DI throws.

Learn to use REAL smash physics ^_^!!! Hehehe.

Seriously though if you just hold in you won't be spiked by GW's dthrow >_>. And you can't SDI throws.
I di/smashDi everything. It means the same to me, even tho it isn't. If you hold towards the stage...you won't fall straight down. That is what I implied.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Snake doesn't have an infinite on the edge.
Show's what you know :laugh:

Facing away from stage, on the edge, grab your opponent. Dthrow them... then grab and throw them.... then >.> ya you guessed it... grab and dthrow them.

Although it does seem most (if not all) characters can bair to get out xD or its just me messing up. (and even then, you should be able to get that "grab armour" on some of those bairs)

Top Bottom