• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Edge Grabbing" with Marth

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Edge Grabbing is a new tech discovered by l_Melee1_l. What it allows you to do is grab somebody who is handing onto the ledge. Here is the topic on that:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=207554

And the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoUiioSSUo0

Now what we need to do is find out who Marth can grab off the ledge, and who can grab Marth off the ledge. I haven't tested this at all yet, but I'll be doing some soon. I'd like to ask everyone else to at least test out some characters, and I'll fill out the table accordingly.

Edge Grab > Grab Release > Tipper Fair on MK anyone?

*EDIT: I've tested all of the characters, results shown below*

MARTH CANNOT BE EDGE GRABBED BY ANY CHARACTER

Y=Marth Can Edge Grab
N=Marth Cannot Edge Grab

Mario: Y
DK: Y
Link: N
Samus: N
ZSS: N
Kirby: N
Fox: N
Pikachu: Y
Marth: N
G&W: N
Luigi: N
Diddy: N
Zelda: N
Sheik: N
Pit: N
Metaknight: Y ^_^
Falco: N
Squirtle: N
Ivysaur: N
Charizard: Y
Ike: N
Snake: N
Peach: N
Yoshi: Y
Ganondorf: N
IC's:N
Dedede: N
Wolf: N
Lucario: N
Ness: Y
Sonic: N
Bowser: N
Wario: N
Toon Link: N
ROB: N
Olimar: Y
C Falcon: N
Jigglypuff: N
Lucas: Y

Ok, I've tested all of them now. Apparently, nobody can edge grab Marth. And we can Edge Grab MK. Overall, there aren't too many characters we can edge grab, but since we can't get edge grabbed at all this is definitely a positive discovery. A couple of them (including MK) are dash grab only.

Let me know if I messed anything up please.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
if you're that close to the edge with a grabbed MK, you can't get the alotted distance for an f-air anyways, this is good for other **** tho

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
if you're that close to the edge with a grabbed MK, you can't get the alotted distance for an f-air anyways, this is good for other **** tho
Forgot that you needed a running start, dammit. Ah well, think of the possibilities against Wario :)

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
I can see it now....

Someones planking and gets Edge grabbed, then 0-deathed by Iceys or something rofl.

Seems useful tho, ill look into it.

UWOcho

Smash Apprentice
whoever feels like testing this add me on aim:: ochobrawl

*edit* I can't figure out how to consistently do this with characters with tether grabs, so i'm going to leave them out.

Results so far:
(Marth Can Grab)/(Marth Can Get Grabbed)
Mario: N/N
DK: Y/N
Link: ?
Samus: ?
Kirby: N/N

After further testing, it appears that Marth is impssible to be grabbed from the ledge. The same goes for all characters who hang below the ledge while grabbing on to it.

UWOcho

Smash Apprentice
This can also be done against:
-Not mk, sorry guys (like you'd get an opening to do this anyways)
-Charizard
-Ness*
-Olimar
-Lucas*

* This character makes several attempts while hogging the ledge to get up. You can observe these slight movements by choosing any of these characters and hanging on the ledge for a few seconds. Grabbing them while on the ledge will only work while they are at the top of their "get up" attempts. When they are on the bottom, this grab will not work.

Even still, this seems absolutely useless, especially for a character like marth whose ledge game is so great

UWOcho

Smash Apprentice
yeah, i decided not to test anyone out against marth after the first few. People with 'melee' grabs won't work vs marth. I'm not sure about tether grabs.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Okay...so we gotta dash grab MK from the ledge for this to work...ehh...sigh...

Inb4shuttleloop

*cries*

UWOcho

Smash Apprentice
Can you really grab mk? what's the timing on it....? Also you should write that little bit about ness and lucas in your original post (and give me credit for my extreme concentration skills. No way anyone with inferior abilities would have discovered such a trick!
MINDGAMES, SON!
)

No just kidding I dont care about credit, but you should update the first post with that little bit. You can't always grab them.

And also you should pu beside MK's something among the lines of "Utterly [size=+2]USELESS"[/size] because 5 uairs in 30 frames beat 1 dash grab in 30 frames (not at all exaggerated i promise)

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Can you really grab mk? what's the timing on it....? Also you should write that little bit about ness and lucas in your original post (and give me credit for my extreme concentration skills. No way anyone with inferior abilities would have discovered such a trick!
MINDGAMES, SON!
)

No just kidding I dont care about credit, but you should update the first post with that little bit. You can't always grab them.

And also you should pu beside MK's something among the lines of "Utterly [size=+2]USELESS"[/size] because 5 uairs in 30 frames beat 1 dash grab in 30 frames (not at all exaggerated i promise)
I'll add it, just gotta test it myself first. Sounds interesting, though.

Hippiedude: You can test it yourself, but you need two controllers. I just got finished doing it that way.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I don't think you can because the infinite grab release requires ness to do his forced ground grab break. Without any ground, I'm sure he can possibly DI away in the air.
Right answer, wrong reason. If you keep pummeling him he will do a ground break, but he will fall of the stage. It does, however set you up nicely for a gimp.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Firstly, stop crediting Melee_1 with this discovery. This has been known for a while but just not very much talked about. Check the thread for Edge Grabbing that you have provided the link for and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Secondly, the only way this will be useful is if the opponent does something that nearly no one does... hanging on the edge past their invincibility frames.
But it's still good to know about this so we have the option in case the opponent is stupid, lol.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Firstly, stop crediting Melee_1 with this discovery. This has been known for a while but just not very much talked about. Check the thread for Edge Grabbing that you have provided the link for and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Secondly, the only way this will be useful is if the opponent does something that nearly no one does... hanging on the edge past their invincibility frames.
But it's still good to know about this so we have the option in case the opponent is stupid, lol.
Well, the person who brings it to light is the one who will be credited with it. If I discover the cure for cancer but don't tell anyone about it for a week and by then some other guy's told everyone, I don't mean **** now, do I?

That being said, I agree that this isn't very useful but is just another one of those things that can never hurt, especially since this can't be done to Marth.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Cool discovery, whoever actually made it. It's cool that it can be done on Metaknight but dashing in for a grab, regardless of whether the MK knows he can be ledgegrabbed or not, is just gonna get you a shuttle loop to the face...

Plankers with less ledge options, however, might get gimped by this... ledgegrab, pummel to ground break putting them below edge, ff fair/instant ledgehog/tip dair. Who knows. Would be one of those tactics you'd only get away with once in a match though, if at all.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
I dunno but this looks useless, a dtilt would work better if someones invincebility frames have passed, which doesn't happen too frequently. Really its a waste of time.

Top Bottom