• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official G&W Stage Discussion #9: Halberd

K 2

Smash Lord
This seems like a popular stage, so let's discuss it!

Here's some more pictures:

w00t! I'm a Smash Lord now!

jog

Smash Journeyman
alright perks that come to mind
1) up b through the stage, could be good for jumping of to avoid a hit and hitting back with up b.
2) nair pressure through the floating platform.
3) d tilt of the ledge for edge guarding
i know there's a bunch more to be done here but that's all i can think of at the moment.

congrats K 2 on being a smash lord now :)

(too bad you can't bucket the main halbard gun)

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
grats on the post count : )

halberds good against some characters bad against others.

really the big thing to look at is their ability to kill upwards. certainly you are going to want to avoid this stage against snake (better to ban fd against him, this stage at least leaves 1 platform out at all times), but its probably good against mk etc.

stage gives you an approach from below, being able to attack through the platform and such.

also the platform layout when the stage is moving might be condusive to some characters camping, like diddy, oli, etc, but also might be good because of the layout for people to approach you because of the angle it works at.

also you can't bucket the laser, don't bother trying...

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Lol, I can't believe you even mentioned that bit. I dont know anyone who would try to bucket that:<
It's like suggesting you can absorb Oil Panic with Lucas.

About the laser, just make sure you can DI out of it consistently. It isnt hard.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I know I just started playing G&W, but I really love this stage. The platform makes it very easy to combo and is the perfect height for nair juggling. Being able to go through the stage basically turns all your recovery options into combo options. The low ceiling height is a double-edged sword. Generally it works in your favor, but against opponents who kill off the top like Snake it's definitely a bad thing. Omegablackmage also has a point about camping, so don't take a camper here.

As for not bucketing the Halberd gun, I found that out the hard way. :(

Congratulations on your lordship.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
grats on the post count : )

halberds good against some characters bad against others.

really the big thing to look at is their ability to kill upwards. certainly you are going to want to avoid this stage against snake (better to ban fd against him, this stage at least leaves 1 platform out at all times), but its probably good against mk etc.

stage gives you an approach from below, being able to attack through the platform and such.

also the platform layout when the stage is moving might be condusive to some characters camping, like diddy, oli, etc, but also might be good because of the layout for people to approach you because of the angle it works at.

also you can't bucket the laser, don't bother trying...
I was actually playing a GW in tournament in a ditto during the early days of brawl and he had picked halberd. When he said he wanted halberd I said: "Man, it's really stupid that GW can bucket that laser..." Him: "He can?" Me: "Yeah of course lol".

So we are playing and I'm beating him and the laser homes in on him and I say: "Crap!" out loud. I start running towards him like I'm going to try and bucket the laser and he just sits there with his bucket out and I stop and he gets hit by the laser LOL. He was sooo pissed and I just laughed my *** off. Later he tried to tell the TO I cheated, but I explained the situation and he just laughed.

Was amazing.

jog

Smash Journeyman
I was actually playing a GW in tournament in a ditto during the early days of brawl and he had picked halberd. When he said he wanted halberd I said: "Man, it's really stupid that GW can bucket that laser..." Him: "He can?" Me: "Yeah of course lol".

So we are playing and I'm beating him and the laser homes in on him and I say: "Crap!" out loud. I start running towards him like I'm going to try and bucket the laser and he just sits there with his bucket out and I stop and he gets hit by the laser LOL. He was sooo pissed and I just laughed my *** off. Later he tried to tell the TO I cheated, but I explained the situation and he just laughed.

Was amazing.
lololololololololololol
pwnd:chuckle:

_Phloat_

Smash Champion

Was amazing.
I want to be you o_0.

Srsly, good stuff.

Gates

Banned via Warnings

Was amazing.
Hylian, you are one evil mother****er, you know that?
lol

K 2

Smash Lord

Was amazing.
Lol!!!!!! I'm tempted to put that in my summary...hahahaha!

Hylian, your just too good.

K 2

Smash Lord
Lots of people try to be fancy and recover through the stage after a ledgedrop. I think G&W's dair can hit them through the main stage and spike them. I'll have to test this out, but I'm pretty sure if you hit them, they won't make it back.

jog

Smash Journeyman
Lots of people try to be fancy and recover through the stage after a ledgedrop. I think G&W's dair can hit them through the main stage and spike them. I'll have to test this out, but I'm pretty sure if you hit them, they won't make it back.
i think this could work.
good idea

edit:

i also hate the claw on this stage.
died to the claw my last match here. which never happens, but now i have a hate for it.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
I think if you catch them right when they start to come through the bottom the dair can spike them, I'd try to test but I don't have any help setting someone up to recover from below

K 2

Smash Lord
Does anyone know the mechanics of the claw/massive laser cannon? Does it randomly choose, or does it lock on to the winner, or what?

jog

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know the mechanics of the claw/massive laser cannon? Does it randomly choose, or does it lock on to the winner, or what?
i think its random, but i got clawed when i was losing. and i can't remember if i was locked on by the laser when i was winning or losing.

K 2

Smash Lord
BUMP....come on people...

strategies? counterpicks? ratings? anything to warn G&W about? specific tricks for this stage?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I like this stage, and in tournaments with liberal neutral lists, it's your best neutral. As a counterpick it's not too bad and is probably your best bet on a conservative stage list, but if you have stuff like Norfair or Green Greens around I'd pass this stage up.

As per strategies, play under the stage a lot on the aerial form; Mr. Game & Watch is good at it. That low area in the middle is great to crouch in to avoid some stuff like Falco lasers (he actually can't hit you no matter how he short hops!), and all around it's a very good stage to land lots of fishbowls. The grounded portion is really nice for the unsweetspotted down smash and the forward smash; they kill way too low if you use them near the side of the course. You can kinda do your usual platform game with the key and the fishbowl on this form even.

A neat trick when the aerial form is landing is to get under the part that used to be flying and go nuts from below. If they don't come down and join you, it's a really strong position for you that tends to lead to free damage. You can even mindgame them if you know the stage is going to land. Jump out really far and act like you missed your recovery but get "saved" by the new platform. People tend to relax when they think the opponent is for sure dead, and that can psych them into taking a fishbowl. It's not huge or something you can fall back on over and over, but it's hilarious when you pull it off.

As per the hazards, don't get hit. They can actually help you tech chase with the down throw once in a while, but really they don't matter much at all.

Of course, like some people have been saying, this stage is generally good but isn't going to be good against all the characters. I find it pretty cool against those who like projectiles and wouldn't be scared to take someone like Snake here, but I also hear that makes me crazy so make your own judgments. As per who not to take here, I'm struggling to think of specific characters but anyone who enjoys the blast zones more than you is going to be a really risky person to bring here. I'd give it a 7/10 probably; it's just the ordinary kind of good.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
AA do you play a lot and discuss this stuff, or just theorycraft? Not saying TCing is a bad idea, NEO relies on it =]

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I play as much as I can, and I have a pretty good memory from what I have played. I do theorycraft too of course; that's where I get silly ideas for things I might try out in matches. If I'm saying something like a stage analysis, you can be pretty sure that most of what I'm saying I have experience with unless I specifically say otherwise.

K 2

Smash Lord
There's nothing wrong with theorycraft. In fact, theorycraft is actually really useful in trying to find out new techniques/strats. Just be sure to state which one so we know what needs to be tested and what doesn't.

How does everyone else feel about Halberd, in terms of ratings and such?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Probably 6-7. I think AA's post was spot on: If it's a neutral, grab it. If it's one of your only CP's because of a conservative list, grab it. Otherwise just go to the Bread'n'butter counterpick stages.

I dislike some characters here, though, but I dont think I could name the ones who get a buff here for sure.

K 2

Smash Lord
I'm not sure, I asked that question earlier and someone said it was random. I read about the mechanics of the laser and claw somewhere, but I can't remember what it said...

Neb

Smash Lord
I play there quite a bit, and I've noticed it goes after one of the two (higher or lower), just can't remember which.

K 2

Smash Lord
It goes after the higher percents. I played on that stage a few times and it went for the higher person 4/5 times. The other time it went for the lower percent because the higher percented guy just got KO'd. So its highest percent, and then next highest percent if the highest percent is not avaliable.

g2g4l

Smash Apprentice
Bonus:
1.) get really good use out of Up+B
2.) Plat form makes use of aerial attack
3.) going through bottom of stage can make for a surprise attack
4.) Up smash becomes so awesome here due to the low stage
5) so does Side and Down smash since all the sides are close

Minus:
1.) Since G&W is light the close sides is bad
2.) the not so solid bottom can make Up + B come up short
3.) the laser=bad

Taeran

Smash Journeyman

Was amazing.
Lol, once I was bored so I started using Sheik. I tell my friend Ganon is Sheik's worst matchup, so he uses Ganon. Obviously I'm a lot better then he is, and Sheik has about a 98.5 to 1.5 matchup on it. I suicide twice, and then kill him.

It was fun.

Now, on topic.

I think, for the above reasons, that Halberd is a 7.5/10.

K 2

Smash Lord
Can you guys tell me something useful I can put into the Stage Discussion Index. This stage discussion is over unless anyone has anything important to add. We are discussing lylat cruise now.

Top Bottom