• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Stage Discussion Thread

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Brinstar, Pokemon Stadium 1, and Pokemon Stadium 2 can be found here:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=181505

Hello everyone and welcome to the -insert title here- .

In this thread we will be discussing Snake's best and worst stages, but in order!

We will be starting with Neutral Stages, and after this first one, we'll start taking "votes" on what stage to do next. After all Neutral Stages are finished, we will work on Counterpick Stages.

Note:
There is no "time limit" to how long we will discuss a stage. If we manage to cover the stage in a matter of an hour, we will move onto the next stage after a quick vote. When you give your opinion and details on the stage, I would like you to cast your vote for our next stage. When the discussion for our stage is finished, I will tally up the votes and we will cover that stage.

Things to discuss-
  • Mine Placement - Orange Areas
  • C4 Placement - Blue Areas
  • Grenade Mindgames
  • Best Spot to Camp - Red Square
  • Why he does good here
  • Why he does bad here
  • Counterpick this stage against: (which characters)
  • Rate it 1-10 (Where 1 is Worst Stage and 10 is Best Stage)

Ok now, shall we get started?

Our first stage was: Battlefield [ Discussion held on Pages 1 -2 ]

Mine Placement (Orange Areas):

Underneath a low-level platform.
Underneath a mine that is on top of a low-level platform.

C4 Placement (Blue Areas):
Underneath stage
A bit away from ledge (stage spikes)
On top of a low-level platform.
Above a mine
On the high-level platform (can get ko's if they try a high aerial approach due to the "underneath" hitbox)

Grenade Mindgames:
You can go on the bottom edges of the stage, and normal toss a grenade. It will stop on the platform in front of you, and has a small hitbox underneath it. You can be under the grenade and not get hit so long as you are Crouching and do not use dtilt.

When on platform above opponent, shield drop a grenade and shield because most opponents will up smash/tilt/aerial.

Best Spot to Camp (Red Square):

On either side of the stage.

Why he does good here:
Low Top, Small Sides, easy KO's

Why he does bad here:

Harder to camp because of platforms, less recovery room

Counterpick this stage against:
:pikachu: - Thunder becomes next to useless, gets KO'd easily for being lightweight, platforms can mess with Thunderjolt.

Our second stage was: Smashville [ Discussion held on Pages 2 -4 ]

On the platform (can't see the orange) or on the orange part of the stage because it blends in.

On the moving platform to create a moving hitbox, under the stage, or near the edges for stage spikes.

Grenade Mindgames:
Shield dropping a grenade while the platform is moving makes the grenade "roll" off.
You can throw a grenade onto the moving platform to create a moving hitbox.

Best Spot to Camp (Red Square): [/SIZE]

Why he does good here:

Why he does bad here:

Ourthird stage is: Final Destination [ Discussion held on Pages 2 -x ]

Grenade Mindgames:

Best Spot to Camp (Red Square): [/SIZE]

Why he does good here:

Why he does bad here:

SuSa

Mine Placement:

Below any of the two lower platforms

C4 Placement:
Above Mine
On Other Side of Stage from where you are camping (to "double force" an approach)

Camp on:

Left or Right side behind platforms

Why Snake does good here:

Low Top, small sides. Easy KO's
Hard to be outcamped by characters like Falco and ROB (or camped harder then if you chose FD)
Platforms work wonders for C4 and mines
Easy to tech on and NOT GET CAUGHT on the ledge

Why Snake does bad here:
Less room to c4 recover from the bottom, easier to get spiked
Is easily juggled by characters like Olimar who love platforms to keep uair chains going.

Any light character THaT DOESN'T HAVE MULTIPLE JUMPS!! (You'll get WoP'nd to death!).... you don't have to recover far, and you can KO them easily with ftilt or utilt.

DUB

Smash Lord
More specifically this stage is a great CP against Pikachu. Thunder us practically useless.

I agree with all the placements of mines you have.

What I do here sometimes is SD a grenade in the middle, roll back and toss a grenadeonto the opposite side platform and wavebounce a nikita back to add more pressure.

SuSa

Havokk this is looking really impressive.
eh, stealing the picture off of Smash Dojo and editing it in Photoshop isn't all that hard. :laugh: but thanks nontheless.

Come on people :3 start giving reasons (or I'll just take my reply and start editing it into the OP if no one proves what I said wrong)

Also:

Sticking the underside of the stage is just to fun.

@ran

EDIT:

I only saw the thread link when you gave it. Sorry xD

edit2:

OP Updated yet again, with a foot note >.>

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Good thread, I like it. And I wouldn't say that thunder is "useless" on BF. Definitely a fine Pikachu CP, though. I also use this stage to CP MK sometimes, too. A fun fact is that after you throw a nade on top of a platform, you can actually crouch underneath it so the explosion doesn't hit you. Although I found out that if you Dtilt then the nade can still hit you (in tournament no less :( ).

Overall, BF is definitely one of Snake's better stages.

SuSa

Good thread, I like it. And I wouldn't say that thunder is "useless" on BF. Definitely a fine Pikachu CP, though. I also use this stage to CP MK sometimes, too. A fun fact is that after you throw a nade on top of a platform, you can actually crouch underneath it so the explosion doesn't hit you. Although I found out that if you Dtilt then the nade can still hit you (in tournament no less :( ).

Overall, BF is definitely one of Snake's better stages.
I put "next to useless" mostly because of the platforms. It becomes an edgeguarding/space it between two platforms type of thing. It's not like FD where he can use it basically anywhere.

Also neat fun fact for the grenades, I'll add that. (weird that a dtilt would do that :/)

Editing OP with a rating system. >.> lol

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
When on the platforms, if your opponent is below you it is always a good idea to drop a nade and block, since usually they will try their up tilt/smash/air on you.

I agree with the c4/mine loations on the picture.

CSBrokaw

Smash Cadet
The lower two platforms are amazing with C4: it just creates a big explosive platform :)

C4 on platform + mine below platform (to the left or right of the C4) = COVERED.

Pretty much Snake's stage right here.

SuSa

I guess we'll come back to counterpicks?

Next stage:

Smashville

(Pictures and all that cool stuff coming soon)

Why smashville?

I feel BF and Smashville are Snake's best stages :p

Discuss (everything to discuss about is in the OP)

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
IMO, Battlefield is nuetral against mk. Sometimes it works with absolute **** if you control your explosives or its boring. The mk just stalls by using his six jumps and gliding under and going in for a quick attack. =/ Just depends how gay mk is. Oh yeah, you forgot to add where you can put a c4. You can put it on the side of BF. It works and if they ledge stall...BOOM. :D

SuSa

IMO, Battlefield is nuetral against mk. Sometimes it works with absolute **** if you control your explosives or its boring. The mk just stalls by using his six jumps and gliding under and going in for a quick attack. =/ Just depends how gay mk is. Oh yeah, you forgot to add where you can put a c4. You can put it on the side of BF. It works and if they ledge stall...BOOM. :D
You didn't look at the picture carefully. ;)

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Smashville is a GREAT stage for Snake. It's nice and flat, giving you free license to rain hellacious explosives all over your opponent. If they get tired of exploding constantly and decide to camp the platform, you can easily knock them off with Mortars/nades/Nikita.

Obviously, planting C4 on the platform generates a moving explosive, which is practically broken. I find it's also worth putting a mine there, because it will force your opponent to jump way over it, or walk underneath, which limits their approach options and makes them more likely to eat a Ftilt.

The platform also sometimes helps out Snake's recovery. We all know how easy it is for Snake to get gimped, but if the platform comes over to your side, you have another place to recover to.

The size of the stage is about perfect for Snake, too. It's just big enough that you can get anywhere with a mortar slide, but you still have some room to camp.

Really, the only neutral I'd rather go to with Snake is FD.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
You didn't look at the picture carefully. ;)
I've been bamboozled!

Edit: Smashville: Great overall stage for snake, really. The platform comes in handy with your c4 of course and recovery. Planting a mine on the platform and performing a throw into it looks really sexy too. If FD or BF fails you some how, go here. Your mines can blend in with the floor and your grenades will keep them under pressure since its actually a small stage. Go here if you want to avoid chain grabs too...(you should of banned FD). ;)

Nic64

Smash Lord
the moving platform on smashville is awesome, as well as creating a moving pile of explosives it can also save you from a cypher grab if you luck out and it happens to be there(granted your opponent can still usually attack you but it's better than having to C4 yourself most of the time), and on the occasion that both you and your opponent are standing on it you can get some early KOs sometimes with ftilt/jab(utilt will also kill earlier than normal obviously). and if you get grab with your back to most of the platform you can always get a follow up hit on the dthrow. most of that is highly circumstantial but yeah, moving bombs ftw

personally I wouldn't camp the platform too much as it's only off the edge for a moment and then you're directly above your opponent, but maybe I'm doing it wrong lol.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Smashville would be my favorite stage if the music didn't drive me insane. That's why I use BF. :psycho:

Smashville is an awesome stage for snake, but I wouldn't use it against chars like Falco who have a chaingrab, but not nearly as bad as FD. Mines stop that :laugh:.

Other then that, its Snake's best stage.
The moving platform not only serves as a projectile, it can also sometimes save your *** when your trying to recover and its there. Edgeguarders don't like to go near it because of Mr. McBoomboom. Do you guys know that little blue line? I camp past that with a Mine a little bit in front of that line.

To Havokk, I think we should include "camo" if any on that stage.

Ex. Leopard for Brinstar, leopard for Japes, leopard for PSs on ground transformation, Real Camo on ...

Red on Norfair???

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
On Smashville, If you're any good at the dthrow infinite, if you land a dthrow on the moving platform, you can keep doing dthrow until it reaches the far side of whichever way you're facing then kill with a fthrow

its funny

SuSa

Considering your name or P1(2,3,4) should totally give you away in the first place.... camo isn't that important IMO.

Also, what should the next stage be? FD/Lylat/Yoshi's Island (Brawl)? (has to be one of those 3 =p)

Also, sorry about being a little less active... IRL issues :/

Staco

Smash Champion
The moving plattform at sv is good for c4, but its bad for your upsmash.
It can ruin your edgeguard against some characters.

The platform is good for planting a dsmash on it.
You can throw, ftilt and so on your opponent into the dsmash.

I would say its a good Snake stage, but I wouldnt pick it against chars, where you need your edgeguard skills (upsmash and so on). (example: DDD, he can use the platform to recover, the platform can shield him from up falling down up smashes)

The next stage pls Yoshis Island.
This Stage seems to be really good for Snake. ;)

cycon365

Smash Apprentice
Smashville would be my favorite stage if the music didn't drive me insane.
To Havokk, I think we should include "camo" if any on that stage.
Aww, I love the music, and I vote Leopard for Smashville, the NPCs in the background ruin the effect, but on the ground it's pretty similiar.

Also, the platform ruins the mortar, but helps Nair and C4

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I only hate some tracks.

I like the Go K.K. Slider! track.

Sorta....

Leopard on Brinstar is...

Guerilla Tactics inspiring.

I hope you guys know what that means...

light blue GaW on corneria is also like that.

Nope

Smash Lord
I think FD should be next:

FD is a very good stage for snake flat and wide open. Giving snake a lot of long range camping game as well as a couple nice pressure setups .This gives Snake many advantages:

-The Stage is pretty big and snake can easily live to 200% against a lot of the cast with good DI
-Snake hits HARD so we can finish people off at half the percentage that we can live to here! I think the average utilt kills at 110% here

- Easy Nade camping
The Map is very large and your nades cover a lot of ground very fast. This stage is even good against some other projectile spammers (DDD, Toon Link, Link) Your nades out range their projectile game for the most part making this easier. If the character has no projectiles you can sit back and wait for them to come into Ftilt range and we all know how good that is =p

- Mortar Slide covers a lot of ground on this map

- Mortar Edge guarding at its finest without platforms to escape to like on Smashville and BF
Just Shoot up a few mortars drop a grenade roll back and then judge their recovery. If they try to recover high a full hoped nair works. Miss timed the mortars and their recovery? you can still plant a c4 near the edge and toss another nade to give them tougher options again:

Roll = Free utilt/c4 your choice
Jump = utilt/full hopped nair
Get up= probably a nade or c4 in there face
Get up attack = a free grab/mortar slide
regrab the edge for invincibility = there best option and then you just repeat the process! too fun

I personally like to place c4 near the edges or dead center of the stage depending on the match up.

-Center
If they have no projectiles and need to approach you can put it on the center of the map and camp one side with nades. Use it as another threat to their approach (it's very nerve racking being around c4 at high percents and they WILL hesitate or be wary of it) it also allows you an easy mortar slide on there approach to get to the other side of the stage and repeat the process.

-Edges
obviously just like every other stage as another edge guard threat and when they are trying to keep the distance from you. Good against any type of play style and used more often vs campy opponents. I also like to place mines on the edges and camp the opposite side to pressure them back into mines and c4.

-Camping spots
Center stage with c4/mines behind you so they have to get close and personal or be blow up
either edge with c4 in the middle or the opposite side of the stage

Characters to AVOID here:

Diddy Kong - BAN THIS ALL DAY Bananas are tough to deal with and can cause you tons of problems! It's Diddys best map!

Pikachu - Lots of Room for Jolt spam, combos and annoying thunders

DDD - no one likes to be chain grabbed across the stage for 40-50% DDD also lives along time here. (other then that your projectiles out range him here!)

Falco - Lasers have can control a lot of the stage and they can pressure you well here (Falco also gets some easy chaingrabs)

Wolf- Lasers see falco but with properly placed c4 and wolfs shaky recovery this one is winnable!

Pit - Easy arrow spam and lots of room to work with!

R.O.B - Lots of room for rob to camp with lasers and gyro. He also lives a long time here because of his great recovery and how big the stage is. (although it is harder for R.O.B to score offstage gimps here)

Characters to TAKE here -

DK - He wants to be in your face and get you in the air. The camping game really makes it hard for him to approach and lets you get some easy %

Meta Knight - the horizontal distance is the best of all the starters and you live more often after a shuttle loop! tornado approach is easy to grenade and grenade counter because of how big the stage is. It just makes it overall harder to approach snake and get him in the air. This is always welcomed against meta Knight.

Wario - Again the same with DK your ground game is amplified and warios pressure game is nerfed due to the stage size and your ability to grenade camp.

I'm not going to list why I think its good against almost the rest of the cast but you can get the point. Snake has an advantage against most of the cast here and he has a better survive/kill ratio due to how strong he is and being so heavy. Combined with enough room to grenade camp well and proper c4/mine placement he can control and pressure the map very well. Overall I think this is one of the top 5 Snake maps in the game. Even against the characters I said to avoid here Snake still does stand a chance making it a good neutral to go to! (The top 3 worst would have to be Diddy, Pit, DDD)

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
I think FD should be next:

FD is a very good stage for snake flat and wide open. Giving snake a lot of long range camping game as well as a couple nice pressure setups .This gives Snake many advantages:

-The Stage is pretty big and snake can easily live to 200% against a lot of the cast with good DI
-Snake hits HARD so we can finish people off at half the percentage that we can live to here! I think the average utilt kills at 110% here

- Easy Nade camping
The Map is very large and your nades cover a lot of ground very fast. This stage is even good against some other projectile spammers (DDD, Toon Link, Link) Your nades out range their projectile game for the most part making this easier. If the character has no projectiles you can sit back and wait for them to come into Ftilt range and we all know how good that is =p

- Mortar Slide covers a lot of ground on this map

- Mortar Edge guarding at its finest without platforms to escape to like on Smashville and BF
Just Shoot up a few mortars drop a grenade roll back and then judge their recovery. If they try to recover high a full hoped nair works. Miss timed the mortars and their recovery? you can still plant a c4 near the edge and toss another nade to give them tougher options again:

Roll = Free utilt/c4 your choice
Jump = utilt/full hopped nair
Get up= probably a nade or c4 in there face
Get up attack = a free grab/mortar slide
regrab the edge for invincibility = there best option and then you just repeat the process! too fun

I personally like to place c4 near the edges or dead center of the stage depending on the match up.

-Center
If they have no projectiles and need to approach you can put it on the center of the map and camp one side with nades. Use it as another threat to their approach (it's very nerve racking being around c4 at high percents and they WILL hesitate or be wary of it) it also allows you an easy mortar slide on there approach to get to the other side of the stage and repeat the process.

-Edges
obviously just like every other stage as another edge guard threat and when they are trying to keep the distance from you. Good against any type of play style and used more often vs campy opponents. I also like to place mines on the edges and camp the opposite side to pressure them back into mines and c4.

-Camping spots
Center stage with c4/mines behind you so they have to get close and personal or be blow up
either edge with c4 in the middle or the opposite side of the stage

Characters to AVOID here:

Diddy Kong - BAN THIS ALL DAY Bananas are tough to deal with and can cause you tons of problems! It's Diddys best map!

Pikachu - Lots of Room for Jolt spam, combos and annoying thunders

DDD - no one likes to be chain grabbed across the stage for 40-50% DDD also lives along time here. (other then that your projectiles out range him here!)

Falco - Lasers have can control a lot of the stage and they can pressure you well here (Falco also gets some easy chaingrabs)

Wolf- Lasers see falco but with properly placed c4 and wolfs shaky recovery this one is winnable!

Pit - Easy arrow spam and lots of room to work with!

R.O.B - Lots of room for rob to camp with lasers and gyro. He also lives a long time here because of his great recovery and how big the stage is. (although it is harder for R.O.B to score offstage gimps here)

Characters to TAKE here -

DK - He wants to be in your face and get you in the air. The camping game really makes it hard for him to approach and lets you get some easy %

Meta Knight - the horizontal distance is the best of all the starters and you live more often after a shuttle loop! tornado approach is easy to grenade and grenade counter because of how big the stage is. It just makes it overall harder to approach snake and get him in the air. This is always welcomed against meta Knight.

Wario - Again the same with DK your ground game is amplified and warios pressure game is nerfed due to the stage size and your ability to grenade camp.

I'm not going to list why I think its good against almost the rest of the cast but you can get the point. Snake has an advantage against most of the cast here and he has a better survive/kill ratio due to how strong he is and being so heavy. Combined with enough room to grenade camp well and proper c4/mine placement he can control and pressure the map very well. Overall I think this is one of the top 5 Snake maps in the game. Even against the characters I said to avoid here Snake still does stand a chance making it a good neutral to go to! (The top 3 worst would have to be Diddy, Pit, DDD)
^

You forgot explosives placement. C4 on 1st line, mine on the second.

Nope

Smash Lord
You forgot explosives placement. C4 on 1st line, mine on the second.
Negative! maybe I should reword it

-Center (placement of c4)

-Edges (Placement of c4)

I will also add I do not like to place mines in the center here more often then not I find myself blowing myself up

Staco

Smash Champion
against metaknight I like to lie down a down smash at the middle of the stage
you can use it to camp a way better with granades, usmash and some well timed nairs etc.

no more to say xD

cycon365

Smash Apprentice
Normal Camo on FD is all I have to add. Leaf Camo somewhat, the green is too different, but the dark colors are a little worthwhile

Staco

Smash Champion
is fd the best stage for snake, or are there better ones?
I prefer norfair with 8 edges, where you can infinite Oo

Top Bottom